ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Bowl

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
Lane Kiffin has gone for it on 4th and several yards, behind his own 50 twice in the first Q and is getting his lunch eaten, 17-7.

Did his punter and half his defense opt out?

These supposed analytics showing that going for it on 4th down as beneficial were likely compiled against tired defenses in 4th Q’as, and/or when it was completely unexpected. Hence, doing it habitually might not confirm the statistics suggesting it be done.

Last edited:
Ole Miss lost I think 5 of their last 6. Kiffin's decision to go for it on multiple 4ths and whatever in his own territory has been cute....not so much when he fails which happens more and more it seems and those failures turn into points for his opponents. He apparently had a poor recruiting class. He does return a good QB and a 1000+ yard freshman RB but guess he's going to have to really hit the portal hard. His seat will get really hot next year if he doesn't turn around the disaster that was the second half of his '22 season.

For whatever reason, lots of SEC teams had disappointing seasons, UK, Ole Miss, especially A&M, Florida, hell, even Alabama, any year outside of the playoffs is a down year by their standards.

2022 was a strange year in the SEC, may partially explain the 1-3 record in bowl games so far. Was nearly 0-4 when Arkansas nearly gave away a 38-13 lead last night.

Seems like going for it on Fourth down is the "in" thing to do. I don't think it is smart to do it on your side of the fifty unless it is short, and you are behind in the fourth quarter. Analytics has killed baseball for me with its launch angles and its home run or strikeout swings. There are more hitters below the Mendoza Line than ever before, and it does not seem to bother anybody. Bunting is a lost art, moving people over with a hit to right field is a lost art and smart base running is a lost art. I know I am old, but the game is boring for me to watch now.

Seems like going for it on Fourth down is the "in" thing to do. I don't think it is smart to do it on your side of the fifty unless it is short, and you are behind in the fourth quarter. Analytics has killed baseball for me with its launch angles and its home run or strikeout swings. There are more hitters below the Mendoza Line than ever before, and it does not seem to bother anybody. Bunting is a lost art, moving people over with a hit to right field is a lost art and smart base running is a lost art. I know I am old, but the game is boring for me to watch now.
I'm with you John re current MLB baseball. The old philosophy of "get'em on, get'm over, get'em in" has been replaced with "swing hard in case you hit it." I'm old school, probably old, old school. My favorite baseball quote comes from Willie Mays: "They throw it, I hit it. They hit it I catch it."

Reactions: Johnfarrel
For whatever reason, lots of SEC teams had disappointing seasons, UK, Ole Miss, especially A&M, Florida, hell, even Alabama, any year outside of the playoffs is a down year by their standards.

2022 was a strange year in the SEC, may partially explain the 1-3 record in bowl games so far. Was nearly 0-4 when Arkansas nearly gave away a 38-13 lead last night.
Kansas QB, a soph, threw for 500+ yards and Arkansas ran for almost 400 yards. I think Arkansas had numerous opt-outs/portal guys miss the game. Crazy game.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
I'm with you John re current MLB baseball. The old philosophy of "get'em on, get'm over, get'em in" has been replaced with "swing hard in case you hit it." I'm old school, probably old, old school. My favorite baseball quote comes from Willie Mays: "They throw it, I hit it. They hit it I catch it."
Right on. Pitching has changed too. Now it's throw it a hundred miles an hour and pray you can hit the strike zone, have Tommy John's surgery in mid season and miss the following year. Pitchers like Wainwright are a dying breed.

Lane Kiffin has gone for it on 4th and several yards, behind his own 50 twice in the first Q and is getting his lunch eaten, 17-7.

Did his punter and half his defense opt out?

These supposed analytics showing that going for it on 4th down as beneficial were likely compiled against tired defenses in 4th Q’as, and/or when it was completely unexpected. Hence, doing it habitually might not confirm the statistics suggesting it be done.

He has done this the last couple of seasons. It might be the right call against the cream puffs, but I haven't seen it work in his favor against a team with a pulse. To think OM went to great lengths to keep him.

ADVERTISEMENT