ADVERTISEMENT

Stoops’ Comments about the Future of UK’s Offense

Can the new guy Jagodsinski(sp?) take it over and let Coach Gran handle the RBs and Sp Teams?

Looks like he has the experience.

Sort of cryptic comments by Stoops....I think we'll know within a week after USC game the direction of the offense (i.e. if we are keeping Gran/Hinshaw...or what role Jagodsinksi will play).

But if all that happens is Jag is the new OL coach with a title of "passing game coach", etc...then that would tell me all I need to know and it will be same bad offense going forward. And Stoops seat will start to get hot and the downward spiral of program will start to occur.

Reactions: ukgrad2004
Jag's got a nice resume and I know he could do a great job with the O-line but I was hoping that they might shuffle the position coaches around a bit and wind up brining in a passing game coordinator that also coached a position. That would give the offense new and fresh thought, and still keep the numbers where they need to be.

Jag's got a nice resume and I know he could do a great job with the O-line but I was hoping that they might shuffle the position coaches around a bit and wind up brining in a passing game coordinator that also coached a position. That would give the offense new and fresh thought, and still keep the numbers where they need to be.
JJ OL coach/passing game coordinator is the direction I think they go. Gran stays RB coach/running game coordinator. JJ shot caller, Hinshaw/Bouknight out, new QB and WR coaches.

Why Bouknight out? If anything the lack of continuity in that room has contributed to the issues. Do we know yet wether Bouknight is a problem.
Yeah...unless they JJ has a great WR coach he needs...not fair to can another WR coach. What is that three guys fired in 3 years in a row now?

Why Bouknight out? If anything the lack of continuity in that room has contributed to the issues. Do we know yet wether Bouknight is a problem.

I don't know enough about Bouknight to say if he's a good coach or not. What I do know is, our receivers are an incredibly soft group and that's generally a reflection on the coach.

Reactions: mrschwump
Just basing that on the lack of production from WRs. Maybe unfair but Bouknight was a very late addition to Stoops staff, just got the feeling Stoops grabbed the first guy to come along. Think JJ probably has someone else in mind. Purely guesswork on my part.

Reactions: sieken
I don't know enough about Bouknight to say if he's a good coach or not. What I do know is, our receivers are an incredibly soft group and that's generally a reflection on the coach.
No argument really except schemes may have something to do with their lack of production. Not sure how much time he really got to work with them this offseason with the on again, off again practice. I suppose it'll all get worked out here soon.

I think the dye is cast, staff is probably aware of who is to be set adrift.

I think so too. I don't recall mention of hinshaw last week. I know he didn't make the trip two weeks ago. I'd say he's done right after the south Carolina game. Stoops is dying to say it now, so I bet he will announce it in the sc post game show.

Only question left will be boughknight and gran. I think gran stays but wouldn't be shocked to see him leave with hinshaw

I think so too. I don't recall mention of hinshaw last week. I know he didn't make the trip two weeks ago. I'd say he's done right after the south Carolina game. Stoops is dying to say it now, so I bet he will announce it in the sc post game show.

Only question left will be boughknight and gran. I think gran stays but wouldn't be shocked to see him leave with hinshaw
Hinshaw's being absent was probably Covid related.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Hinshaw is at the very top of the list as the most likely Asst. Coach to get canned, IMHO.

Our QB development has been AWFUL since his arrival outside of Stephen Johnson. Every High School QB we have recruited up to this point has never developed into a starter. Allen is the only one to even look remotely ready to eventually contribute.

Not at all!! Stoops will handcuff the next one just like he has Brown, Dawson, and Gran.
I've seen this posted a lot about Brown. I've watched a couple of his games at Troy and WVU, he didn't run an air raid style when I watched them. He ran stuff more similar to UK than Washington State, more balanced than we were this year, but, it was balanced offense, good defense. Neal didn't have a lot to work with early on. Dawson and Stoops were not similar in approach. The only play that sticks out from Dawson, an incomplete bomb on third and 1 or 2 in our half of the field. Not really a smart play, I think he had more gamble than Stoops wanted and really it kind of flies in the face that Stoops was calling the plays.

Reactions: mrschwump
It's pretty clear 1 of 2 things has to happen:

1. Stoops and company have to go. Complete clean house and try to go after somebody like Neal Brown, Tom Herman (if available), Luke Fickell. It would be tough to get any of those 3 but to take the next step for this football program we would need to IMO.

2. Gran needs to go and Stoops has to allow his next coordinator to be more aggressive on offense. Stoops will never have an offensive minded team but he has to open up this offense or we'll continue to see bad offenses I don't care how good our players are. If your scared to turn the ball over with 2+ min left at the end of a half then your never going to compete in the East. I've never watched a good or great team play that conservative.

Tom Herman???? In what universe is he going to leave UT for UK? Also, if he can't win consistently with all the advantages UT has, what makes you think he'd win here? And, if he got fired at TX, he's not looking to come to UK where he'll struggle to get to 8 wins a year and where we just fired a coach that went 10-3 just two years ago and have won bowl games the past 2 years. We won't replace Stoops with a 'hot name' coach who's already been a P5 HC, imo. We'll have to replace him with the coordinator du jour and hope he turns out to be HC material.

They're anything but "soft."

They're not getting enough reps in the passing game. Doesn't mean they're soft. They'll knock your damn head off, so they're not soft. They need better training with their QBs than the HC or OC is putting in front of them.

1. Stoops and company have to go. Complete clean house and try to go after somebody like Neal Brown, Tom Herman (if available), Luke Fickell. It would be tough to get any of those 3 but to take the next step for this football program we would need to IMO.

2. Gran needs to go and Stoops has to allow his next coordinator to be more aggressive on offense. Stoops will never have an offensive minded team but he has to open up this offense or we'll continue to see bad offenses I don't care how good our players are. If your scared to turn the ball over with 2+ min left at the end of a half then your never going to compete in the East. I've never watched a good or great team play that conservative.

That's 1. just fkn stupid and 2. contradictory, and ignorant, but at least you ended with something very true.

1. If it's gonna be tough to get someone, it's stupid to clean house. You'd essentially be starting from scratch. 3 years to retool (at best) with "their" recruits, with maybe one good year in those 3 because you have some good players that might stick around.

2. If Stoops needs to let his OC be aggressive, there's no need to let Gran go. He should get his hands out of the O cookie jar and focus on getting his D to the depth he needs for the SEC. He can do that WITH Gran here, but Stoops needs to be disciplined enough to keep his hands OFF the playcalling and unrestrict the playbook.

You're dead on about this one thing. If you don't trust your players to run your offense and your 2 minute offense, wtf are they doing on the 2 deep? Let up onnthe gas in the SEC and you're rolling backwards fast without brakes

Last edited:
It's clear that Stoops does have a big say in the offense we run. He said so. He has been making them run plays his defenses (historically) have had a hard time defending against. He has had a say and it's time to let the OC be the OC.

We can run some of these other plays- Wildcat, bubble screens, rpo, etc., but we need to have the rest in our arsenal also.

Can't be confused as to where we are, though. We don't have the same team Saban is coaching. We don't have 4-5 star depth at every position, but the important part of football is WE DON'T HAVE TO if we EXECUTE correctly. We can still score points if we have a lot of plays to draw from when we need them.

What has been concerning to me is that they've said each year that they keep having to pare back the offense and reduce the playbook. 3 or 4 put if the last 5 years, they've said this during the season. That's nuts! They need to put this on the players' shoulders and captains need to help the younger players learn it in and outside of practice.

No excuse for not knowing all of the plays by the time your freshman season is over.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Tom Herman???? In what universe is he going to leave UT for UK? Also, if he can't win consistently with all the advantages UT has, what makes you think he'd win here? And, if he got fired at TX, he's not looking to come to UK where he'll struggle to get to 8 wins a year and where we just fired a coach that went 10-3 just two years ago and have won bowl games the past 2 years. We won't replace Stoops with a 'hot name' coach who's already been a P5 HC, imo. We'll have to replace him with the coordinator du jour and hope he turns out to be HC material.
Ok so let me get this straight. Because Herman struggled (30-18) at Texas he couldn't be a good coach at UK. Mack Brown seems to be doing fine at UNC and his last 4 years at Texas were bad. Are you saying you wouldn't take Herman over a coordinator?

This is way over reactionary. Stoops is coming off 4 straight bowls. A 10 win season was just a couple years ago. Under no circumstance is his job on the line. The philosophy on offense however is another story because the offense was bad even during that 10 win season. In fact the 2nd half of last year with a WR playing QB is the only time in Stoops' tenure that you can say our offense was good enough to win us games. The offense needs to get better and that might or might not mean replacing Gran. But something needs to be changed.

That's 1. just fkn stupid and 2. contradictory, and ignorant, but at least you ended with something very true.

1. If it's gonna be tough to get someone, it's stupid to clean house. You'd essentially be starting from scratch. 3 years to retool (at best) with "their" recruits, with maybe one good year in those 3 because you have some good players that might stick around.

2. If Stoops needs to let his OC be aggressive, there's no need to let Gran go. He should get his hands out of the O cookie jar and focus on getting his D to the depth he needs for the SEC. He can do that WITH Gran here, but Stoops needs to be disciplined enough to keep his hands OFF the playcalling and unrestrict the playbook.

You're dead on about this one thing. If you don't trust your players to run your offense and your 2 minute offense, wtf are they doing on the 2 deep? Let up onnthe gas in the SEC and you're rolling backwards fast without brakes
I gave my opinion and the first thing you said is its fkn stupid contradictory and ignorant. You must have self esteem issues to get that mad about me stating something as small as getting rid of Stoops. Take your meds and chill out lol

If Gran is indeed let go then can Allen and Sheron hope that they get an OC who is going to go to the air a lot more than Gran did?

This is way over reactionary. Stoops is coming off 4 straight bowls. A 10 win season was just a couple years ago. Under no circumstance is his job on the line. The philosophy on offense however is another story because the offense was bad even during that 10 win season. In fact the 2nd half of last year with a WR playing QB is the only time in Stoops' tenure that you can say our offense was good enough to win us games. The offense needs to get better and that might or might not mean replacing Gran. But something needs to be changed.
Just to be clear firing stoops wouldn't be my first choice (1. & 2. wasn't an order). But the reason I think that should be an option is because I just don't see him changing his ways about our offense. I think he may have peaked at UK. I hope I'm wrong but time will tell. Next season will be huge for him.

His receivers we're just fine at Oregon, ofcourse they threw the ball and the quality of their receivers we're better than ours. Look at the upgrade of our current commits at the Recievers position, highest of any position. Evidently they must think he's a good position coach or they wouldn't have commited, that also includes Dingle.

With all the issues with Covid, Coach Schlarman's death, now with over 25 being in quarantined, injured or opting out, which has to be a major determent maybe we need to reassess some of our negatives and try to get positive for next year, this year has been a total mess. IMHO not being able to lead normal lives has given BBN fans too much time too reflect on football.

I gave my opinion and the first thing you said is its fkn stupid contradictory and ignorant. You must have self esteem issues to get that mad about me stating something as small as getting rid of Stoops. Take your meds and chill out lol

Getting rid of the entire staff is (common sense) fkn stupid. That you think trashing an entire staff is a small thing tells me you werent really serious, you shouldn't be taken that way, or you're takkng my comments personally.

If I was mad, I wouldn't be here. If I wasn't chillin no way in hell I'd be on here. What meds YOU got? Maybe we could share if it's somethin good

number 2 for sure! With you 100%

You can think whatever on the talent, qb development and play calling but the main reason we will get rid of him is to rebuild. We need to keep the wrs we have signed and ideally bring in a transfer or juco wr to help now. That’s going to a lot easier done if we bring in a new exciting OC. Also you have a lot of frustrated players your best chance at keeping them is making a change.

Reactions: THE_OAK
Can the new guy Jagodsinski(sp?) take it over and let Coach Gran handle the RBs and Sp Teams?

Looks like he has the experience.
I'm a firm believer that you never demote someone. They lose morale in the short term and in the long term, they know they'll never be up for a promotion. It's better for all parties to fire someone and let him go elsewhere. If fired, Coach Gran can leave and pick a spot where he can learn from an offensive head coach or OC. He could also find an OC job on a lower non-power 5 or FCS level, work on his system, and re-prove that he's ready for another power 5 OC job.

Ok so let me get this straight. Because Herman struggled (30-18) at Texas he couldn't be a good coach at UK. Mack Brown seems to be doing fine at UNC and his last 4 years at Texas were bad. Are you saying you wouldn't take Herman over a coordinator?
North Carolina is a solid, middle of the road ACC team.

That would translate nicely to a 5-6 win SEC team.

Should we fire Brown?

Last edited:
Stoop has no idea what to do with the offense. If he did, he would have fixed it years ago. No balance at all for years. You have to have balance, you just can't say you want it.

Reactions: UKat1
What has been concerning to me is that they've said each year that they keep having to pare back the offense and reduce the playbook. 3 or 4 put if the last 5 years, they've said this during the season. That's nuts! They need to put this on the players' shoulders and captains need to help the younger players learn it in and outside of practice.

They only said this with Terry which speaks volumes. He just doesn't have a good grasp of the offense. That's been clear since he came. His entire career was basically one read then run.

That was actually way better than this year. This year he just holds the ball forever and eventually gets sacked. No pocket presence. Never steps up or slides in the pocket to help his OL.

It just never clicked for him. He should've been a wr or cb

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT