ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and Oklahoma have officially notified the Big XII they’re gone

If you want to see more SEC schools recruit Texas, join the SEC. With A&M, LSU, and Texas all regularly pulling from Texas, I can now see schools like UK seeking Texas players who just want to compete with the best. It will be interesting to see how this hurts TCU, Baylor and Tech beyond the demise of the BIG 12.

Reactions: The-Hack
If you want to see more SEC schools recruit Texas, join the SEC. With A&M, LSU, and Texas all regularly pulling from Texas, I can now see schools like UK seeking Texas players who just want to compete with the best. It will be interesting to see how this hurts TCU, Baylor and Tech beyond the demise of the BIG 12.

Everyone is recruiting Texas, the Big10 schools will be the ones hurt most if this all works out.

Everyone is recruiting Texas, the Big10 schools will be the ones hurt most if this all works out.
[/QUOTE

If you are correct and I think along those same lines….this HURTS UK!!

OSU has dipped into Texas quite a bit, now with more of these kids staying in the “New SEC” OSU will now be taking more in state kids, this cutting UK out of guys like Benny and Lynn who were back burnered by the Buckeyes.

Perhaps the oddest thing in this is the team that seems the keystone.
Texas has not been relevant OTHER THAN IN THE MINDS OF THE MEDIA since......well, maybe when Vince Young was quarterback?
That's been long enough all those guys are retired from the NFL.

Oklahoma is the prize in this deal.

Texas is the prize...they are the richest college brand of them all...this is about business not about sports results.

The Big XII Official Response

Texas has not been relevant OTHER THAN IN THE MINDS OF THE MEDIA since......well, maybe when Vince Young was quarterback?

As odd as this is to say considering the lack of success he has had since leaving Texas, but the downfall of Texas started when Muschamp left to take the UF job. While he was there, Texas was picking who they wanted from the state of Texas, and their recruiting class was all but done in June. When he left, recruiting dropped and results on the field started to show that.

With all the things going on now, I don't know why A&M is so upset, maybe not being in the loop, but they should be able to put some beatdowns on Texas now, they should enjoy it.

True re Oklahoma but wouldn't be surprised if Riley eventually takes his show to the NFL.

Reactions: billoliver40

But are they relevant in the media? That is the key question. And, I think OK and Texas have said all along that they are attached at the hip.

Reactions: billoliver40
Why would we recruit Texas when A&M, and Texas will rule the roost there, I know there's a lot of talent down there, but We would be way down the pecking order for the states best. I wouldn't want to go there and compete with lower tier programs for recruits. We need to stick to our bread and butter, and continue to recruit Big 10 and ACC territory for players who want to compete in the SEC and still be relatively close to home.

Reactions: AustinTXCat

Unlike Tennessee, Texas will be back.

So it will be 2025 or 2026 before they would officially join?

I think they'll join before then. This is part of their media campaign to get the other BIG12 schools to find a new home. There's no GOR without a conference. But if that doesn't happen, they'll pay the BIG12, and leave. I can't imagine two teams staying in a league under those circumstances for the next four years.

Why would we recruit Texas when A&M, and Texas will rule the roost there, I know there's a lot of talent down there, but We would be way down the pecking order for the states best. I wouldn't want to go there and compete with lower tier programs for recruits. We need to stick to our bread and butter, and continue to recruit Big 10 and ACC territory for players who want to compete in the SEC and still be relatively close to home.
Why would SEC schools be “way down the pecking order for the state’s best” if Texas kids want to play in the SEC? If Texas and A&M are in the SEC (I include LSU, because it recruits Texas hard), why would those players who don’t get picked by the big 2 of Texas not want to play in the SEC? The other Texas programs will likely be in far inferior leagues.

short answer: for the same reason we recruit Florida.

Last edited:

For the same reason you recruit Georgia and Florida. You may not be in play for many of the top 10, maybe even 20. But you are there for the next tier which is better than the top tier in about 45 states.

Reactions: mrschwump
I am all for adding Texas and Oklahoma from a $$$ perspective....but I don't get why some fans are worried about adding more competition. Personally, I think Texas will be better but to be fair...they've had a decade of some bad Big12 teams. Their best record in 7-2 (one time) in last decade in that conference. The norm is stuff like 5-4.

Am I the only one thinking as Texas and Oklahoma have to play a 9 game SEC slate....they'll be spending more time at 3-4 losses. Heck Mizzou was winning their side of Big 12 before coming to SEC.....now UK is solidly ahead of them. I just think it will be more likely to see schools like Auburn, LSU, Florida, Bama, UGA, stay ahead of them both and middle tier schools like Texas AM, Tenn, UK, Mizzou, Ole Miss, etc...to maybe push Texas to middle tier vs. top tier.

You actually have to line up in a defense in SEC...not something witnessed in Big 12 lately.

Now the question becomes will we ever actually play Oklahoma and/or Texas? A&M still has never played football in Lexington, and they've been in the conference how long now?

As far as recruiting, Stoops has name recognition in Texas thanks to brother Bob. OU has always been made up primarily of Texas high school players.

Now the question becomes will we ever actually play Oklahoma and/or Texas? A&M still has never played football in Lexington, and they've been in the conference how long now?

As far as recruiting, Stoops has name recognition in Texas thanks to brother Bob. OU has always been made up primarily of Texas high school players.

They are expanding out now, hitting Cali, Florida and Georgia pretty hard. Very likely they sign the top kid in Georgua in 23, parents are both alumus and Dad played there. They will put up some points, they have some offensive weapons.

Texas and Oklahoma officially requested an invitation to the SEC this morning. Reportedly will be a called meeting Thursday in the SEC to discuss, no mention of a vote.

The league might tell Texas A&M they are the watchdogs over Texas to make sure they realize times have changed.

I am all for adding Texas and Oklahoma from a $$$ perspective....but I don't get why some fans are worried about adding more competition. Personally, I think Texas will be better but to be fair...they've had a decade of some bad Big12 teams. Their best record in 7-2 (one time) in last decade in that conference. The norm is stuff like 5-4.

Am I the only one thinking as Texas and Oklahoma have to play a 9 game SEC slate....they'll be spending more time at 3-4 losses. Heck Mizzou was winning their side of Big 12 before coming to SEC.....now UK is solidly ahead of them. I just think it will be more likely to see schools like Auburn, LSU, Florida, Bama, UGA, stay ahead of them both and middle tier schools like Texas AM, Tenn, UK, Mizzou, Ole Miss, etc...to maybe push Texas to middle tier vs. top tier.

You actually have to line up in a defense in SEC...not something witnessed in Big 12 lately.
In what world is UK solidly ahead of Mizzou now? We have had a better SEC record than them once over the past 4 years and they had a better record than us last year.

TAMU and Mizzou have both proven that Big XII teams can come to the SEC and compete. Pinkel went 7-1 in conference 3 times in his career between the Big XII and SEC in 15 years. 2 of them were in the SEC. TAMU has had a losing conference record once in 9 years in the SEC. they had 3 losing conference records in the 4 years prior to joining the SEC.

If TAMU and Mizzou have taught us anything, it’s teams can come from the Big XII and compete at a similar or higher level than before.

Reactions: HCaulfield
Yes, Mizzou has already played in two SEC Championship Games, something we can only dream about. Texas A&M finished #4 in the nation last year.

In what world is UK solidly ahead of Mizzou now? We have had a better SEC record than them once over the past 4 years and they had a better record than us last year.
- Last year Mizzou beat UK at their place...and finished ahead of us in SEC....that I concede.
- But to be fair....UK won 5 in a row vs. Mizzou before that...So we've won 5 of the last 6 head to head...and some of those were beatdowns by UK. I'll call that UK is solidly ahead of them given that kind of streak. That is why I consider UK solidly ahead of Mizzou and South Carolina in SEC East....we've been better than them on the field like 5 of the last 6 years.

- Last year Mizzou beat UK at their place...and finished ahead of us in SEC....that I concede.
- But to be fair....UK won 5 in a row vs. Mizzou before that...So we've won 5 of the last 6 head to head...and some of those were beatdowns by UK. I'll call that UK is solidly ahead of them given that kind of streak. That is why I consider UK solidly ahead of Mizzou and South Carolina in SEC East....we've been better than them on the field like 5 of the last 6 years.
Fair enough on the 2nd point. I look at solidly ahead as us and Vandy. I feel like the Mizzou game is still a pretty even matched and all though we’ve won 5 of the last 6, they are generally close games.

ADVERTISEMENT