ADVERTISEMENT

Some are just late bloomers!

Apr 14, 2013
I understand some fans not being excited about basketball players who UK might be looking at or even wanting, however, just because they were ranked low in HS and/or went to a smaller college doesn't mean that they wouldn't or couldn't be great for UK. Some players don't get the opportunity to go to the camps or play for AAU and therefore aren't really noticed as much as those who play AAU. Also, some are just late bloomers and didn't flip the basketball switch until after a year or even several years of college.

As I read through several threads it would appear that some think that the blue blood schools are the only schools that good basketball players attend. Obviously this is not true at all, even if we do get a lion's share of good talent year in and year out. But simply discrediting a player because they played at a smaller school or were ranked low after high school is ridiculous. Agreeing with that philosophy would mean that Ja Morant, Steph Curry, and several others who attended smaller schools would never have been good enough to play for us here at UK.

Maybe some of these guys are not good enough and maybe some are, but to just discredit them because they attend and play basketball for a smaller school or a smaller conference is ridiculous. Heck, CJ McCollum attended Lehigh and Damion Lillard went to Weber State and I think Paul George went to Fresno St. and I think any could have played great for UK but instead they attended schools not known for developing basketball players. So maybe some people might have a little bit more of an open mind about some of these players who are at XYZ University. Simply, just because they played at XYZ University doesn't mean that they wouldn't be an asset for us at UK. And of course doesn't mean that they would be good for us either. Just keep an open mind and quit trashing people based on where they attended school and assuming that they could never have the talent to play for us.

I understand some fans not being excited about basketball players who UK might be looking at or even wanting, however, just because they were ranked low in HS and/or went to a smaller college doesn't mean that they wouldn't or couldn't be great for UK. Some players don't get the opportunity to go to the camps or play for AAU and therefore aren't really noticed as much as those who play AAU. Also, some are just late bloomers and didn't flip the basketball switch until after a year or even several years of college.

As I read through several threads it would appear that some think that the blue blood schools are the only schools that good basketball players attend. Obviously this is not true at all, even if we do get a lion's share of good talent year in and year out. But simply discrediting a player because they played at a smaller school or were ranked low after high school is ridiculous. Agreeing with that philosophy would mean that Ja Morant, Steph Curry, and several others who attended smaller schools would never have been good enough to play for us here at UK.

Maybe some of these guys are not good enough and maybe some are, but to just discredit them because they attend and play basketball for a smaller school or a smaller conference is ridiculous. Heck, CJ McCollum attended Lehigh and Damion Lillard went to Weber State and I think Paul George went to Fresno St. and I think any could have played great for UK but instead they attended schools not known for developing basketball players. So maybe some people might have a little bit more of an open mind about some of these players who are at XYZ University. Simply, just because they played at XYZ University doesn't mean that they wouldn't be an asset for us at UK. And of course doesn't mean that they would be good for us either. Just keep an open mind and quit trashing people based on where they attended school and assuming that they could never have the talent to play for us.
There are plenty of sleepers out there but if you are trying to suggest replacing a #1 ranked player for a mid major transfer is a good thing when your coach is paid $9 million a year and has often declared 'UK eats first,' then I'm not buying what you're selling.

There are plenty of sleepers out there but if you are trying to suggest replacing a #1 ranked player for a mid major transfer is a good thing when your coach is paid $9 million a year and has often declared 'UK eats first,' then I'm not buying what you're selling.
Never in my post did I even suggest that!

Reactions: Finna_Go_HAM

Still trying to figure out what difference his salary makes? He could make $100 million/year or $15/hour. If his job is to recruit and coach the best, then judge him on that. Why keep pointing out how much he makes?

Coach making 9 million has nothing to do with a player wanting to go pro

Until we get a little more clarity in who is going, who is staying Cal is in scramble mode to find enough warm bodies to fill out a roster. There are good players out there but identifying them and getting them here under the circumstances that exist at UK right now is a tall order for Cal or anyone else.

UK is not the prize stop that it was for the first 4 or 5 years of Cal's tenure. If Oscar returns we have a huge building block in place for next season. Cal has never been one who is great at recruiting for needs (but he has gotten better over the past 2 years) We always seem to be overloaded at one position or another. Should Sharpe return, we have Livingston, Toppin and Sharpe whom we can plug in to a couple of different spots.

UK could look really good next year or we could be in a bind only slightly better than the 9-16 season(although Oscar could probably win 9 games by himself)

Cal has painted himself into a corner once again, which in my way of thinking he has done on a regular basis for the past 3 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT