ADVERTISEMENT

Streaming TV

Tell them you're leaving, found an alternative with a better price for the same thing they are offering. Worked the past 2 years and dropped my bill $40 a month for a customer loyalty discount for a year. Call back when it expires. It's outrageous what they charge for someone who only watches sports and DirecTV offers a cheaper alternative of their own with the same content for what they were charging to have a traditional cable box. I would have gone the streaming route but as I said earlier in the thread, caring for elderly parents at my home and much easier for them to use than to navigate apps, devices, etc.
$ 40 is about right. If I can get then to go down by $ 40 and give me The Sunday Ticket for free I'd be very content.

My son got me a new TV and it came with $100 streaming credit. I will try Sling if I can ever figure out how to sign up

Can you ff through the commercials on the dvr recordings? I have a friend complaining about not being allowed to skip commercials on many channels?
With youtubetv you can skip through the commercials. I was also able to do so when I had slingtv. When I tried Hulu they were cracking down on that a little more. That's why I stuck with youtubetv.

Its a streaming box that gets everything. Local, not local, all sports, MLB, NBA, NFL, Amazon, Disney, HULU, Netflix. You get it all. I paid $275 one time. I got mine from Louisville media box.
Yeah I bought a boat from a guy down in Portland TN and he worked for Comcast. His buddy got me one. Pay every six months. The thing is like the old days with direct TV cards you could program and get all channels. I'm sure there will be a fix to stop it eventually but I will ride it until they do.

Thank you very much. I'm torn as I love DTV and love the remote and interface. The price has just gotten out of control. Hard call. I think I'll stick with DTV for now and try to work them down on price.
Good luck.

I had DTV for a long time, but yeah the price got crazy high. I now love YouTubeTV. And it has some nice subtle features.
- Like 2 years ago I recorded a UK game, it asked me if I wanted to record more of them. Now it records all of them.
- I like how you can get on your laptop and sort the order that the channels appear on your tv screen. But I don't like that can't get a description of the show on the guide.
- I like that you can watch on your phone or laptop or tablet, or your kid can go off to college and use one of your 5 device accounts.

Good luck.

I had DTV for a long time, but yeah the price got crazy high. I now love YouTubeTV. And it has some nice subtle features.
- Like 2 years ago I recorded a UK game, it asked me if I wanted to record more of them. Now it records all of them.
- I like how you can get on your laptop and sort the order that the channels appear on your tv screen. But I don't like that can't get a description of the show on the guide.
- I like that you can watch on your phone or laptop or tablet, or your kid can go off to college and use one of your 5 device accounts.
I think it’s just a matter of time before YouTube TV starts over charging but I’m still torn. I can afford the DTV fee but hate throwing money away if there’s a much cheaper solution that is virtually identical.

According to several reports including one from Wired, a group of over twenty film studios are repeatedly pursuing legal action against popular VPN providers.

These filmmakers are attempting to recoup the millions of dollars in lost revenue from piracy.

Hollywood companies have also alleged for a long time that VPN providers encourage online piracy and have clear evidence that their customers are abusing the privacy provided by VPNs.

Two popular VPN providers that have been in the crosshairs of Hollywood so far in 2022 include ExpressVPN and Private Internet Access (PIA). Both of these VPNs are owned by the parent company Kape Technologies.

These two VPNs along with several others claim a “no logs policy” meaning the VPN provider does not store any Internet activity logs of its users.

In other words, VPN providers with a “no logs policy” can’t access user data to turn over to authorities if confiscated.

According to the official court documentation, on March 26, 2022, several film companies brought allegations against ExpressVPN and PIA (Kape Technologies) for allegations of user piracy.

The plaintiffs argued that VPN providers “refuse to prevent users from using their services to commit serious illegal acts and run marketing campaigns that boast about law enforcement being unable to extract any user information.”

The lawsuit against Kape Technologies states the following:

“Emboldened by Defendants’ promises that their identities cannot be disclosed, Defendants’ end-users use their VPN services not only to engage in widespread movie piracy, but other outrageous criminal conduct such as harassment, illegal hacking, and murder.
When these crimes become public, Defendants use these tragic incidents as opportunities to boast about their VPN services.”
The attorneys defending Kape Technologies responded to these allegations:

“These allegations are completely irrelevant and serve only to inflame emotions in a misguided attempt to prejudice the Court and the public against the defendants by false association with the non-parties whose conduct is described in these paragraphs.”
You can view official court documentation below:

Hollywood Companies & Kape Technologies Court Documentation (PDF)

More VPNs Sued by Hollywood

In addition to ExpressVPN and Private Internet Access (PIA), Hollywood has targeted numerous other VPN providers in the past.

This is highlighted by TorGuard, LiquidVPN, and VPN.ht.

I believe copyright holders filing lawsuits against VPN companies is just the tip of the ice berg until they figure out a system to target those doing copyright/illegal activity with the VPNs with ease. As long as people don't do anything stupid/immoral and there's nothing to worry about.

I believe copyright holders filing lawsuits against VPN companies is just the tip of the ice berg until they figure out a system to target those doing copyright/illegal activity with the VPNs with ease. As long as people don't do anything stupid/immoral and there's nothing to worry about.
It's only a matter of time before it's declared viewing illegal streams is declared either a criminal or civil offense.

AT&T has been in my neighborhood pushing their new service "AT&T Fiber", it sounds tempting to switch from Spectrum to their service but I'm a bit hesitant not knowing how good their service is. The guy that came around said he could save me $100.

It's only a matter of time before it's declared viewing illegal streams is declared either a criminal or civil offense.
Basically what I was saying.. Waiting on a system to easily identify everyone consuming these streams, downloading paid software programs for free, etc otherwise individuals would be getting prosecuted already. As I said earlier, you can play the odds game thinking it will never happen to you but you're SOL if caught. The thought of my ISP slowing my speed or terminating service with Xfinity my best option for high speed internet where I live in a rural area is enough to stop me, let alone legal action for breaking the law. No one should be taking solace in that it's only been the hosts of streaming content, copyrighted material being targeted. They're next.

Last edited:
It's probably coming eventually. They've mostly left the end users/downloaders alone thus far, but the priorities could be altered at any time. They've gone relatively hard after torrenting, but left usenet downloaders alone for the past 20+ years. Same story with streaming and just pursuing the providers.

If they're going to make pursuing the end use streamers a priority, then they'd have to start with altering/eliminating the distribution channels. There's virtually no chance they're going to pursue end users when the superboxes (& similar) are readily available at big box stores everywhere.

If they're actually successful with wiping out the "no log" VPNs, then that's a game changer. And the landscape could change pretty quickly.
Definitely coming. It really boils down to it's easier to target the host of streamers. If there was an easy way to prosecute millions of people across the globe accessing copyrighted streams, you would be hearing about it more. Right now it's like an interstate with 20 cars in a row in the fast lane going 40 over. Wouldn't want to be the last one in line when the others stand no chance of getting pulled over.

Netflix's subscriber base starting to fall off a cliff is going to precipitate it. They've introduced a crackdown on password sharing in some other countries that has apparently been a complete disaster. I have a feeling it's just going to motivate people to pirate their content instead of subscribing.

All the studios decided to start getting greedy and start their own streaming service, practically turning streaming into cable TV where you have to subscribe to a million things to access what you used to be able to do in like 1-3 services.

At least Netflix is claiming to be changing their strategy a bit away from excessive quantity with little quality to cutting down on the quantity and focusing more on quality. That's why stuff like HBO and Disney are thriving.

But generally they just never ****ing learn. You would have thought after what the music industry but I guess that was too much to ask.

Troy point is reporting Amazon turned off developer options on the firestick meaning no loading from unknown sources. That may complicate things

Have Hulu live, they keep raising the price adding channels I don't want...im guessing youtube probably has it too, but i use the on demand function just as much as I watch live. Only other thing, hulu is a little bit behind other live TV so there's been times I get a text from ppl when a big play happens before i see it.

Parents still have directv so I use their credentials for hbo, showtime, espn+. Tried to do it for EPIX, but apparently you can't. Also they have the family netflix so, use that too.

Also I got apple TV since it's only like 5 bucks a month. Not a huge selection of originals but some of the stuff they do have is good.

Also have Prime, I wish they would change their format, it's garbage

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT