ADVERTISEMENT

Stats after 2 games in Bahamas

Catzman

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 29, 2002
I didn't see it anywhere else, so if it's been posted already the mods can just delete this post. It's Friday and I'm avoiding any form of actual work in the office today so I figured I'd check out the stats for the guys through the first 2 games of this 4 game Bahamas trip. I left of EJ since he didn't play the 2nd game.

-Green is averaging 6ppg, 2.5rpg to go along with a 4 assist to 1.5 TO ratio. He's only hit 5-15 FG attempts and only 1-7 from 3 but I love what I've seen of him commanding the team as a 2nd year player and the lighting/shooting in the ballroom can't be easy. All done in 22.35mpg

-Quickley is averaging 5.5ppg, 6rpg to go along with a 4.5 assist to 0 TO ratio and 2 steals per game. Yes, he has 9 assists and 0 TOs in a total of almost 52 minutes played (25.86mpg). No matter who the competition whether they be a Euro pro team, D-1 college team or even a scrimmage, that's impressive for a freshman PG. He's gon only 3-11 from the field and 1-4 from deep but again, along withe everyone not named Herro, the shooting in this setting is about as bad as can be with depth perception, lighting, etc. 4-6 from the FT line.

-Haggans has been on the court less than either Green or Quickley at only 18.94 mpg but he's making the most of his time. 5.5ppg and 4rpg isn't bad for a 6'3 pg on a star studded team, especially the rebounds part (more than Richards). He's grabbed 2 steals per game just like IQ but is only averaging 1 assist per game vs 2 TOs per game. He's not taken a lot of shots and is deferring, but he's not getting a ton of assists either. Of the few shots he's taken, he's gone 4-6 and is 3-4 from the FT line.

-Johnson has looked like a freshman but also like a star in the making. In 25.36mpg, he's scoring 12ppg, grabbing 4.5rpg while shooting 8-22 from the field and 2-5 from deep. I'd like to see him finish inside better but his 3 point shooting, especially considering the setting, is promising. Only 1 TO per game despite attacking a lot and having the ball in his hands quite a bit.

-Richards has looked like a man possessed on offense. The lowest number of minutes per game of any of the 8 big time players at 18.51, he's our 2nd leading scorer at 14.5ppg going 11-13 from the field total and 7-8 from the free throw line. Jump shots, dunks, running the floor, ridiculous post moves. It's been everything we'd hoped he could be and then some. Not as many blocks as I'd hoped and only 3 rebounds per game, but I'm sure those numbers will go up as more games are played. As long as he's scoring like this though, I can't complain.

-Washington looks to be where he was expected to be by picking up where he left off last season. 24.55mpg has him with 12.5ppg and 4.5 rpg. 9-20 from the field and 0-4 from deep with some of those misses being very cringe worthy. I'll take the 7-9 from the free throw line every day of the week though and he's also managing 1.5 steals per game.

-Travis has been a good counterpart to Washington/Richards. 25.04ppg shows he scores 7.5ppg and eats up 10rpg. Right where he hoped he'd be as a rebounding machine. Nothing much else to speak of other than 2TOs per game because he keeps bringing the ball down low. 6-19 from the field and struggled to finish inside like Johnson. 3-4 on FTs.

-Herro, the conductor of the Hype Train, has only played 22.79 mpg which is astonishing as it feels like he's been out there way longer due to his massive surge to start his UK career. 18.5ppg and 2.5rpg to go along with shooting lights out (literally) at 13-21 from the field, 4-8 from deep and 8-8 from the charity stripe. Not sure you can start much better than he has.

Any thoughts on how the stats compare to what ya'll have seen from the 2 games so far?

I think the stats indicate a few things;

1.We have 9 players who can bring something to the table

2.There may not be a take over the game star right now but there are multiple options to score

3.We have plenty of guards and can match-up with almost anything a team can throw at us

4.This team may not be as athletic as some of Cal's teams but they have more basketball skills and know how to play the game(basketball IQ)

Obviously it is a small sample size with no pressure involved and in an unusual atmosphere so any take away should be viewed in that context.Honestly I can't say if I am surprised by what I have seen or if I expected it.When Montgomery gets healthy it will be interesting to see how Cal will use EJ,PJ,Travis and Richards(and Johnson in that mix some of the time

The next two games will be interesting in that maybe we will get a glimpse of players finding their roles and how certain combinations fit together

Reactions: Catzman
I didn't see it anywhere else, so if it's been posted already the mods can just delete this post. It's Friday and I'm avoiding any form of actual work in the office today so I figured I'd check out the stats for the guys through the first 2 games of this 4 game Bahamas trip. I left of EJ since he didn't play the 2nd game.

-Green is averaging 6ppg, 2.5rpg to go along with a 4 assist to 1.5 TO ratio. He's only hit 5-15 FG attempts and only 1-7 from 3 but I love what I've seen of him commanding the team as a 2nd year player and the lighting/shooting in the ballroom can't be easy. All done in 22.35mpg

-Quickley is averaging 5.5ppg, 6rpg to go along with a 4.5 assist to 0 TO ratio and 2 steals per game. Yes, he has 9 assists and 0 TOs in a total of almost 52 minutes played (25.86mpg). No matter who the competition whether they be a Euro pro team, D-1 college team or even a scrimmage, that's impressive for a freshman PG. He's gon only 3-11 from the field and 1-4 from deep but again, along withe everyone not named Herro, the shooting in this setting is about as bad as can be with depth perception, lighting, etc. 4-6 from the FT line.

-Haggans has been on the court less than either Green or Quickley at only 18.94 mpg but he's making the most of his time. 5.5ppg and 4rpg isn't bad for a 6'3 pg on a star studded team, especially the rebounds part (more than Richards). He's grabbed 2 steals per game just like IQ but is only averaging 1 assist per game vs 2 TOs per game. He's not taken a lot of shots and is deferring, but he's not getting a ton of assists either. Of the few shots he's taken, he's gone 4-6 and is 3-4 from the FT line.

-Johnson has looked like a freshman but also like a star in the making. In 25.36mpg, he's scoring 12ppg, grabbing 4.5rpg while shooting 8-22 from the field and 2-5 from deep. I'd like to see him finish inside better but his 3 point shooting, especially considering the setting, is promising. Only 1 TO per game despite attacking a lot and having the ball in his hands quite a bit.

-Richards has looked like a man possessed on offense. The lowest number of minutes per game of any of the 8 big time players at 18.51, he's our 2nd leading scorer at 14.5ppg going 11-13 from the field total and 7-8 from the free throw line. Jump shots, dunks, running the floor, ridiculous post moves. It's been everything we'd hoped he could be and then some. Not as many blocks as I'd hoped and only 3 rebounds per game, but I'm sure those numbers will go up as more games are played. As long as he's scoring like this though, I can't complain.

-Washington looks to be where he was expected to be by picking up where he left off last season. 24.55mpg has him with 12.5ppg and 4.5 rpg. 9-20 from the field and 0-4 from deep with some of those misses being very cringe worthy. I'll take the 7-9 from the free throw line every day of the week though and he's also managing 1.5 steals per game.

-Travis has been a good counterpart to Washington/Richards. 25.04ppg shows he scores 7.5ppg and eats up 10rpg. Right where he hoped he'd be as a rebounding machine. Nothing much else to speak of other than 2TOs per game because he keeps bringing the ball down low. 6-19 from the field and struggled to finish inside like Johnson. 3-4 on FTs.

-Herro, the conductor of the Hype Train, has only played 22.79 mpg which is astonishing as it feels like he's been out there way longer due to his massive surge to start his UK career. 18.5ppg and 2.5rpg to go along with shooting lights out (literally) at 13-21 from the field, 4-8 from deep and 8-8 from the charity stripe. Not sure you can start much better than he has.

Any thoughts on how the stats compare to what ya'll have seen from the 2 games so far?

i am very curious to see the progress of our team. The foundation is really amazing.

QG, IQ, and AH have all great potential to be good PG.

Richards step up for me isn't too surprising, since i have been saying he is the key. If he develops we are completely different team, and completely different potential as a team.

Herro has been a boy wonder. KJ need to learn to finish strong, and he and Herro would battle for best players.

PJ and RT both are doing what we expect, just need more polish.

Lets get EJ back and healthy. He could become really great player too.

Herro has looked like a take over the game type of guy to me. A little reminiscent of Monk.

Once he gets comfortable, I think you'll see Travis be the go-to option for UK when the team needs a bucket. Always nice to have a consistent low-post scorer who is reliable.
If you are talking about needing a basket inside then I agree. IMO Herro and Johnson will be the #1-2 scoring options if you need a game winning basket . But yes if we want to score down low , slow a game down , milk clock ect Travis will be the go to guy.

Once he gets comfortable, I think you'll see Travis be the go-to option for UK when the team needs a bucket. Always nice to have a consistent low-post scorer who is reliable.
If teams start gearing their defense to stop our shooters Travis should have a field day!

ADVERTISEMENT