ADVERTISEMENT

SOFTBALL ELIMINATED...

Pitching alone can win softball.
It doesn’t take rocket science.
We need a coach that can recruit the best of the best in pitching.
no excuse for losing two today.

Eh. Plenty of mistakes. No adjustments. Too quick to take out the pitcher doing best both games.
Unfortunate.
No way Rach was too quick pulling Schoon in the first game .. she was all over the place and couldn't throw strikes . I didnt get to watch game 2 as I'm not paying for espn 2 . I would have like to seen the lefty in relief in game 2 but thats just coaching from the couch the day after a choice didnt work out . We were within 1 hit of tying the game , truth is Kowalik K'ing in the 7th hurt badly .

Reactions: sluggercatfan
No way Rach was too quick pulling Schoon in the first game .. she was all over the place and couldn't throw strikes . I didnt get to watch game 2 as I'm not paying for espn 2 . I would have like to seen the lefty in relief in game 2 but thats just coaching from the couch the day after a choice didnt work out . We were within 1 hit of tying the game , truth is Kowalik K'ing in the 7th hurt badly .
Walks killed them in the losses this weekend. Have several young pitchers that need to develop. I think we pitched 7 different players this season. Just can’t give up so many free passes. Have to find find that 1-2 aces on the mound. Multiple all sec players returning. 6 or 7 starters will be back. Two of the top 10 players in the nation.

They are a very good program. I find it very entertaining to watch.

Wish baseball would go to 7 innings.

Pitching alone can win softball.
It doesn’t take rocket science.
We need a coach that can recruit the best of the best in pitching.
no excuse for losing two today.
They played a team at home that was motivated to play them. And were ranked 3rd in the nation. They got robbed on hosting a regional. But overall a very good season.

They played a team at home that was motivated to play them. And were ranked 3rd in the nation. They got robbed on hosting a regional. But overall a very good season.

How did they get robbed? They were the fifth best team in their league, and laid an egg against a bottom feeding MSU team in the SEC tournament.

Kentucky has a good softball program, but they aren’t elite, and won’t be until coach Lawson (or another coach) can recruit at a little bit higher level, especially pitching.

How did they get robbed? They were the fifth best team in their league, and laid an egg against a bottom feeding MSU team in the SEC tournament.

Kentucky has a good softball program, but they aren’t elite, and won’t be until coach Lawson (or another coach) can recruit at a little bit higher level, especially pitching.
They were one of the best 16 teams in the country. But they only want to give the SEC so many hosting opportunities

Very tough strike zone.
yes she wasn’t on on but she was the best option to win given how their hits were off balance luck

Reactions: ManitouDan
Rachel Lawson needs to be on the phone to Kelsey Nunley today.
The greatest pitcher in UK softball history, and
she is in the Chattanooga area coaching high school softball and running a pitching academy for all the top pitchers in East TN and beyond.

Please tell me why she is not on our staff as pitching coach which is our most obvious weakness.

I hope it is not because RL wants to call every pitch and be the pitching coach, also.

To the overall #3 seed in the tournament? Poor take.
a poor take is trying the same thing over and over and it not working

I agree on the stud pitcher being a weakness .. when we have above average pitcher like Nunley we dont have the good hitting 1-9 , now we have a great offense but lack a shut down type thrower . We are good consistently , Lawson has done a solid job , but cant get over the hump to get to that final 8 . And thats the biggie .. Ok' City .

Reactions: cathouse
I agree on the stud pitcher being a weakness .. when we have above average pitcher like Nunley we dont have the good hitting 1-9 , now we have a great offense but lack a shut down type thrower . We are good consistently , Lawson has done a solid job , but cant get over the hump to get to that final 8 . And thats the biggie .. Ok' City .
Much like hiring the right QB coach in football, I believe Nunley would be a homerun hire to help develop our pitching staff.

If Nunley would have had this year's team hitting behind her, UK would probably be undefeated.

Well the best pitcher in the country is from KY but went to Alabama, that should have never happened.

Well the best pitcher in the country is from KY but went to Alabama, that should have never happened.
I agree. Local posters from Carter County said Bama locked her up early with Travel Ball. Took her out of state and kept her.

You can't lose that kind of in state talent to Bama and expect to win the SEC.

Kentucky does not get the reputation for players that it deserves. If you are not from California or Texas then you don't rate. Its always been that way although it is improving. High School softball competition is just not that good. Thankfully playing travel ball in the summer is strong in the surrounding states so especially for pitching, you can get the level of competition in softball that you cannot get mowing down Kentucky high school batters.

Hard to stop someone from going to a certain school, but it is a head scratcher as to why UK wasn't a good enough program. She certainly would been a big boost for the program. Probably challene for a CSBWS championship.

I agree. Local posters from Carter County said Bama locked her up early with Travel Ball. Took her out of state and kept her.

You can't lose that kind of in state talent to Bama and expect to win the SEC.
Think she committed to Bama as a freshman and never walked it back

UK obviously lacked at stud pitcher, but did have a good staff. We did have a good lineup with some power and a VERY good team overall. You never know about the post season play. That bottom feeding SEC team (MSU) knocked out the #2 overall seed (FSU) in the tournament. Oklahoma looks to be the best team by some margin.

It happens. Justin Thomas anchored the Alabama team that won the NCAA golf championship and is now a two time winner of PGA majors. Louisville was in his backyard and UK not far down the road but he chose Alabama. Montana Fouts is from Carter County but chose Alabama for softball. In football Harris from Madison Southern was on several Alabama national championship teams. I can’t remember the big running back from Boone County that went to Alabama back in the ‘90s and then on to the NFL.
Alabama seems to attract a lot of Kentucky kids.

I have no idea how it happened, but the UK coaches should have identified her at a young age, I assume 99% of Carter county is life and death UK fans!

Fouts threw for the Birmingham Thunderbolts as a 14u kid .. they locked her up before HS even started , and yes , before the new rules started high level d1's were recruiting the shit out of 14u players .
My kid played on a very very good travel team --5 D1 commits , at the national tourney we drew the #1 ranked14u in the nation - Corona Angels . Game was delayed to near midnight and at that time of night I set behind the backstop with head coaches from UCLA , Oklahoma , Washington and a couple SEC coaches as well. We had runners on 2b and 3b with 2 outs in the 1st . Best hitter up - she lined out to 2b . We lost 6-1 , but my kid hit a bomb triple to right against them. Fun times .

Hard to stop someone from going to a certain school, but it is a head scratcher as to why UK wasn't a good enough program. She certainly would been a big boost for the program. Probably challene for a CSBWS championship.
She wanted to go to ALA since middle school. It was hard to overcome for anyone else.

I think Bama was in the process of winning a national title around that time and getting a brand new stadium? Not to mention she played on a Ala travel team that UA coaches were all over. Tough to overcome. Good that UK is producing talent. UK should be good again next season.

ADVERTISEMENT