ADVERTISEMENT

The 15 Club-NIL for UK

CatPatrick13

Junior
Sep 17, 2015
Atlanta
DEAR KENTUCKY 15 CLUB MEMBER:

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US TO CONTRIBUTE AND ENGAGE WITH KENTUCKY STUDENT-ATHLETES. WE’RE SURE YOU’RE EAGER TO HEAR FROM US AND WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THE NEXT STEPS FOR MEMBERSHIP ACTIVATION.
IN JANUARY 2023 WE WILL UNVEIL THE BRAND NEW 15 CLUB WEBSITE. YOU WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL WITH INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO LOGIN AND GAIN ACCESS TO EXCITING MEMBER BENEFITS SUCH AS:
  • ACCESS TO THE 15 CLUB MARKETPLACE (AVAILABLE JANUARY 2023) WITH MEMBERS ONLY MERCHANDISE
  • ACCESS TO UNIQUE PLAYER INTERACTIONS AND VIDEOS FOR MEMBERS ONLY
  • TICKETS TO STUDENT-ATHLETE EVENTS FOR MEMBERS ONLY
  • BEGINNING IN JANUARY 2023 WE WILL BEGIN SHIPPING MEMBERS ONLY REWARDS ACCORDING TO YOUR TIER LEVEL.

WE WILL SHARE WITH YOU SOME OF THE MEMBERS ONLY MERCHANDISE IN THE COMING WEEKS AS WE CONTINUE TO ENGAGE

THIS email was as a result of my donation. Not sure what happens next but it’s a start.

I buy season tickets but no way am I paying my hard earned money so some 18 year old might come to UK. I’d rather donate that to a good cause.

DEAR KENTUCKY 15 CLUB MEMBER:

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US TO CONTRIBUTE AND ENGAGE WITH KENTUCKY STUDENT-ATHLETES. WE’RE SURE YOU’RE EAGER TO HEAR FROM US AND WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THE NEXT STEPS FOR MEMBERSHIP ACTIVATION.
IN JANUARY 2023 WE WILL UNVEIL THE BRAND NEW 15 CLUB WEBSITE. YOU WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL WITH INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO LOGIN AND GAIN ACCESS TO EXCITING MEMBER BENEFITS SUCH AS:
  • ACCESS TO THE 15 CLUB MARKETPLACE (AVAILABLE JANUARY 2023) WITH MEMBERS ONLY MERCHANDISE
  • ACCESS TO UNIQUE PLAYER INTERACTIONS AND VIDEOS FOR MEMBERS ONLY
  • TICKETS TO STUDENT-ATHLETE EVENTS FOR MEMBERS ONLY
  • BEGINNING IN JANUARY 2023 WE WILL BEGIN SHIPPING MEMBERS ONLY REWARDS ACCORDING TO YOUR TIER LEVEL.

WE WILL SHARE WITH YOU SOME OF THE MEMBERS ONLY MERCHANDISE IN THE COMING WEEKS AS WE CONTINUE TO ENGAGE

THIS email was as a result of my donation. Not sure what happens next but it’s a start.
I am in.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
I don't get why everyone thinks that we as fans should contribute to pay "student athletes" to play for our team. We contribute enough by buying merchandise, tickets and tv packages to watch the games. Can you imagine how laughable it would be if a pro team started asking fans to do this? I buy tickets. I buy UK gear. I have cable and streaming packages solely for the reason to watch the games. If the school needs/wants to pay players then they make more than enough revenue from these sources to pay the players.

Reactions: Cefiro and KyCatFan
I'll send them .15 cents. Be glad you got that.

The liquor and the horse industry should be paying for all the NIL around here amongst other things. Bunch of no good greedy bastards.
6 the 10 poorest counties United States reside in Kentucky. The gal to ask people for money around here!
But yet the liquor and the horse industry and the University of Kentucky (sec network check). just keep getting on getting on ...with their money making ways. Record profits.
For now .

Reactions: ukfan041
I’ll pay them if they promise to point-shave or cover spreads in my favor. If they refuse then I’m not giving them squat. Players, if you’re reading this, DM me. We can make some real money.

Not happening. Have to bribe players to come here and then they quit on us. Definitely not contributing to this and if Kentucky sports goes under because of the lack of donations then so be it. I got other things I can do to keep me occupied. I already contribute by going to an occasional game, buying merchandise, and paying for the service that broadcasts their games. All of those put money back into the school's pockets.

I don't get why everyone thinks that we as fans should contribute to pay "student athletes" to play for our team. We contribute enough by buying merchandise, tickets and tv packages to watch the games. Can you imagine how laughable it would be if a pro team started asking fans to do this? I buy tickets. I buy UK gear. I have cable and streaming packages solely for the reason to watch the games. If the school needs/wants to pay players then they make more than enough revenue from these sources to pay the players.

You're not understanding the current culture in college athletics. This is now the way of the world. Buying season tickets does not help to procure good players.

I'll never criticize anyone for how they want to spend their own money. But, your post shows a lack of understanding of today's college sports landscape.

You're not understanding the current culture in college athletics. This is now the way of the world. Buying season tickets does not help to procure good players.

I'll never criticize anyone for how they want to spend their own money. But, your post shows a lack of understanding of today's college sports landscape.
What I don't think you understand is that we do get the current culture of college athletics and are completely disgusted by it. I've enjoyed it all my life but I can find other things to do with my time.

Unfortunately, that’s not how the rules work right now. Our program needs these donations to continue to stay competitive. I don’t like it, but I don’t see any other alternative right now

What I don't think you understand is that we do get the current culture of college athletics and are completely disgusted by it. I've enjoyed it all my life but I can find other things to do with my time.
I agree with you, but I find it hard to decide. I also love our program, too

It's shows no lack of understanding. I understand today's college sports landscape just fine. Doesn't change how ridiculous it is that people expect the fans to pay for players. It's your lack of understanding that is keeping you from seeing how ridiculous this is. This isn't college sports any more. There no student athletes. Only semi professional players. Only, unlike the pro's, they are asking the fans to pony up to help pay the salaries.

Our best players can't play in the bowl game? You ain't getting the damn thing from Kentucky fans in the NIL. Stupid if you give them two cent

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
I can't imagine any of us actually like this. But we have two choices: embrace it and succeed or distance ourselves from it and fail. It's as simple as that. Do we want to win or not? If we do, then it appears we are going to have to be willing to invest more than 3 hours each Saturday and some emotion to make it happen.

I am so insulted that I am being asked for donations for this but I am pretty sure that this with free agency every year will be the reason college football goes away for me like MLB did in the mid 90s.
Why would you be insulted? This is capitalism, the SCOTUS voted 9-0 that the NCAA couldn’t prevent athletes from being paid. People are willing to pay them, nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to do so. Regardless others will do so, so if UK wishes to complete they will need to do so.
Everyone in the sport is making more and more money. Why shouldn’t the athletes be able to get more as well?

It's shows no lack of understanding. I understand today's college sports landscape just fine. Doesn't change how ridiculous it is that people expect the fans to pay for players. It's your lack of understanding that is keeping you from seeing how ridiculous this is. This isn't college sports any more. There no student athletes. Only semi professional players. Only, unlike the pro's, they are asking the fans to pony up to help pay the salaries.
There is no requirement for you to participate. There are people who want this so they can be a participant just as people show up to games to show their support. If you were in a position to seek NIL support you wouldn’t?
To be clear, the schools are prohibited from paying players.
Seriously, players have been paid one way or another for decades. My sister on several occasions drove Sonny Collins to the home of a UK supporter. Sonny would go in, be there maybe 5 minutes and leave $500 richer. 1972, 1973 $500 would be $3500 today. Is it really that different being above the table rather than below?

I'll send them .15 cents. Be glad you got that.

The liquor and the horse industry should be paying for all the NIL around here amongst other things. Bunch of no good greedy bastards.
6 the 10 poorest counties United States reside in Kentucky. The gal to ask people for money around here!
But yet the liquor and the horse industry and the University of Kentucky (sec network check). just keep getting on getting on ...with their money making ways. Record profits.
For now .
UK can’t pay, still rules against that. I’m sure there is plenty of horse and liquor money in the pot. But if every other school has collectives for fans who want to contribute $25/mo to add to the pot you don’t think UK should as well? How are those who want to contribute suppose how to do so if they don’t advertise it?
People complained because Mitch wasn’t telling fans about the collective. They finally get around to advertising it and people complain they saw an advertisement.
Poor people shouldn’t contribute but not everyone is poor.

Why would you be insulted? This is capitalism, the SCOTUS voted 9-0 that the NCAA couldn’t prevent athletes from being paid. People are willing to pay them, nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to do so. Regardless others will do so, so if UK wishes to complete they will need to do so.
Everyone in the sport is making more and more money. Why shouldn’t the athletes be able to get more as well?
I don't have your disposable income because I don't welch on bets.

There is no requirement for you to participate. There are people who want this so they can be a participant just as people show up to games to show their support. If you were in a position to seek NIL support you wouldn’t?
To be clear, the schools are prohibited from paying players.
Seriously, players have been paid one way or another for decades. My sister on several occasions drove Sonny Collins to the home of a UK supporter. Sonny would go in, be there maybe 5 minutes and leave $500 richer. 1972, 1973 $500 would be $3500 today. Is it really that different being above the table rather than below?
The difference is they are asking and expect fans to pay for play now. No shit, there's no requirement? I wouldn't have known if you didn't tell me. I will never donate for NIL. The schools have always paid. Again they get plenty of revenue to pay players. I don't pay pro payers salaries and I won't pay college players. If you want to throw money away, have at it

The difference is they are asking and expect fans to pay for play now. No shit, there's no requirement? I wouldn't have known if you didn't tell me. I will never donate for NIL. The schools have always paid. Again they get plenty of revenue to pay players. I don't pay pro payers salaries and I won't pay college players. If you want to throw money away, have at it
Again, schools cannot pay the players. Schools in the past paid via boosters who funneled money to players. Rarely if ever was money coming out of the school’s pocket.
“Expecting”? When you see a commercial for Pampers do you feel like they expect you to buy Pampers or are they making a sales pitch?

There’s a big difference between a top 20 class and a class ranked in the 60s.

Sucks to be you.

Obviously but 15 to 20 isn't winning anything that matters in the SEC. It's not our job to buy players, but people are free to waste money on whatever they want.

Obviously but 15 to 20 isn't winning anything that matters in the SEC. It's not our job to buy players, but people are free to waste money on whatever they want.
So, if they can’t win it all then there’s no reason to even field a team or even try? You’ll certainly never win if you don’t try to compete. Self fulfilling prophecy.

I agree with you, but I find it hard to decide. I also love our program, too
I understand that. UK basketball and football have been a huge part of my life for going on five decades now. Old habits die hard. As disgusting as the current environment is, it’s hard to let go. But my interest is fading by the day.

Reactions: BigBlueCatNation
Again, schools cannot pay the players. Schools in the past paid via boosters who funneled money to players. Rarely if ever was money coming out of the school’s pocket.
“Expecting”? When you see a commercial for Pampers do you feel like they expect you to buy Pampers or are they making a sales pitch?
Again, I know schools can't pay players but you and every else knows they do now they are just hiding it behind nil, which was never what NIL was meant for. I never said schools had athletes on a payroll. You just want to argue. Buying pampers or any item isn't the same as asking for donations to pay players. There's no comparison. Stop trying to argue. You can't win.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Again, I know schools can't pay players but you and every else knows they do now they are just hiding it behind nil, which was never what NIL was meant for. I never said schools had athletes on a payroll. You just want to argue. Buying pampers or any item isn't the same as asking for donations to pay players. There's no comparison. Stop trying to argue. You can't win.
I’m not trying to argue, I’m trying to understand your position. Schools, especially UK fought against NIL. Mitch has been criticized for moving too slowly to accommodate the new landscape.
NIL was born out of legal challenges brought by players against the NCAA that limited their ability to earn income. Once that Pandora’s box was opened… When you say, “[it] was never what NIL was meant for”, what does that mean? Meant for by whom? Isn’t NIL simply the label placed on the lack of rules surrounding compensation?
If you’re told you can’t limit income and fans at State U decide they want to pay players to attract them to their school, do you expect others to not do so?
At whom is your displeasure directed and if you were in Mitch’s position, what would you do differently? Would you reject fan collectives?

ADVERTISEMENT