ADVERTISEMENT

State of 2020 recruiting

Circling back around to the subject of 2020 UK recruiting, the title of this thread.

Latest report on a competing nationally-based website is saying RJ Adams is down to UK, Miami, and NC State now. Earlier, Adams decommitted from PA St. Adams holds a long list of Power 5 offers, including at least five SEC offers. But it is getting late.

There was much speculation on this thread earlier about how many offensive linemen Stoops will sign in this class. Back at that point, we believed there were 22-23 scholarships in the class. Since then, Stanley Garner and Shawnkel Knight Goff have left the team, and Jordan Watkins decommitted. These developments created three more open scholarships, and it is certain that there will be more roster attrition over the winter and spring.

Here is our 2020 OL roster-

Seniors
Drake Jackson
Luke Fortner
Landon Young

Juniors
Austin Dotson
Darian Kinnard
Naasir Watkins

Sophomores
Quintin Wilson
Kenneth Horsey
Nick Lewis

RS freshmen
Eli Cox
Jake Pope

True freshmen (current commits)
Deondre Buford
Joshua Jones
John Young

Our 2020 starting five should be solid. But there has been an erosion of the quality depth because of light OL recruiting in UK’s 2017, 18, and 19 classes and the move of Marquan McCall to the DL. Three OL starters will graduate after the 2020 season. Stoops currently has three OL commits in this class, but could certainly use 1-2 more.

The uncommitted OL candidates currently appear to be-

RJ Adams
Jeremy Flax

Adams has already visited UK, and now has UK in his final three. There have been some recent rumors that UK might lead. Flax, a big juco, arrived in Lexington earlier today for his official visit. Would Stoops take both? Maybe. The signs are pointing that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: THE_OAK
Circling back around to the subject of 2020 UK recruiting, the title of this thread.

Latest report on a competing nationally-based website is saying RJ Adams is down to UK, Miami, and NC State now. Earlier, Adams decommitted from PA St. Adams holds a long list of Power 5 offers, including at least five SEC offers. But it is getting late.

There was much speculation on this thread earlier about how many offensive linemen Stoops will sign in this class. Back at that point, we believed there were 22-23 scholarships in the class. Since then, Stanley Garner and Shawnkel Knight Goff have left the team, and Jordan Watkins decommitted. These developments created three more open scholarships, and it is certain that there will be more roster attrition over the winter and spring.

Here is our 2020 OL roster-

Seniors
Drake Jackson
Luke Fortner
Landon Young

Juniors
Austin Dotson
Darian Kinnard
Naasir Watkins

Sophomores
Quintin Wilson
Kenneth Horsey
Nick Lewis

RS freshmen
Eli Cox
Jake Pope

True freshmen (current commits)
Deondre Buford
Joshua Jones
John Young

Our 2020 starting five should be solid. But there has been an erosion of the quality depth because of light OL recruiting in UK’s 2017, 18, and 19 classes and the move of Marquan McCall to the DL. Three OL starters will graduate after the 2020 season. Stoops currently has three OL commits in this class, but could certainly use 1-2 more.

The uncommitted OL candidates currently appear to be-

RJ Adams
Jeremy Flax

Adams has already visited UK, and now has UK in his final three. There have been some recent rumors that UK might lead. Flax, a big juco, arrived in Lexington earlier today for his official visit. Would Stoops take both? Maybe. The signs are pointing that way.

Flax is actually visiting Arizona this weekend and not UK. He is scheduled to officially visit Maryland on 12/6. I do not see him at UK at this time. I do think UK signs RJ Adams as its final OL for this class.

Reactions: zcats and THE_OAK
Flax is actually visiting Arizona this weekend and not UK. He is scheduled to officially visit Maryland on 12/6. I do not see him at UK at this time. I do think UK signs RJ Adams as its final OL for this class.
That certainly changed quickly. If Flax didn’t show in Lexington this weekend, I surmise that our coaches cancelled his visit - which suggests to me that they are confident about Adams. Also, our coaches must like John Young a lot.

SKG left the team?? When did that happen?
Couple of weeks ago. Said he is tired of football and just wants to be a student going forward. There have been some rumors that he wants to transfer to UL and get back into football. I have no idea if that is true. But he got buried on UK’s depth chart behind other young LBs, and took an easier path.

You cannot have enough quality o linemen. Hope we get both of them.
Three players on our projected 2020 starting OL will be seniors. So our 2021 OL will be a rebuilding project, and it seems this is the year to get ready for that rebuild. So far, we have the makings of a good OL class. But we need more offensive linemen with significant upside.

Reactions: JASUN74
Couple of weeks ago. Said he is tired of football and just wants to be a student going forward. There have been some rumors that he wants to transfer to UL and get back into football. I have no idea if that is true. But he got buried on UK’s depth chart behind other young LBs, and took an easier path.
Thank you. Best wishes to him. Hope he doesn't play at U6.

I didn’t hear anything I was just curious what happened causing a 4 star true freshman to decide to transfer. We always get the value from other prospects even when we miss on 4 star guys like Garner. Dodson and MJ haven’t played much but both looked very good in limited action I really like Dodson’s length and instincts.

I didn’t hear anything I was just curious what happened causing a 4 star true freshman to decide to transfer. We always get the value from other prospects even when we miss on 4 star guys like Garner. Dodson and MJ haven’t played much but both looked very good in limited action I really like Dodson’s length and instincts.
Garner was not a true freshman. Eleven players can play at a time, but there are more than seven times that many players on an NCAA team's roster. As we know, playing time is won in practice. Some players advance faster than others. Garner and Knight Goff fell behind and gave up. Not the first time it has happened, and won't be the last.

Here is a look ahead at the secondary.

2020 UK DBs

seniors
Brandin Echols
Quandre Mosely
Davonte Robinson

juniors
Cedrick Dort
Tyrell Ajian
Yusuf Corker

sophomores
Jamari Brown

RS freshmen
MJ Devonshire
Jalen Geiger
Taj Dodson
Moses Douglass

True freshmen
Andru Phillips
Carrington Valentine
Rickey Hyatt

Uncommitted prospects with UK offers
Joel Williams
Ronald Williams
Vito Tisdale

Reactions: jauk11
NOT even close to what he said.

I don't care if he goes to U6 or not, if he does I hope his well-being is just fine.

But hope his well-being gets knocked on it's ass when he lines up against our OL
Our OL is one of the key reasons our football program has been on an upward trajectory.

After this season, we lose Stenberg and Wolfe.

After the 2020 season, we will lose Jackson, Fortner, and Young.

After the 2021 season, we will lose Kinnard, Watkins, and Dotson.

In the last couple of classes, our coaches have brought in a small number of interesting developmental OL prospects but not impact players. This year's commits are probably more interesting if we are being honest, and the numbers are on the increase. The latter is necessary to maintain sufficient overall OL roster numbers in the future.

When the current commits are included, we have adequate numbers and quality at OG. If RJ Adams comes on board, our OG roster takes another step forward.

Presumably, Quintin Wilson is being groomed as Drake Jackson's successor at C. Wilson is a good football player.

My question focuses on OT. Kinnard and L. Young are high upside players. Watkins will graduate with Kinnard after 2021.

The future at OT appears to be J. Young, Lewis, Pope, and possibly Buford. J. Young looks like a keeper. He has a great frame and motor. Lewis is very interesting, but I see him as a "boom or bust" type of developmental project. If Lewis makes it as an SEC OT, we will have a great pair of edge blockers to replace our current starters and carry on the positive momentum on our OL. If Lewis doesn't pan out, then Buford or Pope will have to, or else the next man up will have to be signed in our 2021 class. That's asking a lot, so I surmise our coaches like Lewis, Pope, and Buford.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
He has said that he will announce on 12/18, but as things stand today, I would not trade UK's position with anyone else.
If Adams is truly down to UK, Miami, and NC St, as was recently reported, then the only thing I can see to worry about is that he still has a visit scheduled to Raleigh in early December. I doubt he would pick NC St over UK, but getting the final visit is usually a strong advantage. Adams has been very thorough with his decision process. The opportunity at UK is clear, with Stenberg and Wolfe graduating this year and then Fortner graduating next year. UK produced an All American OG in 2018. It's the SEC. What's not to like? Like you said, our chances look good.

Last edited:
Why would that bother you in the least if that's what he wants? How does that hurt you?
Lighten up, good grief man.

As yoshi said, anything that helps U6, im not really for it. Also, i think very little of the quality of person at u6. Not knocking the young man, just going off of decades of experience.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
According to KSR we have another 5 star DT visiting today. 6’5 295 kid named Hunter I believe. I am getting old and if we could get several of these high rated guys to commit today or soon I would be one happy camper. Never in my lifetime did I think we would recruit like this. Just want to keep it going. Rock or Rembrandt do you all know about this kid?

According to KSR we have another 5 star DT visiting today. 6’5 295 kid named Hunter I believe. I am getting old and if we could get several of these high rated guys to commit today or soon I would be one happy camper. Never in my lifetime did I think we would recruit like this. Just want to keep it going. Rock or Rembrandt do you all know about this kid?
Lee Hunter is a 2021 DL prospect from Eight Mile, AL.

Will it be hard to get this kid from AL ?

Of course it will. Auburn leads for him right now, but obviously it's awesome just getting a kid like this on campus. It will be an uphill battle, but this staff at least has Kentucky in a position to be a legit option for guys like this.

Reactions: westerncat
Would love to see UK pull these type of players to come here. They could get to play more and earlier at UK.

We (Bama) are the favorite for him, with Auburn in 2nd, but anything can happen. The Auburn CB picks are largely meaningless because Auburn offers in-state kids much earlier than Saban does, as they can't afford to be as picky as Saban can, which often results in Auburn mods entering CB picks for in-state prospects before their junior seasons. All but 1 of the CB picks were before Saban offered him and he has been to Tuscaloosa at least 3 times this season.

Last edited:
He is a 2021 prospect. It is hard to sign any player with multiple Power 5 and SEC offers. We don't currently have any 2021 commits, and it might be months before we do. Our first 2020 commit was John Young, an instate prospect, last April 28.

Reactions: westerncat
We (Bama) are the favorite for him, with Auburn in 2nd, but anything can happen. The Auburn CB picks are largely meaningless because Auburn offers in-state kids much earlier than Saban does, as they can't afford to be as picky as Saban can, which often results in Auburn mods entering CB picks for in-state prospects before their junior seasons. All but 1 of the CB picks were before Saban offered him and he has been to Tuscaloosa at least 3 times this season.
With very few exceptions, it is too early to make a good guess where any 2021 prospects will eventually sign. I have been a UK fan all my life, and Stoops is recruiting better than ever before. But at this point, I wouldn't name more than 2-3 players for whom I honestly have a level of confidence to end up in our 2021 class. May and June are always full of recruiting surprises.

NOT even close to what he said.

I don't care if he goes to U6 or not, if he does I hope his well-being is just fine.

But hope his well-being gets knocked on it's ass when he lines up against our OL
I didn't say what he said. I implied his view is ignorant- which it is. I agree with the rest here.

Lighten up, good grief man.

As yoshi said, anything that helps U6, im not really for it. Also, i think very little of the quality of person at u6. Not knocking the young man, just going off of decades of experience.
Horse crap. Nothing wrong with people that attend LV & get an education. You & he let your emotions overwhelm you. Sad.

Horse crap. Nothing wrong with people that attend LV & get an education. You & he let your emotions overwhelm you. Sad.
:flush:
Youre the one starting in w the emotion. I simply hope he doesnt go to ul. There are a lot if other schools he could go to. Also, if he justs wants to be a student, thats cool too. My statement had zero emotion. You must either be cheering for ul or a relative of his. Good grief.

Let's try to focus on UK's 2020 recruiting class, the designated subject of this thread.

Sixteen current UK verbals-

Beau Allen, QB
Samuel Anaele, DL
Kalil Branham, WR
Deondre Buford, OL
Izayah Cummings, WR
Torrance Davis, RB
Rickey Hyatt, DB
D'Eryk Jackson, LB
Joshua Jones, OL
Jutahn McClain, RB
Andru Phillips, DB
Justin Rogers, DL
Tre'Vonn Rybka, DL
Earnest Sanders, WR
Carrington Valentine, DB
John Young, OL

With recent attrition, there are currently 74 scholarship players on UK's roster. Nine are seniors. As always, there will be more roster attrition over the winter and spring. I expect Coach Stoops to sign 24-25 players.

Here are some uncommitted players with UK scholarship offers and known current interest in UK-

RJ Adams, OL
Damien Alford, WR
Tyler Baron, DL
Devyn Curtis, LB
Michael Drennen, RB
Jeremy Flax, OL
Josiah Hayes, DL
Sean Martin, DL
Octavious Oxendine, DL
Vito Tisdale, DB
Joel Williams, DB
Ronald Williams, DB

Here are two players currently committed to other teams, with recent or upcoming visits scheduled to Lexington-

Jimmy Calloway, ATH (TN)
Eric Taylor, DL (LSU)

Recruiting is one of the most fluid activities in sports, and one of the quickest to change. While acknowledging that I am biased, I think we have to regard UK as the current favorite to sign Hayes, Oxendine, Tisdale, and J. Williams. It is also tempting to include Adams and Alford in this group, as I like our chances with both as things currently stand. All of this could change on a dime, but Stoops appears to be headed toward UK's best class in decades.

Last edited:
Let's try to focus on UK's 2020 recruiting class, the designated subject of this thread.

Sixteen current UK verbals-

Beau Allen, QB
Samuel Anaele, DL
Kalil Branham, WR
Deondre Buford, OL
Izayah Cummings, WR
Torrance Davis, RB
Rickey Hyatt, DB
D'Eryk Jackson, LB
Joshua Jones, OL
Jutahn McClain, RB
Andru Phillips, DB
Justin Rogers, DL
Tre'Vonn Rybka, DL
Earnest Sanders, WR
Carrington Valentine, DB
John Young, OL

With recent attrition, there are currently 74 scholarship players on UK's roster. Nine are seniors. As always, there will be more roster attrition over the winter and spring. I expect Coach Stoops to sign 24-25 players.

Here are some uncommitted players with UK scholarship offers and known current interest in UK-

RJ Adams, OL
Damien Alford, WR
Tyler Baron, DL
Devyn Curtis, LB
Michael Drennen, RB
Jeremy Flax, OL
Josiah Hayes, DL
Sean Martin, DL
Octavious Oxendine, DL
Vito Tisdale, DB
Joel Williams, DB
Ronald Williams, DB

Here are two players currently committed to other teams, with recent or upcoming visits scheduled to Lexington-

Jimmy Calloway, ATH (TN)
Eric Taylor, DL (LSU)

Recruiting is one of the most fluid activities in sports, and one of the quickest to change. While acknowledging that I am biased, I think we have to regard UK as the current favorite to sign Hayes, Oxendine, Tisdale, and J. Williams. It is also tempting to include Adams and Alford in this group, as I like our chances as things currently stand. All of this could change on a dime, but Stoops appears to be headed toward UK's best class in decades.

Obviously this would be the best class in decades if we got three or five of those guys but out of everyone there I think Drennen has to be number one priority, from what I've read USC has the best chance of flipping him. His dad was on a rivals podcast and his Mom wants him to go to OSU to stay close to him which is a boost for us because UK is way closer than USC and his dad said it would be hard to not be able to go to every game because he is so far away when he was talking about Stanford. I think this the biggest need because we didn't get Wandale and we are losing Lynn this year or next, we do not have a guy who can create something out of nothing and be our main focal point. When you have a team that relies on killing the clock and not giving up many points you need someone who can break 6 huge plays a year to win those small scoring games. After that priority should be RJ because our O-Line is gonna need a lot of help soon. Joel Williams probably won't go to Alabama because they want Ronald Williams the Juco instead but he did really like his visit to Auburn and he could always stay home at LSU. Tennessee seems very confident in getting Ox and Baron but I could see them getting neither, I think Baron goes to OSU because there are reports he doesn't want to stay close to home and they have recruited him a lot recently and I think we have recruited Ox enough that he should come here. I would love Hayes it's just a battle between us and Mississippi and they are still his favorite but he has a visit in December so you have to win him there. Anyway I think if you get Baron, Hayes or Drennen and 3-4 of the other guys that is a perfect end to this class

Obviously this would be the best class in decades if we got three or five of those guys but out of everyone there I think Drennen has to be number one priority, from what I've read USC has the best chance of flipping him. His dad was on a rivals podcast and his Mom wants him to go to OSU to stay close to him which is a boost for us because UK is way closer than USC and his dad said it would be hard to not be able to go to every game because he is so far away when he was talking about Stanford. I think this the biggest need because we didn't get Wandale and we are losing Lynn this year or next, we do not have a guy who can create something out of nothing and be our main focal point. When you have a team that relies on killing the clock and not giving up many points you need someone who can break 6 huge plays a year to win those small scoring games. After that priority should be RJ because our O-Line is gonna need a lot of help soon. Joel Williams probably won't go to Alabama because they want Ronald Williams the Juco instead but he did really like his visit to Auburn and he could always stay home at LSU. Tennessee seems very confident in getting Ox and Baron but I could see them getting neither, I think Baron goes to OSU because there are reports he doesn't want to stay close to home and they have recruited him a lot recently and I think we have recruited Ox enough that he should come here. I would love Hayes it's just a battle between us and Mississippi and they are still his favorite but he has a visit in December so you have to win him there. Anyway I think if you get Baron, Hayes or Drennen and 3-4 of the other guys that is a perfect end to this class
If Drennen wants to play for UK, he has had his chances. All recent reports say he is in no hurry to commit, and won't until February. I have never been convinced UK was ever the leader for Drennen. I have always believed it is an uphill battle for UK with Drennen, but I don't think this keeps Stoops from signing an unprecedented UK class. If we somehow get Drennen, so much the better.

FWIW, the rumor going around Lexington is that Joel Williams and Vito Tisdale are the two "silent verbals" recently mentioned by Vince Marrow. I have no idea if that is the case, but it would not surprise me. Josiah Hayes' only currently-scheduled campus visit is to Lexington, so you have to like our chances if his academics are in order. Octavious Oxendine is personally being recruited by Vince Marrow, and UK has received the recent crystal ball predictions for whatever that is worth. RJ Adams is apparently deciding between UK and NC St. UK has the final visit for Damien Alford next month. If Stoops hangs onto his 16 current commits, and if Alford, Adams, Oxendine, Hayes, Tisdale, and Williams are added, that is the foundation for an impact class that would solidify our football program as an SEC East contender for years to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: jauk11 and jwsiegel
FWIW, I feel very, very good about about three of the guys mentioned in Rembrandt's post above. Those three are Vito Tisdale, RJ Adams and Joel Williams. I will be quite surprised if those three end up anywhere but Kentucky.

I am less confident to varying degrees on the following: Drennen, Baron, Oxendine and Eric Taylor. However, I feel the chance is very real that UK may end up with all four.

Lastly, Jimmy Calloway has reportedly visited Lexington for Kentucky's last two home games. That obviously shows that interest is very mutual between he and UK. What is not certain is, would or can UK take both he and Drennen? Drennen has spoken many times that UK and Coach Marrow gave him his first offer his Freshman year and he has the longest standing relationship with Marrow/Stoops of any other coach. Therefore, I think this plays out in n UK's favor in the end. But....again, he will not sign until February, so that I the one stickler with him.

My previous paragraph was supposed to be my last, but I wanted to add the following. The two guys that I km now the least about at this point are Damien Alford and Josaih Hayes, so their upcoming visits and what happens with other prospects may tell the tale with them.

On Hayes, I am inclined to guess that he stays in Mississippi (most Mississippi kids do and he was a one time Ole Miss commit.) Coach Sumrall has done a great recruiting job getting him to visit, so we will see where it goes from there. Damien Alford, one of his main advisors, coaches etc is the same person who has been instrumental in Samuel Anaele's career and recruitment, so that is something to be aware of. Regardless, this will be the best recruiting class in UK history, or at least since the internet age began.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT