ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Scrimmage vs Michigan

Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY

Caught a few innings of today's fall scrimmage against Michigan.

They agreed to play 14 innings split up in two groups of seven. The first segment ended 2-2 with some decent pitching by both sides. Zack Thompson was dealing for the Cats. I think he struck out 4 of 6 batters in his two innings of work.

The second segment had Michigan up 3-1 (IIRC) in the 4th or 5th when rain came back to the park and chased me and my camera.

I think UK is going to pitch fairly well from what I've seen in two scrimmages this fall. They need a strong 2 and a solid 3 to emerge behind Thompson for the weekends. Good bullpen arms. Decent depth of staff.

Hitting, I'm not so sure. They've lost some REALLY good, experienced hitters and I'm not seeing much consistency from the replacements yet. But it's only fall and Mingione has a lot of time to work with them. It was, however, really good to see TJ Collett back out there. They're going to lean heavily on him for some pop. I've also seen good things from Coltyn Kessler every time I've watched him play now.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
It looks like all the hitting is rough right now. Coach Guilliams has some guys working on new things. Work on it now and be ready in the spring.

Top QABs in the fall:
Kessler
Shinn
Hill

I have to imagine that hitting will come around. I was worried about it the past two years and both years we were extremely good. So, I have to trust that this coaching staff can once again work their magic and get their guys to take good solid approaches. Only complaint that I have about our hitting is that we just strike out too often.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT