ADVERTISEMENT

Stewart Mandel: If you want to be more outraged

Maybe but why protest the flag and your country? What is wise sage answer to that?
Although furthering the discussion on "why" has nothing to do with kev69's post, I'll bite.

I can't relate to their reasoning for protesting during the anthem, but I can at least try and put myself in their shoes. I believe it's to make a point that they apparently feel can't be made in another way through their fame. What else I can say is I'm damned proud to live in a country that lets them do it (protest), regardless of whether they're non-white or white. It'd suck if we were made to do whatever someone told us to do...all the time. Probably couldn't call that "freedom".

Reactions: Aike and catman111
Maybe they think there are serious troubling issues in this country right now and they feel they will be complicit in the problem if they don't in some way speak out?

Nope, not buying it. (Just right now? Not been going on for a while?) Honoring our country has nothing to with what a certain few are doing...

HAHA, there has ALWAYS been greed since in biblical days. (An easy cop out of actually contributing...) The issue is there is no accountability. Plenty enough laws on the books already if you only enforce them. It is the selective enforcement that makes decent living people barf and get fed up with the rest of the wrong doing...

What you are using is buzz words...
I don't follow politics or any "side", so whatever words I use are mine. If they happen to be whatever the "buzz" is, then that's purely coincidence.

I would agree, however, that accountability is also at fault. Pretty clear today with the sh*tty UNC ruling.

UNC is paying them. And now the NCAA is going to make a rule against it or just say screw it and do absolutely nothing.

Although furthering the discussion on "why" has nothing to do with kev69's post, I'll bite.

I can't relate to their reasoning for protesting during the anthem, but I can at least try and put myself in their shoes. I believe it's to make a point that they apparently feel can't be made in another way through their fame. What else I can say is I'm damned proud to live in a country that lets them do it (protest), regardless of whether they're non-white or white. It'd suck if we were made to do whatever someone told us to do...all the time. Probably couldn't call that "freedom".

I will try once to educate. I am not talking down to you and I am not going to high-jack the thread as I will state this and then stop here.

Do just a little research and check out who the NFL players union contributes to... I will save you some time but please by all means check out my statement. I will make a formal apology if I am wrong. The NFL players union is a major contributor the the George Soros funded groups that want and are vigorously pushing the open boarders policies you see several politicians and American subversives push as the way forward to lasting peace.

The players could protest in a whole bunch of ways but they have chosen to dishonor the country. It is not by chance they are protesting this way. (It was planned) The shame of it all is some of the players protesting don't even realize who they are helping. Ole George and his group who actually does hate them. (the players)

Last I checked no one denounced America or burned a flag. Maybe I'm wrong.

Protesting something that you feel is wrong in country does not mean you are against the country.

It does when you kneel at the symbol of respect. Not really debatable that it is disrespectful...

Reactions: BoxterS
Nope, not buying it. (Just right now? Not been going on for a while?) Honoring our country has nothing to with what a certain few are doing...
You're seeing this in a very shallow light. You clump them into just disrespecting the country at 50,000 feet rather than looking at it deeper than just what you hear around town or on the news. Respect is a two way street. Apparently, to those protesting, the respect from the USA isn't worthy of earning their respect, so they're protesting something specific that happens to do with our American society. I'm sure they very much appreciate what our military have done for their country to allow them the freedom to make millions in the NFL. But if the only outlet they have to protest other issues they see with our country is to do what they're doing, why ignore them or take the shallow viewpoint? The best way to deal with this is to LISTEN to what they have to say rather than crapping on it as worthless merely because you simply can't relate to their plight.

I don't follow politics or any "side", so whatever words I use are mine. If they happen to be whatever the "buzz" is, then that's purely coincidence.

I would agree, however, that accountability is also at fault. Pretty clear today with the sh*tty UNC ruling.

Fair enough but the words you use and their's are the same. Be Good

I will try once to educate. I am not talking down to you and I am not going to high-jack the thread as I will state this and then stop here.

Do just a little research and check out who the NFL players union contributes to... I will save you some time but please by all means check out my statement. I will make a formal apology if I am wrong. The NFL players union is a major contributor the the George Soros funded groups that want and are vigorously pushing the open boarders policies you see several politicians and American subversives push as the way forward to lasting peace.

The players could protest in a whole bunch of ways but they have chosen to dishonor the country. It is not by chance they are protesting this way. (It was planned) The shame of it all is some of the players protesting don't even realize who they are helping. Ole George and his group who actually does hate them. (the players)
You ruined the rest of your attempt to say you weren't talking down by saying you were going to "educate" me. Clearly, you're top dog here in the world of what your opinion means vs. all others. Good luck on your political debate.

You're seeing this in a very shallow light. You clump them into just disrespecting the country at 50,000 feet rather than looking at it deeper than just what you hear around town or on the news. Respect is a two way street. Apparently, to those protesting, the respect from the USA isn't worthy of earning their respect, so they're protesting something specific that happens to do with our American society. I'm sure they very much appreciate what our military have done for their country to allow them the freedom to make millions in the NFL. But if the only outlet they have to protest other issues they see with our country is to do what they're doing, why ignore them or take the shallow viewpoint? The best way to deal with this is to LISTEN to what they have to say rather than crapping on it as worthless merely because you simply can't relate to their plight.

I am a whole lot of things but not shallow. This may be deleted and I am NOT pushing the Blaze as I do not like the man. But, the link below is how things should be done:

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/0...pro-trump-rally-what-happens-next-is-amazing/

You ruined the rest of your attempt to say you weren't talking down by saying you were going to "educate" me. Clearly, you're top dog here in the world of what your opinion means vs. all others. Good luck on your political debate.

Be good but it's not luck. The thing with education is the same thing with ignorance. You can be educated in a subject without talking down to another person. Educating anyone does not mean the teacher is smarter in general....(Words mean things. Use them in their context.) You may be able to educate me in many areas...I wouldn't take that as a slight. I guess you do.. Be Good

The genesis of the protest with Kapernick had to do primarily with police brutality and I totally agree with you that it's an issue that has been going on for 20+ years but the advent of super high quality recording smart phones has brought a ton more publicity and a literal set of images to the issue. But my opinion (and I could be wrong) is that the incident in Charlottesville really galvanized the issue for most of the non-white NFL players and expanded the protest to much higher levels of player participation. Then the president made his comments and it all reached critical mass because players who likely didn't feel strongly about the issues before protested because they felt attacked.

Reactions: catman111
Be good but it's not luck. The thing with education is the same thing with ignorance. You can be educated in a subject without talking down to another person. Educating anyone does not mean the teacher is smarter in general....(Words mean things. Use them in their context.) You may be able to educate me in many areas...I wouldn't take that as a slight. I guess you do.. Be Good
Not necessarily. I just know how this forum is and it can go south quickly, so I have learned over the past many years here to pick words and try to avoid conflict, particularly anything political.

I'm just more open-minded than most - let people live and if it doesn't affect me and my family, meh. :)

Reactions: catman111 and BBUK
The genesis of the protest with Kapernick had to do primarily with police brutality and I totally agree with you that it's an issue that has been going on for 20+ years but the advent of super high quality recording smart phones has brought a ton more publicity and a literal set of images to the issue. But my opinion (and I could be wrong) is that the incident in Charlottesville really galvanized the issue for most of the non-white NFL players and expanded the protest to much higher levels of player participation. Then the president made his comments and it all reached critical mass because players who likely didn't feel strongly about the issues before protested because they felt attacked.

Yep, he could say things more politically correct but he is not running which is a good thing. If the media was trying to be 50/50 I'd have no issue. The narrative is being made versus being reported. I have to run from that.

Reactions: BoxterS
Not necessarily. I just know how this forum is and it can go south quickly, so I have learned over the past many years here to pick words and try to avoid conflict, particularly anything political.

I'm just more open-minded than most - let people live and if it doesn't affect me and my family, meh. :)

You're good people Dude. If I made any comments to the contrary then I made a mistake doing that. The rest...;)

Reactions: TheDude73
Only through the eyes of a white dude who doesn't like anyone but white dudes.

Notice he calls NFL protesters racist "thugs", which is traditionally a white man's way of labeling most black dudes (I missed the part of the NFL protest that sounded like a black supremacist party).

"The racist thugs have ruined the NFL."

Then he mocks a black NBA player by phonetically trying to sound like another black person "LEE-bron". Without black dudes like "LEE-bron", there'd be no NBA.

"Racist, pos, losers, with Leebron Leading the charge, have ruined the NBA."

And finally, he finishes with saying he'll just watch the two whitest sports in all of the land - golf and horse racing (although one could argue that nearly all jockeys in horse racing are of Spanish, non-white origin).

"I will still watch Golf and Horseracing."

What's ruined sports and our society in general can be drawn down to two things - and neither have anything to do with race:

1. Greed
2. Politics

Another problem is that people find it easy to say someone else is complaining for nothing, or "ruining" something, when they can't relate to the kind of issues a protester is protesting about. Only until it directly affects them does it suddenly become worthy of a protest.
Mods please ban

Reactions: natchezrule
This whole thing began with Kapercrap protesting the Michael Brown incident in the great town of Ferguson. The criminally corrupt media aided & abeted small-minded individuals in following Kapercrap's lead. Obviously Michael Brown was a thug & was rightfully killed in self defense. So the whole NFL protest started as a lie & these derelicts are making utter fools out of themselves.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
You can only laugh at that clown show in Indianapolis. [roll]

CC gone, it lost it's luster... (A whole lot is changing.) I hope UK and Cal can right this crazy ship of change and put perspective back in to this nation! UK needs to win to do this. They need to win the last NCAA basketball game of the season to right this ship in a storm... DO IT, UK and Cal, DO IT!!!:uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi:

CC gone, it lost it's luster... (A whole lot is changing.) I hope UK and Cal can right this crazy ship of change and put perspective back in to this nation! UK needs to win to do this. They need to win the last NCAA basketball game of the season to right this ship in a storm... DO IT, UK and Cal, DO IT!!!:uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi:
The guys at the NCAA are hiding under their beds as the realization begins to take shape that it is up to Cal and UK to restore the honor and integrity of college basketball,somewhere soon a sports writer/journalist is going to say something very much like that.I wonder if it will make news on Sportscenter.

Reactions: BoxterS and BBUK
Only through the eyes of a white dude who doesn't like anyone but white dudes.

Notice he calls NFL protesters racist "thugs", which is traditionally a white man's way of labeling most black dudes (I missed the part of the NFL protest that sounded like a black supremacist party).

"The racist thugs have ruined the NFL."

Then he mocks a black NBA player by phonetically trying to sound like another black person "LEE-bron". Without black dudes like "LEE-bron", there'd be no NBA.

"Racist, pos, losers, with Leebron Leading the charge, have ruined the NBA."

And finally, he finishes with saying he'll just watch the two whitest sports in all of the land - golf and horse racing (although one could argue that nearly all jockeys in horse racing are of Spanish, non-white origin).

"I will still watch Golf and Horseracing."

What's ruined sports and our society in general can be drawn down to two things - and neither have anything to do with race:

1. Greed
2. Politics

Another problem is that people find it easy to say someone else is complaining for nothing, or "ruining" something, when they can't relate to the kind of issues a protester is protesting about. Only until it directly affects them does it suddenly become worthy of a protest.
Nah

Reactions: FrankUnderwood

What's up with all your racist banter? You're attacking someone for the very thing you're defending. Dang.

Your words are contradictory

Then why don't they protest by not playing in the game?

You have to stand for something or you will fall for anything . Just because you have the RIGHT to do something doesn't make it the corrrect thing to do .

Reactions: KyFaninNC

If their employers permit them to protest i’m cool with that. every place i ever worked had rules the employees had to abide by or, if i chose not to obey, which was my right, my boss could fire me, which was his right.
The first amendment gives us the right to say what we want and to protest and demonstrate, against the government, not while we are at our jobs, unless allowed to do so by our employer.
If most of us want to remain gainfully employed, or self employed, their are rules and laws we must obey or their will be consequences.
So we pretty much do have to do whatever someone tells us during our lives whether we are pro athletes, military, miners, doctors, teachers, construction workers or trash collectors.
Freedom doesn’t mean we can do whatever we want, whenever we want, else we have chaos and anarchy.
So, the nfl players can totally protest however they want, but not necessarily without penalty of some degree.
It does suck sometimes.

Reactions: Aike
Then why don't they protest by not playing in the game?
Why don't you try to understand why they're protesting in the first place, rather than disagreeing with how they're protesting. As long as it's peaceful, why does it matter to you how they protest? You have to look beyond the 60,000 foot viewpoint of "disrespecting our country, flag and the men and women who fought". All of the protesters that have been asked why they're doing it have been clear it's not a slight against the military, but a way to bring attention to what they feel is an AMERICAN problem - police issues with black American citizens.

Then again, I'd never expect a white Kentuckian to understand what it's like to be afraid to be shot for being pulled over for a California stop. This is where we are back to the issue that people won't understand another person's plight unless it at some point directly affects them. Takes a unique person, I suppose, to be able to step out of their "white glasses" and see it from a different vantage point.

This whole thing began with Kapercrap protesting the Michael Brown incident in the great town of Ferguson. The criminally corrupt media aided & abeted small-minded individuals in following Kapercrap's lead. Obviously Michael Brown was a thug & was rightfully killed in self defense. So the whole NFL protest started as a lie & these derelicts are making utter fools out of themselves.
Says the white dude that's never had to worry about being shot by a cop for no real reason. There's more to the protests than one incident in Ferguson. There are tons of incidents out there where non-white people are racially profiled by police, and then in several instances, shot and killed or beaten without having provoked use of deadly force. I can't recall seeing videos of a white dude in Kentucky getting pulled over and helplessly beaten on the side of the road, can you?

I also see a lot of "we should protest!" posts regarding the NCAA decision on UNC. Kinda proves my point - when people can relate to an issue, or it somehow directly affects them, they suddenly think protesting is worthy. But when they can't relate to an issue, protesting is idiotic and those that do it are just "fools"....sigh.

The guys at the NCAA are hiding under their beds as the realization begins to take shape that it is up to Cal and UK to restore the honor and integrity of college basketball,somewhere soon a sports writer/journalist is going to say something very much like that.I wonder if it will make news on Sportscenter.

This would be the most amazing thing to ever happen too. The program that has long been villianized and the coach that has been demonized changing and saving college basketball. Would be beyond epic.

However, it's never been more evident given Higgins last season, and UNC's ruling yesterday, that the powers that be will never let UK and Cal win another title.....EVER.

What's up with all your racist banter? You're attacking someone for the very thing you're defending. Dang.
This makes no sense. Are you saying I'm a white guy being racist against a white guy who's clearly showing racist tendencies towards black people? Do you think I'm African American? I'm lost as to your point (because you didn't elaborate, you just did a "fly-by").

I'm simply trying to show that if people step back from their mile-high patriotic view and try to understand and LISTEN to other Americans in their protest, maybe we can move beyond name calling and the absurd political division in America. Just an idea...

Reactions: ReturnOfOakboy
If their employers permit them to protest i’m cool with that. every place i ever worked had rules the employees had to abide by or, if i chose not to obey, which was my right, my boss could fire me, which was his right.
The first amendment gives us the right to say what we want and to protest and demonstrate, against the government, not while we are at our jobs, unless allowed to do so by our employer.
If most of us want to remain gainfully employed, or self employed, their are rules and laws we must obey or their will be consequences.
So we pretty much do have to do whatever someone tells us during our lives whether we are pro athletes, military, miners, doctors, teachers, construction workers or trash collectors.
Freedom doesn’t mean we can do whatever we want, whenever we want, else we have chaos and anarchy.
So, the nfl players can totally protest however they want, but not necessarily without penalty of some degree.
It does suck sometimes.

I totally agree with what you said. As per the terms of the CBA, the players are totally within their rights to kneel for the anthem without fear of retribution. All the CBA says is that they "should" stand. They are not required to.

So Jerry Jones coming out and saying that he wouldn't play anyone who knelt is a total violation of that.

So in summary, if a university is charged with a violation it should admittedly deny, delay proceedings at every opportunity, and inadvertently switch positions to create confusion only to maintain innocence.

Why don't you try to understand why they're protesting in the first place, rather than disagreeing with how they're protesting. As long as it's peaceful, why does it matter to you how they protest? You have to look beyond the 60,000 foot viewpoint of "disrespecting our country, flag and the men and women who fought". All of the protesters that have been asked why they're doing it have been clear it's not a slight against the military, but a way to bring attention to what they feel is an AMERICAN problem - police issues with black American citizens.

Then again, I'd never expect a white Kentuckian to understand what it's like to be afraid to be shot for being pulled over for a California stop. This is where we are back to the issue that people won't understand another person's plight unless it at some point directly affects them. Takes a unique person, I suppose, to be able to step out of their "white glasses" and see it from a different vantage point.

lol there it is. Whitey doesn’t understand !

There’s a better chance of a white person being shot by a white cop , or a black person killing another black person (the murder rate is sky high and very very sad )

If a “white Kentuckian “ can’t understand (a silly thing to say) then you most likely can’t understand either, despite your attempts to act “woke”

Funnily enough 90% of the people who claim to be “woke” are the exact opposite of woke.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT