ADVERTISEMENT

Status of recruiting

Rembrandt90

Senior
Jun 25, 2018
Kentucky is in line to lose 14 recruited seniors, and probably junior Benny Snell too. Nine departing players are on the defense, 7 of them are starters. If Snell goes, we lose 5 offensive starters. The numbers suggest that the recruiting class has to address several defensive needs as well as RB.

4 non-seniors are expected back next year at this time, but there are sure to be other departures. It happens every year. I think Mark Stoops will sign a 25 player class.

There are 15 commitments. I suggest some assumptions about how the other 10 scholarships will be used. Some of my assumptions will be wrong. Maybe none of them will be right. New targets can emerge at any time.

QB (Nick Scalzo). The case for taking one QB is that Stoops might not want to scare off Beau Allen. The case for taking two is that one of our current QBs could leave. Allen is looking at several power conference programs. I think Stoops might take two QBs if he can get a player he wants, but probably ends up signing only Scalzo this year.

RB (Travis Tisdale). Stoops may take one more. Tahj Gary and John Bivens are the most obvious targets.

WR (Demontae Crumes, DeMarcus Harris). Stoops has to take 1-2 more. The most obvious targets are Wandale Robinson, CJ Boone, and Trevon Rafael. Getting Milton Wright would be a moon shot.

TE (Nikolas Ognenovic). We are done.

OL (Jake Pope, Eli Cox). Stoops needs 2-3 more. The most obvious targets are Dylan Rathcke, Kyle Jornigan, and Kamaar Bell.

DL (Cavon Butler, Taures Payne). Opinions differ on how many DLs Stoops will sign. Braylen Ingraham is an obvious target. Isaiah Gibson has been a target, but that train may have left the station. Stoops would like to sign JJ Weaver, but there are no indications that he can. I have heard a suggestion that Kamaar Bell could be viewed as a NT, and Bell is intrigued. But I don’t know if it’s current thinking.

LB (Marquez Bembry, KD McDaniel, Tra Wilkins). Shawnkel Knight-Goff decommitted. Stoops would take Jared Casey or Mikel Jones, but that’s not likely to happen.

DB (Moses Douglass, Jay Ward, Jalen Geiger). We know DJ Daniel is the next target. I think Stoops would take Taj Dodson.

These are just my ideas. I am not a source.

Last edited:
QB (Nick Scalzo). The case for taking one QB is that Stoops might not want to scare off Beau Allen. The case for taking two is that one of our current QBs could leave. Allen is looking at several power conference programs. I think Stoops might take two QBs if he can get a player he wants, but probably ends up signing only Scalzo this year
If QB leaves, I'd guess we'll follow our standard backup plan: Sign a JC guy.

Kentucky is in line to lose 14 recruited seniors, and probably junior Benny Snell too. Nine departing players are on the defense, 7 of them are starters. If Snell goes, we lose 5 offensive starters. The numbers suggest that the recruiting class has to address several defensive needs as well as RB.

4 non-seniors are expected back next year at this time, but there are sure to be other departures. It happens every year. I think Mark Stoops will sign a 25 player class.

There are 15 commitments. I suggest some assumptions about how the other 10 scholarships will be used. Some of my assumptions will be wrong. Maybe none of them will be right. New targets can emerge at any time.

QB (Nick Scalzo). The case for taking one QB is that Stoops might not want to scare off Beau Allen. The case for taking two is that one of our current QBs could leave. Allen is looking at several power conference programs. I think Stoops might take two QBs if he can get a player he wants, but probably ends up signing only Scalzo this year.

RB (Travis Tisdale, Tahj Gary). If something happens with one of the current commits, John Bivens would become the most obvious target.

WR (Demontae Crumes, DeMarcus Harris). Stoops has to take 1-2 more. The most obvious targets are Wandale Robinson, CJ Boone, and Trevon Rafael. Getting Milton Wright would be a moon shot.

OL (Jake Pope, Eli Cox). Stoops needs 2-3 more. The most obvious targets are Dylan Rathcke, Kyle Jornigan, and Kamaar Bell.

DL (Cavon Butler, Taures Payne). Opinions differ on how many DLs Stoops will sign. Braylen Ingraham is an obvious target. Isaiah Gibson has been a target, but that train may have left the station. Stoops would like to sign JJ Weaver, but there are no indications that he can. I have heard a suggestion that Kamaar Bell could be viewed as a NT, and Bell is intrigued. But I don’t know if it’s current thinking.

LB (Marquez Bembry, KD McDaniel, Tra Wilkins). Shawnkel Knight-Goff decommitted. Stoops would take Jared Casey or Mikel Jones, but that’s not likely to happen.

DB (Moses Douglass, Jay Ward, Jalen Geiger). We know DJ Daniel is the next target. I think Stoops would take Taj Dodson.

Gary?

RB (Travis Tisdale). Stoops may take one more. Tahj Gary and John Bivens are the most obvious targets.

DL recruiting looks shaky. Butler's committed but still taking visits. Ingraham is probably a long shot, Gibson's iffy as well, really like Weaver but don't think he comes here. JUCOs may figure late in the process.

This cycle seems to be no better than treading water. Not sure this class moves the needle. Was really hoping for more 4*s at this point. Long way to go of course.

Need to win and have a strong draft class

The draft is killing us with top guys right now. We SHOULD fix that this year

DL recruiting looks shaky. Butler's committed but still taking visits. Ingraham is probably a long shot, Gibson's iffy as well, really like Weaver but don't think he comes here. JUCOs may figure late in the process.

This cycle seems to be no better than treading water. Not sure this class moves the needle. Was really hoping for more 4*s at this point. Long way to go of course.
I believe Payne and Butler will go ahead and sign with UK. I don’t see any reason to believe otherwise. Of the names you mentioned, I believe Ingraham remains a possibility. There is no known reason to call him a long shot, but he could decide to go somewhere else just like anyone could.

The unknown factor is how many DLs Stoops wants to sign this year. I would like to see him take 2-3 more, but I have no idea what he thinks about it.

ADVERTISEMENT