ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Kerr.....Man of Principle and Courage

He really takes it to the Chicoms for crushing free speech. What a man of honor.
I don't have a personal or political agenda when listening to this. I think it is entirely possible that he did not have a great deal of info when discussing this topic. He said he has just started reading about it.
Like most thoughtful people, he wanted more information before he made a statement that will belong to him (and) be repeated. Until knowing more about the time frame of this interview I am not sure bashing him is warranted, unless you do have a political agenda.

I don't have a personal or political agenda when listening to this. I think it is entirely possible that he did not have a great deal of info when discussing this topic. He said he has just started reading about it.
Like most thoughtful people, he wanted more information before he made a statement that will belong to him (and) be repeated. Until knowing more about the time frame of this interview I am not sure bashing him is warranted, unless you do have a political agenda.

Stop being reasonable.

Reactions: d2atTech

Kerr is very politically outspoken. If Kerr didn't want to be known for his politics then he should have kept his mouth shut over the years.

well his father was assassinated.

Indeed he was. By an authoritarian regime. You think that would give him the backbone to speak out against other authoritarian regimes. Guess he wouldn't be one of the cool kids if he done that though.

Did the Hong Kong protesters support efforts to end police brutality?or systemic white supremacy?How about reparations? When they will, Kerr and Pop will support they struggle

Reactions: mailman85
Kerr is extremely political. He has a lot of interest in politics. His brother in law is a Chinese history professor or something like that. I highly doubt this is the first Kerr has heard of Chinese human rights violations. He’s being disingenuous and dodging the question.

Probably a gag order from the NBA.

I would assume every team (either under directive from the NBA or by themselves) have told everyone to keep their mouth shut regarding this situation. I certainly don't agree with censuring Americans regarding this issue I understand the motivation when you consider the NBA makes more money in China than they do in the US. Over a billion $$$ can be quite a motivator.

The guy who's entire Twitter timeline is filled with political posts "doesn't know enough" about the situation to comment on it.

Give me a break, Steve. Guy is an absolute coward and should be blasted anytime he comments on domestic issues until he addresses this properly.

200.gif

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Kerr is being a complete hypocrite on this one. You don't have to be the most informed person in the world to get the gist of how China treats it's own citizens as well as other citizen of other countries across the globe.

"Kerr has never shied away from social and political issues, supporting Colin Kaepernick’s right to protest police brutality during the national anthem and speaking out against President Trump’s immigration policies. But he always has tempered his comments with pleas for everyone to simply listen to one another. Such was the case last month, when he urged his players to discuss a possible White House visit even though a number of them already had said they would prefer not to celebrate their most recent NBA title at Trump’s official residence. (It turned out to be a moot point, as Trump later said the Warriors would not be welcome.)"

Reactions: bluepa53
It’s not necessarily Kerr that’s the hypocrite, though it’s not very courageous. It’s the NBA. They have more than likely instituted a gag order on this topic, but that same gag order obviously doesn’t extend to most domestic politics. Same situation with Hollywood - never a peep about human rights violations in China because they know that the latest silly green screen superhero or action adventure movie is guaranteed to make hundreds of millions there regardless of quality. No different really than working for any corporation - those types of responses on social media aren’t allowed.

Reactions: cat_chaser
Given the PLO killed Kerr's dad, you would have thought he would have jumped on it. That said, who cares what Kerr tweets? Most folks only follow people's Twitter they agree with. Travis has some tremendous insight on a variety of topics. If you read last Friday's mailbag, his take on bundling of sports services and future revenues was extremely enlightening. On the other hand, he goes overboard on other topics. By trying to be anti-woke, he's actually very woke, if you get the logic. Just as bad.

China really creates a dilemma for people in the West that have strong opinions but also want to sell them stuff. Hollywood especially better be careful.

It’s not necessarily Kerr that’s the hypocrite, though it’s not very courageous. It’s the NBA. They have more than likely instituted a gag order on this topic, but that same gag order obviously doesn’t extend to most domestic politics. Same situation with Hollywood - never a peep about human rights violations in China because they know that the latest silly green screen superhero or action adventure movie is guaranteed to make hundreds of millions there regardless of quality. No different really than working for any corporation - those types of responses on social media aren’t allowed.
It goes deeper than that.

You’ll never hear a peep out of them about Islam as well. Doesn’t matter that they kill Jews/Christians, kill gays, and treat women as property. Not a word.

BUT - as soon as someone gets word that a Christian spoke out against men using women’s restrooms or didn’t bake a gay cake.....LOOK OUT! Christians then become nothing but bigots, homophobes, and nazis.

Kerr is a perfect example of a typical American hating liberal.
Liberals as a rule do not hate America. They are generally very openminded and Their overall world view is different than yours.
Kerr is extremely political. He has a lot of interest in politics. His brother in law is a Chinese history professor or something like that. I highly doubt this is the first Kerr has heard of Chinese human rights violations. He’s being disingenuous and dodging the question.
I am not taking up for Kerr. I simply do not know the timeline of his interview. If you guys want to bash him, fine with me. If we are going to now take a stand on human rights on this board, I think all of you know that China is one of many countries that violate human rights. Saudi Arabia murdered a US journalist, they got a pass. This pass was given even with a taping of the incident and, in the face of horrendous human rights violations for decades. Turkey is another example but there are many, many others. I honestly just come here for basketball discussion.

Liberals as a rule do not hate America. They are generally very openminded and Their overall world view is different than yours.

I am not taking up for Kerr. I simply do not know the timeline of his interview. If you guys want to bash him, fine with me. If we are going to now take a stand on human rights on this board, I think all of you know that China is one of many countries that violate human rights. Saudi Arabia murdered a US journalist, they got a pass. This pass was given even with a taping of the incident and, in the face of horrendous human rights violations for decades. Turkey is another example but there are many, many others. I honestly just come here for basketball discussion.

That "US Journalist" part is open for discussion.

That "US Journalist" part is open for discussion.

More than that, it may be more likely that he tried to play both sides of the road and lost.

As the poster said, most of those regimes are awful, you just have to hold your nose with a few of them.

Liberals are the most closed minded group you’ll find. Just this week Ellen Degeneres had to defend herself because she sat with George W Bush. You’ll never see conservatives up in arms because someone is friends with someone. Liberals will. That’s not to there aren’t any close minded white supremacist nuts on the far right. Just by and large, liberals are far less open minded than a conservatives.

To your point about defending human rights on this board, I’m not a political activist. I’ll engage in some political topics on this board here and there, but I’m not a political enthusiast. Kerr is. That’s the point of contention I had. He’ll be up in arms about something moronic Trump tweets. His twitter feed is very political. He’s not shy about voicing his beliefs, nor should he be, but he doesn’t have an opinion on China’s human rights violations? Come on, that’s ridiculous.

Open-minded may be a synonym for gullible or willfully complicit....I will keep an open mind about being offensive...

Reactions: Elbridge
Open-minded may be a synonym for gullible or willfully complicit....I will keep an open mind about being offensive...
Thank you. Open mind is pretty easy to understand. It is only the biased that add the negative synonyms. Unfortunately even a phrase like open mindedness is made political these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT