ADVERTISEMENT

Texas A&M

BIG BLUE GURU

Sophomore
Feb 10, 2007
Just curious. If Texas and Oklahoma do join the SEC what would keep Texas A&M from potentially looking to move to the ACC, Big Ten or PAC 12. Texas A&M hates Texas with a passion and are probably more than a little butt-hurt right now as that is the whole reason they left the Big 12.

Nothing is going to stop them. They have to decide as they said on "...what is in the best interest of Texas A&M..."
If they find the grass is greener some place else, God Speed.

Maybe the Big 12 will let them take the place of emperor Texas and keep half of whatever money there is....but without what the NCAA says is a competitive schedule they get to play in the Alamo Bowl....maybe.
Many say THEY should have been in the playoffs last year instead of Ohio State and their made for playoff Covid schedule. I agree. They need to keep that in mind before burning the house down to get the University of Texas stink out

Just curious. If Texas and Oklahoma do join the SEC what would keep Texas A&M from potentially looking to move to the ACC, Big Ten or PAC 12. Texas A&M hates Texas with a passion and are probably more than a little butt-hurt right now as that is the whole reason they left the Big 12.
They can leave for all I care. The SEC has kissed their asses since they joined.

Reactions: southindycat
But if they leave who does the SEC get that can fill that vacancy who can offer the market share and financial results the SEC is craving?

No one would leave the SEC. It's the most dominant conference in sports and the money is only going to get (much) bigger. Not happening. The SEC knows this and is so confident in this fact that they don't even charge an exit fee if someone leaves.

I think a key point that I see on this board is that a lot of people on here mistake nostalgia or "what is right" or "best fit" for what truly drives these decisions - THE BOTTOM LINE.

I have no great love for the SEC. I used to be the rah rah SEC fanboy, but then I realized that most of these schools don't cheer for UK in the NCAA tourney like we do for them and I have also seen the conference screw UK time and time again on the gridiron. So, I don't have any great nostalgia for the conference. But, I am also a realist. The SEC is the biggest baddest boy on the block. They're only going to get bigger and stronger. So, would UK be a better fit in the ACC? Yes. Would UK even consider giving up some of the power and money that comes from SEC membership? Absolutely not.

But if they leave who does the SEC get that can fill that vacancy who can offer the market share and financial results the SEC is craving?

The only way they might leave is if the Tea Sips and Sooners join. I would assume UTw and OU sell well in Texas.

IF this would happen, A&M getting pissed and leaving over Texas, in the SEC’s eyes would be the ultimate unintended consequences.
First, the SEC would not loose any market shares due to the Texas two step swap. Actually would gain shares by now including Oklahoma.
‘Second, it would give the conference the ability to turn their attention to the East without having to ask a current member to leave. Looking to the east gets the SEC in the last coveted TV markets of North Carolina & the DC Metro area by targeting North Carolina, NC St, Virginia/Virginia Tech or West Virginia. Easily one of these teams would jump at the opportunity to join the SEC . Best case is either NC St or Va Tech but no worse than WVU, and that would be a lock with Texas & Oklahoma leaving the Big 12. Hell WVU would do it without Texas & Oklahoma moving just due to the fact that the travel cost to compete in the Big 12 is killing them.

But in the end I expect A&M to suck it up and enjoy cashing those checks the SEC affords them to cash.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
T A&M is not leaving the SEC
they may not like UT but they are not stupid
they left the big12 for more reasons than not liking UT
money talks BS walks

T A&M is not leaving the SEC
they may not like UT but they are not stupid
they left the big12 for more reasons than not liking UT
money talks BS walks

But their board of regents is meeting Monday to discuss the contracts and how the conference is being run. Heck it would be another great rivalry in the conference. Everybody else just wants to beat their big rival, I think these 2 would like to burn the other campus to the ground.

They can whine all they want but they have zero leverage. SEC is the big time and getting bigger. You will not get the same recruits in the PAC or ACC. They don’t care about your tv market because they now have the more popular Texas in their pocket - in fact they’d welcome it to snag a new state. UNC or NC ST gets more TV sets than a less popular Texas team.

Sit there and cash your checks, A&M.

^ The stronger the SEC gets relative to other conferences, the easier it gets to make the case to recruits in non-SEC states to come to UK to play the best & become the best. E.g., OH/MI/IN guys.

I think that's a good point that may have been a bit overlooked. The counter point some are making is that "it will help all the other teams too so it's a wash" but I don't agree with that. I mean how much better can Bama, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M get? OTOH bordering a non-SEC area where there is a lot of football talent it gives us a geographical advantage to draw top players from Ohio, Michigan, Western Pa, occasionally Indiana. So it could have the end result of raising our recruiting classes up 5 or 10 notches while only to see the top tier teams stay the same or go up 2 or 3 notches. It's all hypothetical but to me it makes sense.

Last edited:
UK to the ACC. Better fit all around
The only reason we are where we're at now is because we're in the SEC.

Stoops came here with a plan to recruit Big 10 prospects to the closest SEC state and has done so fairly well.

Nobody's leaving Big 10 country to play in the ACC.

And even if we stayed just as good as we are now what are we going to do, go get stomped by Clemson instead?

And that's not even taking into account giving up ALL THE MONEY and founding SEC member status to be the new kid on the block in a crap conference.

Kentucky is going nowhere now. That ship was the last major shakeup a few years ago. When the Cats were going to final fours every couple years, that would have been attractive to the ACC.
Past few seasons including last year....nah.

Reactions: wildcatwolverine
Animosity between UTexas and TAMU runs quite deep here in the Lone Star State. I've worked with grads from both schools. Heh, one certain director I worked with came under fire because he's a TAMU grad, usually only hired TAMU grads and discarded most resumes submitted by UTexas grads. As he once told me, "Aggies have their heads on straight".

Even the respective higher learning systems, University of Texas System and Texas A&M University System, are considered enormous by US standards. Combined enrollment nears 400,000 students.

Governor Abbott is a UTexas undergrad AND Vanderbilt Law grad. I'm quite sure he'll bless this deal. Unlike late Lt. Governor Bob Bullock (Texas Tech '56, Baylor Law '58), who literally forced the Big XII merger, current Lt. Governor Dan Patrick is an "outsider" and therefore enjoys minimal input. Local talk radio reported Waco (Baylor) and Lubbock (Texas Tech) state reps plan on lobbying for their respective constituents. Big money and brand recognition are at stake.

Interesting times, for sure.

Well Texas would help offset that loss, but I could see Florida State or maybe Oklahoma St if the big 12 is going by the wayside.

Well Texas would help offset that loss, but I could see Florida State or maybe Oklahoma St if the big 12 is going by the wayside.
We would have our pick of any school in the Big 12 I'm sure.

I'd say an ACC school but it sounds like they'd all have to give up way too much money to leave their conference. I'd think NC State would be on the table. I wonder if North Carolina would consider leaving the ACC.

Kentucky is going nowhere now. That ship was the last major shakeup a few years ago. When the Cats were going to final fours every couple years, that would have been attractive to the ACC.
Thank goodness we are no longer attractive to the ACC. We will stay with the SEC and just keep beating their football teams!! :)

that really has nothing to do with it
it is all about the money a school can generate
look at UL they had only been to 1 or 2 FF's in 20 years before joining the ACC

i bet Tulane and Georgia Tech kick themselves in the but every day

I think these 2 would like to burn the other campus to the ground.

The beginning g of A& M’s fight song: “Good Bye to Texas . . . University . . . .”

So it could have the end result of raising our recruiting classes up 5 or 10 notches while only to see the top tier teams stay the same or go up 2 or 3 notches. It's all hypothetical but to me it makes sense.

Those wringing their hands are overlooking the obvious: our growth in FB recruiting in 2013 with Stoops was damn near in lock step with the last expansion.

Are we going to lose mid-western Four Stars to the Tea-sips or Sooners? Grandmaw better ride a fast horse to see Junior play in Texas or Oklahoma!!

The roads to any SEC school (other than Mizzou) will still pass through Kentucky, for those in our mid-western recruiting footprint.

The biggest potential losers if this comes to pass: Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame and Clemson.

SEC recruiters can tell them if “they want in the game,” the SEC is the game. Sure, it’s been that way for 25 years, but it will be all the more evident, soon.

Last edited:
^ The stronger the SEC gets relative to other conferences, the easier it gets to make the case to recruits in non-SEC states to come to UK to play the best & become the best. E.g., OH/MI/IN guys.
But they won't be quality recruits if you're getting your brains beat in every week. Even Stoops is not in favor of more SEC games and there will be more league games if this expansion happens.

Also, if expansion happens does this nix the 12 game college football playoff? Nobody will want to watch 6 or 7 SEC teams in a playoff if they've already seen them play during the regular season.

Last edited:
Everybody else just wants to beat their big rival, I think these 2 would like to burn the other campus to the ground.
TRUE, FACT. The school cultures are so, so different. Big city political Libs vs. leave me the hell alone, country boy Conserves. TX campus as buried in city as GT or OSU. A&M has the largest campus in the country around next to nothing. Most of it open space.

But they won't be quality recruits if you're getting your brains beat in every week. Even Stoops is not in favor of more SEC games and there will be more league games if this expansion happens.

Also, if expansion happens does this nix the 12 game college football playoff? Nobody will want to watch 6 or 7 SEC teams in a playoff if they've already seen them play during the regular season.
Well, we have to get enough recruits from non-SEC territory so that doesn't happen. Stoops is doing that now & I think this makes his & Marrow's jobs easier.

The NFL playoffs are among teams that have already played. Does that hurt them?

The beginning g of A& M’s fight song: “Good Bye to Texas . . . University . . . .”

Those wringing their hands are overlooking the obvious: our growth in FB recruiting in 2013 with Stoops was damn near in lock step with the last expansion.

Are we going to lose mid-western Four Stars to the Tea-sips or Sooners? Grandmaw better ride a fast horse to see Junior play in Texas or Oklahoma!!

The roads to any SEC school (other than Mizzou) will still pass through Kentucky, for those in our mid-western recruiting footprint.

The biggest potential losers if this comes to pass: Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame and Clemson.

SEC recruiters can tell them if “they want in the game,” the SEC is the game. Sure, it’s been that way for 25 years, but it will be all the more evident, soon.
EXACTLY. Now that changes if OSU winds up in a 20 teams SEC.

Reactions: The-Hack
TRUE, FACT. The school cultures are so, so different. Big city political Libs vs. leave me the hell alone, country boy Conserves. TX campus as buried in city as GT or OSU. A&M has the largest campus in the country around next to nothing. Most of it open space.
Few years ago College Station was in the path of a hurricane and after it hit a newspaper headline was to have said: "College Station Struck by Hurricane, Does $10 Million Worth of Improvements."

ADVERTISEMENT