ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee and how it relates to UK.....

BlueRaider22

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Just listened to satellite radio during lunch. Chris Childers and Rich Neuheisel were talking about UT losing yet another player. And they were guessing what UT's season may look like. Both agreed that if UT makes a bowl game that it should be considered a success. However, Chris went through the schedule and feels that they really only have about 3-4 decent win chances.

Now, how this relates to UK. Both agreed that although UK is winnable for UT, they thought that UK has a really good team and that the arrow is pointing up. They ultimately projected UK to win.....but it was nice that they were talking about UK having good potential.

Unhappy at UT? Grades? Disciplinary Issues? Charges brought (I hope not)?
It wasn't disciplinary or charges. He graduated already and wanted to pursue another degree that Tennessee didn't offer.

Thanks. I remember UK recruited him a while back; I didn't realize he had been in school that long.
We had a chance with him. I still wish we could've got him. He had a chance to be a very good LB but he's been caught up in injuries since he got to Tenn.

TN has a new coach and a depleted roster but game is in Knoxville. Winnable but Neyland has been a cruel place for the Cats over the years. Late season game that may favor whoever has "played well" coming in. UT is @AU, AL, @SC and Charlotte before game. UK is bye, Vandy, @ MO and GA before traveling to Knoxville.

Peace

Just listened to satellite radio during lunch. Chris Childers and Rich Neuheisel were talking about UT losing yet another player. And they were guessing what UT's season may look like. Both agreed that if UT makes a bowl game that it should be considered a success. However, Chris went through the schedule and feels that they really only have about 3-4 decent win chances.

Now, how this relates to UK. Both agreed that although UK is winnable for UT, they thought that UK has a really good team and that the arrow is pointing up. They ultimately projected UK to win.....but it was nice that they were talking about UK having good potential.

Said they had 3-4 win chances in conference play - Vandy, Uk, Missouri and SC.

i live in knoxville and all the reporters, tv people, radio people and their idiot fans all think UK is a sure win for them. they are counting it and give UK a very slim chance. news sentinel reporter j adams just reported a couple of days ago that UK was a win they could count on. will west on wnml said ut had a better team last year than UK. i hate ut way more than ul

Said they had 3-4 win chances in conference play - Vandy, Uk, Missouri and SC.

You must have heard the conversation as well.

Yep, Neuheisel said that they only have 3-4 chances to get SEC wins......but he never really got into his predictions as to what UT will do with those chances. (Probably because Childers doesn't shut up....lol.....shots fired, fellow Blue Raider) Now Childers said that USC was a loss.....and that UK is likely a loss.....and that he didn't see UT beating Missou as well. The only win he could project was Vandy.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
TN has a new coach and a depleted roster but game is in Knoxville. Winnable but Neyland has been a cruel place for the Cats over the years. Late season game that may favor whoever has "played well" coming in. UT is @AU, AL, @SC and Charlotte before game. UK is bye, Vandy, @ MO and GA before traveling to Knoxville.

Peace

I think Pruitt is also going in there with his recruits and looking to flat our groom to the future. They might be poor for a few yrs while he gets things together.

I think Pruitt is also going in there with his recruits and looking to flat our groom to the future. They might be poor for a few yrs while he gets things together.

That would be the plan at most places, but check the UT sites out, the minimum they are expecting is 6-6 and some alot are predicting 8-4 and a few delusional are saying 10-2. They been bad for 10+ years,they won't be patient very long. If he is still struggling to get to 8 wins after 4 years, which won't be an easy task there isn't likely to be a 5th year.

Then he won't be there long, because there's not a single UT fan that thinks they need to "rebuild." It was all bad coaching.

I don't know why people say they have a depleted roster when they've had top 10-15 recruiting classes since 'Buzz-Top' was there. Heard this morning with Kirkland's departure that only 10 of the '15 class are still at UT. BUT, that's 10 players from a class that was top 5 in the country. I think Pruitt has walked into a win-win situation. Media and fans have low expectations, but 'Brick-by-Brick Jones' left plenty of talent. There are some holes in the roster as there is at most programs, but there's plenty talent on that roster. I'm guessing UT will be a 7+ pt favorite before the game.

Hope UK pulls off the upset, but we'll be the underdog going into the game.

I don't know why people say they have a depleted roster when they've had top 10-15 recruiting classes since 'Buzz-Top' was there. Heard this morning with Kirkland's departure that only 10 of the '15 class are still at UT. BUT, that's 10 players from a class that was top 5 in the country. I think Pruitt has walked into a win-win situation. Media and fans have low expectations, but 'Brick-by-Brick Jones' left plenty of talent. There are some holes in the roster as there is at most programs, but there's plenty talent on that roster. I'm guessing UT will be a 7+ pt favorite before the game.

Rumor was Botch pleaded with the recruiting services to give UT commits a boost in the rankings. He had lots of kids leave the program. Their roster is pretty weak right now, they have 4-6 good players and a big drop after that. They are depending on some grad transfers to come in and give them a big boost. I think they are playing Vandy for 6th place in the East.

That would be the plan at most places, but check the UT sites out, the minimum they are expecting is 6-6 and some alot are predicting 8-4 and a few delusional are saying 10-2. They been bad for 10+ years,they won't be patient very long. If he is still struggling to get to 8 wins after 4 years, which won't be an easy task there isn't likely to be a 5th year.

I think Neuheisel said UT is 36-57 (numbers could be way off) in conference play the last 11 yrs.....ouch. While that's not terrible for UK's program, that's abysmal for UT's.

Rumor was Botch pleaded with the recruiting services to give UT commits a boost in the rankings. He had lots of kids leave the program. Their roster is pretty weak right now, they have 4-6 good players and a big drop after that. They are depending on some grad transfers to come in and give them a big boost. I think they are playing Vandy for 6th place in the East.

@Grumpyolddawg - I'm sure 'Buzz-Top' may have gotten some ratings inflated, but most of those players had other top offers. I'm sure they have some major holes in their roster. I just don't think UT's roster is as bad as many are saying. Again, it's a win-win for Pruitt. He's not playing the Lou Holtz 'we may not win a game' card, but he's inherited low expectations that I think he'll surpass. This will make him look like the hero if it happens.

I hope UK can make it 2 wins in a row, but I suspect we'll be underdogs by the time game day rolls around.

While Butch Jones is one of the worst football coaches in the history of the world, you don’t go 0-8 in conference if there’s “plenty of talent on that roster”. They’re hurtin.

Pruitt may turn out to be the next Bear Bryant but he may also be a bust. How do we know? He has about the same resume as Stoops did when he came here. Three years as DC at 3 really good schools. NO head coaching experience. Stoops had seven years as a DC, five are Arizona and the last two at Florida State.

Also, who says Butch is such a bad coach? UT fans. He did a pretty damn good job at Cincy, 10-3 & 9-3 his last 2 years and won the Liberty bowl. He had 9 wins twice at UT and won 3 bowl games including an Outback win.

Just a lot of inconvenient facts left out of this thread.

Last edited:
I think if you really look at the roster and talent UK has a very solid football team. Alot of the fans predicting 4 8 would not truly bet on that. Qb position is only huge ??? And I think whoever starts can put up more than 25 ppg we had last year.

Reactions: no1gman
While Butch Jones is one of the worst football coaches in the history of the world, you don’t go 0-8 in conference if there’s “plenty of talent on that roster”. They’re hurtin.
I agree to a point but they had next to nothing at QB. You can't win anywhere with no production at QB. Guarantano was not ready last year. He has a lot of talent if he can put it all together but some highly rated QB's never do.

I think Neuheisel said UT is 36-57 (numbers could be way off) in conference play the last 11 yrs.....ouch. While that's not terrible for UK's program, that's abysmal for UT's.

That's probably pretty accurate for that timeframe. They are 0-11 against Bama and 1-10 against UF over that time, and no better than 4-7 against us.

@Grumpyolddawg - I'm sure 'Buzz-Top' may have gotten some ratings inflated, but most of those players had other top offers. I'm sure they have some major holes in their roster. I just don't think UT's roster is as bad as many are saying. Again, it's a win-win for Pruitt. He's not playing the Lou Holtz 'we may not win a game' card, but he's inherited low expectations that I think he'll surpass. This will make him look like the hero if it happens.

I hope UK can make it 2 wins in a row, but I suspect we'll be underdogs by the time game day rolls around.

I think people confuse reported offers that are reported by the kid and being able to commit to a school. Schools can't comment by rule and the more offers listed the better it looks for the kid. But regardless of that they were not very good at any level defensively last year and outside of 1 or 2 WR had no playmakers on offense. The RB made his reputation in 1 game, but wouldn't have seen the field at several schools in the SEC and he is gone.

I just don't see UT winning very many, 6-6 would be a good season, but I don't think it gets there, could go winless in conference and lose to WV, were lucky getting to 4-8 last year.

This was either DWS, or you’re one of those border-dwelling UK basketball/UT football fans.

Reactions: TuckyFB
He was no contact during spring ball. Will he be ready to play in the fall? Also, UT can block him to another SEC school.

This was either DWS, or you’re one of those border-dwelling UK basketball/UT football fans.

Not sure what you mean by DWS and don’t know why you think I’m a UT fan simply because I can look at recruiting rankings over the last 4-5 yrs. Take off the tinfoil hat. UT was decimated by injuries for a couple years in a row. Another poster correctly pointed out they weren’t ready for the transition after Dobbs.

Not a UT fan and would love for us to win. Again, don’t know how an objective take on another team’s roster makes someone a fan of that team. I took you as more of a football insider and not the “every other team sucks because ... they’re the other team.”

I’d like to hear your thoughts on UT’s recruiting over the last 3-4 yrs and how it impacts their current roster. I do believe some recruiting classes are simply overrated. Other players don’t develop. Sometimes it’s the system or coaching. Your thoughts? Any positive comments will not be construed for secretive fandom ;- )

Not sure what you mean by DWS and don’t know why you think I’m a UT fan simply because I can look at recruiting rankings over the last 4-5 yrs. Take off the tinfoil hat. UT was decimated by injuries for a couple years in a row. Another poster correctly pointed out they weren’t ready for the transition after Dobbs.

Not a UT fan and would love for us to win. Again, don’t know how an objective take on another team’s roster makes someone a fan of that team. I took you as more of a football insider and not the “every other team sucks because ... they’re the other team.”

I’d like to hear your thoughts on UT’s recruiting over the last 3-4 yrs and how it impacts their current roster. I do believe some recruiting classes are simply overrated. Other players don’t develop. Sometimes it’s the system or coaching. Your thoughts? Any positive comments will not be construed for secretive fandom ;- )

I don't think you were asking me but here is my opinion of what happened to them. First of all, the injuries have piled up on them, I think they had a poor strength and conditioning program. Injuries really hit UGA hard a few years back when Richt promoted our film editor to head of the strength and conditioning program waiting on retirement, great guy but not a strength and conditioning coordinator. Kirby hired a young energetic guy who uses new and inovatitive drills and he hired a couple of assistants who were S&C coordinators at a couple of P5 schools with alot of experience and a couple of younger guys looking to build a career. We have been very fortunate since that move.

But because of the S&C at UT, players never developed or had career ending injuries. They also had abnormal amount of kids transfer out of the program/ UT signed quite a few legacy players during Butch's time there, I am not sure if any of them every really panned out, all were fairly highly rated but it was almost like they got a bump in rankings because their dad or uncle was good player.

He was no contact during spring ball. Will he be ready to play in the fall? Also, UT can block him to another SEC school.

Not if he is a grad transfer.

Peace
pruitt was crying because saban was blocking one of his grad transfers to sec schools. thought they should transfer where they wanted. would sure make him look bad if he blocked him to an sec school. i already don't like pruitt

pruitt was crying because saban was blocking one of his grad transfers to sec schools. thought they should transfer where they wanted. would sure make him look bad if he blocked him to an sec school. i already don't like pruitt
I'm too lazy to research it right now but I thought grad transfers were restricted only by a need to do post graduate work in a subject area not offered by their current school. The more I think about it the notion that a school can block ANY transfer is ridiculous. OK to block a transfer to a school on your schedule during player's remaining eligibility is OK.

Peace

Speaking of Tennessee, the line was set on this game already, and UK is actually favored by 1 point. I suspect that this is the first time in decades that UK has been the favorite in Knoxville, though, of course, we may or may not be favored the week before the actual game.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Speaking of Tennessee, the line was set on this game already, and UK is actually favored by 1 point. I suspect that this is the first time in decades that UK has been the favorite in Knoxville, though, of course, we may or may not be favored the week before the actual game.

Home field advantage is thought to be about 2-3 pts....so, the line is basically predicting UK a 3 pt favorite.

Pruitt is playing with house money in 2018. Can’t get worse than 0-8 in conference. And UT actually has a football man as AD rather than a bean counter. He’ll get us back where Tennessee needs to be sooner rather than later. There’s real discipline now and a real S&C coach. Joshua Dobbs won games for Tennessee despite Lyle Jones. The proof was last season. Lyle had to actually coach and the result was 0-8.

Pruitt is playing with house money in 2018. Can’t get worse than 0-8 in conference. And UT actually has a football man as AD rather than a bean counter. He’ll get us back where Tennessee needs to be sooner rather than later. There’s real discipline now and a real S&C coach. Joshua Dobbs won games for Tennessee despite Lyle Jones. The proof was last season. Lyle had to actually coach and the result was 0-8.
Butch, please!

Pruitt's issue won't be his coaching, he is a loose cannon, it will be his mouth and behavior. You got a sample of it when he called UT fans and team quitters. Don't reply with I don't know what I am talking
about because he coached at my school 2 years and I know first hand what he is. Wait until the offense commits a turnover that hurts him.

To my knowledge there is not an actual betting line yet. However, 2 very early 130 team mathematical "projections" make this EVEN or UK+4 in these way too early early numbers. FWIW, this 4 point "delta" represents the greatest individual game deviation between those 2 early projections (ESPN and "early" Connolly).

Peace

ADVERTISEMENT