ADVERTISEMENT

Spelunking

J_Dee

Junior
Mar 21, 2008
Do you enjoy it?

As a teen (early '90s), I explored two very easy caves with family guides. I didn't enjoy it and I'll never do it again. My parents took my siblings and me to Mammoth Cave a few times when we were kids. I may visit it again someday.

Stuff like this terrifies me:

Not for me, and I love to do exploring stuff. If I can’t stand up and walk in, I’m going pass.

I went down a YT rabbit hole of caving once and found it fascinating, but also saw the nutty putty story and said I’ll stick with hiking above ground.

Reactions: J_Dee
John Candy No GIF by Laff

Been doing project caving (exploration, survey, mapping) for 45 years now, mostly in central and eastern Kentucky, but also in West Virginia and Tennessee. Took part in a caving expedition to Costa Rica in ‘89

As a far younger man, my buddies and I would go explore Wind Cave around McKee back when it was open to the public. I generally enjoyed. However, there was one room (the Cathedral?) where you had to low crawl on your belly for about 100 yards before you came into a giant room that opened up like, tada, a cathedral.

It was beautiful once you got there but I could not take being in the middle of a line of guys crawling on their bellies in a hole in the dark. Inevitably someone in front would get stuck and the whole line would cease up. Felt like a trapped animal. Nope.

There was a corkscrew in Wind Cave like the one in the video above. I stuck my head down into just to see. I was young and skinny back then and I had to almost pull my shoulders out of socket to make the first break. Again -- nope.

As a far younger man, my buddies and I would go explore Wind Cave around McKee back when it was open to the public. I generally enjoyed. However, there was one room (the Cathedral?) where you had to low crawl on your belly for about 100 yards before you came into a giant room that opened up like, tada, a cathedral.

It was beautiful once you got there but I could not take being in the middle of a line of guys crawling on their bellies in a hole in the dark. Inevitably someone in front would get stuck and the whole line would cease up. Felt like a trapped animal. Nope.

There was a corkscrew in Wind Cave like the one in the video above. I stuck my head down into just to see. I was young and skinny back then and I had to almost pull my shoulders out of socket to make the first break. Again -- nope.
I’ve made many trips into Coach Cave near Park City Kentucky. Coach was once a commercial cave (no longer) and has about four and a half miles of passageways. To get to most of the non-commercial part requires traversing a 2500’ passage called Spring Avenue. It starts out being seven feet high and is about 20’ wide the entire length. However the floor gradually rises and by the 1500’ mark, you’ve had to do a couple of short hands-and-knees crawling sections. For the last 1000’ feet, the highest point in the passage is 27” high, and the first 400’ of that is only 14” high. Still wide though. We have four aluminum snow saucers there with short lengths of rope attached. You throw your pack on one and tie it to your ankle and drag it behind you. The floor is covered with little round rocks that make it easier for the saucers to slide.

After you leave Spring Avenue you can walk for 50’ before you have a choice of two different hands-and -knees crawls, one 500’ long the other 700’. (Reaching the 500 footer requires a harnesses and vertical gear and jumping across a 25’ drop while rigged into a rope)

I’ve told people that to reach the most remote part of Coach is not especially physically hard - the cave is dry, 55 degrees F, no wetsuit, rope or climbing gear needed - most of the way if you want to take a rest you’re already lying down. You just have to tell yourself that it’s OK that for most of the next 10-12 hours either the wall, ceiling or floor is going to be 6-8” from your face. 😀

The reward for all this is often you get to see things of great beauty that few others do and sometimes you get to go places no human being has ever been.

Back in 1995 in another cave not far from Coach our project got to do both. We found a virgin passage (never before seen by humans) that was bigger than 25’x25’ for over a mile and in the middle half a mile you couldn’t see the limestone ceiling and walls because they were completely covered with a beautiful pure white gypsum crust with literally millions of gypsum flowers as much as 12” long. In many places they had repeatedly broken off of their own weight and piled up on the floor. Our next trips after the initial discovery we laid down a three foot wide trail with flagging tape and don’t allow anyone to go off trail for any reason. It’s one of the most spectacular passages in the US. Due to the combination of tight crawls and vertical rope work required, probably less had 200 people have ever seen it.

I’ve made many trips into Coach Cave near Park City Kentucky. Coach was once a commercial cave (no longer) and has about four and a half miles of passageways. To get to most of the non-commercial part requires traversing a 2500’ passage called Spring Avenue. It starts out being seven feet high and is about 20’ wide the entire length. However the floor gradually rises and by the 1500’ mark, you’ve had to do a couple of short hands-and-knees crawling sections. For the last 1000’ feet, the highest point in the passage is 27” high, and the first 400’ of that is only 14” high. Still wide though. We have four aluminum snow saucers there with short lengths of rope attached. You throw your pack on one and tie it to your ankle and drag it behind you. The floor is covered with little round rocks that make it easier for the saucers to slide.

After you leave Spring Avenue you can walk for 50’ before you have a choice of two different hands-and -knees crawls, one 500’ long the other 700’. (Reaching the 500 footer requires a harnesses and vertical gear and jumping across a 25’ drop while rigged into a rope)

I’ve told people that to reach the most remote part of Coach is not especially physically hard - the cave is dry, 55 degrees F, no wetsuit, rope or climbing gear needed - most of the way if you want to take a rest you’re already lying down. You just have to tell yourself that it’s OK that for most of the next 10-12 hours either the wall, ceiling or floor is going to be 6-8” from your face. 😀

The reward for all this is often you get to see things of great beauty that few others do and sometimes you get to go places no human being has ever been.

Back in 1995 in another cave not far from Coach our project got to do both. We found a virgin passage (never before seen by humans) that was bigger than 25’x25’ for over a mile and in the middle half a mile you couldn’t see the limestone ceiling and walls because they were completely covered with a beautiful pure white gypsum crust with literally millions of gypsum flowers as much as 12” long. In many places they had repeatedly broken off of their own weight and piled up on the floor. Our next trips after the initial discovery we laid down a three foot wide trail with flagging tape and don’t allow anyone to go off trail for any reason. It’s one of the most spectacular passages in the US. Due to the combination of tight crawls and vertical rope work required, probably less had 200 people have ever seen it.
I'm from Barren County. During the civil war, Barren County was pro-confederate. People would hide things from union soldiers in caves.

Last edited:
I thought I was going to be scared of tight spaces, and I was freaking out before my first real cave trip. After about 30 minutes I absolutely loved it. I ended up going on some wild cave trips over the next 8ish years. I did some mapping which was boring AF but got to do some exploration in a few caves where nobody had ever been.

I got to do a portal-to-portal Mammoth cave trip. It was 11 hours and we were basically pack mules for some British scientist who were touring Mammoth. Did a small cave that had a passage known as orgasm chasm due to just be a sloppy muddy mess. Did a few drops in caves with rappelling.

Back pain and bad knees made me stop. It was weird how peaceful I felt once you got into the cave a bit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT