ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game Comments

But what I saw was not King subbing in on third down for Benny but we’d try rotating him full series to give Benny a rest which didn’t work out so well.

Regardless It is a tall order for Benny to run such a high percentage of snaps that he did last year and we’d probably be better if we can find a better rb rotation that we had two years ago is all I’m saying. Rose may give us a better rb partner them King IMO

Because we didn’t have an option. Rose wasn’t ready last yr. hopefully that changes real soon. I’d love to see Snell/Rose tear apart another team.

Last edited:
...Plus guys gotta make contested catches down field. Very rarely are you going to run wide open most long gains are contested plays.
A very good point. Unless there is just a flat out bust in coverage it is usually pretty difficult to get "separation" on deep routes.

I was at UofL's R/W game Friday night and have only watched the 1st half of the B/W game. Neither Fitzgerald or Dawkins will be confused with Deon Branch but both made several highly contested catches. At least so far I have not really seen that in the B/W game.

Peace

Last edited:
A very good point. Unless there is just a flat out bust in coverage it is usually pretty difficult to get "separation" on deep routes.

I was at UofL's R/W game Friday night and have only watched the 1st half of the B/W game. Neither Fitzgerald or Dawkins will be confused with Deon Branch but both made several several highly contested catches. At least so far I have not really seen that in the B/W game.

Peace
No matter what my personal opinions of Bobby Petrino are, anyone that doubts his brilliance in building an offense is whistling in the dark. Petrinos stumbling block has historically seemed to be recruiting for defense and being able to either hire or perhaps co exist with a defensive coordinator.
Now, sometimes that's just luck. Kids don't work out, etc. If I were a Cardinal fan, my concern this season would be how long the new DC would need to impliment, coach and maintain a switch to a 4-3 base ( which I have always liked better than the 3 down) when the returning players were recruited and trained in the 3 man set.

Of course, I guess if you average 49 a game it wont often matter.

The first game will show everyone quite a bit.

Thought the same thing ^^^. Got behind the defense a couple of times. Now if he can just work out the catching it part.

I was at UofL's R/W game Friday night and have only watched the 1st half of the B/W game. Neither Fitzgerald or Dawkins will be confused with Deon Branch but both made several highly contested catches. At least so far I have not really seen that in the B/W game.

Peace
Better in 2nd half as far as getting open and making plays. I think Baker Bowden tavin a very solid group of starters. I thought Zyaire Hughes looked super fast and Epps impressed me with his speed. All in all we should be able to score close to 30 ppg.

Reactions: jauk11
Better in 2nd half as far as getting open and making plays. I think Baker Bowden tavin a very solid group of starters. I thought Zyaire Hughes looked super fast and Epps impressed me with his speed. All in all we should be able to score close to 30 ppg.

I agree, and I think when you look at their ratings (yeah yeah, don't always mean that much) when you add in Conrad at TE this group comes closes to averaging four star as commits (probably could put four 5.8s on the field) while the BEST WR corp ever at UK (IMO) had the four top receivers in 07 that averaged just over a 5.3, lol.

And who ever even mentioned their backups when they were playing, maybe a backup got in the game after a long pass pattern or to gain experience once in a while, but even then they weren't targeted that much.

I don't understand athletes that spend a LOT of time working out to improve their bodies AND stamina but get tired so much. In high school my last two years I usually played every down unless it was a one sided game, and in almost all of the flag football games I played every down------and in most of them since I was the coach also if anyone tried to take me out I took my ball and went home, LOL.

And my workouts usually consisted of having another beer.

I agree, and I think when you look at their ratings (yeah yeah, don't always mean that much) when you add in Conrad at TE this group comes closes to averaging four star as commits (probably could put four 5.8s on the field) while the BEST WR corp ever at UK (IMO) had the four top receivers in 07 that averaged just over a 5.3, lol.

And who ever even mentioned their backups when they were playing, maybe a backup got in the game after a long pass pattern or to gain experience once in a while, but even then they weren't targeted that much.

I don't understand athletes that spend a LOT of time working out to improve their bodies AND stamina but get tired so much. In high school my last two years I usually played every down unless it was a one sided game, and in almost all of the flag football games I played every down------and in most of them since I was the coach also if anyone tried to take me out I took my ball and went home, LOL.

And my workouts usually consisted of having another beer.
Is that you Al Bundy!!:football::scream::joy::joy::sunglasses:[banana]

Is that you Al Bundy!!:football::scream::joy::joy::sunglasses:[banana]

Sorry it didn't meet your approval, but I can't imagine anything I could say that would, lol.

But seriously I have always wondered about all the talk about having to have so many backups and being able to rotate the best players you have in and out of the game because they can't recover between plays.

And by the way, I could care less if you believe anything I say, I know it is true and that is all that really matters.

I attended the game. Best player of the night was AJ Rose, with a breakout performance. Was impressed with assignment soundness from Gunnar Hoak, Lynn Bowden, Drake Jackson, Calvin Taylor, Kash Daniel, Davonte Robinson, Mike Edwards. Aside from Rose, other important positive surprises in the game came from Danny Clark, Zy'Aire Hughes, Mike Nesbitt, Stanley Garner. Garner is going to be a good player for us.

I haven't watched the whole game, but I have been mostly unimpressed with Wilson due to lack of accuracy.
Terry Wilson has been in Eddie Gran's offensive system for only a month. So I expected him to struggle in this game, and he did. Wilson's passing accuracy is going to be a challenge for Coach Hinshaw, but it's about decisions, setup, and pocket fundamentals. Therefore, fixable to 1 extent or another. I don't think we can tell anything about Wilson from this game, except for the fact that Hoak and Clark are ahead of him at this particular point. Wilson has a lot of upside. Hinshaw is a veteran coach, and it's still a long way to September.

Last edited:
Reactions: jauk11
Kash Daniel is lost, slow and not an upgrade from Love.
I could hardly disagree more. Succeeding as a Mike is about instincts and assignment soundness. Therefore experience is very important. Daniel was limited primarily to special teams because Love dominated playing time at Mike in 2017. Kash was primarily an offensive player in high school. Therefore Kash needs more defensive reps to reach his upside. But there is a reason why Kash received scholarship offers from 4 P5 schools. Kash is actually faster and more athletic than Love. Big, strong kid who can run. Once Kash gets some more experience, he will be an upgrade for us.

Reactions: lz
While I am not sure of the spring had by Duffy and Dom Williams, it appears getting Wilson, Square and Garner on campus a semester early will greatly benefit the Cats in the future.

Reactions: The-Hack and jauk11
Terry Wilson has been in Eddie Gran's offensive system for a month. I expected him to struggle in this game, and he did. Wilson's passing accuracy is going to be a challenge for Coach Hinshaw, but it's about decisions, setup, and pocket fundamentals. Therefore, fixable to 1 extent or another. I don't think we can tell anything about Wilson from this game, except for the fact that Hoak and Clark are ahead of him at this particular point. Wilson has a lot of upside. Hinshaw is a veteran coach, and it's still a long way to September.

UK is looking to have a top level defense in 18, a top level rushing attack, with that said I think UK's staff will go with the guy who is the most accurate in the mid range passing attack and provides the best ball security, who that is I have no idea, but it's a real competiton because no one has a huge experience advantage.

I could hardly disagree more. Succeeding as a Mike is about instincts and assignment soundness. Therefore experience is very important. Daniel was limited primarily to special teams because Love dominated playing time at Mike in 2017. Kash was primarily an offensive player in high school. Therefore Kash needs more defensive reps to reach his upside. But there is a reason why Kash received scholarship offers from 4 P5 schools. Kash is actually faster and more athletic than Love. Big, strong kid who can run. Once Kash gets some more experience, he will be an upgrade for us.

The 3 most important traits of playing MLB are instincts, shedding blocks and lateral quickness. IMO,that has been UK's biggest issue with stopping the run. The only LB who had above average lateral quickness was hurt last year and is out spring practice. UK's OLB will make very soon because they are excellent rushing the passer, maybe the top skill the NFL looks for in edge guys, but the lateral quickness and footwork against the run is only average.

While I am not sure of the spring had by Duffy and Dom Williams, it appears getting Wilson, Square and Garner on campus a semester early will greatly benefit the Cats in the future.
Stanley Garner is a big time player. Very impressive kid, going to be a heck of a player for us. Friday showed why Square needs a redshirt. The media is talking about his 6 tackles. But I had my eyes on him. He was pushed around all night by more experienced blockers, and he was out of position often. Deandre runs well, but I would like to see him redshirt and add 25 pounds of good weight.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Terry Wilson has been in Eddie Gran's offensive system for only a month. So I expected him to struggle in this game, and he did. Wilson's passing accuracy is going to be a challenge for Coach Hinshaw, but it's about decisions, setup, and pocket fundamentals. Therefore, fixable to 1 extent or another. I don't think we can tell anything about Wilson from this game, except for the fact that Hoak and Clark are ahead of him at this particular point. Wilson has a lot of upside. Hinshaw is a veteran coach, and it's still a long way to September.

I understand his lack of knowledge in the offense, etc. However, that has little do do with throwing a check down pass in the dirt 5 yards in front of pretty wide open back or receiver. Is that why he wasn’t very accurate in JUCO, too?

I wasn’t saying that I was unimpressed with him overall b/c that isn’t true...I only stated his lack of accuracy in the spring game was questionable, and that is unfortunate b/c the offense needs someone more accurate to keep defenders out of the box.

I understand his lack of knowledge in the offense, etc. However, that has little do do with throwing a check down pass in the dirt 5 yards in front of pretty wide open back or receiver. Is that why he wasn’t very accurate in JUCO, too?

Disagree. Actually, knowing where receivers will be, locating them in rhythm (without hesitation), and throwing with sound mechanics have a whole lot to do with inexperience in our offensive system and inadequate preparation time with Coach Hinshaw.

I wasn’t saying that I was unimpressed with him overall b/c that isn’t true...I only stated his lack of accuracy in the spring game was questionable, and that is unfortunate b/c the offense needs someone more accurate to keep defenders out of the box.
Here, I totally agree.

ADVERTISEMENT