ADVERTISEMENT

Terrence Jones Headed to Chinese League

This is what's crazy about NBA.

Andrew Wiggins is considered max contract.

Yet TJ has shown that his PER is better his first three years than Wiggins, and can't get a team to offer him steady place.

Of course injury has big part to it but I find this amusing.

Reactions: ib4ky and Mr_GG
Did Marbury come back to the U S? He owes me a new pair of sneakers. His fell apart after 1 week.

Reactions: Deli owl
I always thought he would do better in the pros. I really don't understand why he's already bounced from the league. Has to be personality stuff as others have said, right? I don't keep close watch on this stuff but he seems like one of the handful of guys who hasn't really returned to Lexington or associated himself with the program since he left. Correct me if I'm wrong there.

I always thought he would do better in the pros. I really don't understand why he's already bounced from the league. Has to be personality stuff as others have said, right? I don't keep close watch on this stuff but he seems like one of the handful of guys who hasn't really returned to Lexington or associated himself with the program since he left. Correct me if I'm wrong there.

he played in the alumi game and also has been in the crowd at games within the last couple of years

Reactions: Nubb16 and ORCAT

also did the Y in 2015

7_3367934.jpg

Curious as to what these off court issues are.

I know he left the wreck, so chalk it up
To being young and dumb

The homeless guy? Probably more showing of a character flaw, but he got over that

Anything else?!

Reactions: Mr_GG
He very well can make more money in China than in the NBA. But, the food sucks (there is nothing like you find at Chinese restaurants here!).

He must have the worst agent ever.

He always seems to be productive every time he gets on the floor. As cheap as he was I'm surprised a playoff team like Washington, Boston, or Cleveland didn't pick him up. He is a solid second unit player. His contract situation just never made sense.

He's probably been offered substantially more money to play in China as opposed to being an NBA reserve.

He's already vested in the NBA's retirement plan:

NBA players have one of the most generous pension plans in all of professional sports. They are vested into their pension plans after playing at least three seasons in the league. The minimum benefit for a player that retires at the age of 62 is $56,988 per year - not a bad retirement for a three-year career. The maximum benefit for any player is $195,000, and it takes 11 years of NBA service to qualify for this benefit.

But that's not all! NBA players are also eligible to participate in a league-sponsored 401(k). Do you think your 401(k) plan is good with a 50% matching policy? The NBA matches player's contributions up to 140%.

link

I thought that he was plenty good enough for the NBA as a reserve. Guess not.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1838/terrence-jones

He IS still plenty good enough. I suspect his failure to get any offers was due to other reasons. The lack of interest in him this summer smelled suspiciously like a blackballing. He's far better than a lot of players who'll be on NBA rosters this year.

Oh well, hope he kicks ass in China.

Last edited:
Yo he is going to flatout dominate in the Chinese league. His shot blocking will be off the charts. Jones will freaking LOVE playing there stats wise. He will rack em' up!
Jorts was the player of the year there in that league and so will Jones. I'd pay a few dollars to watch him dominate there and it sounds like the Chinese will too.

RR always quick to eat its own. Someone detail these offcourt issues, please?

Maybe he's a stretch 4 who can't shoot and roster spots dried up. Maybe as those spots dried up, no one was willing to pay him what he thought he was worth, so he took the best offer. Maybe.

He's getting $2 million for (edit: 1 year, not 2 as per initial reports) and will live like a king. Hope he eventually makes it back over, but I won't spend much time worrying about him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nubb16
Had a friend just get back from China and he told me he loved it over their. More so than Europe, said only problem was traffic and the smog. Said it would be so bad you could taste it. Eyes would burn all the time from the pollution. People are super nice and wasnt harrassed by any cops which is always a plus in my book. Lol

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Had a friend just get back from China and he told me he loved it over their. More so than Europe, said only problem was traffic and the smog. Said it would be so bad you could taste it. Eyes would burn all the time from the pollution. People are super nice and wasnt harrassed by any cops which is always a plus in my book. Lol

Ya, Europe is unfortunately becoming a cess-pool. A dangerous one at that.

Reactions: UKWildcatT
Terrence Jones reminded me a lot of Josh Smith... and now he's following a similar path, out of the league during the time it seemed like he still had some left.

Like others said, I think he'll be back.

Also the league has not been generous to the lefties, Jones, Smith Jennings all coming to mind here. haha

Also the league has not been generous to the lefties, Jones, Smith Jennings all coming to mind here. haha

False. You know, you could just as easily list provide a list of lefties succeeding in the league like James Harden, Mike Conley, Isiah Thomas, Manu Ginobli, Goran Dragic, Zach Randolph, etc. (not to mention the long list of lefty Hall of Famers like Bill Russell, David Robinson, Chris Mullin, Dave Cowens, Tiny Archibald, etc.).

You are making up an excuse based upon no evidence (in reality, lefties have historically done disproportionately well in the NBA). That factor has nothing whatsoever to do with why TJ is in China..

Last edited:
Reactions: Cindog28
False. You know, you could just as easily list provide a list of lefties succeeding in the league like James Harden, Mike Conley, Manu Ginobli, Goran Dragic, Zach Randolph, etc. (not to mention the long list of lefty Hall of Famers like Bill Russell, David Robinson, Chris Mullin, Dave Cowens, Tiny Archibald, etc.).

You are making up an excuse based upon no evidence (in reality, lefties have historically done disproportionately well in the NBA). That factor has nothing whatsoever to do with why TJ is in China..

Well, I'm not comparing those Hall of Famers here. All those other guys are guards with ZBo the lone exception... who is certainly a bull and great player.
I even left out Michael Beasley, Beasley, Smith and Jones are all similar in my books.

All came in as great prospects, showed upside and proved they can help with a team but yet are not getting paid despite the increase in cap luxuries.

Reactions: Cindog28
Thx Cindy :)

Now my questions is this; is the "minimum " NBA deal less than 2 mill a year ? I mean I know there's some "off court questions " but I can't imagine that TJ didn't/ couldn't qualify for 2 + mil a year in the NBA ?

Minimum for 5 years experience is 1.7.

Well, I'm not comparing those Hall of Famers here. All those other guys are guards with ZBo the lone exception... who is certainly a bull and great player.
I even left out Michael Beasley, Beasley, Smith and Jones are all similar in my books.

All came in as great prospects, showed upside and proved they can help with a team but yet are not getting paid despite the increase in cap luxuries.

You do realize you could create a much much longer list of right handed players who disappointed in the NBA, right?

Sorry, fella, but your logic is all messed up. Of course there's gonna be some lefties who disappoint in the NBA, just like there's a far longer list of righties who disappoint. Just throwing out a few names like Beasley and Jones does not in any way show that "the league has not been generous to lefties."

Especially since the OPPOSITE is actually true. I don't feel like digging for the links right now, but the evidence I've seen plainly indicates lefties are disproportionately likely to make the NBA (less than 10 percent of the general population are lefties, yet around a quarter of the players who make the NBA are), so, if anything, being left-handed appears to be an advantage in the NBA.

Last edited:
I heard the difference in Wiggins and Jones worth is attributed to their midrange shots made. Saw the shot chart side by side and it was pretty startling.
Amazing how unfathomable the competition is at that level.

Terrence Jones reminded me a lot of Josh Smith... and now he's following a similar path, out of the league during the time it seemed like he still had some left.

Like others said, I think he'll be back.

Before Josh Smith went to China, he was in the NBA for 12 years and made nearly 100 million dollars. Not quite the same.

You do realize you could create a much much longer list of right handed players who disappointed in the NBA, right?

Sorry, fella, but your logic is all messed up. Of course there's gonna be some lefties who disappoint in the NBA, just like there's a far longer list of righties who disappoint. Just throwing out a few names like Beasley and Jones does not in any way show that "the league has not been generous to lefties."

Especially since it's more likely the OPPOSITE is actually true. I don't feel like digging for the links right now, but the evidence I've seen plainly indicates lefties are disproportionately likely to make the NBA (less than 10 percent of the general population are lefties, yet around a quarter of the players who make the NBA are), so, if anything, being left-handed appears to be an advantage in the NBA.

So, again, that factor has absolutely nothing to do with why TJ is in China. Your completely off base with that one.

Well, i would hope so...

You're missing my point which is fine. It's not worth paragraphs of explanation.

Before Josh Smith went to China, he was in the NBA for 12 years and made nearly 100 million dollars. Not quite the same.

He was also putting up All-Star like numbers. So if he sticks in the league today his money is much more.

It's obvious Smith did well for himself, but, he like Terrence Jones shouldn't be out of the league when you look at on the court statistics compared to other guys who are making 50m over the next 3 yrs.

TJ is one of the most underappreciated players in UK's history. I remember when every loss was blamed on TJ, he was selfish, he was a head case, didn't hustle..yada, yada. He was a 15/8 guy, was second on the team in blocks and was huge part of our 2012 title - IMO, half the fan base was behind him (until he left after the title) and then the other half jumped on board. Wish him well.

Reactions: Mr_GG
ADVERTISEMENT