ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops Not Sure Which QB Will Start VS Georgia

Gonna be real tough to get to 5-5 this season. May as well get Gatewood more reps for next year.

Gran is gonzo either after this year or next if the offense doesn't significantly improve. I think Stoops knows now that in order to take the next step with the program, you have to be able to put more points on the board. He probably gives Gran one more year to see if the offense gets any better under a different Quarterback and receivers, but it wouldn't shock me if he makes a change this year. Hinshaw and the receivers coach are on the hot seat as well.

Reactions: ukalum1988
In this game not sure it really matters who starts. In recent years we've seen UGA's 4*-5* guys really thump UK's 3* guys. I'd expect more of the same.

Time to give Gatewood a start. It may seem odd, but a primary reason is I believe Terry Wilson isn't the same runner he was two years ago. He carried 5 times for 9 yards, and those plays really hurt our ability to keep the chains moving. Maybe some of it is bad reads, but he's also not as explosive turning the corner.

Time to give Gatewood a start. It may seem odd, but a primary reason is I believe Terry Wilson isn't the same runner he was two years ago. He carried 5 times for 9 yards, and those plays really hurt our ability to keep the chains moving. Maybe some of it is bad reads, but he's also not as explosive turning the corner.
Without a doubt he's lost a step from the injury...so instead of very high level athlete, below average accuracy and below average IQ for a QB...you have a slightly better than average athlete, below average accuracy and below average IQ for a QB...not a good recipe.

I got roasted on here last week for taking up for Gatewood over Terry

He will keep marching Wilson out there - Stoops is scared of that Mamma
Wilson does not do one thing well - not one

He did say that BigBlueMan. But he will never give Allen the chance. It’s crazy as basically this is a throw away year and you can get your young players a lot of reps and Stoops is worried about playing Wilson and Rose and not hurting their feelings. He could plan for the future and he is derailing his own plans. Mitch needs to hire brother Bob and let Mark help with the defense.

Reactions: Cefiro
So frustrating- we obviously need Crod carrying 75% of carries - I would go with Gatewood or Allen for reps - TW is slow in every aspect from running (no zig zag in his game)to reads to getting the ball out of his hands
Stoops loves to not do what the fans clamor for. He relishes it

We need to go with the QB that is most accurate. Our WR’s do not get separation so every throw has to be in a very small window. UK doesn’t have to throw more but they HAVE to be effective when they do throw to keep the defenses on their toes.

This is true, but theres a catch (pun intended). The reason Wilson has been the man so far is because those receivers suck. Having Wilson allows scrambling yards. Whereas Gatewood is not as fast. Not even close. But I agree, theres 5 games left. This is a throwaway season anyways. It's time to prepare for the future. Let Gatewood just get experience from here on out so he can run the offense next year.

The pass offense thus far has been
Is Ali open? No
Is Upshaw open? No
Run for yards.

May as well have Gatewood do the same. Just gotta realize we lose that big play running ability. And that the receivers aren't magically gonna start getting open for Gatewood either. May as well throw Drennen out there while we're at it. And where is Demontae Crumes??

How can our wide receivers be so bad? No one can get seperation except for Alit and when they do, they can't catch.

Reactions: THE_OAK
Gran is gonzo either after this year or next if the offense doesn't significantly improve. I think Stoops knows now that in order to take the next step with the program, you have to be able to put more points on the board. He probably gives Gran one more year to see if the offense gets any better under a different Quarterback and receivers, but it wouldn't shock me if he makes a change this year. Hinshaw and the receivers coach are on the hot seat as well.

It will be funny if he fires Gran, brings in another dynamic OC, and that guy call the exact same plays that Brown, Dawson, and Gran called. Maybe then our fans will realize that it ain't the OC.

If it's the same team that played Missouri I'm not sure it matters who starts.
But it wont be....
Totally difference set of intangibles:
v. Mizzou
-Game in Missouri
-Trap game between arch rival UT and 5th ranked UGA.
-Cats had defeated Mizzou 5 straight times.
-Cats coming off emotional draining win at Knoxville and may have been looking ahead.

V UGA
-Game in Kentucky
-UGA has defeated UK 10 straight times
-Stoops is the StreakBuster
-Cats will be pizzed and refocused and hopefully have Coach Schlarman on the sidelines.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Gran is the perfect oc for us. He is great coaching the run and incredible at molding an offensive based on personnel

I hope your joking, when you say the Lynn Bowden offense.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
I'm sure that he's not and that's exactly what we should do. We should do that even with Terry. Obviously you won't have the same run/pass percent as you had with Bowden but you can still run the same packages. And we do in fact still have them in the playbook. We've just stopped using them for some reason. Mixing up the RPOs with slants, and triple option and counters with the normal package has been effective. Even with Terry runningthem. The problem is the past 3 weeks we've basically stripped all those out of the system and have gone back to the 2016 playbook where inside zone is 90% of the plays we run.

We are oddly more one dimensional with an actual QB playing QB than we were with a WR playing QB.

I don’t think it’s going to matter who the QB is other than playing Gatewood to get him game reps.

It’s development, coaching and scheme. And that falls directly on the coaching staff.

I'm sure that he's not and that's exactly what we should do. We should do that even with Terry. Obviously you won't have the same run/pass percent as you had with Bowden but you can still run the same packages. And we do in fact still have them in the playbook. We've just stopped using them for some reason. Mixing up the RPOs with slants, and triple option and counters with the normal package has been effective. Even with Terry runningthem. The problem is the past 3 weeks we've basically stripped all those out of the system and have gone back to the 2016 playbook where inside zone is 90% of the plays we run.

We are oddly more one dimensional with an actual QB playing QB than we were with a WR playing QB.

You must be kidding when you say you want to run Gatewood just like we run Lynn. Gatewood is a good passer, and can stretch the field, if the OL can give him 3 seconds. If you think TW is a Lynn Bowden, then I don't know what your smoking. If TW is the QB, I could see running the option, with him and Rose. There is no way I would be using Gatewood as a running QB. I think Gatewood is a SEC type QB, but if we try running him, then forget getting any more SEC type QB's. Every QB knows if he is going to get to the pros, he must be able to be in a system that throws the ball. Anyone can hand off.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: wildcatdonf
This is true, but theres a catch (pun intended). The reason Wilson has been the man so far is because those receivers suck. Having Wilson allows scrambling yards. Whereas Gatewood is not as fast. Not even close. But I agree, theres 5 games left. This is a throwaway season anyways. It's time to prepare for the future. Let Gatewood just get experience from here on out so he can run the offense next year.

The pass offense thus far has been
Is Ali open? No
Is Upshaw open? No
Run for yards.

May as well have Gatewood do the same. Just gotta realize we lose that big play running ability. And that the receivers aren't magically gonna start getting open for Gatewood either. May as well throw Drennen out there while we're at it. And where is Demontae Crumes??

How can our wide receivers be so bad? No one can get seperation except for Alit and when they do, they can't catch.

This is the issue to me. TW isn’t really a running QB. He is more of a busted play scrambler. I would hope that our only hope on offense is a busted play scramble. Gatewood is a true dual threat QB. Allen is a true pocket passer. This staff needs to figure out which direction they want to go with the offense. Do they want to rpo or do they want to be more pro style. Then and only then do they need to pick a QB. I really think that is the major problem we are seeing on the offensive side of the ball. I just don’t think the coaching staff has a clue of what they truly want to do style wise.

This is the issue to me. TW isn’t really a running QB. He is more of a busted play scrambler. I would hope that our only hope on offense is a busted play scramble. Gatewood is a true dual threat QB. Allen is a true pocket passer. This staff needs to figure out which direction they want to go with the offense. Do they want to rpo or do they want to be more pro style. Then and only then do they need to pick a QB. I really think that is the major problem we are seeing on the offensive side of the ball. I just don’t think the coaching staff has a clue of what they truly want to do style wise.
Good point...you almost need to recruit to what you're trying to establish as a program. A RPO vs. pocket passer impacts the role or RB, OL and WR as well. We need to recruit to a certain type of offense we want to run and commit to it

Joker's offense? Please. Every year we clamored for the second string guy or wondered why the first-year starter, a RS soph, didn't have command of the offense. His offense was ridiculously complex and the only time we had decent QB play was with a SR QB with 3+ years in the system. And every year we'd get smoked by a true FR (or a second teamer) running another team's offense seemingly without a hitch while we'd have to hear Joker explaining why no other QB on the roster was capable of running his offense.

I think JG is the answer but the offense and playcalling would need to be modified to fit his skill set. Obviously, a bigger arm and more of a 'classic' QB than TW so call lots of intermediate throws that you know he can make. Lose the RPO for the most part as JG is not as fast as TW. Move the pocket on rollouts and let JG's arm show (or he can tuck and run when nothing is there). We don't know but I have to think JG will make better decisions and in less time than TW has shown. He just seems like a natural QB while TW looks like the best athlete on his team growing up who always played QB as a consequence. JG's throwing motion looks like a QB while TW's too often looks like a baseball player winding up (he throws a lot of late balls, imo, maybe that's why). We still don't know what we have with JG but I think we've seen enough of TW that we know the limitations. He's never going to be a consistent passer or decision maker. He has flashes of brilliance but his steady state is below average in the SEC. Perhaps he doesn't throw a catchable ball and that's why the WRs drop so many (of course, JG has had a few drops, too). We can't win many games throwing for 100 yards a game and that's been more the rule than the exception with TW.

I’d just like to point out that if more than 2 WRs run routes
It will be funny if he fires Gran, brings in another dynamic OC, and that guy call the exact same plays that Brown, Dawson, and Gran called. Maybe then our fans will realize that it ain't the OC.
this, gran has had success everywhere he has been. I refused to believe he has forgotten how to be a good coordinator when he arrived in Lexington. The next guy will be the same until the game plan changes overall.

No, they won't. Besides that, Stoops won't fire him, he's doing exactly what Stoops wants him to do. If Stoops job isn't in jeopardy then neither is Gran's. And if he does fire him, then he's making Gran a scapegoat and we'll see more terrible passing offenses with the next OC. The only way this changes is if Stoops somehow has a revelation and realizes that having a good passing offense is necessary to climb the ladder in today's game.

We’ve had 3 receivers coaches in 4 years . Quite frankly , I don’t think Stoops puts much importance on that job . If you’re going to have the lack of talent we have at receiver , you better have somebody that can coach em up.imo

It's not like Gran can't coach a high powered offense. His offense put up some pretty big numbers when he was at Cincy. He just needs to be turned loose. The problem is that we just don't have the personnel for that. We don't have any receivers capable of getting separation. I don't think Wilson's accuracy is a big issue, he's made some really good throws at times, but we just don't have anyone that can run to the ball or catch something in stride with separation. If Beau Allen is the longer term future after Gatewood, then they need to pull out all the stops to recruit some top shelf receivers, even if we have to go the juco or grad transfer route while Gatewood is getting his couple of years in as the starter.

At this point, we are halfway through a shortened goofy season that almost feels like it doesn't count. We haven't played to the expectations, so lets start working for the future. get Gatewood some meaningful play, Start him against UGA, see what he can do when it's his game from the start. give him the same leash you give Terry WIlson. Hopefully he will surprise us.

Run The Damn Ball. Forget all this passing ANALysis.
Just avg more than 3.5 ypc 3 times, 1st down and the clock grows short for the other team to respond. Go with your Strength.
We have the BB Wall, don't we?
This urge to move to passing off is costing us game wins.
We won running when no one said we could.
RUN THE BALL.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Run The Damn Ball. Forget all this passing ANALysis.
Just avg more than 3.5 ypc 3 times, 1st down and the clock grows short for the other team to respond. Go with your Strength.
We have the BB Wall, don't we?
This urge to move to passing off is costing us game wins.
We won running when no one said we could.
RUN THE BALL.
If we had Lynn Bowden I might agree with you. Our problem is we have zero explosive playmakers on offense. No Snell, No Bowden, hell even no Jeff Badet. Terry is not the same guy we had in 2018.

If we had Lynn Bowden I might agree with you. Our problem is we have zero explosive playmakers on offense. No Snell, No Bowden, hell even no Jeff Badet. Terry is not the same guy we had in 2018.
Have we given enough running opps for anyone? [I really don't know]
Passing to receivers that can't catch the ball is a lost op for a runner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT