ADVERTISEMENT

South Carolina @ Kentucky (Senior Day)

So... if you noticed, around the ball field today were a lot of tributes to those who graduated. That was because the staff made the decision, which was not well received, to only have those with zero eligibility left go through senior day activities. So, even those unlikely to return or who had stated the intent not to return weren't able to. Harper a pretty good example I believe.

Again, this type of decision only pushes people further away from Mingione and the program as they feel alienated.

That makes sense as starting in the 8th a couple of guys unrolled a banner over the right field fence that congratulated “all” the seniors and not just the 4 they honored pre-game.

It reeks of a desperate coaching staff trying to “convince” kids to stay.

And after sitting in the stands the past two days it’s an easy decision to make about the coach/program. Would you rather be Kentucky today or over the next two years or would you rather be Tennessee today or over the next two years. The answer is simple and I hope my assumption it true and that is the contract extension given to Ming before the year was done to show the “next coach” that as long as Barnhart is here the coach will always have the tools to preform their job at a high standard (extending coach out so it looks like the coach will be here for the kids he is currently recruiting for their senior year). That the end of year evaluation will show we are dying on the branch and it time to move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
That makes sense as starting in the 8th a couple of guys unrolled a banner over the right field fence that congratulated “all” the seniors and not just the 4 they honored pre-game.

And after sitting in the stands the past two days it’s an easy decision to make about the coach/program. Would you rather be Kentucky today or over the next two years or would you rather be Tennessee today or over the next two years. The answer is simple and I hope my assumption it true and that is the contract extension given to Ming before the year was done to show the “next coach” that as long as Barnhart is here the coach will always have the tools to preform their job at a high standard (extending coach out so it looks like the coach will be here for the kids he is currently recruiting for their senior year). That the end of year evaluation will show we are dying on the branch and it time to move on.

That’s an easy choice for me. But, the one thing everyone keeps forgetting, UK baseball is still an afterthought to most fans and a lot of the administration. Baseball does not factor in on the radar at Kentucky like the other teams in the SEC. There’s not the outcry from fans about changing coaches and there’s not the alumni and booster pull here. I’d be willing to bet 75% of Kentucky fans couldn’t name 10 players on this team. Most fans look at Kentucky baseball the way I look at basketball. They just don’t care. Mingione caught lighting in a bottle in 2017. Going to the super regional was fun. The late night singing sweet Caroline was one of the best atmospheres in a baseball game that I was ever a part of. And for that I thank Minge. But UK baseball is going nowhere but down since. It’s time for a new start. A new direction. Will Barnhartt do it? I hope. But I’m not holding my breath.

Reactions: sluggercatfan

I think you nailed it. Definitely reeks of trying to convince certain kids to come back for another year and almost punishment for them for not doing so. Again, it wasn't taken well, and I think the banner and other posters were indicators of how poorly it was taken.

I just feel like this hurts the program short term and long term because it makes certain players and their families no longer want to be associated with the program. Even if they have deep ties.

I think you nailed it. Definitely reeks of trying to convince certain kids to come back for another year and almost punishment for them for not doing so. Again, it wasn't taken well, and I think the banner and other posters were indicators of how poorly it was taken.

I just feel like this hurts the program short term and long term because it makes certain players and their families no longer want to be associated with the program. Even if they have deep ties.
Didn't watch or listen...who are the kids we are speaking of that they are doing this to?

Didn't watch or listen...who are the kids we are speaking of that they are doing this to?

There were 6 that graduated and 4 that have no eligibility left.

No eligibility were:
Collett
Lewis
Kammin
Shelby

Seniors or graduates were (I think):
Anu
Ramsey
Harper
Hill
Harney
Jones

Hazelwood is also a senior, but UK didn't recognize him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT