ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball T.J.'s great player preview series continues with Nick Richards

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Of all the players on Kentucky's team this year, there are several that I throw my hands up with and say, "I really don't know what to expect." Usually the case with freshmen, but more so this year than others under Calipari, I believe.

In Richards' case, we're dealing with a 'a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. And I'm fascinated to watch his year play out.' We know he's not a go-to scorer on this UK team and we know he's going to block shots and do some nasty things defensively, but how can you project the level of impactfulness he makes for this team? Could see that going a number of directions.

@tj_walker has a great series going and this is another must-read installment. As someone who reads about hoops recruiting but hasn't gotten knee deep, I lean on T.J. heavily for coming to expectations, especially in the Calipari era, and I think he's taking a very balanced, reasonable approach with these, laying out the positives and negatives, the best case scenarios and the bust scenarios.

LINK: Nick Richards' season preview

Reactions: BlueSince92
Nothing else ever improved my grip as much as rock climbing. I wonder if any trainers use that.

Kind of leaves you thinking we're going to be hurting at the 5 this year after reading that. I came away less than impressed by what they had to say about Richards. Going on what others have said on this board I was thinking Richards was going to be pretty strong inside but not so much now. Yes, I did read about his defense but we've heard that about some other big man 5 stars before so I'm not sure just what to expect from him. Sure hoping SKJ can give us a lot more than he was given the chance to show last year. Hoping Richards isn't this year's SKJ. Not trying to be hard on the kid, just reacting to what I felt was a mediocre write up on his skill level (way behind on offense, can't handle the ball, massive turnovers, etc.). Should I be all that concerned? Is TJ Walker misleading me by what he wrote on Richards?

Kind of leaves you thinking we're going to be hurting at the 5 this year after reading that. I came away less than impressed by what they had to say about Richards. Going on what others have said on this board I was thinking Richards was going to be pretty strong inside but not so much now. Yes, I did read about his defense but we've heard that about some other big man 5 stars before so I'm not sure just what to expect from him. Sure hoping SKJ can give us a lot more than he was given the chance to show last year. Hoping Richards isn't this year's SKJ. Not trying to be hard on the kid, just reacting to what I felt was a mediocre write up on his skill level (way behind on offense, can't handle the ball, massive turnovers, etc.). Should I be all that concerned? Is TJ Walker misleading me by what he wrote on Richards?

The center position makes or breaks us this year, obviously, so we'll see. The wildcard is this is the one team Calipari has had that MIGHT be able to get away without a true center with all the other guys we have.

He can dribble decent for a big man from what I've seen. I think it's talking more about him lacking good hands catching the ball. Even so, I watched him make a few difficult catches in one of those All American games. We'll see.

What writeup. All I ever get, from clicking those links, are a few worthless pictures and a mix of action sequences. Am I missing something?

ADVERTISEMENT