ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops wants to give his contract money to the players

Bluegrass79

Senior
Mar 4, 2008
Well Mr Stoops all you have to do is send
... I don't know .....four or five million to my bank account and I'll make sure they get it.
Im like the dog on Bush's beans TV commercials.... I ain't saying nothing!

Reactions: K_TIME
... I don't know .....four or five million to my bank account and I'll make sure they get it.
I mean you're right. There is nothing preventing him (other than Mitch) from having somebody be the point person for his bourbon company and hire some players for NIL $$$$.

Same goes for any company that Stoops would want to cut a deal with to basically NIL UK players.

It's all money laundering practically....but I see no reason you don't go for it. Especially given you signed a crazy high contract that he does not deserve IMO

I mean you're right. There is nothing preventing him (other than Mitch) from having somebody be the point person for his bourbon company and hire some players for NIL $$$$.

Same goes for any company that Stoops would want to cut a deal with to basically NIL UK players.

It's all money laundering practically....but I see no reason you don't go for it. Especially given you signed a crazy high contract that he does not deserve IMO
I understand your point but it isn't money laundering. They may be obfuscating the source that isn't the same as money laundering in this instance.

Reactions: Bluegrass79
If only he were part owner in a bourbon distillery, he could funnel it through that.

Reactions: FltDoc
College sports are ruined. The flood gates have been opened.
NIL means that a college education has no value to these players. I say get rid of NIL, get rid of the transfer rules and take it back where it was before Covid. If a college education, free of charge, isn't good enough for these players coming out of high school then let them figure out their best path to the NFL if that's all they care about. Let the players have a predetermined stipend each month. Fix the NCAA or replace it.

I say get rid of NIL,
It’s getting old reminding people, but NIL is a creature of THE LAW, via SCOTUS.

You and the rest of us will be gone long before NIL.

Saying, “get rid of NIL” is as realistic as saying “get rid of the 14th Amendment.”

Except it's against the rules for players to have NIL contracts with alcohol, tobacco, or gambling organizations.

He should give it back to UK after the Vandy loss.

Would love to see language in a contract stating if they lose to inferior teams the coach is docked pay.

• Haha
Reactions: Lost In FL
I think the tax liability would make gifting it someone as an end around would make it a very inefficient way to get the players money.

It’s getting old reminding people, but NIL is a creature of THE LAW, via SCOTUS.

Saying, “get rid of NIL” is as realistic as saying “get rid of the 14th Amendment.”
NIL effects on CFB as we see and know at this moment appears to be negative across the board. Navigating the nuances of law is something that's been done forever. If the net effects of NIL on schools in smaller population cities will be to render them without the ability to compete with other larger conference schools, something will be done. I can't see letting this mess continue in its current format. Something will have to change if there's any chance of parity across the board. Currently it's total BS. Cost of living increases, inflation, a crap economy, rising ticket prices, struggling football programs, lifetime contracts, pay raises for coaches and contract extensions, dissent among fanbases and now they look at the fans and want us to pay the players. Yeah ... I don't think so. When it becomes apparent that CFB will die, as we know, they will magically fix it or it will die. Maybe it's for the best in the long run ... who knows?

Last edited:
I think the tax liability would make gifting it someone as an end around would make it a very inefficient way to get the players money.
I pay the full FICA and a lesser % on income tax than Stoops . . . hence, about an equal rate, from money I can give.

NIL effects on CFB as we see and know at this moment appears to be negative across the board. Navigating the nuances of law is something that's been done forever. If the net effects of NIL on schools in smaller population cities will be to render them without the ability to compete with other larger conference schools, something will be done. I can't see letting this mess continue in its current format. Something will have to change if there's any chance of parity across the board. Currently it's total BS. Cost of living increases, inflation, a crap economy, rising ticket prices, struggling football programs, lifetime contracts, pay raises for coaches and contract extensions, dissent among fanbases and now they look at the fans and want us to pay the players. Yeah ... I don't think so. When it becomes apparent that CFB will die, as we know, they will magically fix it or it will die. Maybe it's for the best in the long run ... who knows?
Teams that have the chips will play at the Big Table; teams that don't will watch:

poker-cards.gif

It'll take a few years to sort out, but it will get sorted out.

I pay the full FICA and a lesser % on income tax than Stoops . . . hence, about an equal rate, from money I can give.
I wasn't referring to his income tax per se. If I'm not mistaken, when you gift money to someone over a certain dollar amount, it gets taxed like a bonus, somewhere in the 40+ percent range. Really was referring to Stoops gifting it to (shadow person) so that they could in turn, turnaround and funnel it to a player.

College sports are ruined. The flood gates have been opened.
Amateur sports, FIFY lol.

8th graders will be millionaires soon and they’ll not even have had their balls drop but they’ll want to change their gender and probably already have 2 illegitimate children.

It’s so wild, it’s believable lol. And scary that we’re not far from that.

If he really meant it, the easiest thing to do would be just not to take the $2.5 million extra. Let Mitch keep that in the athletic budget and tell his big donors to give that money to the collective.

Reactions: The-Hack and catben
If he really meant it, the easiest thing to do would be just not to take the $2.5 million extra. Let Mitch keep that in the athletic budget and tell his big donors to give that money to the collective.
agreed and coaches have done that in the past, pre NIL. Stoops would even get a tax break for the charitable donation.

Reactions: catben
agreed and coaches have done that in the past, pre NIL. Stoops would even get a tax break for the charitable donation.
Heck, Matt Mitchell(former UK women's BB coach) did just this very thing!!!

They only said that players own their own NIL. That doesn’t mean it has to be handled the way it is being handled.

The idea that we’re supposed to give our own money to a 19 year old to try to reduce some unknown chance that a good player on our favorite team is leaving is disgusting tbh.
I am donating money with 5 season football ticket and a parking pass. The 5 football tickets also includes donations to the K fund.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT