ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2023 Recruiting

We have added two more commitments this afternoon-

Michael Bernard, K, Clayton MO
Sebastian Scott, OL/DL, West Palm Beach, FL

Bernard is a 6'3" 200# transfer from Fordham. Big leg. Recruited by Coach Boulware.

Scott is a huge player who played little at Cardinal Newman hs in 2022. May have been injured.

I presume both are PWOs, but have not been able to confirm that yet.

As suspected William Spencer chose to stay home and play for UL. As I discussed earlier, this is not a make or break development for our class although some of our fans may take it hard.
I do worry with Brohm there it will be harder and harder to get kids from the city of Lville to leave the city.
I think the deck was stacked against us on this one. Did I read where his mom was a U of L grad ?
And you will never convince me that CV of ASPIRATIONS does not want want kids from Lville to go to Lville
I am always a little uncomfortable with these posse members, advisors, hangerons etc
We have a good class but I think the Big Dog was fighting a losing battle on this one
Just my two cents worth which is about what it's worth

We finished this class strongly with the addition of Gilbert. With an average Star ranking of 3.47. This is the second highest in the Stoops era, second only to last year’s celebrated class, which finished at an average of 3.5.

I was deeply concerned just a few months, ago, that this class might underwhelm in comparison to Stoops’ prior classes, and am a tad shocked it ended up among his best efforts.

Add in that our incoming transfers are mostly former 4 and 5 Star players, and the total recruiting effort for 2023 is the highest of the Stoops era. Hopefully this class lives up to the high rankings it has been given.

I do worry with Brohm there it will be harder and harder to get kids from the city of Lville to leave the city.
I think the deck was stacked against us on this one. Did I read where his mom was a U of L grad ?
And you will never convince me that CV of ASPIRATIONS does not want want kids from Lville to go to Lville
I am always a little uncomfortable with these posse members, advisors, hangerons etc
We have a good class but I think the Big Dog was fighting a losing battle on this one

Not worried.
Not that disappointed.
I'm more concerned with SEC and B1G recruiting battles, and I'd rather see Brohm at UL after Purdue played in the conf title game this year.

From what I could find on past Twitter: Jackson Bunn, 6'3 280 from Alabama, Max Ishmael, 6'4 but no weight listed, from Lexington(wondering if he is from the family of Chill Ishmael, UK basketball player from decades ago?), Braiden Myers, 6'4 300 from Somerset, Kyle Mixon, 6'4 305 from Warner-Robbins, GA. Only place I saw these guys listed was Twitter, very quiet otherwise. Also found PWO offers for a LB and 2 WRs.

Don't know anything about the kid from Warner Robbins, but the program is a power in their class, 6A I believe and usually had a deep run in the playoffs and winning some.

Don't know anything about the kid from Warner Robbins, but the program is a power in their class, 6A I believe and usually had a deep run in the playoffs and winning some.
A lot has changed over the years and I don't keep up with GA HS football like I used to what with new schools and all but Warner Robbins has been good for as long as I can remember. Tough row to hoe for a WO but you never know, kid could be a late bloomer. Has good size, will depend on his work ethic plus S&C. Worthy of a gamble.

I get it. But for a city of its size, Louisville has been remarkably unsuccessful at producing Power 5 football players. We have discussed this here before. I'm not talking about Dickie Lyons or Paul Hornung. I am talking about contemporary realities in Jefferson Co.

UK's only current starter from Jefferson Co. is JJ Weaver, who actually grew up in GA. Louisville is a basketball town with a bad public school system. The reality is that the Lexington area (including Danville) is currently a much more productive football recruiting territory than Jefferson Co. To be blunt, the reality is that North Hardin hs by itself is producing more Power 5 football players than Jefferson Co. And North Hardin hs is a UK pipeline.

Cincinnati is as close to UK's campus as Louisville. Cincinnati is producing a lot more Power 5 football players than Louisville. Vince Marrow has made steady progress at Winton Woods hs and Archbishop Moeller hs. UK now gets a lot of good SEC football players out of those two programs, as well as nearby Lakota West hs and Springfield hs to the north.

Meantime, UL has never relied on recruiting inside Jefferson Co. Despite Joe Jacoby, Brian Brohm, Devante Parker, and Michael Bush, given the large size of the city there have been relatively few notable UL stars who actually grew up in Louisville. UL has always recruited heavily out of state.

If Jeff Brohm proves he can beat Mark Stoops for recruits that UK's staff really wants, then I will be impressed. But I doubt that happens, because UK is a successful SEC program on its way up. So until Brohm shows me something, I am unconcerned.

Again, getting Kendrick Gilbert yesterday was much more important than losing Woo Spencer. UK's roster is loaded with young OGs. Jager Burton, Grant Bingham, and Austin Ramsey had much better offer sheets than Spencer. I'm sure Spencer saw that. And no matter how much a person likes online player ratings, the offer sheet is the coaches' version of player ratings. Ramsey comes from the largest city in a proven football state. He needs a redshirt season to rework his body. But unless he pulls a "Goodwin" and literally eats his way out of a scholarship, Ramsey will see the field in Lexington sooner than Spencer would have.

Yes, Chris Vaughn is a UL fan. No worries. I trust our coaches.

We finished this class strongly with the addition of Gilbert. With an average Star ranking of 3.47. This is the second highest in the Stoops era, second only to last year’s celebrated class, which finished at an average of 3.5.

I was deeply concerned just a few months, ago, that this class might underwhelm in comparison to Stoops’ prior classes, and am a tad shocked it ended up among his best efforts.

Add in that our incoming transfers are mostly former 4 and 5 Star players, and the total recruiting effort for 2023 is the highest of the Stoops era. Hopefully this class lives up to the high rankings it has been given.
Yes we did. This is another quality recruiting class for Coach Stoops. But we are in the era of the transfer portal now, so the context of recruiting has changed. I won't even get into NIL, because (as Coach Stoops has said) the present situation is unsustainable and will have to change. But the portal clearly puts recruiting in a new perspective.

Football recruiting depends on talent evaluation skills of a coaching staff. Football coaches talk with prospects and their hs coaches, then attend as many hs games as they need to evaluate the player. By the time an online website evaluator begins to evaluate and rank hs players, Power 5 coaching staffs in the area have long since sized up every significant player and gotten the real inside scoop from hs coaches. Online website evaluators see highlight film and occasionally attend combines. Power 5 coaches see more film (not just highlights) and attend real games. There is no logical way that an online website evaluator can know a hs player's strengths and limitations as well as a coach who fully evaliuates the player and talks with his hs coaches. So online class rankings have to be understood for what they are and aren't. They make interesting reading, but they do not necessarily reflect the way coaches think.

I believe that the football recruiting classes cannot be judged until players have been on campus 2-3 years. By then, we know who has left, who has stayed, who has added muscle in the gym, and how much the survivors "want it". In 4 years, Josh Allen went from an unknown Monmouth lean to the best college defensive player in the country. This had a lot to do with why Coach Marrow considers his 2015 class one of his best. When our 2015 class signed, UK fans were saying Stoops couldn't recruit. Nobody had heard of Josh Allen, and Allen contributed absolutely nothing to our 2015 class ranking. This is not a unique story. UK All Americans Benny Snell, Bunchy Stallings, and Logan Stenberg were lightly recruited. Not many other teams were interested in signing Jamin Davis, Chris Rodriguez, Kenneth Horsey, or Carrington Valentine. OTOH, Kiyaunta Goodwin, Matt Elam, and Michael "Donut" Drennen were highly recruited and contributed significantly to UK's class rankings in those years. You never can tell about a football player until he actually tries to play college football.

I like our 2023 class because it will make our defensive unit a lot stronger. Stoops is mainly using the portal to fix our offense.

Last edited:
The five worst recruiting classes was Syracuse, Rutgers, Washington St, Kansas and Vandy. It looked like Vandy's new coach was making a little progress but maybe not. Only one 4 star in their class.

A lot has changed over the years and I don't keep up with GA HS football like I used to what with new schools and all but Warner Robbins has been good for as long as I can remember. Tough row to hoe for a WO but you never know, kid could be a late bloomer. Has good size, will depend on his work ethic plus S&C. Worthy of a gamble.

Just know he comes from a strong program, normally has a few military kids on the team. No clue how much this kid played, but it's a state power and like you said has been for years. Lots of college athletes passed through those doors.

Reactions: mrschwump
Bunn looks like he has been seriously weight lifting for a long time. Already a very strong frame. Described as a mauler in the run game and as good in pass protection, he has won something called a 'big and nasty' award before. Had several offers at the lower level, but is really excited to get to be in the mining engineering program at UK. He said that Ole Miss about the only other place to get that.

I get it. But for a city of its size, Louisville has been remarkably unsuccessful at producing Power 5 football players. We have discussed this here before. I'm not talking about Dickie Lyons or Paul Hornung. I am talking about contemporary realities in Jefferson Co.

UK's only current starter from Jefferson Co. is JJ Weaver, who actually grew up in GA. Louisville is a basketball town with a bad public school system. The reality is that the Lexington area (including Danville) is currently a much more productive football recruiting territory than Jefferson Co. To be blunt, the reality is that North Hardin hs by itself is producing more Power 5 football players than Jefferson Co. And North Hardin hs is a UK pipeline.

Cincinnati is as close to UK's campus as Louisville. Cincinnati is producing a lot more Power 5 football players than Louisville. Vince Marrow has made steady progress at Winton Woods hs and Archbishop Moeller hs. UK now gets a lot of good SEC football players out of those two programs, as well as nearby Lakota West hs and Springfield hs to the north.

Meantime, UL has never relied on recruiting inside Jefferson Co. Despite Joe Jacoby, Brian Brohm, Devante Parker, and Michael Bush, given the large size of the city there have been relatively few notable UL stars who actually grew up in Louisville. UL has always recruited heavily out of state.

If Jeff Brohm proves he can beat Mark Stoops for recruits that UK's staff really wants, then I will be impressed. But I doubt that happens, because UK is a successful SEC program on its way up. So until Brohm shows me something, I am unconcerned.

Again, getting Kendrick Gilbert yesterday was much more important than losing Woo Spencer. UK's roster is loaded with young OGs. Jager Burton, Grant Bingham, and Austin Ramsey had much better offer sheets than Spencer. I'm sure Spencer saw that. And no matter how much a person likes online player ratings, the offer sheet is the coaches' version of player ratings. Ramsey comes from the largest city in a proven football state. He needs a redshirt season to rework his body. But unless he pulls a "Goodwin" and literally eats his way out of a scholarship, Ramsey will see the field in Lexington sooner than Spencer would have.

Yes, Chris Vaughn is a UL fan. No worries. I trust our coaches.
Good words here Rembrandt

Bunn looks like he has been seriously weight lifting for a long time. Already a very strong frame. Described as a mauler in the run game and as good in pass protection, he has won something called a 'big and nasty' award before. Had several offers at the lower level, but is really excited to get to be in the mining engineering program at UK. He said that Ole Miss about the only other place to get that.

That's a strange major for a kid from the southern end of Georgia, makes me wonder if he is a military kid or someone who moved there from an area with some mining. About the only mining I can think of in GA is for Kaolin and talc. Not a big deal just interesting.

As for the weight lifting, the power programs start early with the lifting.

The five worst recruiting classes was Syracuse, Rutgers, Washington St, Kansas and Vandy. It looked like Vandy's new coach was making a little progress but maybe not. Only one 4 star in their class.
On Rival’s ‘23 rankings, I count 17 Power 5 programs at or below Vandy’s finish, tied for 47th with Wake Forest.

Maybe half of the ACC is below Vandy, and some others that surprise, like Cal, Oklahoma State, Wisconsin, Cincinnati and Purdue.

I like our 2023 class because it will make our defensive unit a lot stronger. Stoops is mainly using the portal to fix our offense.
Now that we have posted a Top 4 Finish for defense (or better) in the SEC for five years running, I think defensive recruits have seen our draft results and consistent top 15 national defensive ranking, and are easier to recruit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rembrandt90
On Rival’s ‘23 rankings, I count 17 Power 5 programs at or below Vandy’s finish, tied for 47th with Wake Forest.

Maybe half of the ACC is below Vandy, and some others that surprise, like Cal, Oklahoma State, Wisconsin, Cincinnati and Purdue.
I didn't look any closer at it, just an article I read.

Reactions: The-Hack
That's a strange major for a kid from the southern end of Georgia, makes me wonder if he is a military kid or someone who moved there from an area with some mining. About the only mining I can think of in GA is for Kaolin and talc. Not a big deal just interesting.

As for the weight lifting, the power programs start early with the lifting.
It said something about it being in the geological field so it must be more expansive than what it sounds.

Last edited:
Compared to all other Stoops classes this one actually turned out as one of the better ones if you include the transfer portal. We was anywhere from 8th to 18th with our transfer portal class. So if you factor that in with our 31 best class nationally, that was pretty good. Here are Stoops ranked classes since he has been here.

2013 34th nationally and 13th in the conference
2014 22 (10)
2015 38 (13)
2016 34 (12)
2017 30 (11)
2018 37 (11)
2019 34 (12)
2020 25 (9)
2021 34 (12)
2022 11 (4)
2023 31 (12)

One thing this shows is that we can compete pretty well in the SEC even with one of the worst recruiting classes in the conference year in and year out. With a couple more good recruiters on board now maybe we can start closing that gap even more.

With a couple more good recruiters on board now maybe we can start closing that gap even more.
We ended up 5th in the SEC for transfer portal, on TOS. With 19 schollies for freshmen and 6 for transfers, we can say that 25%+ of our recruiting effort goes into the portal.

Bama and UGA have not relied upon the portal as much, and with annual Top 5 classes, likely do not need to.

Last edited:
Compared to all other Stoops classes this one actually turned out as one of the better ones if you include the transfer portal. We was anywhere from 8th to 18th with our transfer portal class. So if you factor that in with our 31 best class nationally, that was pretty good. Here are Stoops ranked classes since he has been here.

2013 34th nationally and 13th in the conference
2014 22 (10)
2015 38 (13)
2016 34 (12)
2017 30 (11)
2018 37 (11)
2019 34 (12)
2020 25 (9)
2021 34 (12)
2022 11 (4)
2023 31 (12)

One thing this shows is that we can compete pretty well in the SEC even with one of the worst recruiting classes in the conference year in and year out. With a couple more good recruiters on board now maybe we can start closing that gap even more.
We ended up 5th in the SEC for transfer portal, on TOS. With 19 schollies for freshmen and 6 for transfers, we can say that 25%+ of our recruiting effort goes into the portal.

Bama and UGA have not relied upon the portal as much, and with annual Top 5 classes, likely do not need to.
The transfer portal has put recruitment of hs football players in a different perspective, maybe forever. Now that players can transfer once without sitting for a year, every player is potentially a free agent. If a program (like GA) can consistently fill all of its roster needs through recruitment of hs players, then it will inevitably "recruit over" some of its returning players and those guys can easily leave through the portal without skipping a beat. But if a program cannot fill all of its roster needs with hs recruits, then it can fill its needs through the portal. Either way, we can no longer say for sure that recruitment of hs players is the program's foundation, since some coaches are building or augmenting their program's foundation by using the portal. It takes the pressure off a coach so he doesn't necessarily have to win as many key recruiting battles. The portal is not really a backup plan. In some cases, the portal can be the method of choice. For 2023, for example, Coach Stoops has primarily rebuilt his offensive roster through the portal.

The transfer portal has put recruitment of hs football players in a different perspective, maybe forever.
True.

2022/3 was the first season that a team with less than 50% Blue Chips (4 and 5 Star) HS recruits won a BCS/or Play Off game.

TCU had 17 former HS Blue Chips, about half of what UK will field in 2023, but had stocked its roster with proven transfers, the majority of whom had not achieved 4 or 5 Star status in high school, but fully developed in college.

Yes, TCU got smashed by UGA, but their victory over Michigan in the opening game of the playoffs was historic, and based on 26 years of BCS/Playoff history, it was also as statistically unlikely as a Number 16 basketball seed beating a Number 1 basketball seed, which has also happened only once, IIRC.

Hence, the portal might just prove to be a bit of an equalizer in the long term.

Bama has relied on it a good bit, they had at least 3 starters on offense and at least 1 on defense. Could have been more but their RB, 1 WR and one OL were transfers and Toa'Toa' on defense. They had some last year too, we had one in 21, but none that started and only 1 saw playing time.

Bama has relied on it a good bit, they had at least 3 starters on offense and at least 1 on defense. Could have been more but their RB, 1 WR and one OL were transfers and Toa'Toa' on defense. They had some last year too, we had one in 21, but none that started and only 1 saw playing time.
Well, they aren’t highly ranked in that category, this year.

How the heck they needed that many for ‘22 is a mystery, given their massively ranked classes the last 4/5 years.

Seems to speak to a lack of development of highly ranked true freshmen, . . . .

Well, they aren’t highly ranked in that category, this year.

How the heck they needed that many for ‘22 is a mystery, given their massively ranked classes the last 4/5 years.

Seems to speak to a lack of development of highly ranked true freshmen, . . . .

Their staff did a poor job of player development, what else could it be? A few of their highly ranked OL have hit the portal in the last couple of years. Saban has been turned down by at least 2 and rumored more for his OC. They could easily lose multiple games next year, I think LSU wins the west again. They return 15+ starters, including QB. Bama is like us and has no clue who their QB is.

Sounds like you may have three true frosh that may play a lot. The Wilson boys at LB and Edge and Freeling on the OL. Will the 6-6 340 guy play early?

Last edited:
Sounds like you may three true frosh that may play a lot. The Wilson boys at LB and Edge and Freeling on the OL. Will the 6-6 340 guy play early?

Not sure how much they will play, we return 7 starters on D and all of the backups. I do think the Wilson boys have a chance to get into the 2 deep, the big guy has a tough road, 8 DL return Freeling could get in the 2 deep, how much playing time that gets him is anybody's guess, but I think he could start as a soph.

We have added two more commitments this afternoon-

Michael Bernard, K, Clayton MO
Sebastian Scott, OL/DL, West Palm Beach, FL

Bernard is a 6'3" 200# transfer from Fordham. Big leg. Recruited by Coach Boulware.

Scott is a huge player who played little at Cardinal Newman hs in 2022. May have been injured.

I presume both are PWOs, but have not been able to confirm that yet.
Scott's film as a NT is very impressive. He's huge, not flabby, with a surprisingly quick first step, also uses his hands well. Curious as to his story because it sure seems he'd have offers. This guy looks as if he can contribute at some point. Would link film but being tech challenged....I don't know how.

Scott's film as a NT is very impressive. He's huge, not flabby, with a surprisingly quick first step, also uses his hands well. Curious as to his story because it sure seems he'd have offers. This guy looks as if he can contribute at some point. Would link film but being tech challenged....I don't know how.
Scott is 6-3 320. He is 'powerful, aggressive mentality and demands double teams, but still gets into the backfield a lot. A hard worker lifting weights and was offered by TN. Looks like a solid three star to me. How did we get him as a PW? Looks like he could be our next NG. Built like a NG. Maybe there are two SS's that play football in Florida?

Last edited:
Scott is 6-3 320. He is 'powerful, aggressive mentality and demands double teams, but still gets into the backfield a lot. A hard worker lifting weights and was offered by TN. Looks like a solid three star to me. How did we get him as a PW? Looks like he could be our next NG. Built like a NG. Maybe there are two SS's that play football in Florida?
Like I said, I'd sure like to know more about him. When I first saw him I thought he reminded me of somebody and I now remember who. Anybody here old enough to remember Bubba McCullom? He reminds me of big Bubba. No question, he's going to play at some point.

When players sign and submit scholarship papers, Coach Stoops issues a comment as he just did for Kendrick Gilbert. But Sebastian Scott is a PWO, so no descriptive announcement has been made by our coaches AFAIK.

I found this blurb in an online August 12 preview article in the Palm Beach Post-

"Currently listed at 6-3 355, a healthy Sebastian Scott also resurfaces at tackle after being benched by injury to just 5 games in 2021, down approximately 50 pounds from last year and looking 'dominant', [Coach] Daniels said."

I just watched several clips from Cardinal Newman hs football games. Scott was playing NT. He was throwing opposing offensive linemen around like rag dolls and making onehanded tackles on running backs. Against hs competition, he looked quick enough and overwhelmingly strong. However, the players across the line of scrimmage from him were smaller and thinner than Scott so these were physical mismatches. As a college player, he will have to work with a nutritionist and rework his body. He will be limited to NT. But he might very well be able to help Coach White's defense, because he can definitely fill the zero gap and occupy two blockers. I have no doubt about that. But he is no Deone Walker, because Walker's length and lateral quickness are elite.

I agree with BigBlueMan that it seems odd no school gave Scott a straight scholarship offer. Maybe his parents are independently wealthy and he was determined to play for UK. I seriously doubt that. But Scott missed a lot of games due to various injuries during his Cardinal Newman career, and he lost 50 pounds last year. So this is a superb job of scouting and evaluation, probably by Mike Stoops (who is connected in south FL).

Last edited:
When players sign and submit scholarship papers, Coach Stoops issues a comment as he just did for Kendrick Gilbert. But Sebastian Scott is a PWO, so no descriptive announcement has been made by our coaches AFAIK.

I found this blurb in an online August 12 preview article in the Palm Beach Post-

"Currently listed at 6-3 355, a healthy Sebastian Scott also resurfaces at tackle after being benched by injury to just 5 games in 2021, down approximately 50 pounds from last year and looking 'dominant', [Coach] Daniels said."

I just watched several clips from Cardinal Newman hs football games. Scott was playing NT. He was throwing opposing offensive linemen around like rag dolls and making onehanded tackles on running backs. Against hs competition, he looked quick enough and overwhelmingly strong. However, the players across the line of scrimmage from him were smaller and thinner than Scott so these were physical mismatches. As a college player, he will have to work with a nutritionist and rework his body. He will be limited to NT. But he might very well be able to help Coach White's defense, because he can definitely fill the zero gap and occupy two blockers. I have no doubt about that. But he is no Deone Walker, because Walker's length and lateral quickness are elite.

I agree with BigBlueMan that it seems odd no school gave Scott a straight scholarship offer. Maybe his parents are independently wealthy and he was determined to play for UK. I seriously doubt that. But Scott missed a lot of games due to various injuries during his Cardinal Newman career, and he lost 50 pounds last year. So this is a superb job of scouting and evaluation, probably by Mike Stoops (who is connected in south FL).
I'm really excited about this guy. A RS year and time in S&C will be essential but the guy's first step is amazing for someone his size. Good with his hands too. He's raw but if he can stay focused he can help. Bet Anwar Stewart's licking his chops!

ADVERTISEMENT