ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops held Scalzo's scholarship? Is that unusual?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Normally, once a player enters the transfer portal, my impression is that the bridge is burned and the player moves on. But I read on another site that Stoops held onto the scholarship for NS and, when he decided to come back, no hard feelings, no problem to keep his scholarship.

That seems unusual to me. Did perhaps think, with NS's injuries, he'd have a hard time transferring? Or, did he think maybe Scalzo wasn't that convinced that he should transfer? Did Coen talk to him and convince him there would be an opportunity for him to play under this system, which might fit his talents very well?

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy Nik returned and hope he gets every opportunity to shine. It just seems like it's an unusual situation and I wonder if there was something else going on to encourage NS to enter the portal in the first place or if he evaluated his chances of significant PT at a brand new school vs. sticking around and seeing how the new offense shakes out.

Reactions: Blueaz
Are traditional scholarship limitations even in effect right now due to COVID? I wouldn't think so. I don't think that it would open up a scholarship for somebody else if the additional granted year is causing overlap with a bunch of other returning players too.

I have never assumed that a bridge was burned with anyone in that position........but I do assume that it's possible.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Normally, once a player enters the transfer portal, my impression is that the bridge is burned and the player moves on. But I read on another site that Stoops held onto the scholarship for NS and, when he decided to come back, no hard feelings, no problem to keep his scholarship.

That seems unusual to me. Did perhaps think, with NS's injuries, he'd have a hard time transferring? Or, did he think maybe Scalzo wasn't that convinced that he should transfer? Did Coen talk to him and convince him there would be an opportunity for him to play under this system, which might fit his talents very well?

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy Nik returned and hope he gets every opportunity to shine. It just seems like it's an unusual situation and I wonder if there was something else going on to encourage NS to enter the portal in the first place or if he evaluated his chances of significant PT at a brand new school vs. sticking around and seeing how the new offense shakes out.
Nic should have waited and at least gotten through Spring practice to see where he might fall on the depth chart under a new OC. This OC is looking at the entire group with a fresh set of eyes. I’m hoping at least, that Stoops has given Coen the right to evaluate and make his own determinations as to who best fits the system.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I don't know what that means unless all our others are spoken for. Are they? If not, OK, we took him back. But if there's 5 5*'s that want to commit & 4 schollies left, would Stoops have kept on for him & turned down the 5*? I'm guessing not.

Are traditional scholarship limitations even in effect right now due to COVID? I wouldn't think so. I don't think that it would open up a scholarship for somebody else if the additional granted year is causing overlap with a bunch of other returning players too.
The 85 man limit has been waived for next year. The other limits only apply to incoming new players.

Dont think its that surprising or unsual for a couple of reasons. One Nick always seemed like a good teamate who was trying his best to work through tough injuries so I'm sure Stoops had great relationship with him already.

Second Nick is a QB and its sort of understood by everyone including coaches that QBs are different in their planning for playing time. Once they are a year or two and and still have guys in front of them its completely understandable they may want to look elsewhere for playing time.

That's what I thought. So in the case of Scalzo, it's not like pulling his scholarship after entering the portal would free up a ride for someone else. It was waiting for him without consequence no matter what.
I'd forgotten about the waiving of the 85 man limit. In this case, didn't cost the team anything to leave his scholarship open. Makes more sense now.

Glad to have him back. More competition means more likely a good candidate rises to the top.

If he was still the best QB option interested in UK, why not take him back? Probably Nic didn’t burn any bridges on his way out either.

Glad to have him back. More competition means more likely a good candidate rises to the top.

I know little about Scalzo, or his talents and health, but I know he considers it unlikely that he’ll start next year.

One thought I’ve had regarding retention of QB’s is that staffs ought to look for ways to get them on the field occassionally, even if at a different position.

A guy like Scalzo is pretty athletic, and could do some slot receiving, WC quarterbacking, etc.

Texas A & M has had nearly a Century of success with the 12th Man, since an unheralded student leap from the stands to help defeat Centre College on January 1st, 1922.

LSU won a national title, in part, due to the “Chinese Bandits.”

Why not allow a third string QB to lead your “Tiger Team” . . . younger and less used athletes that could throw a major change of pace at an opponent, running a different offense? Florida essentially did this with Tim Tebow his true frosh year, running the WC, with a nasty jump pass mixed in.

Take younger players, some subs, your third-string QB, and let them practice the triple option for three weeks. Then let ‘em run it for a series or two when the regular offense isn’t hitting on all cylinders.

Then in a mid-season break, let ‘em practice another exotic offense, and take someone else by surprise.

It might not work. But it might be fun, and a way to keep some third-stringers engaged.

I know little about Scalzo, or his talents and health, but I know he considers it unlikely that he’ll start next year.

One thought I’ve had regarding retention of QB’s is that staffs ought to look for ways to get them on the field occassionally, even if at a different position.

A guy like Scalzo is pretty athletic, and could do some slot receiving, WC quarterbacking, etc.

Texas A & M has had nearly a Century of success with the 12th Man, since an unheralded student leap from the stands to help defeat Centre College on January 1st, 1922.

LSU won a national title, in part, due to the “Chinese Bandits.”

Why not allow a third string QB to lead your “Tiger Team” . . . younger and less used athletes that could throw a major change of pace at an opponent, running a different offense? Florida essentially did this with Tim Tebow his true frosh year, running the WC, with a nasty jump pass mixed in.

Take younger players, some subs, your third-string QB, and let them practice the triple option for three weeks. Then let ‘em run it for a series or two when the regular offense isn’t hitting on all cylinders.

Then in a mid-season break, let ‘em practice another exotic offense, and take someone else by surprise.

It might not work. But it might be fun, and a way to keep some third-stringers engaged.

MLB

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT