ADVERTISEMENT

Starting to think Fox goes at 3

Dec 2, 2003
I don't think the Celts will want to give max money to a 5'9" PG who will be 29 in 2018 but beyond that what doesn't Fox do well? He has Wall like end to end speed and already has a better mid range game than Wall.

Add in his personality, defense, length, and Ainge's willingness to go against the grain with his selection of Jaylen Brown last year which leads me to this conclusion. Welcome to Beantown De'Aaron!

Disclaimer: I also predicted Billy D to IU so.....

It will be Jackson.
And if not Jackson, Tatum.

I'd put Fox third on their big board at #3.

But I also think they're trying hard to package assets to get Pail George.

I do realize all the draft experts are predicting JJ to Boston but Ainge's comment that the guy they wanted at 1 will most likely be there at 3 just makes me think he's targeting someone other than Jackson.

I also think they're going to go after George or Hayward as a FA instead of another one and done wing like Jackson.

And again I believe Fox is just too damn good to pass up. Just too good.

Reactions: TM2013
I don't think the Celts will want to give max money to a 5'9" PG who will be 29 in 2018 but beyond that what doesn't Fox do well? He has Wall like end to end speed and already has a better mid range game than Wall.

Add in his personality, defense, length, and Ainge's willingness to go against the grain with his selection of Jaylen Brown last year which leads me to this conclusion. Welcome to Beantown De'Aaron!

Disclaimer: I also predicted Billy D to IU so.....

29 isn't THAT old. Feasibly he could
Still have 3-5 good years left. And maybe a couple "ok" years after that ?

Or- fox and him could Co-exist together imo

Seems odd to go with Jackson when he is a similar player as Jaylen Brown, who they just drafted last season.

Boston’s in a weird position, in that they fully know they have no real shot at Cleveland, regardless of what they do in the draft. I think Ainge is drafting for the Lebron declination years, be that by LeBron merely aging or leaving for the western conference in a year.

Ainge is apparently stockpiling the best players available, regardless of positional need. I like it. Getting Brown and probably Jackson are both luxury picks that the Nets/Celtics couldn’t have foreseen years ago when they made that trade. Loading up on high ceiling guys and hoping a few of them pan out (they will have a lottery pick next year as well) helps them both now and later.

29 isn't THAT old. Feasibly he could
Still have 3-5 good years left. And maybe a couple "ok" years after that ?

Or- fox and him could Co-exist together imo

Well they already gave Horford a max deal and they would have to give Hayward or George one as well. And I understand just how outstanding Thomas' season was but there was no one on that roster to score. I like Thomas but I don't think you win a title with him and I think Ainge realizes that as well.

Rumblings Boston loves Tatum. Then that will push Jackson to Phoenix, and Fox lands in Sacramento, unfortunately. I hope the OP is right though. Would much rather have Fox in Boston than Sacramento.

Reactions: LeonThe Camel
Aren't reports coming out that Boston is trying to move that 3rd overall and future 1st round pick? I wouldn't be shocked if Boston shops both to grab Butler or PG.

If they were going point guard, they'd have stayed at 1 for Fultz.

I think Tatum is the pick at 3, but we'll see. Not convinced Boston is keeping the pick and not just trying to oversell the value at 3 with all the "guy we would have taken at 1" talk.
That's my thinking. Fultz' scoring ability as a combo guard would make the most sense for Boston, assuming they're sticking with Thomas. And they know they ain't getting him at 3. So that makes me think their "we still think we'll get the guy we would have taken first at #3" comment was referring to a scoring forward like Jackson or Tatum.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Had no clue Thomas was that old already. Would much rather see Fox go to the Celtics than the Suns or shitty ass Sacramento.

Reactions: MWes11
Boston has 2 combo guards already in Smart and Rozier. Smart also plays the SF spot. Any trade will include either Crowder or Smart. Brown while technically a SF is being groomed as a 2G/SF which is not much different in their system.

With how good our recruits are.. we need to really pull for them to avoid some teams.. for instance, now that Cousins is off Sacramento.. that's one of the teams I hope no Kentucky player has to play for. Brooklyn would be another.

I am thinking Fox to Suns at #4. They always draft UK guards, and what will stop them from doing it again. I am hopeful that they will be able to finally trade Bledsoe and Knight and have a three-guard rotation of ex-UK players. this is just wishful thinking, because I DO NOT want to see Fox in Sac Town.

Reactions: UKUGA
Fox/ball + future 1st is better than Fultz, IMO.

I still think this is all so the Celtics can move on a big name free agent. These picks are going to some team in exchange for a superstar.

Reactions: UK_fan_41102
Maybe the Celtics see Fox and a future #1 > Fultz? They still get a point guard, and add a valuable draft pick that can be used in a trade.

I don't think they want a point guard though. They have an abundance at that position already. They're either looking for a wing scorer or to stockpile picks to trade for a star.

It's also possible that they know the Bulls prefer a certain player (Tatum? Jackson?) and moved back to get him so they can flip that pick for Butler.

Ideally, I think they want to try and land Butler and Hayward. Or that should be the plan, anyway. Move Brown and Rozier/Smart, move the third pick, sign Hayward, then still be left with the Nets 1st in '18 and the picks they acquired in the Philly trade.

I'd also keep an eye on Blake Griffin. Might be an interior piece the Celtics are looking for, and they have the chips to get it done.

ALSO PORZINGIS

Dear God, if he's available and the Lakers let him go to the Celtics and then draft Lonzo, I'm done. I'll be a T-Wolves fan for a decade. Not a player on our roster I wouldn't trade for Porzingis.

I don't think they want a point guard though. They have an abundance at that position already. They're either looking for a wing scorer or to stockpile picks to trade for a star.

It's also possible that they know the Bulls prefer a certain player (Tatum? Jackson?) and moved back to get him so they can flip that pick for Butler.

Ideally, I think they want to try and land Butler and Hayward. Or that should be the plan, anyway. Move Brown and Rozier/Smart, move the third pick, sign Hayward, then still be left with the Nets 1st in '18 and the picks they acquired in the Philly trade.

I'd also keep an eye on Blake Griffin. Might be an interior piece the Celtics are looking for, and they have the chips to get it done.

They have the potential for seven #1 picks over the next 3 years, so they're definitely going to be making a huge trade sometime.

And for the record I don't think Lonzo to LA is a foregone conclusion. Draft night is going to be a freaking blast. Especially when DF goes to Boston.

Bulls are also said to be interested in Jackson.

Bulls have Butler. Butler perhaps a safer acquisition for the Celtics than George, who is telling people he plans to sign with LA next summer.

Celtics reportedly have Tatum graded as the #1 player in this draft. That's why they moved down. They knew they could get him for less money at #3. They feel confident that the Lakers (or whoever they trade their pick to) will take Ball, Fox, or Jackson. I do think they are listening to offers.

It would not shock me to see them take Fox at #3 though, especially if Tatum goes at 2. Jackson hasn't worked out for them and they have never used a first round pick on a guy that hasn't worked out for them. I'm not sure Fox has either though.

After what John Wall and Kyrie Irving did to them in the playoffs they may think they need a fast PG who can defend. They're not getting anyone in the draft who can defend LeBron or Love. But all indications I've seen are that Ainge loves Tatum and some in the Celtics organization think he has the potential to be another Paul Pierce.

ADVERTISEMENT