ADVERTISEMENT

Stop Blaming Eddie Gran

calismyhero

Junior
Jan 16, 2010
He’s not out there on the field dropping passes, fumbling, giving a half assed uninspired effort. Once again for those who didn’t listen the first time...we win as a team and we lose as a team. Except for Yusuf Corker and Matt Ruffalo, everybody else graded an F. Total team lay down. I’m sensing this team is headed for a tumultuous second half of the season and could very well not win another game.

Every day I go to work, I work 9–12 hours a day 5 1/2 days a week. For young, strong men to show up and play one of the worst games we’ve played in years, irregardless of any mitigating circumstances, amounts to a complete failure to achieve any of the things needed to compete in the SEC.

Looking right down the barrel at getting annihilated by a Georgia team that historically manhandles us followed by games against Florida, Alabama, Vanderbilt and South Carolina. Rick Bozich, a man I know personally and can not stand made a statement yesterday that I had to agree with. CMS biggest failure here is not being able to develop a quarterback. Whether it’s execution, injuries, whatever, our quarterback play is not cutting it. I knew when we opened the game with 3 straight pass plays, none of which were close to being a completion that this team was not ready to play. It only got worse from there.

A lot of unanswered questions about this team and when the time comes to answer them, we are going to need a bit more substance from the man in charge. He doesn’t take criticism very well.

Reactions: UKat1 and ala_kat2
Whether Gran or Stoops, somebody made the decision to try to exploit what at least on paper, Mizzou does poorly which is pass defense.
UK went away from what we do best which is run the ball.
I personally favor that we play to our strength which is running and let other teams stop us.
The hell with trying to put in a different offensive game plan for each opponent.
IMO, just as it happened to UT, the offense demoralized the defense. That 3 and out dud to start set the tone for the entire game.

Whether Gran or Stoops, somebody made the decision to try to exploit what at least on paper, Mizzou does poorly which is pass defense.
UK went away from what we do best which is run the ball.
I personally favor that we play to our strength which is running and let other teams stop us.
The hell with trying to put in a different offensive game plan for each opponent.
IMO, just as it happened to UT, the offense demoralized the defense. That 3 and out dud to start set the tone for the entire game.

Especially when you win the toss and choose to receive the opening kick.

That is ALWAYS the wrong choice.

First play of game was high risk - Upshaw had a step but needed a good pass but unfortunately it was under thrown - second down was overthrown - 3rd down had no chance to make 10

I didn't realize the guys dropping passes also told the Running Backs which one would play. That is Gran but to be fair Stoops should have stepped in when he saw AJ trotting out there and said get Rodriguez in the game.

Reactions: Jont0805
These are trends that Eddie Gran should be held accountable for:

- 2020 YTD UK is scoring 24 pts a game that is 70th in NCAA
- 2019 UK scored 26 pts a game for 86th
- 2018 UK scored 25 pts a game for 87th
- 2017 UK scored 30t pts a game for 58th
- 2016 UK scored 24 pts a game for 95th

There are about 127 teams in NCAA (we know in 2020 that number is way down with all the schools cancelled due to Covid). And in 2020 all the cupcake non conference games are taken out so there isn't a bunch of padding the stats per se for any teams.

This is all I can say...The 2020 offense has been a major dissapointment to have as low an output ever with Gran/Stoops at the helm. We have a Sr QB, Sr OL, no injuries to date, Sr RB, Sr WR, etc...it's just not acceptable no matter how you slice it. We were more explosive as an offensive unit with a freaking WR and QB...and he had about same WR crew we have now. It all boils down to the QB play is just simply unacceptable. For the gain in throwing the ball w/o Bowden (which just isn't a ton believe it or not) we've lost more in having a true running threat at QB (to which people need to wake up and see Terry has clearly lost some speed/explosion).

Finally, in our stats we've had 4 defensive TDs (Kelvin Joseph, Jamin Davis vs. UT and Jordan Wright and Josh Paschal vs. Miss st)...and a few TOs that set up short fields for offense. So what that all boils down is the defense is being forced to score on their own (which is not something you can depend upon) or hold opposing offense to less than 20 pts for us to win games. That isn't acceptable.

Maybe Stoops is holding Gran back...that is the new debate among the fans. All I know is Gran/Hinshaw did a solid job when Barker went down and grooming Stephen Johnson on short notice. But they've done an equally bad job with Terry Wilson and the rest of QBs the past 3 years (Gunner was poor before he left, last year was a fiasco to not even get a backup ready and this year looks exactly the same). All i know is something has to give or we'll move back below USC/Mizzou and we'll have zero shot of moving closer to UF/UGA if we don't put an offense that can score closer to 30 pts a game. It is just facts and not really a valid opinion at this point.

Why doesn't someone in the media have the balls to ask Stoops how he is going to fix the offense? He is getting paid a lot of money to coach up both sides of the ball.

Get er done Stoops.

It gets old talking about this and I wouldn't expect it to change. Gran may provide the directions but Stoops is driving the bus and our offensive output is a reflection of how Stoops wants a game to go. Even when we have good days, its still a lame offense that is completely incapable of being top end competitor. its very limited thinking and something has to change in order for our overall record to change.

Its not the players or the QB, its Gran, Stoops, HInshaw, etc. Our guys aren't elite throw in some other coaches laps and we'd look alot different.

Normally I support Gran. But UT had no problem running on Missouri. We should've been able to run over them as well. I have no idea why we came out throwing.

We ran fine. We should've stuck with it. Lack of carries was our biggest problem. That includes AJ who had a nice game, despite the ire of the fans.

Whoever made the decision to attack mizzou almost exclusively through the air, made a huge error. The execution was way off, as anyone can see in these breakdowns, but we can't just change our identity especially against an opponent the level of Mizzou

When it comes to offense, CMS fancies himself Bo Schembechler but he more closely resembles Little Bo Peep. I'm not sure what the he!! they were thinking in this game. Even if Missouri has a lackluster passing D, UK has been lackluster at throwing the ball since Stoops arrived. Something is rotten regarding the O and it all falls squarely on the HC.

Eddie Gran's stupid ass threw a 30 yard TE sideline route to start the game??? Something like that. 3 straight throws. We came out looking like complete idiots, and that never changed throughout the game. Missouri coaches had to be laughing and thanking Eddie all game. They only won by 10 points and we ran a total of 30ish plays. Screw you, Eddie. The man was a lunatic on Saturday.

Reactions: screwduke1
These are trends that Eddie Gran should be held accountable for:

- 2020 YTD UK is scoring 24 pts a game that is 70th in NCAA
- 2019 UK scored 26 pts a game for 86th
- 2018 UK scored 25 pts a game for 87th
- 2017 UK scored 30t pts a game for 58th
- 2016 UK scored 24 pts a game for 95th

There are about 127 teams in NCAA (we know in 2020 that number is way down with all the schools cancelled due to Covid). And in 2020 all the cupcake non conference games are taken out so there isn't a bunch of padding the stats per se for any teams.

This is all I can say...The 2020 offense has been a major dissapointment to have as low an output ever with Gran/Stoops at the helm. We have a Sr QB, Sr OL, no injuries to date, Sr RB, Sr WR, etc...it's just not acceptable no matter how you slice it. We were more explosive as an offensive unit with a freaking WR and QB...and he had about same WR crew we have now. It all boils down to the QB play is just simply unacceptable. For the gain in throwing the ball w/o Bowden (which just isn't a ton believe it or not) we've lost more in having a true running threat at QB (to which people need to wake up and see Terry has clearly lost some speed/explosion).

Finally, in our stats we've had 4 defensive TDs (Kelvin Joseph, Jamin Davis vs. UT and Jordan Wright and Josh Paschal vs. Miss st)...and a few TOs that set up short fields for offense. So what that all boils down is the defense is being forced to score on their own (which is not something you can depend upon) or hold opposing offense to less than 20 pts for us to win games. That isn't acceptable.

Maybe Stoops is holding Gran back...that is the new debate among the fans. All I know is Gran/Hinshaw did a solid job when Barker went down and grooming Stephen Johnson on short notice. But they've done an equally bad job with Terry Wilson and the rest of QBs the past 3 years (Gunner was poor before he left, last year was a fiasco to not even get a backup ready and this year looks exactly the same). All i know is something has to give or we'll move back below USC/Mizzou and we'll have zero shot of moving closer to UF/UGA if we don't put an offense that can score closer to 30 pts a game. It is just facts and not really a valid opinion at this point.
Thank you!!! I've been preaching this forever with the 30 pt rule as I call it...

Reactions: K_TIME
Rose is obviously Stoops’ favorite or he would override Gran.
The thing is , Rose can be effective if used correctly . He should be in on all 3rd & long , some second & long . IMO they don’t use him enough in the passing game . Get him matched up with a linebacker and throw him the damn ball . How about trying him on a wheel route out of the backfield . Other teams run it every week . Hell he‘s probably faster and has better hands than any of our receivers anyway .

Is it fair to say Missouri played defense to stop the run and dared us to beat them with the pass? I have little confidence in our passing game as it exists now. My guess is Georgia will play us that way. Our offensive woes may get worse. It's a shame considering most considered our offensive line to be one of the best.

Reactions: zcats
Coach Gran has had a say in EVERY offensive player recruited on this team, especially the skill positions. So, the lack of production from this team lies SQUARELY on his shoulders!!

His offense has had ONE year of averaging over 25 points\game. That will not make it in today’s game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.Morris
The thing is , Rose can be effective if used correctly . He should be in on all 3rd & long , some second & long . IMO they don’t use him enough in the passing game . Get him matched up with a linebacker and throw him the damn ball . How about trying him on a wheel route out of the backfield . Other teams run it every week . Hell he‘s probably faster and has better hands than any of our receivers anyway .

Stoops don't know what a wheel route is. If it's more then run it Left off tackle, run it Right off tackle, then Coach Stoops isn't going to run it. How long has it been since you've seen a reverse, wheel route or option.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: UKat1 and yoshukai
When Gran was the head coach at UC, his offense was much more balanced and effective. Now I understand that the SEC is playing against a higher level of talent. But his offense here at UK doesn’t remotely resemble what he ran at UC. So either he still doesn’t have the personnel or hasn’t been able to develop the personnel to run that offense or Stoops isn’t allowing him to.

It was a poor decision to receive opening kickoff, poor decision to open up with 3 straight passes, poor decisions led to Mizzou gaining confidence, and to allow 14 of 25 conversions on 3rd and 4th down is a systemic breakdown on defense. Schlarman's absence i am sure affected O-line and team, how would it not, they are human. On to Georgia.

Gran had just spent three years calling plays before he came here and he had been in the game twenty five years. This wasn't a slam dunk hire and he has been given a lot of time here with very little criticism based on how we have ranked offensively. It's time to get better results for the money being spent..

Eddie Gran's stupid ass threw a 30 yard TE sideline route to start the game??? Something like that. 3 straight throws. We came out looking like complete idiots, and that never changed throughout the game. Missouri coaches had to be laughing and thanking Eddie all game. They only won by 10 points and we ran a total of 30ish plays. Screw you, Eddie. The man was a lunatic on Saturday.

It was wide open. DB was beat and safety took an awful angle The qb missed the throw.

Continuing to go to the air is absolutely fair game. Especially after it was obvious it was one of those bad Terry days.

Reactions: Mozzie
It is entirely on Eddie Gran, Hinshaw, and Stoops.

We're not in year 1 with an empty cupboard.

What we're seeing on the field is not a lack of talent, speed, size, strength, athleticism, depth, etc...

We're seeing a failure to consistently execute within a certain aspect of the game. Offense, and more specifically, passing offense.

Over the last 7 years or so we've had productive RBs, good special teams, good defenses, good OLs...even great exceptional individual talents and production within those groups.

What we have not seen is consistent production on par with SEC and P5 peers within the passing game and from those specific skills positions.

We haven't even been average.

There are awful teams with mediocre talent out there that get 3000 yards and 20-25 scores through the air a year.

Either there is an inability to recruit good talent, more specifically the right talent, or there is an inability to develop and coach the talent over the course of the offseason and practices leading up to games then ultimately game plan, and execute the play call with said talent.

The proof is in the pudding. QBs and WRs are not panning out, and the passing game is not productive enough.

ADVERTISEMENT