ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Kerr is playing a lot of Zone

Steve Kerr is a lot better coach than Calipari as well, to state the obvious.

It is looking more and more likely he gets his 4th NBA title this year. The players he has on the team help, but we have had great teams and not won it all. Of course, apples to oranges when you get the players for years vs. one year for your best players.
There are fewer upsets due to a 7 game series.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

It is looking more and more likely he gets his 4th NBA title this year. The players he has on the team help, but we have had great teams and not won it all. Of course, apples to oranges when you get the players for years vs. one year for your best players.
plays a lot of small ball too
lots of shooters & makers

When you consider how much Cal prioritizes & values length & athleticism, it’s really baffling to me that he refuses to play zone defense. I mean, I know it’s bc he’s so concerned with getting his players accustomed to the NBA way. But, his teams are usually ideal for zone defenses. I can understand wanting to primarily play M2M. But, his refusal to even mix it up, occasionally, if only to disrupt the opponent’s rhythm & runs, is selfish, stubborn & downright stupid. He’ll sacrifice wins for the sake of preparing his players for playing defense at the next level.

When you consider how much Cal prioritizes & values length & athleticism, it’s really baffling to me that he refuses to play zone defense. I mean, I know it’s bc he’s so concerned with getting his players accustomed to the NBA way. But, his teams are usually ideal for zone defenses. I can understand wanting to primarily play M2M. But, his refusal to even mix it up occasionally, if only to disrupt the opponent’s rhythm & runs, is selfish, stubborn & downright stupid. He’ll sacrifice wins for the sake of preparing his players for playing defense at the next level.
because he is a lousy bench coach & his recruiting is moving down to that same level

Vs certain teams, I've always like box-&-1. Even though it brings back that loss to LSU in 86 regional final (after we had beaten them 3 times that year). Like last year, that might have been a good choice vs Ark.

Reactions: Aike
Zone takes coaching and lots of communication. Cal doesn’t coach it because he can’t. There are lots of coaches in many sports that hate any form of zonal defending because it’s not simple to teach. It takes all 5 guys teathered with very good communication and rotations. Cal is in capable of that. Even when we do zone it’s not a legit zone. It’s 5 guys sitting back with low pressure defending their area but there is no communication. No pressure no switches. It’s just a straight up low pressure 2-3 zone that the guys learned in high school. It’s also why we can’t attack the zone because it isn’t taught.

Cal doesn’t play zone because he doesn’t know how to coach a zone. Have you seen his teams try to play it? They’re awful at it. If it requires X’s and O’s We’re better off if Cal doesn’t do it. I’m all in on man to man as long as Cal is coach.

get rid of ccc & hire Kerr
bring his son from Arizona too, he can shoot like his dad

Pretty easy to look good win you have 2 of the best shooters in the history of the game and a loaded roster. I could coach that team.

S. Kerr never ran into the Peacocks!
Kerr couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag without superior talent - ala Popovich and Action Jackson. But they’re PC - so let’s not discuss their “overratedness”. Roll the ball out gentlemen!

Kerr couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag without superior talent - ala Popovich and Action Jackson. But they’re PC - so let’s not discuss their “overratedness”. Roll the ball out gentlemen!
Politics aside, I see plenty of evidence that Kerr and Pop know how to coach. Not that talent doesn’t help.

You only play zone when your primary defense does not work. That is why 95% of college coaches do not play zone...

You only play zone when your primary defense does not work. That is why 95% of college coaches do not play zone...
Ever? I would say that the % of college coaches that refuse to EVER play zone is under 5%, Rex.

PS. Derrick Miller was a much better player than you (and a lot cooler, too).

Pretty easy to look good win you have 2 of the best shooters in the history of the game and a loaded roster. I could coach that team.
still has to design some offensive structure which they have along with individual talent

Politics aside, I see plenty of evidence that Kerr and Pop know how to coach. Not that talent doesn’t help.
Where’s Pop today? In the gutter - where he was destined without talent. But Christopher Columbus was evil.

They gotta get Luka some help. Bunch of bums jacking 3's.
It worked in game 7 against the Suns, but it was obviously a fluke. If Brunson is your No. 2 you're not winning a title. No offense to him, good player but not a centerpiece to a title.

Reactions: UKWoodford
It worked in game 7 against the Suns, but it was obviously a fluke. If Brunson is your No. 2 you're not winning a title. No offense to him, good player but not a centerpiece to a title.
I want to see him with a good team around him. What is he? 23? Plenty of time and would be fun to watch as he moves it around.

Reactions: -BBH-
ADVERTISEMENT