ADVERTISEMENT

Tea leaves

So did many of the players that went to duke instead of us.... just to troll us

I have a hard time believing all these seventeen year olds are sitting around thinking of diabolical ways to mess with us. Maybe a few, but how can such behavior be a norm among these kids? You make it sound like it's to be expected from them.

There's another option: maybe they're friends with the current UK guys and actually like what they're posting on social media.

We can say that the visit is going well and our guys are doing their best to reel him in.That's important. If UK doesn'tget him it won'tbe for lack of effort.

Reactions: MbergCat
I have a hard time believing all these seventeen year olds are sitting around thinking of diabolical ways to mess with us. Maybe a few, but how can such behavior be a norm among these kids? You make it sound like it's to be expected from them.

There's another option: maybe they're friends with the current UK guys and actually like what they're posting on social media.

Say what you want.. many here and especially on the HOB know that the Duke staff has been out to stick it to UK .

Not saying the kid is going to Duke or we cant get Carey... I'm saying that several of the Duke kids have used social media to follow our staff and players a few weeks or even a few days before announcing for Duke so you cant trust it to be a good sign just like its not a definite bad sign either.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
A lot of these kids don’t know until the night before if then where they are going. Wiseman is probably ready to sign with Vandy right now. Even a commitment means nothing. Look at SGA. Jones. Lewis would be a good candidate to switch. The kids who comitt because of pressure from people around them are unstable. So I put no stock in something a kid puts on Twitter other than they are a bunch of kids who happen to be on a bigger stage

Bottom line is the kids who want to learn how to change bad habits get coached like pros and learn how to be men come here. The kids that want to sit around having a good time for that year and not be pushed generally go somewhere else.

Say what you want.. many here and especially on the HOB know that the Duke staff has been out to stick it to UK .

Not saying the kid is going to Duke or we cant get Carey... I'm saying that several of the Duke kids have used social media to follow our staff and players a few weeks or even a few days before announcing for Duke so you cant trust it to be a good sign just like its not a definite bad sign either.

So I guess mike white and the Florida staff told Scottie Lewis to wear the uk shorts to troll us as well?

Every time I saw him on the madness coverage he looked like he was smelling a fart in a hot car. Hopefully it was not indicative of his interest.

So I guess mike white and the Florida staff told Scottie Lewis to wear the uk shorts to troll us as well?

Exactly. I think the explanation is a lot simpler - in the vast majority of cases, the kids are torn. They genuinely love many of the schools, coaches, and fellow players recruiting them. I think about the video Immanuel Quickley did tracking some of the events of his senior year. One of the things it showed was him calling Tony Bennett to let him know that he was no longer considering UVA. Even though IQ was a lock to UK, it was a difficult phone call and you could tell he was a little down about it, and really liked Bennett. Heck, Quick probably would have been a great fit in Virginia’s system.

It’s not trolling or some marketing mind game when recruits like social media posts, share pictures, and wear school logo gear. They’re just going through the process and being themselves.

Not that it means anything, might just be kids being kids. But I noticed Vernon Carey is liking almost everything our current players are posting on Instagram. Can't hurt, right?

A ton of the top guys are all friends from playing together so long that I don't even notice anymore. I do hope it is a great sign of his future plans.

Wisemen—>UK is a guarantee though, eh?
How could I guarantee that ? LOL Do I think we get Wiseman ? Sure . Be kinda silly to think otherwise IMO or at worst think it is 50/50 . I mean the people who think he is lock for Memphis are mostly the same folks who always want to paint things in a negative light. Wiseman could be a moron , I don't know him so I don't know but every time I have heard him speak he sure doesn't seem like one . So therefore he ain't going to play for a coach who at this point has won zero college games nor gotten a single player to the NBA. Now if we comes out and says his final 2 are UK and KU ( or UNC or DUke you get the point ) then neither choice is dumb. But if it is truly UK vs Memphis no smart player makes the Memphis choice.

But this recruiting so who knows .

Exactly. I think the explanation is a lot simpler - in the vast majority of cases, the kids are torn. They genuinely love many of the schools, coaches, and fellow players recruiting them. I think about the video Immanuel Quickley did tracking some of the events of his senior year. One of the things it showed was him calling Tony Bennett to let him know that he was no longer considering UVA. Even though IQ was a lock to UK, it was a difficult phone call and you could tell he was a little down about it, and really liked Bennett. Heck, Quick probably would have been a great fit in Virginia’s system.

It’s not trolling or some marketing mind game when recruits like social media posts, share pictures, and wear school logo gear. They’re just going through the process and being themselves.

Plus the players who want to be pros don't have any devotion to many of the schools they consider and love free swag. I'd take all them shoes and hoodies all day.

A lot of these kids don’t know until the night before if then where they are going. Wiseman is probably ready to sign with Vandy right now. Even a commitment means nothing. Look at SGA. Jones. Lewis would be a good candidate to switch. The kids who comitt because of pressure from people around them are unstable. So I put no stock in something a kid puts on Twitter other than they are a bunch of kids who happen to be on a bigger stage

I'd wager highly that Wiseman doesn't want to sign with Vandy at this moment. He may end up there but they are the 40-1 horse.

A ton of the top guys are all friends from playing together so long that I don't even notice anymore. I do hope it is a great sign of his future plans.
A great point as well. Also you ain't lying about Carey's RBF. But his dad played for the U and I saw him many times and he had that a lot of times as well so it could be a family thing lol.

Reactions: Fox2monk
How could I guarantee that ? LOL Do I think we get Wiseman ? Sure . Be kinda silly to think otherwise IMO or at worst think it is 50/50 . I mean the people who think he is lock for Memphis are mostly the same folks who always want to paint things in a negative light. Wiseman could be a moron , I don't know him so I don't know but every time I have heard him speak he sure doesn't seem like one . So therefore he ain't going to play for a coach who at this point has won zero college games nor gotten a single player to the NBA. Now if we comes out and says his final 2 are UK and KU ( or UNC or DUke you get the point ) then neither choice is dumb. But if it is truly UK vs Memphis no smart player makes the Memphis choice.

But this recruiting so who knows .

I know lol. I enjoy your posts. I was just yankin your chain :)

There isnt a trend with UF recruits and White now is there? There is a trend with Duke guys ... or maybe you forgot Bolden and then with Trent and Carter ... luckily Cal didnt fall for Trent and Carter and stopped recruiting them.

I was always under the impression that it was Caple that was getting players like Bolden to troll, he's not at Duke now.
K is certainly capable of trolling, but with all his recent misses, I have to believe he would be taking the high road right now.

The early signing period is in a few weeks so yes A verbal commitment at this point means a hell of a lot.

Is Wojo still their big man coach? Wtf would Wojo know about being a big man or the experience of playing with that weight and height? Dukes big men have largely sucked in the NBA, UK’s have excelled.

I tend to think Cal's approach might go like this:

"Well, there's three of you [Wiseman, Carey, Stewart] and only one #1 pick. History mostly dictates that the elite kid who rides with us gets that spot."

Reactions: CatfanMike47
We know for a fact there are guys who wanted UK but some combination of handlers/family/money steered them to a different school. UK has a track record for staying clear of guys with problems, there are notable instances of this for just about every season Cal has been here.

‘09- We actually had guys who were “questionable”. Wall was suspended for impermissible benefits, Bledsoe had grade issues, and Cousins just looked too scary to be in college tbh.
10- Josh Selby
11- Tony Wroten, Quincy Miller
12- Shabazz Muhammad
13- Chris Walker
14- Cliff Alexander
15- Carlton Bragg
16- Josh Jackson, Terrance Ferguson
17- DeAndre Ayton, Trevon Duval, Collin Sexton, Billy Preston, Brian Bowen, Mitchell Robinson (what a sketchy class)
18- Remains to be seen how these kids end up but we steered clear of Romeo Langford and backed off Louis King and Javonte Smart after early interest. Smart probably because Cal had PGs he preferred, not sure about King

Last edited:
Reactions: kev69 and LNAllison
We know for a fact there are guys who wanted UK but some combination of handlers/family/money steered them to a different school. UK has a track record for staying clear of guys with problems, there are notable instances of this for just about every season Cal has been here.

‘09- We actually had guys who were “questionable”. Wall was suspended for impermissible benefits, Bledsoe had grade issues, and Cousins just looked too scary to be in college tbh.
10- Josh Selby
11- Tony Wroten, Quincy Miller
12- Shabazz Muhammad
13- Chris Walker
14- Cliff Alexander
15- Carlton Bragg
16- Josh Jackson, Terrance Ferguson
17- DeAndre Austin, Trevon Duval, Collin Sexton, Billy Preston, Brian Bowen, Mitchell Robinson (what a sketchy class)
18- Remains to be seen how these kids end up but we steered clear of Romeo Langford and backed off Louis King and Javonte Smart after early interest. Smart probably because Cal had PGs he preferred, not sure about King

Personally believe king was considered if it would of pushed reddish to uk

Color me skeptical, I expect him to like all things U.K. on his visit, just like he will like all things Michigan State, and puke also. He obviously likes it here, but I’m not reading too much into it

Not that it means anything, might just be kids being kids. But I noticed Vernon Carey is liking almost everything our current players are posting on Instagram. Can't hurt, right?

I sure hope your intuition is correct brah...

There isnt a trend with UF recruits and White now is there? There is a trend with Duke guys ... or maybe you forgot Bolden and then with Trent and Carter ... luckily Cal didnt fall for Trent and Carter and stopped recruiting them.

We did steal SGA away...

We gotta get this kid.

Who's the last Vernon to play for Kentucky?

ADVERTISEMENT