ADVERTISEMENT

Stewart commits to Washington

For everyone that was saying “But Terrence Jones! Just like Julius Randle!”

When the whole internet is saying it, then they usually know.

....and disappears from the serious college basketball world. Based on the KenPom ratings, Wofford would be the best team in the Pac-12. It'll be much the same next year.

Holy f this is true! I’ll add that KP also has powerhouses Utah St, San Francisco, and Murray St ahead of the 1st P12 team. Power conference indeed.

It's not just a river in Africa. You have a great player coming in with Carey and then it drops off to decent players. You guys are going to lose a ton if you think that will be a good team next year as it sits I call BS. You almost have no targets left in the top 100. I don't think you are leading for any of the remaining guys. Your looking at a major drop off next year in talent. If Jones leaves too you all are screwed. Plus I think you all stumble again this year similar to last year or earlier.

Next year:

Alex O’Connrl-Junior
Jack White-Senior
Marquese Bolden-Senior
Javin DeLaurier-Senior

That’s a lot of experience.

Questionable to return:

Tre Jones

New Talents:

Joey Baker (RS) 5 Star
Wendell Moore 5 Star
Vernon Carey 5 Star

Potential New Talents:

Matthew Hurt 5 Star
RJ Hampton (Potential Reclass) 5 Star

That’s a great mix of experience and incoming talent. Drop off from this year? Of course. This year is unprecedented. But I think you’re incredibly mistaken if you believe Duke will not have a very good team next year.

As for this year, Duke has a very good defense. I’m not seeing an early exit. This team is better than last year. Last years team was a Grayson rim out of going to the final four, and this Duke team is getting better. Many of you said Jones wasn’t even all that good before the season. Many of you also said the role players were a non factor. All of that has been more than false.

In Cal's first year, with the 2010 NBA draft, the idea took hold that if you wanted to go to the NBA after one year of college, Calipari and UK was the best choice. Hence his "greatest night ever" proclamation. That lasted several years - I suppose until the Platooning in '15, which other coaches were able to use against us. Now, some have figured out what should have been obvious all along - you can get to the NBA from anywhere. Although, you'd think i) winning while in college and ii) being developed while in college might have some place in the analysis, but I suppose that's asking too much from kids these days and their parents.....If there's an "It" place now, it's Duke, although since Capel left I suspect that is on borrowed time. Same rule that hit Cal will also apply to K: nothing lasts forever....

Reactions: Duke Blu
In Cal's first year, with the 2010 NBA draft, the idea took hold that if you wanted to go to the NBA after one year of college, Calipari and UK was the best choice. Hence his "greatest night ever" proclamation. That lasted several years - I suppose until the Platooning in '15, which other coaches were able to use against us. Now, some have figured out what should have been obvious all along - you can get to the NBA from anywhere. Although, you'd think i) winning while in college and ii) being developed while in college might have some place in the analysis, but I suppose that's asking too much from kids these days and their parents.....If there's an "It" place now, it's Duke, although since Capel left I suspect that is on borrowed time. Same rule that hit Cal will also apply to K: nothing lasts forever....

Absolutely true and a drop off is expected BUT that does not mean you can’t field good basketball teams capable of winning it all simply because you have 2-3 less highly rated 5 stars on your team.

Reactions: Mojocat

That's not true. This whole idea that you can get to NBA from anywhere. Proof is in all the to 10 recruit .

Now the next question.. How the hell is Washington getting recruits?

Could be...?

main-qimg-b9cfd282a5b0b868cd8132afa063acdf-c

Next year:

Alex O’Connrl-Junior
Jack White-Senior
Marquese Bolden-Senior
Javin DeLaurier-Senior

Questionable to return:

Tre Jones

New Talents:

Joey Baker (RS) 5 Star
Wendell Moore 5 Star
Vernon Carey 5 Star

Potential New Talents:

Matthew Hurt 5 Star

That’s a great mix of experience and incoming talent. Drop off from this year? Of course. This year is unprecedented. But I think you’re incredibly mistaken if you believe Duke will not have a very good team next year.

As for this year, Duke has a very good defense. I’m not seeing an early exit. This team is better than last year. Last years team was a Grayson rim out of going to the final four, and this Duke team is getting better. Many of you said Jones wasn’t even all that good before the season. Many of you also said the role players were a non factor. All of that has been more than false.

Gracie could hit better than 20-25% from the 3, something this years Duke team apparently cant do for last month or so. That'll haunt you in the tourney when you face a team with bigs, defense, and can hit the 3 at a normal percentage.

Absolutely true and a drop off is expected BUT that does not mean you can’t field good basketball teams capable of winning it all simply because you have 2-3 less highly rated 5 stars on your team.

Very true.

A lot depends on who comes back and who leaves for other teams.

Duke is definitely losing a lot of talent, but many other teams are as well.

I really am curious about the "bad visit" he supposedly had. Anyone know anything about this?

Next year:

Alex O’Connrl-Junior
Jack White-Senior
Marquese Bolden-Senior
Javin DeLaurier-Senior

Questionable to return:

Tre Jones

New Talents:

Joey Baker (RS) 5 Star
Wendell Moore 5 Star
Vernon Carey 5 Star

Potential New Talents:

Matthew Hurt 5 Star

I actually agree with the Duke guy on this.

Sans a commit-reclass by a guy like Hampton, or a commitment from Hurt, Duke likely fields a top 15-20 type of team next season. Top 12ish with another high-impact addition. They aren't going to be a bad team. I hate Duke as much as anyone but a spade is a spade.

It's a shame we don't play every year. Would love to see more Duke / UK matchups, but I suppose it does add a mystique to the game being the way it is now.

With that being said, hope you lose at Pitt.

I really am curious about the "bad visit" he supposedly had. Anyone know anything about this?

Word on the street is the parents were seeking certain guarantees in regards to playing time, role, number of shots, etc. That doesn't fly with Cal.

A team like Washington can offer that, because he will be their best player. He wouldn't be our best player.

Reactions: susan2361
I don't get it but whatever floats your boat.

What has UW ever done in college basketball? Weird but it is what it is.
All I remember about UW is that we beat them in the 1985 NCAA Tournament when they had Detlef Shrempf. We were an underdog in that game and only 16-12 going into the tournament. I remember staying up late to watch the game.

That is so stupid. Or he can ask Harden, Westbrook, and Ayton how the PAC 12 prepares you. If Stewart is the player ghat pundits say that he is then his league won’t matter. His game will do the talking.
Little different league when harden and Westbrook were playing.

Sans a commit-reclass by a guy like Hampton, or a commitment from Hurt, Duke likely fields a top 15-20 type of team next season. Top 12ish with another high-impact addition. They aren't going to be a bad team. I hate Duke as much as anyone but a spade is a spade.

It's a shame we don't play every year. Would love to see more Duke / UK matchups, but I suppose it does add a mystique to the game being the way it is now.

They’re not a favorite for Hurt so I guess it’ll be a reclass player only!

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
I'm not really impressed with any of Duke's returning players. They seem to get an awful lot of freedom while other teams worry about Duke's big three.

I'm not sure Baker/Ellis/Moore are impact players as freshman. These are probably multi-year guys. Maybe one shows out, but it seems less likely.

Duke won't have much use for Bolden now that they have Carey. Jones, hard to tell if he leaves with his shoulder injury now. But based on his brother, the big three leaving, and this being his best chance to win a title, I think he's gone.

So Carey, some not-ready-yet recruits and hold-overs. Duke needs another true play maker if they want to get past the first weekend. Just having an elite big isn't good enough, it's a position that can get easily nullified if you don't have a great back court. Guys like Ayton and Bamba come to mind.

Reactions: Rideordiewildcat
That is so stupid. Or he can ask Harden, Westbrook, and Ayton how the PAC 12 prepares you. If Stewart is the player ghat pundits say that he is then his league won’t matter. His game will do the talking.

You just named three top 5 picks that would have thrived had they played in the MAC. Which isn't much different than playing in the PAC 12.

Your conference has had one team in the Final Four since Ben Howland coached at UCLA. You don't currently have a single team in the top 25. According to Kenpom, Washington would be the 8th best team in either the SEC or ACC.

Reactions: johnc17

Hurt isn't going there though. At least I really don't think so. I am more worried about KU then them. From everything I hear it's us and KU.

I'm not really impressed with any of Duke's returning players. They seem to get an awful lot of freedom while other teams worry about Duke's big three.

I'm not sure Baker/Ellis/Moore are impact players as freshman. These are probably multi-year guys. Maybe one shows out, but it seems less likely.

Duke won't have much use for Bolden now that they have Carey. Jones, hard to tell if he leaves with his shoulder injury now. But based on his brother, the big three leaving, and this being his best chance to win a title, I think he's gone.

So Carey, some not-ready-yet recruits and hold-overs. Duke needs another true play maker if they want to get past the first weekend. Just having an elite big isn't good enough, it's a position that can get easily nullified if you don't have a great back court. Guys like Ayton and Bamba come to mind.
Exactly. Besides Carey it sounds like an old dook team before they started doing OAD's. Hurt sounds like us or KU so that's out. Their not in good shape with any remaining top 100 players. That team just doesn't scare me on paper at all. It sounds like the potential worse dook team in a decade or just short of it.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Exactly. Besides Carey it sounds like an old dook team before they started doing OAD's. Hurt sounds like us or KU so that's out. Their not in good shape with any remaining top 100 players. That team just doesn't scare me on paper at all. It sounds like the potential worse dook team in a decade or just short of it.

There’s a little pot calling the kettle black going on here. I think uk and duke both need their current pgs to come back next year to be final four contenders. There is nothing on the uk side that is worrisome for next year unless you plan on bringing everyone back and we know the more likely scenario is that anyone who can leave, will. That’s the downside to hyping yourself as the fast track to the league.
Duke’s plan is to just win it this year and field an experienced team next year that rebounds like crazy and has 2-3 scoring options. Kind of like the 2010 team. If Tre leaves, they’ll need another scoring guard to make that a viable option.

There’s a little pot calling the kettle black going on here. I think uk and duke both need their current pgs to come back next year to be final four contenders. There is nothing on the uk side that is worrisome for next year unless you plan on bringing everyone back and we know the more likely scenario is that anyone who can leave, will. That’s the downside to hyping yourself as the fast track to the league.
Duke’s plan is to just win it this year and field an experienced team next year that rebounds like crazy and has 2-3 scoring options. Kind of like the 2010 team. If Tre leaves, they’ll need another scoring guard to make that a viable option.

Jones is much more in the 1AD category than either Hagans or IQ are. Even Herro, EJ and Richards (who I think is progressing at a better rate than Bolden) are more likely to come back.

On top of that Kentucky's class is much more built for immediate success. Maxey/Whitney > just Carey. Guys like Allen, Ellis, and even Moore probably don't factor into the equation as much.

Kentucky is going to have all its pieces: guard play, spot up shooting, wing scorers and shooters, shot blocking bigs. We could use another big body, but that's about it.

Correct, it won’t be like the more recent teams with star power but it will be a team with lots of experience. Not much star power, but you don’t need that to win. I’m proud of Bolden who has continued to improve. Many wrote him off including myself but I’m going to focus on this year. If Duke wins it this year then next year is just pressure free ball. I really think this Duke team has the best chance to win it this year compared to the last few. If you’re telling me it’s going to take that Gonzaga effort vs a healthy Duke team and Duke still has several chances to win it at the end like in that game then I’m going to take those odds all day.

Reactions: Herromyherro
I fully expect Moore to be an impact player as a freshman. Expect him to play 25+ mpg and if Jones leaves I wouldn’t be surprised if Moore runs point for Duke next year.

I fully expect Moore to be an impact player as a freshman. Expect him to play 25+ mpg and if Jones leaves I wouldn’t be surprised if Moore runs point for Duke next year.

Blue, you think RJ will reclassify IF Jones leaves but won’t if he stays?

What I find interesting is how during the UK/Auburn game, Dick Vitale was talking about Reid and how he had to up his game now at UK; he went on to say something about the competition in the PAC 12 is nothing like the SEC.
If that truly is the thoughts of people like Vitale and others, you have to wonder about players who want to shy away from top competition night in and night out.
Is this what Coach Cal says "UK is not for everyone"?

I have been saying it all year. Reid is proof that the SEC is worlds above the pac12. The sec might be the most underrated conference in all of sports.

Yep. Sure, if you're UK, you'd rather have a team like 2015 when you have much better odds, and if you're Duke, you'd rather be like this version. But unpredictable things happen in the NCAAT every year, and without looking my guess is the overall 1 seed wins the tournament a lot less often than it doesn't. This isn't the NFL, or the NBA, where the best team wins just about every year. UConn 2014 anyone? And both K and Calipari have proven they can make deep runs with less than a powerhouse team.....

I stated my opinion. That's enough. Not going back and fourth about dook. We will see. I feel comfortable in what I said. Going to focus on one of the hottest teams right now my own cats. This is a KY board!

ADVERTISEMENT