ADVERTISEMENT

*** Summer league Cats ***

Derek Terry

Senior
Staff
Aug 22, 2013
Lexington, Ky.
Let's use this thread as a tracker for Cats in their respective summer leagues. Here's the rundown from yesterday's games.

JUNE 10

PGCBL

- Incoming freshman outfielder Lukas Schramm went 1-4 with a stolen base in a 12-6 loss to Boonville. Schramm is now slashing .286/.318/.333 in five games.

- Fellow class of 2022 members Brandyn Durand (catcher) and Carson Applegate (infielder/pitcher) are also listed on Utica’s roster but have not appeared in a game to this point. Not sure if those guys haven’t joined the team yet or what.

CAPE COD

- The Cape Cod league begins tomorrow. Current Cats Ryan Ritter, Seth Logue, Tyler Bosma, Austin Strickland, Ryan Hagenow and Mag Cotto are rostered in this prestigious summer league.

VALLEY LEAGUE

- LHP Evan Byers didn’t pitch last night but did record two innings on Thursday. Byers hasn’t given up an earned run in 5.1 innings this summer and has struck out six batters and walked five. Looks like he’s pitching in the back end of the bullpen for the New Market Rebels.

- Redshirt freshman OF Tanner Kim went 1-3 last night. He’s batting .214/.267/.214 through 14 at-bats this summer.

- Sophomore RHP Mason Moore made his first start of the summer and gave up two earned runs over six innings of work. He struck out eight batters in a 12-2 win. Moore had the best season of any freshman pitcher so it’s not surprising to see his early success in this summer league. I suspect he’ll put up good numbers.

- Sophomore LHP Jackson Nove tossed three scoreless innings and recorded the save last night for the Tomsox. He’s given up just two hits in 5.2 innings so far this summer and has yet to give up a run.

- Redshirt freshman RHP Christian Howe has appeared in two games for the Tomsox. He had a tough first outing, giving up three hits and two earned runs (also struck out two) on June 4. He bounced back and had a 1-2-3 inning on Thursday night.

NORTHWOODS

- Redshirt freshman James McCoy singed four times last night in a 12-2 win. That’s two out of the past three games that he recorded four hits. He’s hitting .368/.510/.632 in 38 at-bats.

- Redshirt freshman infielder Michael Dallas is still searching for his first hit of the summer. He went 0-4 yesterday, pushing him to 0-20 through five games. He’s walked twice and has struck out six times. His profile shows him playing second base this summer.

- Redshirt freshman LHP Reed Gannon hasn’t pitched since June 8 but he struck out three batters and walked one over 1.1 innings in a 7-5 win.

SOUTH FLORIDA

- Incoming freshman catcher Austin Fawley is getting adjusted to better pitching. He went 0-3 last night with three strikeouts and one walk. He’s just getting his summer started but he’s 1-10 with seven strikeouts so far.

CAL RIPKEN

- Sophomore infielder Emilien Pitre has a league-leading seven hits through three games. He’s 7-12 with one double and three RBI this summer.

- Sophomore RHP Colby Frieda tossed two innings on June 9 and gave up two hits and one earned run. He also struck out two and walked two. That’s been his only appearance so far this summer.

MLB DRAFT LEAGUE

- I don’t see updated stats for Jake Plastiak yet, but I know he homered a few days ago based on a Twitter video. This is his second consecutive summer in this league.

My son was fortunate enough to play in 3 summer leagues during his college career, Northwoods, Valley and Coastal Plain. He loved the experience, met and played against many great players and his late mother and I spent many a pleasant summer's evening watching great baseball. It seems UK is a little better represented this year. Interesting that all but one of UK's players in the Cape are pitchers. Thanks for the update Mr Terry.

It is officially summer as the Cape Cod League has kicked off.

Ritter it playing for Cotuit and struggled last night going 0-5 with a strikeout.

Former UK player Cam Hill is also on Cotuit.

Hagenow and Hudepohl are both on the Wareham Gatemen. Neither pitched last night.

** I want to note here that Hudepohl is in the transfer portal. I don't know if that means that UK cannot talk about him or what, but they certainly didn't put him on the graphic and mention that he was playing in the Cape. **

Cotto is playing for Hyannis and pitched 1 scoreless, giving up 1 hit but striking out 3.

Strickland and Logue also playing for Hyannis, but neither played yesterday.

Reactions: mrschwump
James McCoy, who will be competing for a corner outfield spot, went 0-3 last night but walked twice. He's now slashing .341/.500/.585 though 41 at-bats. There are a few guys putting up huge numbers in this league but McCoy is really doing some good things at the plate. He's one of the guys I'm most interested to follow this fall.

James McCoy, who will be competing for a corner outfield spot, went 0-3 last night but walked twice. He's now slashing .341/.500/.585 though 41 at-bats. There are a few guys putting up huge numbers in this league but McCoy is really doing some good things at the plate. He's one of the guys I'm most interested to follow this fall.

DT, are we sure that he'll be competing for an OF spot next year? PG rated him as an OF coming out of HS. However, UK may have moved him to IF. The UK roster lists him as an IF, as does the media guide in several places.

Think they will move him back? Was he only there this year to add depth at 1B if they needed it or what? Why bounce him around so much?

DT, are we sure that he'll be competing for an OF spot next year? PG rated him as an OF coming out of HS. However, UK may have moved him to IF. The UK roster lists him as an IF, as does the media guide in several places.

Think they will move him back? Was he only there this year to add depth at 1B if they needed it or what? Why bounce him around so much?
He's someone who profiles as a corner OF or a first baseman, but the plan is for him to play outfield next season. He's listed as a first baseman on his summer league profile as well but he's in the outfield.

He's someone who profiles as a corner OF or a first baseman, but the plan is for him to play outfield next season. He's listed as a first baseman on his summer league profile as well but he's in the outfield.

If history is any indication, they will probably practice him at first base all fall long and then stick him in the OF at the last minute. 🤣

Two more hits and two walks for Pitre last night. He was also hit by a pitch, so pitchers are having a hard time getting him out so far in the Cal Ripken League. He's slashing .563/.636/.625. I'm curious to see what those numbers look like a month from now.

Colby Frieda made his second appearance of the summer. He faced 12 batters over 2.2 innings and gave up one earned run, one hit, struck out six and walked three.

Two more hits and two walks for Pitre last night. He was also hit by a pitch, so pitchers are having a hard time getting him out so far in the Cal Ripken League. He's slashing .563/.636/.625. I'm curious to see what those numbers look like a month from now.

Colby Frieda made his second appearance of the summer. He faced 12 batters over 2.2 innings and gave up one earned run, one hit, struck out six and walked three.

Wild that Pitre is hitting so well and he only got 4 at bats for UK.

Wild that Pitre is hitting so well and he only got 4 at bats for UK.
I think we both know its not wild but disappointing these underclassmen don't get developed.
Crazy how some Head Coaches look at younger guys and give them no love during games.
Ming's track record speaks for itself.

Reactions: MRobCat589
I think we both know its not wild but disappointing these underclassmen don't get developed.
Crazy how some Head Coaches look at younger guys and give them no love during games.

If we bring in no more transfers then we may very well rely on 7 players to fill out our lineup that had less than 65 at bats this season, with 4 of those having under 40.

And players like Church and McCarthy may have gotten fewer at bats were it not for Anu getting injured. Same thing with Burkes... had Rubalcaba not worn down towards the end of the year, and Liebert gotten banged up, he may have also seen fewer ABs.

Reactions: SeanCain
I don't think there's a reluctance to play freshmen, they just haven't gotten enough guys who could contribute early. Austin Schultz and John Rhodes were starters when they showed up, Chase Estep started 10 of 12 games in the COVID season and Church had a stretch last year where he helped.

I certainly would've liked to have seen Pitre get more than four at-bats. I think he's an expected starter in the infield next year. But was he better this past year than Estep, Ritter or Harris? Those were three of the team's better players this year either at the plate or defensively.

Thanks to Jack Angelucci, Utica's PBP announcer this summer, for informing me that Lukas Schramm has been back in North Carolina for his high school graduation. He's not played since June 10 but is expected back in the lineup on Friday. He also said Carson Applegate and Brandyn Durand are expected to be in Utica in July. It'll be a shorter summer for those guys but still a good opportunity to get some at-bats.

It is officially summer as the Cape Cod League has kicked off.

Ritter it playing for Cotuit and struggled last night going 0-5 with a strikeout.

Former UK player Cam Hill is also on Cotuit.

Hagenow and Hudepohl are both on the Wareham Gatemen. Neither pitched last night.

** I want to note here that Hudepohl is in the transfer portal. I don't know if that means that UK cannot talk about him or what, but they certainly didn't put him on the graphic and mention that he was playing in the Cape. **

Cotto is playing for Hyannis and pitched 1 scoreless, giving up 1 hit but striking out 3.

Strickland and Logue also playing for Hyannis, but neither played yesterday.
Cotto got some good vibes going with that outing against TN….hope he keeps it up

I don't think there's a reluctance to play freshmen, they just haven't gotten enough guys who could contribute early. Austin Schultz and John Rhodes were starters when they showed up, Chase Estep started 10 of 12 games in the COVID season and Church had a stretch last year where he helped.

I certainly would've liked to have seen Pitre get more than four at-bats. I think he's an expected starter in the infield next year. But was he better this past year than Estep, Ritter or Harris? Those were three of the team's better players this year either at the plate or defensively.

I think a contributing factor in this is that Ritter, Estep, and Harris were kind of up and down in terms of hitting success. You would ideally want to work a freshman into the lineup on the midweek. Let them see some weaker or younger pitchers. However, Ritter and Estep were struggling at times. So, I think they probably kept playing in the midweek so they could try to see more pitches and break out of weekend slumps. This cut down on ABs for Pitre. You also had that Felker ate up at bats.

Still, they probably could have worked him in more than just 4 ABs, but I can understand how it didn't happen.

Yep you hit the nail on the head. Generally midweek games are good to get the underclassmen work but taking an every day weekend guy out of the lineup so that he goes five days without seeing live pitching is tough. Although the other side of that argument is maybe that's what some of these guys may have needed the reset a little bit

Reactions: Comebakatz3
It's good in theory that you give your starters ABs during weekend games(playing your best that gives you a chance for a W) and younger guys midweek. In theory....but it seldom happens that way. Starters need reps, work in others as situations allow.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Six up, six down for Colby Frieda out of the bullpen today for Bethesda. He struck out three of those batters. Frieda's having a nice summer out of the pen. 6.2 IP, 11 strikeouts, 5 walks, two earned runs.

Reactions: parrott
James McCoy is through 20 games now with Kenosha in the Northwood League and is hitting .310/.443/.507 in 71 at-bats. McCoy has two doubles, three triples, two home runs and 15 walks with just 17 strikeouts. He's putting together a nice summer so far.

Reactions: parrott
Emilien Pitre continues to be a singles/on-base machine for Bethesda. He's now 22-45 (.489) at the plate this year with 21 singles. His OBP is .593 through 13 games.

Reactions: dtjr
ADVERTISEMENT