ADVERTISEMENT

Texas is not very Good!

gracetoyou

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
And Bamba just looks out of place to me.

If Shaka doesn't do really well this year could be some talking. They had talent last year & more this year. They'll do better than last year for sure but don't see this team Making any noise

If Shaka doesn't do really well this year could be some talking. They had talent last year & more this year. They'll do better than last year for sure but don't see this team Making any noise

maybe, but their leading scorer in Andrew Jones just went down for the rest of the year probably. That'll make about any team look mediocre.

Shaka scored on a big way with Bamba, yes, but just hasn't lived up to expectations with recruiting and on the court.

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
I posted on here once before and I will say it again I am not impressed with Bamba. Michigan took him away from the basket. He can block shots but very little offense. I was pulling for Michigan anyways. Smart IMO is not using Bamba correctly.

Shaka scored on a big way with Bamba, yes, but just hasn't lived up to expectations with recruiting and on the court.
Shaka smart record at Texas is 37-37. 2 full seasons and the games played this season

Cal needs to use Bamba as an example... Just like Bridges, CJ Leslie, Quincy Miller, Ivan Raab, anyone that went to Kansas, etc..

Also, don't care what happens to Bamba at this point. He wanted the easy way out. Don't give a shit if it burns him. You're an absolute idiot if you pass on Kentucky in 2017. Simple as that.

Shaka is so overrated!! He has Never won a regular season championship at either VCU or Texas!!

Reactions: blubo
I posted on here once before and I will say it again I am not impressed with Bamba. Michigan took him away from the basket. He can block shots but very little offense. I was pulling for Michigan anyways. Smart IMO is not using Bamba correctly.
Word is Bamba was told he could play outside if he would go to Texas

Bamba playing 35 min with only one person foul says he's really good or lack of effort. He did have 4 blocks though. Can't decide.

UT could've gotten a better coach in basketball and football so one has to wonder what's going on with the Athletic Department, not that anyone outside of Austin really cares. Shaka will have a longer leash than most coaches down there unless he makes enemies with the Administration.

Looking at Bamba's stats. He's like an Anthony Davis light. Nothing wrong with that.

Gee- why would an elite big man want to play for a guy who coached Cousins, Patterson, Kanter, Davis, Noel, Randle, Cauley-Stein, Towns and Adebayo when you can go play for a guy known for pressing with four guards?

Bamba made a mistake. Who knows what was going on there? Maybe it was a dumb decision, or maybe an "influenced" decision. I have no inside information, so can only guess. But his recruitment ended strangely. Had Bamba signed with UK, Calipari would have used him correctly and made a rich man out of him. Live and learn.

Bamba was a fool. It’s not like he chose to be a hometown hero and play in-state. He still went to the other side of the country, not only turning down the elite team, development, and exposure Kentucky would have given him, but threw away the opportunity to play with a cadre of his best friends from AAU. There is zero doubt in my mind that if Bamba had come to UK he would be in the discussion for #1 draft pick. Right now, he’s cleanly outside of it. He’ll still go pro and get a nice pick on measurables, but what a waste of what could have been a legendary college season.

Bamba was a fool. It’s not like he chose to be a hometown hero and play in-state. He still went to the other side of the country, not only turning down the elite team, development, and exposure Kentucky would have given him, but threw away the opportunity to play with a cadre of his best friends from AAU. There is zero doubt in my mind that if Bamba had come to UK he would be in the discussion for #1 draft pick. Right now, he’s cleanly outside of it. He’ll still go pro and get a nice pick on measurables, but what a waste of what could have been a legendary college season.
I agree. But it's done. The silver lining is that Bamba's absence gives Nick Richards his opportunity. Richards wanted to be a Wildcat. At the end of the day, Richards might turn out to be a better player than Bamba. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Gee- why would an elite big man want to play for a guy who coached Cousins, Patterson, Kanter, Davis, Noel, Randle, Cauley-Stein, Towns and Adebayo when you can go play for a guy known for pressing with four guards?
Damn good question...especially in light of the fact that the kid in question is supposed to be super (as in Harvard was a legitimate option for him) bright.

And along those same lines of thought, does anyone think he'd be playing for us if his brother had released the same info he released back in September, with the only change to the allegations being replacing Texas with UK? Me neither...

In my opinion, Bamba should have been used like KAT was. Develop his inside game, and let him dominate the rim. Then, when he gets to the NBA, he can use his outside shot, and ball handling skills, to become a great all-around player. Seems like every big man wants to be a guard, and coaches like Smart promise them that outside freedom, when it isn't in the best interest of the player, or the team.

I have always said I didn't think Bamba was this can;t miss prospect for his 1 year in College. He is no where near as good as the Bagley or Ayton. I do think Calipari could have gotten alot more out of him though.

In my opinion, Bamba should have been used like KAT was. Develop his inside game, and let him dominate the rim. Then, when he gets to the NBA, he can use his outside shot, and ball handling skills, to become a great all-around player. Seems like every big man wants to be a guard, and coaches like Smart promise them that outside freedom, when it isn't in the best interest of the player, or the team.

Bamba is Noel like, will always be. He just does not have the handles, shooting touch or basketball IQ to ever be a major offensive player and he needs to work on his upper body strength to be an effective one on one defender, imo, Richards is better and will be better in the NBA because of there college selections. But man, could you imagine both Bamba and Richards both blocking shots inside..

Bamba, Zimmerman, brown at California.. Bamba nit bound
But Bamba was very impressed with the way Jaredwhateverhisnameis that played at UT last year developed. Say hello to the NIT big Mo.

Bamba made a mistake. Who knows what was going on there? Maybe it was a dumb decision, or maybe an "influenced" decision. I have no inside information, so can only guess. But his recruitment ended strangely. Had Bamba signed with UK, Calipari would have used him correctly and made a rich man out of him. Live and learn.

He's going to be a millionaire in a few months. Will be a very high lottery pick and he knew this going in to his college choice. Didn't want to play second or third fiddle to Knox and Diallo at UK.

This is the new world of recruiting. Lots of top-3 guys don't want the work and the fishbowl that is UK. NBA guys don't seem to care if a Ben Simmons phones it in for a year at LSU, or a Jaylen Brown inexplicably goes to Cal for a year. And they won't care how bad Texas is this year either.

Lol. Look at him chucking threes.

Texas isn't a basketball team but players doing like a warm up line chucking threes.

He's still going to be a top 5 pick, which is where he was always going. Texas hasn't hurt him in that regard.

He's a smart kid, made the choice he wanted to make for the reasons he wanted to make it, even if it seems foolish to us. I really think he's just wired a little differently and that combined with the relationship with Shaka won out.

He's a crazy prospect though. Lots of fun to watch. What that kid turns into when he's 24 could be scary.

Texas is a horribly coached team. They have guys who don't get in defensive stances, they have no clue about playing team defense, Bamba just does whatever he feels like on both sides of the ball. It's embarrassing to watch. Their best offensive player with Jones out is Kerwin Roach and he barely touches the ball watching those crappy guards drive and throw crap up at the basket. Every day Bamba stays in that program he's regressing because he's sure as hell not getting better.

When you watch a program play, usually it takes 2 min to figure out what they want to do offensively/defensively and there is an urgency and intensity about them. Texas seems like team just got done with a yoga session and is going to have an "herbal break" (leaving that to your own imagination) before going to local gym to get some shots up.

Throw in the fact that Hillbilly Jim was allowed to get away with a flagrant foul and gutless officials refused to call it due to time/score of game which is just another sign of god awful officiating, and compare that to if a UK player did same act? PJ Washington got a tech for nudging a guy after a cheapshot (the Shai Alexander made basket flagrant play earlier in year) and this Hick throws an elbow intentionally and gets a regular foul. Then again Charles Matthews did make mistake of playing in Lexington at one time, so think we've got our answer there.

it's surprising to me that so many of these talented prospects would willingly commit career suicide by signing on with the Kansases and Texases of the world--especially when they have offers in hand from Big Daddy UK.

That's like turning down a multi-million dollar career at Apple's Corporate office in Cupertino for a job as one of the Blue Shirt Geeks at your local mall. SAD!!

Ive said before and will continue to about guys like Bamba sure they will get paid but missing out on being on a bigtime team like UK having a shot to actually win something, be in the tourney etc...its not now that you feel it ,yeah because you got paid. its down the road years later when maybe you didnt win crap in the NBA and your watching the tourney like TMAC did and you realize, shit ive never won anything and didnt get to experience march maddness..... what did i miss...

Reactions: Double Oaked Juice

$$$$$

That's because Bamba is using Shaka. He essentially does what he wants w/o fear of being benched. Funny how 7 ft kids don't wanna play in the post.

Reactions: westerncat
The only time I saw Texas was when they played Duke in the PK80. They looked pretty good, especially some of their guards. A lot can change in a month of college hoops though. And I still wish we had gotten Bamba. Cal could have potentially made him a #1 overall pick.

Reactions: westerncat
ADVERTISEMENT