ADVERTISEMENT

T-Wolves best case potential in 2017-2018?

UKWildcats#8

All-American
Jun 25, 2011
What does everyone think? With Towns, Butler, Wiggins, Rubio, etc, that is a pretty good big 3 with a solid 4th at PG.

That team could be pretty good in a reshifting west. Obviously no one is beating GS IMO, but how good can this team be? I really like Towns chances of winning big in a few years if GS loses either Thompson or Green at some point.

They'll make the playoffs. I wouldn't expect much more though. They need a sniper to space the floor and a 4, then they could really become competitive. Butler and wiggins are basically the same player as well, that could cause some problems.

KAT plays the 4
He actually plays the 5. He started the season at the 4, but plays much better at Center, so they switched him and Dieng.

As to the question, we still need to see how things shake out in free agency and potential trades. Right now, our bench really needs some help.

Rubio
Wiggins
Butler
Hopefully a vet PF
KAT

Tyus Jones
XXXXX
XXXXX
Nemanja Bjelica
Gorgui Dieng/Cole Aldrich

Ideally we would pick up a true PF, that can stretch the floor. Then Gorgui could come off the bench, and be one of the better bench bigs in the league. Also, as you can see, we have absolutely no wing depth. Need to add 2-3. I have a feeling Thibs isn't done making deals. Rubio, Dieng, and Aldrich are all guys who could be traded.

Not sold on Rubio as the one to lead the team very far, think they need to still make a move for a better PG as well as some bench depth to really become a team that can challenge in the West. They're getting there but still have work to do.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
He actually plays the 5. He started the season at the 4, but plays much better at Center, so they switched him and Dieng.

As to the question, we still need to see how things shake out in free agency and potential trades. Right now, our bench really needs some help.

Rubio
Wiggins
Butler
Hopefully a vet PF
KAT

Tyus Jones
XXXXX
XXXXX
Nemanja Bjelica

Ideally we would pick up a true PF, that can stretch the floor. Then Gorgui could come off the bench, and be one of the better bench bigs in the league. Also, as you can see, we have absolutely no wing depth. Need to add 2-3. I have a feeling Thibs isn't done making deals. Rubio, Dieng, and Aldrich are all guys who could be traded.

Do they not have Shabazz anymore?

6 seed in the west, their biggest challenge should be resigning Wiggins, Butler and KAT in a couple of years. Then they can talk about making some noise.

6 seed in the west, their biggest challenge should be resigning Wiggins, Butler and KAT in a couple of years. Then they can talk about making some noise.
As long as Butler wants to stay it won't be a problem to keep all 3. They can go over the cap to sign KAT, since they have his bird rights.

Reactions: jwhite123
Big 2, solid 3, and meh 4.

I would say between 5 or 6.

Not many team has that TOP 2 as good as Wolves, excluding GSW/Cleveland in this discussion.

We'll see how good the coaching is, but they should be good team.

Tibs will run 6 a days and will play everyone 48 minutes per game. Blown out knees loom

lol--not far off.

Can't tell you how disliked Thibadeau is up here in Twin Cities. Fact that he was playing KAT and Wiggins so many minutes on a garbage team in games clearly decided, and his demeanor during a game is laughable for a professional coach. Screaming/yelling for defensive stops against the world's best players every trip down the court is a joke. Like the move, now hope they get a different coach to work with the personnel. Say this knowing that $ invested with Thibadeau makes this unlikely.

I hope there is enough basketball to share between Wiggins, Butler, and Towns.

Wiggins is the least efficient of the three so he ought to transition to more of a role player. Move the ball, take open opportunities, and play tough D is what Wiggins should do, but he hasn't done any of that yet during his NBA career. If he doesn't metamorphose, Wolves should probably trade him.

Last edited:
I hope there is enough basketball to share between Wiggins, Butler, and Towns. Wiggins is the least efficient of the three so he ought to transition to more of a role player.

well, actually. he shot 35.6%. He isn't even in top 100 in terms of efficiency from 3. He was tied #105.

Not sure if you have more than 100 people shooting three better than you, you would be defined efficient in the league.

well, actually. he shot 35.6%. He isn't even in top 100 in terms of efficiency from 3. He was tied #105.

Not sure if you have more than 100 people shooting three better than you, you would be defined efficient in the league.

Uhhh...yeah. That's practically the point of my post. Less shots for Wiggins is good.

With Towns as your most talented player while also being so young, you would have to really try to mess up being a good team in a couple of years from now. Wiggins is another young talented player that many fans adore, but I'm not one of them. Until the dude can show he can knock down open jumpers from deep, I'm not as sold on the guy being so much upside. In the NBA, it doesn't matter how high you can jump if you can't shoot the ball. As for next season, I could see them being a 6th seed type of team in the west. If they can't stay healthy, never mind what I said.

lol--not far off.

Can't tell you how disliked Thibadeau is up here in Twin Cities. Fact that he was playing KAT and Wiggins so many minutes on a garbage team in games clearly decided, and his demeanor during a game is laughable for a professional coach. Screaming/yelling for defensive stops against the world's best players every trip down the court is a joke. Like the move, now hope they get a different coach to work with the personnel. Say this knowing that $ invested with Thibadeau makes this unlikely.

Thibodeau is a proven coach with a track record. Ask Bulls fans what they think of him. Most love the guy, even if he has a few faults.

With Towns as your most talented player while also being so young, you would have to really try to mess up being a good team in a couple of years from now. Wiggins is another young talented player that many fans adore, but I'm not one of them. Until the dude can show he can knock down open jumpers from deep, I'm not as sold on the guy being so much upside. In the NBA, it doesn't matter how high you can jump if you can't shoot the ball. As for next season, I could see them being a 6th seed type of team in the west. If they can't stay healthy, never mind what I said.

It absolutely matters how high you can jump. There are a ton of really good guards and wings in the league that are mediocre shooters but are incredible athletes

Reactions: nptb
Not sold on Rubio as the one to lead the team very far, think they need to still make a move for a better PG as well as some bench depth to really become a team that can challenge in the West. They're getting there but still have work to do.
I think Rubio is overrated. If they get a PG who is actually good, the Wolves will be a force.

Reactions: jrpross
Rubio is fine at the point for them, believe it or not. He had a great year, and when you have talent all around you, a scoring PG isn't a necessity. Let him distribute the ball and get steals.. and that's good enough. You can't have max guys at every position anyways. You won't be able to have Butler, KAT, Wiggins AND a top tier PG for long. Their salaries will take off.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I hope there is enough basketball to share between Wiggins, Butler, and Towns.

Wiggins is the least efficient of the three so he ought to transition to more of a role player. Move the ball, take open opportunities, and play tough D is what Wiggins should do, but he hasn't done any of that yet during his NBA career. If he doesn't metamorphose, Wolves should probably trade him.
No, just no. Wiggins is a super athlete who will have his best season because of this move.

Reactions: JC43
The Wolves will probably make the playoffs in the West this year but they won't be better than the Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Clippers and the Jazz (if they keep Hayward) so a #6 seed is their ceiling unless KAT explodes.

The TWolves just aren't a good enough 3 point shooting team which is key in the modern NBA.

The Wolves will probably make the playoffs in the West this year but they won't be better than the Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Clippers and the Jazz (if they keep Hayward) so a #6 seed is their ceiling unless KAT explodes.

The TWolves just aren't a good enough 3 point shooting team which is key in the modern NBA.

I think it is a little early to say this. Clippers very likely could be without Paul and Griffin and could be really bad. Imagine if you put one of those guys on the T Wolves. Again, if the Jazz keep Hayward they might have a chance to be better. The T Wolves starters will match them up with the top 5 teams in the league if nothing else changes. Add a couple pieces to that and get a legitimate bench and they should have a good shot at a top 4 seed.

Ok. What does he do well on the basketball court?
Dude can get to the basket and get buckets. With Butler he will see a lot of bad mismatches and is going to get a bunch of buckets or vise versa. Someone's best wing is going to have to defend one of the two leaving the other with an advantage.

Dude can get to the basket and get buckets. With Butler he will see a lot of bad mismatches and is going to get a bunch of buckets or vise versa. Someone's best wing is going to have to defend one of the two leaving the other with an advantage.

He has yet to be even that effective at making shots. His TS% was less than Rubio's last season.

And shooting isn't even close to Wiggins' biggest weakness. Wiggins has been horrendous at doing anything. He has yet proven to be a good defender, he's bad at rebounding, and he doesn't pass. The fact is that there is plenty of reason to be skeptical of Wiggins.

With immense improvement, he might be just the 4th best player on the team behind Towns, Rubio, and Butler. With Butler in the fold taking away Wiggins best stat, PPG, it might be worthwhile to trade him while his value is still high.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKcats1988
He has yet to be even that effective at making shots. His TS% was less than Rubio's last season.

And shooting isn't even close to Wiggins' biggest weakness. Wiggins has been horrendous at doing anything. He has yet proven to be a good defender, he's bad at rebounding, and he doesn't pass. The fact is that there is plenty of reason to be skeptical of Wiggins.

With immense improvement, he might be just the 4th best player on the team behind Towns, Rubio, and Butler. With Butler in the fold taking away Wiggins best stat, PPG, it might be worthwhile to trade him while his value is still high.
Did you watch him play or are you just hating on him because he played at Kansas? Dude had 5 40 point games last season. He shot 45 percent from the field last season. I can't go with what you are saying. You went full retard when you said Rubio was better than him.

Starting lineup looks pretty nice.

Jeff Teague
Jimmy Butler
Andrew Wiggins
Taj Gibson
KAT

Bench still needs some help.

Tyus Jones
Jamal Crawford
XXXXX
Nemanja Bjelica/Justin Patton

Timberwolves are out of cap space though. Only have vet minimum contracts to hand out, as of now.

Did you watch him play or are you just hating on him because he played at Kansas? Dude had 5 40 point games last season. He shot 45 percent from the field last season. I can't go with what you are saying. You went full retard when you said Rubio was better than him.

What he said is actually fact.

He's one of the most overrated player in the league.

He's also considered one of the worst defensive player in the league. So he gave him more credit than he deserved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT