ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers sign T.J. Carter after UK Pro Day

Good luck to TJ. I've kind of studied the mad science of the NFL draft and camps the last couple of years...and I get lost a lot. BUT....
TJ was not eligible for the draft.
Signing never means sticking.....some signed players get cut before training camp as "better" prospects come along. He will be among a dozen guys competing for a spot somewhere.

At the end of the final training camp game, teams make that brutal cut down to 53...total. Plus practice squad. (8 players subject to cut at any time) EVEN if he has a contract, he is subject to release at team discretion. All he would be owed is any signing bonus he had plus maybe a few weeks pay. SHOULD for some reason he clear training camp and be injured during camp, a team may keep him on the unable to perform or injured reserve. Unable to perform means they expect him back this season. Injured reserve usually means he wont play anywhere all year, but get a years salary.

There really is a reason guys need agents to figure some of this stuff out. NFL contracts and policies look like something Dr. Who may dream up.

Good luck to TJ. I've kind of studied the mad science of the NFL draft and camps the last couple of years...and I get lost a lot. BUT....
TJ was not eligible for the draft.
Signing never means sticking.....some signed players get cut before training camp as "better" prospects come along. He will be among a dozen guys competing for a spot somewhere.

At the end of the final training camp game, teams make that brutal cut down to 53...total. Plus practice squad. (8 players subject to cut at any time) EVEN if he has a contract, he is subject to release at team discretion. All he would be owed is any signing bonus he had plus maybe a few weeks pay. SHOULD for some reason he clear training camp and be injured during camp, a team may keep him on the unable to perform or injured reserve. Unable to perform means they expect him back this season. Injured reserve usually means he wont play anywhere all year, but get a years salary.

There really is a reason guys need agents to figure some of this stuff out. NFL contracts and policies look like something Dr. Who may dream up.
I don't think Carter is going to make the 53 man roster but he's fighting for a practice squad position and the odds aren't in his favor but at least he's getting a chance.

He must have performed well at the pro day even though we didn’t hear about him. Good luck to him.

ADVERTISEMENT