ADVERTISEMENT

Suggs' block on Riley's shot

FurdTerguson

Sophomore
Jan 9, 2009
It was one of the most amazing sequences I've ever seen, but it looked like Suggs grabbed the net after blocking Riley's shot. Is that not a goaltend or does the ball have to be in the cylinder or touching the cylinder for that call to be made? I'm not sure if it was touching the rim when it happened.

It was one of the most amazing sequences I've ever seen, but it looked like Suggs grabbed the net after blocking Riley's shot. Is that not a goaltend or does the ball have to be in the cylinder or touching the cylinder for that call to be made? I'm not sure if it was touching the rim when it happened.
Don't know about that, but Suggs definitely tipped the ball, went out of bounds, then was the first to touch it upon coming back in bounds. And unless that rule changed, its illegal.

Riley grabbed and pulled the rim down after the block. If it was goaltending on anyone, it would be Riley.

But as you note, nobody is calling that when the ball isn’t in the cylinder.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
It was a good play, Please......they won. By the way on the UCLA forum they are saying what we all have, that Cronin can use for recruiting how he developed Juzang while Cal had no idea how to play him to his strengths. I know there will be some with excuses but the outcome no matter how it occurred is pretty hard to defend.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
It doesn't matter what Gonzaga does, you will have people on here crying about it. There are a number of people on here that are so jealous of Gonzaga that it is sickening.
I don’t understand why there is so much anti-Gonzaga sentiment on this board. I know no logical reason why UK fans should hate Gonzaga ...maybe it is jealousy, or perhaps a lot of us just love to hate ...but it seems odd to me.

I'm still waiting for an explanation on the play where UCLA kicked the ball out of bounds but it hit Petty's shorts in the Alabama game with Bama up 1 and would've had possession. I am not saying it was the wrong call but did assume it would be a kicked ball since it hit the defender's foot? Anyone know the rule here to help explain that one?

Also in a tight game last night...I'd have wanted the clock to stop as officials retrieved the ball after the sequence discussed above where Suggs made the fantastic play to block and throw the pass for Timme's dunk. Not like the game came down to last seconds or anything--so what's 10-15 secs to let an official go get a ball to put back in play.

Don't know about that, but Suggs definitely tipped the ball, went out of bounds, then was the first to touch it upon coming back in bounds. And unless that rule changed, its illegal.
He can be the first to touch it if he has established position inbounds with both feet on the floor and cannot jump inbounds and grab the ball

I'm still waiting for an explanation on the play where UCLA kicked the ball out of bounds but it hit Petty's shorts in the Alabama game with Bama up 1 and would've had possession. I am not saying it was the wrong call but did assume it would be a kicked ball since it hit the defender's foot? Anyone know the rule here to help explain that one?

Also in a tight game last night...I'd have wanted the clock to stop as officials retrieved the ball after the sequence discussed above where Suggs made the fantastic play to block and throw the pass for Timme's dunk. Not like the game came down to last seconds or anything--so what's 10-15 secs to let an official go get a ball to put back in play.
I know in high school and other levels that I officiate a kick has to be intentional. In college it doesn’t look like they call it that way.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan

Aparently hitting a players shorts means it was off Bama. It was a bs call

That was maybe the nastiest, most significant defensive play I have ever seen.

That was maybe the nastiest, most significant defensive play I have ever seen.
Hakim Warrick blocking the Jayhawks from a chance to tie (iirc) Syracuse vs Kansas for the title was pretty impressive too but yeah this was a stunning play.

Reactions: AGEE11
Great clean play by Suggs. Refs kept UCLA in the game with bogus charge calls & over-the-back & travel non calls. Thank goodness the Bruins didn’t flop their way to the final game.

Reactions: CatPhight
Hey, Riley was pulling a Frank Kaminsky (knee to defender's thighs) all game long. I'm not saying this one call made the result not legit. Just saying I thought any touching of the rim or the net on a shot like that was a goaltend. But I haven't seen a replay so I don't know where the ball was.

I'd agree but gonzaga got a better whistle than anyone all tournament. So not hard to believe refs played a key role in two crunch time plays
UCLA had a pretty favorable whistle in their run--be it the numerous charges Bob Marley aka Tyger Campbell got calls on in the Alabama/Michigan/Gonzaga games-the one he was sideways against Kispert or the play where ball was kicked and they gave them ball, or the charge they didn't call when Herb Jones took it on same play they called 2 fouls on him earlier in game.

It's just what you do when you get the breaks that matters. UCLA did a fantastic job and Gonzaga did as well.

As long as he establishes himself in bound, its 100% legal.

Also, wasn’t this a guard blocking a big.

And his bounce pass at the other end was beautiful too.

Reactions: Fox2monk
To me it looked like Suggs got a lot of arm on the block and not much ball

He didn’t get his arm, but he did get his hand. And hand is part of the ball. Not going to get a foul call on that. Just a great play and especially by a guard. Then to retrieve the ball and start the fast break. Great players make great plays

I don’t understand why there is so much anti-Gonzaga sentiment on this board. I know no logical reason why UK fans should hate Gonzaga ...maybe it is jealousy, or perhaps a lot of us just love to hate ...but it seems odd to me.
They just don't like watching a team that plays the game the right, you know as a team. Those who hate a team like Gonzaga have been educated by the Calipari way, if you are not a high nba draft choice there is no way that you can play the game. Speed, quickness, how high your verticle is that is what matters. Basketball skills, basketball IQ, and playing as a team are a very low priority in Calipari's way of thinking.

He didn’t get his arm, but he did get his hand. And hand is part of the ball. Not going to get a foul call on that. Just a great play and especially by a guard. Then to retrieve the ball and start the fast break. Great players make great plays
He got his forearm and his hand. Here it is in slo-mo (look at the right forearm fling to the left after contact):

Reactions: HICATFAN
They just don't like watching a team that plays the game the right, you know as a team. Those who hate a team like Gonzaga have been educated by the Calipari way, if you are not a high nba draft choice there is no way that you can play the game. Speed, quickness, how high your verticle is that is what matters. Basketball skills, basketball IQ, and playing as a team are a very low priority in Calipari's way of thinking.
I love watching Gonzaga play, that said I want them to lose because they would be a perfect season, title, and the new it school. They already are but this will help them even more. I don’t want that to happen. With Roy and K(has to be soon) going out we could be the program to get all the players who come to college. We need to get our mojo back.

He got his forearm and his hand. Here it is in slo-mo (look at the right forearm fling to the left after contact):

That was mostly ball, look at the forward view he didn’t get much contact. Amazing play. Put it this way. If UK was playing and made a game saving play like that that led to a score, we would have went nuts if they called a foul there.

That was mostly ball, look at the forward view he didn’t get much contact. Amazing play. Put it this way. If UK was playing and made a game saving play like that that led to a score, we would have went nuts if they called a foul there.
I gotta disagree man. The forward view more clearly shows him hitting the hand (and, yes, a little bit of the ball too I'll admit). The behind the play view is where you clearly see Suggs' forearm hit Riley's forearm and it flings to the left.

Very selectively enforced unless it’s Immanuel Quickley fully establishing position inbounds and getting called for it anyway

I gotta disagree man. The forward view more clearly shows him hitting the hand (and, yes, a little bit of the ball too I'll admit). The behind the play view is where you clearly see Suggs' forearm hit Riley's forearm and it flings to the left.
Maybe but watch his arm, if he would have hit him that hard and not gotten the ball he wouldn’t have been able to still grab the rim. It appears from the forward view after he hit the ball he cleanly went the other direction. I think in real time watching the ball it was to close to call a foul.

It was a good play, Please......they won. By the way on the UCLA forum they are saying what we all have, that Cronin can use for recruiting how he developed Juzang while Cal had no idea how to play him to his strengths. I know there will be some with excuses but the outcome no matter how it occurred is pretty hard to defend.
Cal should be made to give back his HOF award. That was truly malfeasance to miss that badly on a recruit. Recruiting Boston over JJ.

ADVERTISEMENT