ADVERTISEMENT

Stock Advice Thread

I've really wanted to get started with options.

Any tips or insight on how you began?
I read a book on the basics to start. I read it over and over just to solidify the buying or selling of calls and puts. I'm still way new to it so taking it slow.

I have a few positions that are 100 shares or over which allows you to do what's called selling covered calls. You get a premium but may have to sell your shares at a certain price.

So if your call is exercised and you've bought the shares at a lower price, you get the premium and the difference between your basis and the strike price.

So far I have not had my sold calls exercised so I've just been collecting the sold premium.

It's pretty fun and really expands your understanding of the stock market as a whole.

I haven't done spreads and more exotics yet and may never. I like owning the underlying value of the option too much. But options can be used to leverage smaller sums of money for bigger percentage gains than just owning the stock.

I'm very tentative about options........and it's born out of fear and ignorance. I'm under the impression that it moves into more gambling/betting territory.

I'm very tentative about options........and it's born out of fear and ignorance. I'm under the impression that it moves into more gambling/betting territory.
When you buy or short a stock you're essentially betting it will increase or decrease in value at some future point. Options are the same but the future point must be stated.

They probably aren't for everyone but they are not above understanding.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
MRNA and NVAX have been roller coaster rides. Expecting a more steady climb with PFE but not as quickly obviously.

OPES merger vote with BurgerFi set for December 15. It's at $14 now, would expect a run to $20 or over around merger date. Good short opportunity.
Short duration or option strategy? lol

MRNA and NVAX have been roller coaster rides. Expecting a more steady climb with PFE but not as quickly obviously.

OPES merger vote with BurgerFi set for December 15. It's at $14 now, would expect a run to $20 or over around merger date. Good short opportunity.

Got OPES at $13.72 this morning

Reactions: legalbeagle123
Has anybody ever traded with warrants?
I've received warrants for recapitalization. First time happened in 1993 with the old Citizens First Bancorp of New Jersey (ASE: CFB). Never traded them. Ended up doubling my investment in that particular issue within 2 years when CFB was acquired by bank in Canada.

Depending on the issuer, warrants can be valuable. I've heard one can trade, but I've usually been long. Warrants are also sometimes know as rights, sort of like options.

Reactions: BigBlueTom1

Do you plan on selling or holding long? I'm planning on selling around merger date.

Sold some M yesterday after a 99% return in 7 weeks. Could have some room to run so I only sold a third.

Also started a position in ZTS. One hell of a long term chart in that one. They grow revenues at about $500 million per year.

Sold some M yesterday after a 99% return in 7 weeks. Could have some room to run so I only sold a third.

Also started a position in ZTS. One hell of a long term chart in that one. They grow revenues at about $500 million per year.

Had to look up ZTS. Nice one. I added it to my watch list. Thx.

Reactions: jameslee32
I've only been trading a few months, but I am up almost 30% on my investments.

Today I bought a stock for $42.45, however my account shows the cost basis is $45.05. I looked at the asking price is and it was real close to what I bought it at.

I've never had that happen before. Can anyone explain that?

Today I bought a stock for $42.45, however my account shows the cost basis is $45.05. I looked at the asking price is and it was real close to what I bought it at.

Did you buy 1 share or several? Did you put a limit order in or did you do a market order?

Air BNB is launching IPO today. Anyone buying?

Sorry, launching tomorrow....

Last edited:

That has happened to me when I bought MARKET. I assume the market price changed faster than my screen view or maybe I didn't refresh my screen view. I now always buy LIMIT so that I control my purchase price. Same goes for selling.

Last edited:
Several shares with a market order.

When you buy something, look next to the stock price. Usually there's a little section that says "Bid or ask." It's usually just a few cents off the stock price.

-When I'm buying, I'll use a limit order.....and price my buy at or a few cents below the "bid" price.
-When I sell, I'll use a limit order and price my sell at or a few cents above the "ask" price.

This works in the majority of cases.....provided that you aren't asking for too much of a bargain. It can become an issue when you have extremely fast moving and volatile stocks though. Sometimes the price jumps around so quickly that it's very hard to nail down a limit order price. In such cases (if you absolutely must have a certain stock) just pull a market order and hope you get it at a good price.

Question. I placed an after hours order for 150 shares of RIDE at $19.20.
I quickly received a partial fill of 80 shares.

I monitored the price and activity on my screen and the BID price went up for the next 20 minutes or so. So my partial fill remained open.

THEN the BID price dropped back to $19.20 and shares appeared to sell at that price. Yet the rest of my order never filled.

My question. Since I had a partial fill at $19.20 shouldn't I have been at the front of the line when the BID price dropped back to $19.20?

Question. I placed an after hours order for 150 shares of RIDE at $19.20.
I quickly received a partial fill of 80 shares.

I monitored the price and activity on my screen and the BID price went up for the next 20 minutes or so. So my partial fill remained open.

THEN the BID price dropped back to $19.20 and shares appeared to sell at that price. Yet the rest of my order never filled.

My question. Since I had a partial fill at $19.20 shouldn't I have been at the front of the line when the BID price dropped back to $19.20?
A question for your broker.

Reactions: Lamar Card
Several shares with a market order.
Just a reminder Chuck.
If you want orders executed at your prices, use limit orders only. If you have one that just won't execute, you always have the option to use Good Till Cancelled (GTC) limit orders or simply raise the price of your order. GTC limit orders can last as long as 90 days or more or until the trade is executed.

Last couple of days have seen some red, but been having a lot of fun with the SPAC world.

To name a few:
  • PIC, merger with XL Fleet on Dec. 21st, bought at 12, expecting 25
  • SBE, merger to be with ChargePoint, bought it late at 15. but has been above 40 now
  • QS has been a beast, didn't expect to hit 80 now in the 70's
  • THCB, another battery play, merger to be with Microvast, bought at 11.9, could it be a beast like SBE and QS
  • BFT, merger to be with Paysafe, bought at 12, going to be a beast
  • GIK, merger to be with Lightning Motors, bought at 12, should see 20+
  • NGA, merger to be with Lion Electric, should see 20-25+
  • WKHS, survived the delay in the USPS contract, still holding long for big reward in 1st Q 2021
  • RIDE, the gap in the chart in the 18 range hopefully filled today, still holding long for big reward in 2021

Last edited:
TESLA - Sell or hold?

I'm holding.......and I'm holding long term. In fact, if there is some significant pull back due to the money raise, I very well may buy more. I very well may take a hit in the short term, but I'm extremely confident in the long term.

Although it was announced that Tesla will be added to the SP500 wks ago, fund managers can't buy it until the 21st. This is probably the reason why Tesla chose to raise money right now because the stock might take a hit but then get propped up by all the funds being forced to buy them.

Ditto Blue R22. I am holding for both the short term and long term. When/if it dips under my buy price or gets even $50 close to it I will as you say...buy, buy, buy.

TESLA is not going away and this influx of increased capital will further solidify their EV expansion and spark their other enterprises to further growth and likely even more products of the green nature will manifest. Viva la TESLA!

If you are not on board you will be missing out on some extremely insane profits. Time will tell but the tea leaves are very, very green on Musk and his ventures.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Last couple of days have seen some red, but been having a lot of fun with the SPAC world.

To name a few:
  • WKHS, survived the delay in the USPS contract, still holding long for big reward in 1st Q 2021
  • RIDE, the gap in the chart in the 18 range hopefully filled today, still holding long for big reward in 2021
RIDE broke strong out of the gate this morning at 12%. Then moonwalked back to 8%.

A couple of very large quantities purchased at the eod per posters on Stock Twits.

Sold a little IIPR today after a 50% move in about 6-weeks. Getting close to selling some DIS and WY again as well. Hopefully before the holidays.

I've also got a few GTC buy orders waiting for a market pullback as things could get a little rocky into years end.

LORDSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – Lordstown Motors Corp. CEO Steve Burns and Camping World CEO Marcus Lemonis will make a special announcement on Tuesday.

Details of the announcement will be unveiled at a press conference on Tuesday afternoon, at 4 p.m.

It’s taking place at Lordstown Motors’ Administration Building.

Pre announcement argument was whether the announcement would be about CW servicing RIDE vehicles or would they collaborate on building an E RV. The answer is both. Additionally CW sale/service sites will become recharging stations for all EVs. CW sites are located near exits to major highways. RIDE up 9%. CW up 12%. Today.

ADVERTISEMENT