ADVERTISEMENT

Stephen Johnson: Badass

He’s tough as nails and has a heart of a lion. My all-time favorite Cat. Im thinking of printing out a huge poster of him leaping into the end zone vs. Tennessee and putting it in my “man-cave.”

I’ll never forget when he came running back out of the tunnel after getting hurt in the Tennessee game, and the entire stadium cheered. One of my all time favorites, for sure.
I remember watching the game and wishing Johnson would come back to the game after he went out.
How my heart soared in his moments coming out of the tunnel back to playing field. He was UK football Magic.

Playing hurt and winning was his MO at UK. Any of his possible replacements got that kinda College football character?

His kind are rare. If we got one, then good for them and us. Just don't expect it because few have that.

All of that info makes me wonder why in the world we didn't play Barker or Hoak last year. SJ was a warrior but serious injuries like these could not have left him at much more than 60% effectiveness. Barker and Hoak were THAT bad last year that they couldn't see the field? Wow

I don't think they are rare, I think they are hidden on some teams rosters.

In most years, few get the chance to do what they can do on any team in the SEC.

Maybe it’s not rare to have a kid with the mental and physical toughness to play thru pain. But I think Johnson had surgery on both shoulders after the season, had two knee ligaments torn, and apparently a bad hamstring to boot. That kind of toughness is indeed rare.

Although, it does make you wonder - did the coaches have that little faith in Hoak?

This thing is just getting started. Latest charges have implicated Under Armour in this scheme. The Federal BI will be looking into Nike as well. As Nike's top 2 schools, Duke and Kentucky fans should be very nervous. Cal has been taking advantage of this system since 2001. If you think otherwise, you simply have your head in the sand, or somewhere else.

Or had that much in Johnson. Dude was a legend. Great family, too.

Looking at him on the field, you never knew he was in that much pain. No wonder some of his passes were not spot on. The guy is a winner. That is why he played over Barker and Hoak.

Maybe it’s not rare to have a kid with the mental and physical toughness to play thru pain. But I think Johnson had surgery on both shoulders after the season, had two knee ligaments torn, and apparently a bad hamstring to boot. That kind of toughness is indeed rare.

Although, it does make you wonder - did the coaches have that little faith in Hoak?
I feel like it could of been more of a team confidence in Johnson as their leader. As long as he was back there they felt they had a chance. Barker was abysmal every time he touched the ball.

SJ will always be one of my favorites. The game he got body slammed and jumped right back up was amazing, and no penalty called, which was just as amazing.

One of the toughest sob's to ever put on a UK uniform. Wish Stoops would make him a grad assistant and let him learn under Hishaw and Gran how to coach. Just his personality alone on the sideline I think would help.

Reactions: The-Hack
Looking at him on the field, you never knew he was in that much pain. No wonder some of his passes were not spot on. The guy is a winner. That is why he played over Barker and Hoak.

If he had played basketball, CAL would have loved him.

All of that info makes me wonder why in the world we didn't play Barker or Hoak last year. SJ was a warrior but serious injuries like these could not have left him at much more than 60% effectiveness. Barker and Hoak were THAT bad last year that they couldn't see the field? Wow
Barker did play...and his whole time out there everyone was hoping SJ would come back into the game.

One of the toughest sob's to ever put on a UK uniform. Wish Stoops would make him a grad assistant and let him learn under Hishaw and Gran how to coach. Just his personality alone on the sideline I think would help.
If that is what he wants to do I'm sure that option will be made available to him. Perhaps the kid is ready to move on from football and ready to start a new chapter in his life?
Don't know. Just pretty certain that the kid will be successful in whatever he chooses to do.

He struggled with short passing.

His play was inconsistent.

He didn't have the height, strength or talent of a Couch, a Woodson or a Babe Parelli.

But with 3 minutes on the clock, he was the greatest Kentucky quarterback, ever.

When the game was on the line, and we had a shot, we typically won, with a player who was lucky to still be able to run, and with either a sh!t eating grin on his face ["I love this sh!t], or his tongue stuck out as far as it would go.

He’s tough as nails and has a heart of a lion. My all-time favorite Cat. Im thinking of printing out a huge poster of him leaping into the end zone vs. Tennessee and putting it in my “man-cave.”
Put it on your chest. That would cement your love.

Extremely tough guy but blows my mind neither Barker or Hoak did not get more PT.

That was my point during the season when folks where saying he couldn’t even lift one of his arms above his shoulder and subsequently was throwing scud missles to his WR corp. Stoops/Gran seemed to have zero faith in our backups which gives concern for this season if Terry isn’t the truth.

When they interviewed him during the spring game this year and I saw just how skinny he was without pads I gained even more appreciation for what he did. It's amazing that an SEC d-lineman didn't break him in half. Toughest UK QB ever.

ADVERTISEMENT