ADVERTISEMENT

Some opinions on Moses Brown

UKCATSFREAK

Senior
Apr 8, 2013
Fort Thomas, KY
Was curious on some of your thoughts on Mr. Brown. Admittedly, I have seen very little of Moses, so I thought I’d ask around to see what you all thought of the big man. I wasn’t all that impressed with the very small amount of footage that I have seen of him but Cal and the staff have obviously seen something in the young fella. What are y’all thoughts on Brown?

Moses has the body to succeed. What he shows on the court can be very hit or miss at this stage. What scares me about him coming to UK is guys that need a few years to develop anywhere else seem to not want to do that here. Moses is a legit 7'1 or 7'2 probably 250-260lbs. He is not a total plodder but he also isn't super agile and athletic either. His biggest strength at this moment is being big. He has decent footwork and a couple moves near the basket but nothing extraordinary. I'd love to see him working with KP on his basketball skills and college dietitians and strength coaches and i think you could see big strides in a couple years. I was trying to think of a good comparison for him but it was tough. This won't be that popular I'm sure but in the last few years the way he's playing right now in high school is most reminiscent of Marques Bolden.

IF he can block up the middle & be an intimidator, grab rebound........then he is worth it

Looks pretty agile to me.

No, he doesn't to me. Just the way he moves, it's not smooth & quick. I'm not expecting Fox/Wall type movement. Does seem to have a lot of Bolden/Johnson/Humphries in him. And that isn't bad. It just means the fans should not expect much in year 1, maybe not even year 2.
I would expect him to ride the pine w/ only mop-up minutes as a FR.
Play a little (maybe 5mpg) as a Soph.
Then as a JR is when I would expect him to be a solid (20mpg) contributor. And at that point, given his size, I could see him going pro.

Brown is obviously much more agile than DJ. Hard to get much feel about those 2 from that game though. Anthony has a little hitch in his shot but has shot very well in the past. Be interesting to see if he really likes UK or not.

I think most of these comments miss the point. Most people commenting on Brown here haven't seen him play and don't understand why Calipari is looking at him. Brown is more athletic and 3 inches taller than Dakari Johnson. Nick Richards will be a 1st round draft choice. Anyone who doesn't see that is late to the party. If Wiseman won't reclassify, then SKJ and Wynyard are our 5s next year. Bol is off the board. Adding 1 more quality 5 is necessary. Calipari's defensive concept works best when we have depth and length on the baseline to alter lanes and shots. Brown may not be Karl Towns 2.0, and won't interfere with Wiseman's recruitment. But Brown can become a decent player with Kenny Payne's teachings. If he is the best big alternative, sign him. Getting Brown and Williamson would be a solid finish to this class, and the 2 scholarships will be available after Richards, Knox, Diallo enter the draft.

Last edited:
I think he’s a backup for SKJ and Richards. If they both come back there’s little need for him. If they don’t, he’ll be a tall rebounding body that will hopefully develop a couple moves to make him serviceable on offense.

I think he’s a backup for SKJ and Richards. If they both come back there’s little need for him. If they don’t, he’ll be a tall rebounding body that will hopefully develop a couple moves to make him serviceable on offense.
Virtually no chance Richards will be back. That leaves SKJ and Wynyard, so think of Brown's recruitment in that light.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Virtually no chance Richards will be back. That leaves SKJ and Wynyard, so think of Brown's recruitment in that light.
Could be. TJ on HOB has said that as of now, Kentucky expect him back. But I have no idea where he got that info, and obviously if it is true it could change very quickly. I do think he would probably go towards the end of the first round at this point, but if he came back he could potential he be the best big man in college next year and go in the lottery. Maybe that is the plan Cal had worked out with him. I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

Also have to look beyond 2019. Brown may be more of a Willie Cauley-Stein type player - not a "project" but a guy who may need 2-3 years in college to really develop. Not unusual for the true 7-footers.

I think Cal has learned a lesson - the KATs are extremely rare and most true centers are not going to be all-Americans as freshmen. Just look at the progress Sacha Killeya-Jones has made from last year to this.

Brown says UK is his dream school so my guess is he will commit whenever Cal finally offers.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Could be. TJ on HOB has said that as of now, Kentucky expect him back. But I have no idea where he got that info, and obviously if it is true it could change very quickly. I do think he would probably go towards the end of the first round at this point, but if he came back he could potential he be the best big man in college next year and go in the lottery. Maybe that is the plan Cal had worked out with him. I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

None of us do, but logically it doesn't make sense for Richards to come out this year when he would be the #4 center at best - unless he makes massive progress over the season and puts up huge numbers in the spring, in which case UK is in the Final Four and we're all happy!

I don't know what caused TJ to reach that conclusion, or when he reached it. But I think he will be proven wrong. Richards is 6-11 240 pounds with athleticism and hops. His offensive game is improving by the week, and the rest of his game is solid. When we beat Ft. Wayne, Richards dominated an excellent 5. At worst, Richards will be drafted in the middle of the 1st round. He is gone. Calipari knows it, which is why he is recruiting Brown.

Love to have Brown. He seems very agile for a big and a much better prospect than bolden was.

None of us do, but logically it doesn't make sense for Richards to come out this year when he would be the #4 center at best - unless he makes massive progress over the season and puts up huge numbers in the spring, in which case UK is in the Final Four and we're all happy!
We will see. I believe Richards will be gone in the 1st half of the 1st round.

If Richards continues to improve I see him leaving this year. Brown I don't know much about but if Cal thinks he can play at UK I trust Cal on this. KP can do wonders with big men. Just think what most of us was like when we were 18 years old. You can not teach height but can work on getting better around the basket.

We will see. I believe Richards will be gone in the 1st half of the 1st round.

Based on how he looks now and how much he will likely improve this year, you might be right. On the other hand, centers are not as valued in the modern NBA as are wings and point guards. Richards at best will be behind Ayton, Bamba, and Bagley in this draft, and probably behind Robinson as well. I doubt that puts him in the middle of the first round. Maybe late first round to a good team like the Spurs, which wouldn't be terrible for him, but if he returns he will be a lottery pick in a draft with fewer bigs.

wonder why Cal hasn't shown any interest in the Brown kid from out west. Supposedly, big & agile

Love to have Brown. He seems very agile for a big and a much better prospect than bolden was.
I agree with everything but the last sentence. To compare him with Dakari is laughable though if he is as good of a player then we are good as Dakari is a NBA center. But he is more more agile then that. Bolden though is a good comparison as both will be NBA centers but both will need 2-3 years . Richards might leave , he might not but regardless we will need to add a big man either thru recruiting or grad transfer. If Richard leaves then we will need to add 2.

I don't know what caused TJ to reach that conclusion, or when he reached it. But I think he will be proven wrong. Richards is 6-11 240 pounds with athleticism and hops. His offensive game is improving by the week, and the rest of his game is solid. When we beat Ft. Wayne, Richards dominated an excellent 5. At worst, Richards will be drafted in the middle of the 1st round. He is gone. Calipari knows it, which is why he is recruiting Brown.
Again you may be right. However, the only other thing I will interject is that it seems to me that Cal is slow playing Brown. He’s not giving him the full press yet. Heck I don’t think he’s even officially offered. If he was so sure Richards was gone, why not go gung ho on him?

I think most of these comments miss the point. Most people commenting on Brown here haven't seen him play and don't understand why Calipari is looking at him. Brown is more athletic and 3 inches taller than Dakari Johnson. Nick Richards will be a 1st round draft choice. Anyone who doesn't see that is late to the party. If Wiseman won't reclassify, then SKJ and Wynyard are our 5s next year. Bol is off the board. Adding 1 more quality 5 is necessary. Calipari's defensive concept works best when we have depth and length on the baseline to alter lanes and shots. Brown may not be Karl Towns 2.0, and won't interfere with Wiseman's recruitment. But Brown can become a decent player with Kenny Payne's teachings. If he is the best big alternative, sign him. Getting Brown and Williamson would be a solid finish to this class, and the 2 scholarships will be available after Richards, Knox, Diallo enter the draft.

Richards has more quickness and agility. Brown is a bit slow and mechanical. If you can't see that, then I can't help you.
I am ok with SKJ at C next year, if we didn't get a reclassified Wiseman, I could see SKJ play 26-28mpg and average 10-12 pts and 7-8 rpg w/ a couple blocks. I have some optimism about Wynyard, but NONE of us have seen enough of him to have a reasonable thought on that.
Brown would NOT play ahead of SKJ. Could he provide a decent complement? Maybe.
I'm not opposed to getting Brown, I say go get'em.
BUT, I think fans need to temper their expectations, there is a good chance he won't play a lot as a FR, but that DOESN'T mean he is a bust.

Last edited:
Kinda soft and slow, but big. He definitely needs more muscle. He would be an OK to have as an upperclassman but won’t be an impact player next year.

If we get Wiseman, it’ll be two years before we see significant minutes for Brown.

Richards has more quickness and agility. He is a bit slow and mechanical. If you can't see that, then I can't help you.
I am ok with SKJ at C next year, if we didn't get a reclassified Wiseman, I could see SKJ play 26-28mpg and average 10-12 pts and 7-8 rpg w/ a couple blocks. I have some optimism about Wynyard, but NONE of us have seen enough of him to have a reasonable thought on that.
Brown would NOT play ahead of SKJ. Could he provide a decent complement? Maybe.
I'm not opposed to getting Brown, I say go get'em.
BUT, I think fans need to temper their expectations, there is a good chance he won't play a lot as a FR, but that DOESN'T mean he is a bust.
Agree that Richards has all you say but he is likely gone if he continues to make 'normal'progress.I don't think we want to start a year with only SKJ and Wynyard to man the 5 spot. Wynyard doesn't play the style that Cal wants to play(positionless basketball) he will never be a fit with the other players that we have on the floor,thus he will never get the minutes to make the contribution that he could be able to make.

I think Cal will eventually offer Brown and he will be here next year.

Again you may be right. However, the only other thing I will interject is that it seems to me that Cal is slow playing Brown. He’s not giving him the full press yet. Heck I don’t think he’s even officially offered. If he was so sure Richards was gone, why not go gung ho on him?
Wiseman

Agree that Richards has all you say but he is likely gone if he continues to make 'normal'progress.I don't think we want to start a year with only SKJ and Wynyard to man the 5 spot. Wynyard doesn't play the style that Cal wants to play(positionless basketball) he will never be a fit with the other players that we have on the floor,thus he will never get the minutes to make the contribution that he could be able to make.

I think Cal will eventually offer Brown and he will be here next year.

Brown also isn't positionless. He is just bigger, and not as strong. In fact, I'm not sure we have enough info to even say Brown is quicker, more agile than Wynyard.
Again, I'll say we should bring Brown in, I'm just trying to temper expectations of what he is and isn't.

He's good, not great, but better than the other available options. That's all you can do and all you can recruit.

Reactions: docholiday51
Brown also isn't positionless. He is just bigger, and not as strong. In fact, I'm not sure we have enough info to even say Brown is quicker, more agile than Wynyard.
Again, I'll say we should bring Brown in, I'm just trying to temper expectations of what he is and isn't.
Agree,there is little info on Brown,I watched his match-up with Bol Bol and didn't see all that much difference around the basket(Bol shot a couple of 3's but how much time do we want a 7'2" guy spending at the 3 point line? I think Brown would more of a shot blocker than Wynyard,as far as strength, Wynyard has been at the 5 to 8 rep range(from memory) in the 185 bench press over the past 2 years of pro day.I doubt that Brown would be in that range at this point but the extra 4 or so inches in height and longer wingspan would serve him well.

Richards might stay simply because next year's class of bigs is weaker than this one,he could be in the top 10 next year.

Wiseman is staying 2019.
Yeah but Brown won't be one and done, therefore wiseman might not want to come to UK Bc there's someone at his position already here. Not saying wiseman won't come here if brown comes, it just plays into the equation

ADVERTISEMENT