ADVERTISEMENT

Speeding ticket question

Dec 7, 2004
I passed up a car on Louisville road and the cop flagged me for 82 in a 55 for the passing speed. I am over by 27 mph so I have to show up for court (Spencer County)(no prepay) and missed traffic school by 1 mph. My question is should I hire a lawyer to help with this? I have no tickets in the last 12 years and just trying to not lose my license or at least be able to go back and forth to work. Thanks.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
I passed up a car on Louisville road and the cop flagged me for 82 in a 55 for the passing speed. I am over by 27 mph so I have to show up for court (Spencer County)(no prepay) and missed traffic school by 1 mph. My question is should I hire a lawyer to help with this? I have no tickets in the last 12 years and just trying to not lose my license or at least be able to go back and forth to work. Thanks.
I would hire a lawyer.......and slow down

Passing someone doing 27 over seems a bit excessive. I could see 10 or maybe 15 over for a quick pass, but 27 seems like something that would be hard to fight.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
I would definitely consult with an attorney. Consultations are free, and an Attorney could be able to work out a deal that would get it down to where they could let you go to a driving class.

I have been pulled over about 10 times over 20+ years. Fortunately, I have an honest face or something and have only received 4 tickets. Every single time I got a lawyer, they dropped everything outright. The 4th time, I decided not to get a lawyer and had to pay $100+ dollars plus my insurance went up. Get a lawyer.

Passing someone doing 27 over seems a bit excessive. I could see 10 or maybe 15 over for a quick pass, but 27 seems like something that would be hard to fight.

I picture a HUGE truck with a little guy

Got tickets like that in rural Indiana, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, and Michigan.

Always called a lawyer in the local jurisdiction. They reduce the charge to a fine and probation, but no points so your insurance company never finds out

Reactions: Keeping the faith
Go to the local prosecutor’s office personally. Appeal to them the you made a mistake, would like to prepay or go to driving school. My experience in the past is that they will usually amend it down 1-2 mph to allow you to do that. If you have a longer history, that probably won’t work. May also be worth a call if it’s too far away.

Reactions: bbonds and kev69
Show up to court an hour early, talk to the prosecutor, make a deal and go home. Agree to a fine & driving school for a reduced speed. Its always worked for me and saves attorney fees.

giphy.gif

Sherrif or state police????

Don’t admit anything unless they offer you a deal first. There’s no harm in contacting an attorney but I wouldn’t retain one unless the charges are severe

When you get a speeding ticket you will get several letters from attorneys that specialize in just handling speeding cases. They are super cheap, well worth your insurance not going up.

Call the prosecutors office and see if they have a deferral program. Alot of counties have a deal where you pay a certain amount and if you dont get another ticket in 6 or 12 months (depends on the county) they rip the ticket up like it never existed and insurance never finds out. However, if you get another ticket in the said amount of time, you would then have to pay both fines and your insurance finds out about both. It really depends on if you can slow down for 6 or 12 months.

I have done that in several counties and just paid attention to my speed. According to my record I have only had 1 ticket in last 10 years.

Reactions: Keeping the faith
Some 55 zones are a joke like the watterson expressway for example. 5 lanes of wide open traffic (except during rush hour). No reason at all for that to be 55 other than to give cops a reason to ticket cars for revenue.
I may not agree with speed limits, but I keep it to 10 over since I got my 3rd ticket when I was 20.

I was capable of learning after all.

Reactions: DidneyWorl
I would definitely consult with an attorney. Consultations are free, and an Attorney could be able to work out a deal that would get it down to where they could let you go to a driving class.

"Let you go to a driving class?" That's a winner in your book?[pfftt]

Just take a tihs on the ticket, fold it up so it will fit in a manilla envelope, mail the envelope to the courthouse and then do nothing. It will all go away. Done this here in multi counties when I seen they flaggt me for speeding outside the lines. 3 tickets 3 letters and nobody come get me or say nothing to me yet. WINN

Reactions: WynnDuffy
ADVERTISEMENT