ADVERTISEMENT

St. Pete - Clearwater Beach?

Any suggestions on a good beach front stay?

House? Condo? Hotel? Etc........

The Don Carlo. in St Pete.

Loews_Don_CeSar_Hotel_Overview.jpg

I've had good luck with condos there from the home away site. 2-3 bedroom condo can be rented for the same price as a hotel room. The last one I rented was next door to a new resort, less than a block from the beach.

We stayed at the Marriott on Treasure Island last year. If we go back, we will stay there again or Don Cesar. Marriott was nice and had a great breakfast included. With two little kids, it was perfect.

Any suggestions on a good beach front stay?

House? Condo? Hotel? Etc........

And where not to go!
Depends on your price limits. Clearwater beach has the most things going on and it's all within walking distance. The Charthouse in Clearwater beach is a nice place to stay on a budget. It's not on the beach however. Bilmar is also a nice place that's a little further south in St Pete Beach. Any of the places in Passe Grille if you are looking for something more remote. If you are looking for something fancier then that's a whole new list of places.

As far as things to see that is a really large list and I don't even know where to begin. I lived there for 10 years and probably haven't even seen half of it yet. As mentioned above Ft Desoto has to be on the list. Not only one of the best beaches in the US but a fully preserved pre civil war era fort. You still have tons of museums like Salvador Dali, MOSI and Heritage village. Several aquariums and more golf courses than you can count. Of course Innsbrook Golf course is the best. And by the way it's probably one of the best places to stay as well. Tons of beaches, shops and restaurants of all sorts. And you even have a great selection of amusement parks. Bush Gardens is a top notch park in Tampa and you have Disney, Sea World and Universal Studios in Orlando.

As far as where not to go, anywhere in East Tampa and that includes the popular Ybor City. Ybor city is really popular with 20 somethings but if you lived there and seen what I've seen you would never go there. It is settled in the midst of one of the worst crack neighborhoods in all of Florida. There are places near Ybor that even the cops don't go. You are not safe there no matter how Mardi Gras it might look from a distance.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
Depends on your price limits. Clearwater beach has the most things going on and it's all within walking distance. The Charthouse in Clearwater beach is a nice place to stay on a budget. It's not on the beach however. Bilmar is also a nice place that's a little further south in St Pete Beach. Any of the places in Passe Grille if you are looking for something more remote. If you are looking for something fancier then that's a whole new list of places.

As far as things to see that is a really large list and I don't even know where to begin. I lived there for 10 years and probably haven't even seen half of it yet. As mentioned above Ft Desoto has to be on the list. Not only one of the best beaches in the US but a fully preserved pre civil war era fort. You still have tons of museums like Salvador Dali, MOSI and Heritage village. Several aquariums and more golf courses than you can count. Of course Innsbrook Golf course is the best. And by the way it's probably one of the best places to stay as well. Tons of beaches, shops and restaurants of all sorts. And you even have a great selection of amusement parks. Bush Gardens is a top notch park in Tampa and you have Disney, Sea World and Universal Studios in Orlando.

As far as where not to go, anywhere in East Tampa and that includes the popular Ybor City. Ybor city is really popular with 20 somethings but if you lived there and seen what I've seen you would never go there. It is settled in the midst of one of the worst crack neighborhoods in all of Florida. There are places near Ybor that even the cops don't go. You are not safe there no matter how Mardi Gras it might look from a distance.
Busch Gardens is surrounded by ghetto. I lived near 56th and Busch. Straight up hood.
also agree on YC. A stones throw from College Hill.

Thanks for all of the responses. It's helpful.

What I meant was, where not to waste my time. Anywhere that disappointed etc....

Thanks again.

Ha, literally started planning a trip to Clearwater to visit some family. I was told, in a half joking but not half joking manner, to stay at the "Sta 'n Pla" motel.

Ha, literally started planning a trip to Clearwater to visit some family. I was told, in a half joking but not half joking manner, to stay at the "Sta 'n Pla" motel.

Sta 'n Play in Clearwater beach is not that bad a choice. It's not fancy by any means, it's the definition of a cheap hotel but it's as cheap as you can get in a great area. It's a short 2 block walk to the beach and it's surrounded by restaurants and shops. Not at the top of the recommendation list for most people but is ideal for college students on spring break.

I'm pretty much forever a college student on Spring break.. so I'm fine with it hahaha. I'll have to bring this thread back up when the trip gets closer.

I will never understand people asking about places in Florida other than Miami. In fact I don't understand why anyone would want to visit Florida except for Miami.

Better drugs, whores, night clubs, food, and fun in Miami. And basically everyone is naked.

South Beach you dumb people.
Besides central Florida, there's no place I'd rather not go than Miami. I mean, the food and stuff in south beach is good but it's still surrounded by Miami.

Reactions: Nubb16
Checking back in on this thread. Almost ready to book the trip. Originally we were looking at the Don CeSar and the Kimpton which are within a block or two of each other. But the travel guy we are using (family friend) got us a good deal at the Sheraton Sand Key resort. However, that's about 40 min drive north.

My question is, what's the best area to be in? Kimpton has a great rooftop bar and the Don CeSar also has great bars and food. But is that area just OK? We want to be on the water but close to a good restaurant/bar area. We'd forgo the best looking beach if it means were far from things to do.

Any help is appreciated.

I will never understand people asking about places in Florida other than Miami. In fact I don't understand why anyone would want to visit Florida except for Miami.

Better drugs, whores, night clubs, food, and fun in Miami. And basically everyone is naked.

South Beach you dumb people.
Some of us have families that we travel with.

Checking back in on this thread. Almost ready to book the trip. Originally we were looking at the Don CeSar and the Kimpton which are within a block or two of each other. But the travel guy we are using (family friend) got us a good deal at the Sheraton Sand Key resort. However, that's about 40 min drive north.

My question is, what's the best area to be in? Kimpton has a great rooftop bar and the Don CeSar also has great bars and food. But is that area just OK? We want to be on the water but close to a good restaurant/bar area. We'd forgo the best looking beach if it means were far from things to do.

Any help is appreciated.

Go to the central ave area near Tampa Bay Ray stadium. Got rows of bars and eats. Was just over there the other day. Google Cycle Brewery or Greenbench Brewery and you'll have your landmarks.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
If you are going to Clearwater with family, I would rent a condo. Much more space than a hotel for the same price. A few years ago, I stayed in a 2 br next door to the Opal Sands.

Any help is appreciated.

Anna Marie Island Moose Lodge

Go to the central ave area near Tampa Bay Ray stadium. Got rows of bars and eats. Was just over there the other day. Google Cycle Brewery or Greenbench Brewery and you'll have your landmarks.

If you are going to Clearwater with family, I would rent a condo. Much more space than a hotel for the same price. A few years ago, I stayed in a 2 br next door to the Opal Sands.

Anna Marie Island Moose Lodge

Wyndham Grand in Clearwater is the easy choice here

Awesome info, guys. And you too, Willy, whatever you are.

Not a family trip, per se.. This is a trip with my Dad and I to visit an older brother he has. We'll probably meet up with some family down there at some point. But we're planning a great steak dinner one night, and some drinks.. another night the 3 of us will go out, explore (Maybe a tampa Bay rays game?), and maybe the 3rd night we'll be by the pool at at a cousins house in Tampa. Not really a kids event, all adults for the most part.

Going to google some of these places. We definitely want to stay on the beach, even if Tampa has the better bars and restaurants.. Is that whole strip, going from the Don Cesar to the Sheraton up the coast, more or less the same?

So I guess what I'm realizing is you have the Don/Kimpton in St. Pete and the Sheraton/SandPearl in Clearwater.. and those two places it seems are a good 45 min away from each other. Which area is better?

Lineski, no prob.

May even try the Vinoy in st. Pete. Oldest hotel there with lots of history and in plenty of walking distance. It's interior is pretty awesome for such an old hotel. Place is always packed too

Lineski, no prob.

May even try the Vinoy in st. Pete. Oldest hotel there with lots of history and in plenty of walking distance. It's interior is pretty awesome for such an old hotel. Place is always packed too
Willy is an Ybor dude. We ate smoked but thole on Thur

Reactions: Willy4UK
Day 2 in Clearwater. .Having a blast.

Saw a Kentucky Fan already and made come convo. The Beachcomber had some excellent food.. Steaks and oysters and sea bass and bourbon. People are great.

.. But this heat.. God damn.

ADVERTISEMENT