ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops Signs Extension

Too soon. Barney knee jerk reacting again. Should have waited another season. One bowl game is no proof of future success.
Your wrong! He IS the ONLY coach who has gotten big $$$$ by creating relationships with boosters! We are now competing with the 2nd tier now! Facilities we have are due to his work off the field! You pay him on the come besides it is incentive based!

This miracle talk is ridiculous. First off it was bad but not even as close to being as bad as some are trying to exaggerate it to be. This is like Matt Jones constantly stating that UK was a mid level MAC team when Joker left. Never mind the fact that during Joker's last year Kent State went undefeated in the MAC and we blew them out. We were not a quality SEC team for sure but we were hardly a mid level MAC team either.

Second I don't buy the previous argument that we were the worst roster in P5 conferences. There were a lot of truely awful rosters back then. I haven't done a survey of that year but I'd bet there's probably a dozen or so teams we would have beaten. Again not saying Joker left the program in good shape, it's just some of this miracle talk is hyperbole.

Also let's not pretend that he was routinely beating P5 teams those first 3 years either. Other than an occasional win over Vandy or South Carolina, Stoops' wins were against barely division 1 teams. It doesn't take a miracle to beat Charlotte, Louisiana Monroe or South Alabama. Even with the roster Joker left behind. Stoops had a couple of nice wins those first 3 years but pretty much every coach pulls a few of those off. After all Joker beat Tennessee with the roster he left behind. And he didn't even have a QB play in the game. Bottom line is these miracle wins are not even close to being as miraculous as you make them sound.
Yea we got lucky to beat that team early in the year. Go back and look at the transfers who left. They all went to lower divisions and struggled to even play on division 2 teams. Thank about that lol. You point to one game what about getting beat by 40 points to the bottom of the sec East. Anybody who thinks the roster Stoops inherited would have been an above average Mac school is delusional. I've made lists of players that left who did not excel at lower divisions. It was in the upper 20s.

First of all, this team is not going 3-9 or 4-8 next year, so there is very little chance of a big disaster. However, there is also little to no reason for UK to have tied its hands with a 12-15 million dollar buyout to a coach with one winning season. He can still leave for a better job, and write us a check for 3 months salary. Who in their right mind would agree to that?? Deefeense above says "People a lot smarter then me have determined that the value we receive by the extension, and the probability of Stoops and his staff succeeding, verses failing, outweighs the decision not to extend", and on that note, he and I respectfully disagree.

UK has never been closer to being an established, credible program without cheating in my lifetime than it is now. If not Stoops and now, then with who and when should the administration show that with all the new upgrades to CWS and the football facilities we'll pay a coach better than the bottom third in the SEC?

For all the angst about Stoops leaving for a 'bigger program', the combination of those facilities and upgrades and this kind of paycheck are the best chances UK will probably ever have of becoming one of those 'bigger programs'. Keep him here long enough for it to become home to his family and let the program grow into something sustainable. .

As long as Stoops keeps recruiting SEC football talent,then the odds are more in his and us fans favor!

UK has never been closer to being an established, credible program without cheating in my lifetime than it is now. If not Stoops and now, then with who and when should the administration show that with all the new upgrades to CWS and the football facilities we'll pay a coach better than the bottom third in the SEC?

For all the angst about Stoops leaving for a 'bigger program', the combination of those facilities and upgrades and this kind of paycheck are the best chances UK will probably ever have of becoming one of those 'bigger programs'. Keep him here long enough for it to become home to his family and let the program grow into something sustainable. .

I agree, Va Tech is a good historical comparison of a program with not much success prior to Frank Beamer. They patiently and wisely stuck with him while he built a quality program.

People talk about buyouts because the more years you add to a contract the bigger the buyout is, and if a guy doesn't succeed, then it can be a deterrent to moving on from that coach. Everything we discuss on here in relation to the program is out of our control...no one is stressed about it, just sharing our take on it.

I am a Stoops supporter, I am a Mitch supporter, but this is jumping the gun imo. No kid is going to balk at going to a school when the current coach is under contract for 3 years. Getting into a 5 year contract with a coach that just came off his first winning season in his 4th year at 7-6 is something I don't agree with.
Worried about the buyout... why would you want to keep someone that wanted to be somewhere else?

Sorry, you can't leave your job unless you pay us your next 4 years of earnings up front. We don't care if you're miserable.

BTW: the buyout for UK is 75% of the future value of the contract. Prior to this extension it was 100%.

We didn't lock him up, that's the thing. We put a lousy $1 million buyout in his contract. That is going to stop no school from comIng after him. What we did is commit more money and make the buyout on our end more. I think Stoops is the guy, I have been one of the few Mitch supporters on here, but this one makes no sense to me.
I think you and some others are missing a subtle point here. At least, this is my guess as to how MB might be thinking.

I this era of big dollars, a formal contractual buy-out is of limited value. I mean, yes, you'll get the money if the coach leaves, but as far as a means of preventing him from being poached, it doesn't do much. If he blows up and becomes a hot commodity, the kind of places he'd leave for could easily afford whatever is in the contract. The best way to get the guy to not leave is to make it so he doesn't want to leave, and the best way to do that is to do things to make him feel like the AD has his back, and that this is the kind of place that supports him. You do that by not tying him up with a buyout, by giving him an extension in year x when basic economics might say wait until 2 or 3 years later. By doing whatever you can to say "you're the guy, we have faith in you", even before it's smart or obvious.

Our AD budget is, what, $125 million now? Buyout money (in the case of the coach doing great and leaving) is secondary. Payout money (in the case of the coach bombing and we have to fire him) is secondary. We can afford all that. I'm not advocating being careless with the budget. I'm saying you do things which may seem to not make sense economically just to develop the relationship between the coach and the school so that, if he has a chance to leave, maybe it's not easy for him. It's all about relationships, as Coach K might say. heh.

Completely agree. Taking a team from 2-10 to 7-5 with the added benefit of great recruiting is absolutely no grounds to extend a coach at a perennial loser. For shame, Mitch. The hell is that man thinking?

And ANOTHER thing... Why'd he extend Calipari? I mean, c'mon. One championship, a few Final Fours, and he's had eight years to do so much more. Disgraceful. FAR' EM.

7-6. For an SEC big boy program as some claim we now are, 7-6 is a very, very sh##y record. He does not deserve the extension YET!

Yea we got lucky to beat that team early in the year. Go back and look at the transfers who left. They all went to lower divisions and struggled to even play on division 2 teams. Thank about that lol. You point to one game what about getting beat by 40 points to the bottom of the sec East. Anybody who thinks the roster Stoops inherited would have been an above average Mac school is delusional. I've made lists of players that left who did not excel at lower divisions. It was in the upper 20s.
Got lucky? We beat Kent State 47-14 and rolled up 500+ yards of offense. That's a lot of luck.

And yes I believe we would have been way better than a mid level MAC team. In fact that point is prove-ably correct.

Got lucky? We beat Kent State 47-14 and rolled up 500+ yards of offense. That's a lot of luck.

And yes I believe we would have been way better than a mid level MAC team. In fact that point is prove-ably correct.
So last year we where not conference USA level? We did lose to usm. I bet you would argue we are better than them even though they outscored us 42 7 in 2nd half. Kent state was a better team. There whole season proved that. Explain the players that left not succeeding at division 2 schools please. Your only argument is Kent state.

7-6. For an SEC big boy program as some claim we now are, 7-6 is a very, very sh##y record. He does not deserve the extension YET!

Nobody is saying we're a big boy program yet. You're trying to twist what people are saying to your narrative. Given that there are 12 games in the regular season, I thought it fitting to compare that record and not the post-season or lack thereof. Seven wins in the regular season is more than two. Five more, to be exact.

Stoops brings back a majority of the past season's players and got rid of Eliot. These are positive marks. UK has been a door mat for the longest time. Are you really going to get your panties in a wad if we're subject to a couple years of mediocrity? Recruiting isn't slowing down and the facilities will still be excellent in the next few years in case someone else comes in after a firing.

We're supporting and investing in the best chance at prolonged success we've had in years. Take a chill pill and walk it off, Man.

Reactions: Deeeefense
Put me on the record as disagreeing with this.

I want Stoops to succeed as badly as anyone, but this is ridiculous. A downturn leaves us with a coach that we can't afford to get rid of.
This thread sums up U.K. fans as the .5% of the fan base who are largely negative, uneducated about college football in general and wait for their annual failure on the field to fuel their venom toward the football program. This microcosm of society exists on every college and pro sports boards. At the end of the day our fan base is considered tame by many other college athletic social media boards.

Reactions: DACats86
@ me, tho
No not at anybody specific I respect blue decade, he did call us an SEC big boy wich I respectfully disagree with. He wasn't the only one. We are topps in Basketball, in football we're bottom 4. It is what it is.

No not at anybody specific I respect blue decade, he did call us an SEC big boy wich I respectfully disagree with. He wasn't the only one. We are topps in Basketball, in football we're bottom 4. It is what it is.
Trending up one step at a time......

Nobody is saying we're a big boy program yet. You're trying to twist what people are saying to your narrative. Given that there are 12 games in the regular season, I thought it fitting to compare that record and not the post-season or lack thereof. Seven wins in the regular season is more than two. Five more, to be exact.

Stoops brings back a majority of the past season's players and got rid of Eliot. These are positive marks. UK has been a door mat for the longest time. Are you really going to get your panties in a wad if we're subject to a couple years of mediocrity? Recruiting isn't slowing down and the facilities will still be excellent in the next few years in case someone else comes in after a firing.

We're supporting and investing in the best chance at prolonged success we've had in years. Take a chill pill and walk it off, Man.
I'm not excited, thanks for the prescription.
I love UK athletics period. UK football is a strange beast, we have no history, no tradition, we just lifted ourselves up from being the SEC door mat for at least one season but many posters on here carry over their basketball entitlement(wich is deserved) over to the football team( wich is not).

Bottom line our record is 7-6. If we had won that game, you couldn't pay people to say we wernt 8-5. We get what we earn. I'm not twisting nobody's words. I'm a realist on this board, Alot of wishful thinking and puffed up chests over here, like I said, we go 7-6 and that ego, entitlement comes out. It's okay to act this way on our board, it's funny but this is OUR board, just don't be angry on the national board, or when around other SEC Fans if you get laughed out of the room. Only UK thinks UK is good in football. When we start earning respect, eventually that will change.

I think you and some others are missing a subtle point here. At least, this is my guess as to how MB might be thinking.

I this era of big dollars, a formal contractual buy-out is of limited value. I mean, yes, you'll get the money if the coach leaves, but as far as a means of preventing him from being poached, it doesn't do much. If he blows up and becomes a hot commodity, the kind of places he'd leave for could easily afford whatever is in the contract. The best way to get the guy to not leave is to make it so he doesn't want to leave, and the best way to do that is to do things to make him feel like the AD has his back, and that this is the kind of place that supports him. You do that by not tying him up with a buyout, by giving him an extension in year x when basic economics might say wait until 2 or 3 years later. By doing whatever you can to say "you're the guy, we have faith in you", even before it's smart or obvious.

Our AD budget is, what, $125 million now? Buyout money (in the case of the coach doing great and leaving) is secondary. Payout money (in the case of the coach bombing and we have to fire him) is secondary. We can afford all that. I'm not advocating being careless with the budget. I'm saying you do things which may seem to not make sense economically just to develop the relationship between the coach and the school so that, if he has a chance to leave, maybe it's not easy for him. It's all about relationships, as Coach K might say. heh.
A voice of reason is always a breath of fresh air on a thread of mixed opinions in the vortex of negativity.

Put me on the record as disagreeing with this.

I want Stoops to succeed as badly as anyone, but this is ridiculous. A downturn leaves us with a coach that we can't afford to get rid of.

Agreed...Stoops turned things around this past year. But, I'm still not completely sold on him. Mitch should have waited until the end of this season. If it's special, sign him up...if he wins 4 games then don't.

Reactions: zannmann
I like Stoops and have faith in not falling apart the next few years, but this might be a lil early for this. With as much talent Stoops is bringing in every class, I understand wanting him to know he is wanted here. The dude is recruiting at a level we have never seen at Kentucky and truth be told, that might just be worth the money we're paying the man in itself. The dude is being paid big time money and now we can all agree we want to see big time coaching on the football field. I want some of those long dreaded streaks ended in the next couple of years. The salary is there, now Stoops needs to show us the results on the football field with wins and not as many losses.

I like Stoops and have faith in not falling apart the next few years, but this might be a lil early for this. With as much talent Stoops is bringing in every class, I understand wanting him to know he is wanted here. The dude is recruiting at a level we have never seen at Kentucky and truth be told, that might just be worth the money we're paying the man in itself. The dude is being paid big time money and now we can all agree we want to see big time coaching on the football field. I want some of those long dreaded streaks ended in the next couple of years. The salary is there, now Stoops needs to show us the results on the football field with wins and not as many losses.
Reasonable comments from an emotional and straight forward approach. The extension is not about whether CMS wins or loses, it is about showing recruits the staff is committed over multiple years. There is also a high probability this head coach and staff wins more than they lose in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT