ADVERTISEMENT

So....who will start at QB?

catrecruit

Senior
Apr 14, 2006
Do you think it's hands-down SJ? Or will there really be a TRUE open competition where someone else emerges?

Apparently SJ has improved quite a bit from all indications and Hoak has been quite impressive as well....with Barker back, this is the best depth I can remember

Stoops said there will a competition, coach speak or true? you decide. I personally think Johnson has earned the right to be #1 entering fall camp, but the two others will be given the chance to unseat him. However I think for Johnson to lose his spot, either Barker or Hoak will have to be measurable if not significantly better all the way through fall camp. Although both Barker and Hoak may be better true passers, Johnson holds a couple of aces in his hand, a successful season including performing in close games, and his running threat especially out of the RPOs that defenses have to respect.

It's a nice problem you have, two guys with starting experience including last years returning starter and a 3rd guy up and coming with a strong skill set. However this works out I look for the backup to get more work this year than any backup in recent history.

Stoops said there will a competition, coach speak or true? you decide. I personally think Johnson has earned the right to be #1 entering fall camp, but the two others will be given the chance to unseat him. However I think for Johnson to lose his spot, either Barker or Hoak will have to be measurable if not significantly better all the way through.

It's a nice problem you have, two guys with starting experience including last years returning starter and a 3rd guy up and coming with a strong skill set.
Agree, this is the right answer. Stoops is faced with a situation that must be managed wisely and delicately. His returning starter (Johnson) had a great performance against UL, followed by a bad bowl performance, followed by a solid spring, followed by a bad BWG. Johnson has tools and a big heart, but he is still a work in progress. Barker, a former starter, is back after missing most of the season with an injury. Hoak was the best quarterback in the BWG. Stoops is wise to give all 3 quarterbacks motivation to work hard over the summer and compete hard in August. But Johnson will be the starter in September unless he gets injured or regresses significantly. Unlike some previous years, UK actually has quality quarterback depth, and that's a very good thing. If Johnson gets hurt, I would still expect a bowl.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
If Barker doesn't start, will he transfer? I believe he's already graduated. I hope he sticks it out, remains healthy and hopefully become the starter next year. Then Hoak takes over in two years and you still have Clark, Wood and Williams in the fold.

Reactions: mattrudd
More questions than answers at this point but a lot of hope

Does Johnson improve his short passing and hold the ball better?

Does Hoak continue to improve?

Does Barker show consistency behind the flashes he showed and does he stay healthy?

It's gotta be Barker or Johnson as one choice or the other .... REALLY hard to tell right now but I just really like Johnson and his entire family. Met them in Florida and they were GREAT to my kid

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
If Barker doesn't start, will he transfer? I believe he's already graduated. I hope he sticks it out, remains healthy and hopefully become the starter next year. Then Hoak takes over in two years and you still have Clark, Wood and Williams in the fold.
You would have to ask Barker that question. But there are reasons why he might stick around. Barker has already used his redshirt. Johnson is a senior. Johnson runs a lot and could get hurt. And maybe Barker isn't afraid of competition.

Who starts in the scenario that precedes your question? If SJ starts and Barker backs him up and gets minutes, I think Drew stays. Drew can move a team through the air and would be the projected starter for next year. If Hoak won the job, Drew may want to transfer.

Do you think it's hands-down SJ? Or will there really be a TRUE open competition where someone else emerges?

Apparently SJ has improved quite a bit from all indications and Hoak has been quite impressive as well....with Barker back, this is the best depth I can remember

Looking at results from last year I think Johnson has to be the big favorite, what was his record in games he started, 7-4? Considering the improvement UK showed last season a big part of it has to be contributed to SJ. The only way he doesn't start is if the other qbs beat him by a great deal if there really is a competition. If someone does happen to start over him, what effect will it have on the team? Johnson is a known product, who was very effective, the other 2 are not. Just like with us, the only way Eason doesn't start is he is injured, but I think Fromm is better in every area except arm strength and he isn't a 12 game starter, if both were true frosh Fromm would be ahead in the competition. Successful experience like SJ had is just hard to overcome.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
I think Barker transferring would be a mistake. He would be using his last year to become acquainted with a new offense and team. His problem has not been being stuck on the bench while another QB outplayed him, it is an unfortunate injury that sidelined him. Truth be told, Barker's injury forced Kentucky to develop it's running game and the wildcat offense after losing its starting QB. If he can regain the ability he showed very well against SM he will do very well for himself regardless. SJ will have to improve his short passing game and ball security this year and the loss of Badet and Boom definitely will have to be compensated for this year. SJ does bring two important qualities to the field, calmness and running effectively when a play breaks down. Can SJ elevate his passing on short and medium routes or will we need to augment an offense that lost it's two top home run threats and a thousand yard running back with a more complete passing attack that a healthy Barker could once provide?

Reactions: martycat1
UK's success will continue to depend on the other parts.
When SJ looked good, he looked real good. When he looked bad, he looked real bad. How much of his success was the two-headed monster UK had at TB with Boom and Benny and the true take the top off WR in Badet he had last year?
The Southern Miss game was the inconsistency of DB's career in a nutshell. Plus he's returning from back surgery.
Hoak looked good in the SBW game. But. How many times have I fallen for that thinking "This season we finally have a QB". Our defense has never failed to disappoint in elevating the prowess of the opposing QB.
SJ is not Aaron Rodgers. DB is not Matt Ryan. And GH is not Tom Brady.
Real question is will the fans be patient with the up and down nature and short comings of whoever the QB is or continue to be certain that the best QB is the backup or the backup to the backup.

I think Barker transferring would be a mistake. He would be using his last year to become acquainted with a new offense and team. His problem has not been being stuck on the bench while another QB outplayed him, it is an unfortunate injury that sidelined him. Truth be told, Barker's injury forced Kentucky to develop it's running game and the wildcat offense after losing its starting QB. If he can regain the ability he showed very well against SM he will do very well for himself regardless. SJ will have to improve his short passing game and ball security this year and the loss of Badet and Boom definitely will have to be compensated for this year. SJ does bring two important qualities to the field, calmness and running effectively when a play breaks down. Can SJ elevate his passing on short and medium routes or will we need to augment an offense that lost it's two top home run threats and a thousand yard running back with a more complete passing attack that a healthy Barker could once provide?
There are 3 ways Drew Barker can become UK's starting quarterback once again. He could beat out SJ, or SJ could get hurt, or Barker could win the 2018 starting job after SJ graduates. I think it's unlikely that SJ will get beat out this September. But I also think it's relatively likely that Barker will start more games here at some point. If he transfers, there will be other quarterbacks at his new school and Barker would be starting over. There is no evidence that Barker is afraid of competition. So I think he stays. I won't get into the strengths and weaknesses of SJ's game since they are well known. But a healthy Barker is not chopped liver. It's SJ's job to lose, but competition is a good thing. The 2018 starting job might be Barker's to lose.

Stoops said there will a competition, coach speak or true? you decide. I personally think Johnson has earned the right to be #1 entering fall camp, but the two others will be given the chance to unseat him. However I think for Johnson to lose his spot, either Barker or Hoak will have to be measurable if not significantly better all the way through fall camp. Although both Barker and Hoak may be better true passers, Johnson holds a couple of aces in his hand, a successful season including performing in close games, and his running threat especially out of the RPOs that defenses have to respect.

It's a nice problem you have, two guys with starting experience including last years returning starter and a 3rd guy up and coming with a strong skill set. However this works out I look for the backup to get more work this year than any backup in recent history.
This is spot on and the way it should be done.

With his questionable health, who would want him at the P5 level? I think he's better off easing into this season while getting some PT - there has to be some doubt in his & everyone else's minds, & then getting to show what he's got in '18, even with Hoak & Williams. If he gets beat out for '18, then go elsewhere for last year.

SJ will more than likely be the starter to begin the season, if his ball security hasn't improved he will most likely loose his spot to Barker.
Barker won the job last fall and lost it due to injury and has the tools to be a very good QB.
Regardless of who the starter is, the OL will need to protect the pocket much better than they did early last season and I think they will.
I've said this is going to be MS and UK's big year and should be in the hunt for the East right down to the wire.

With his questionable health, who would want him at the P5 level? I think he's better off easing into this season while getting some PT - there has to be some doubt in his & everyone else's minds, & then getting to show what he's got in '18, even with Hoak & Williams. If he gets beat out for '18, then go elsewhere for last year.

Why wouldn't they want him especially if it's just for a year or two? If you have a team like UK, who is now 2 schollies under the 85 limit it would not hurt to bring him in and let him compete.

I could see Barker transferring to UC, Marshall, or one of the MAC schools. He could go there any start immediately and give himself a shot at making a NFL Roster. At this point it is not about Barker being afraid of competition, it is about him possibly wanting to pursue a NFL Dream. I also doubt SJ can make it through the entire season without getting hurt.

Why wouldn't they want him especially if it's just for a year or two? If you have a team like UK, who is now 2 schollies under the 85 limit it would not hurt to bring him in and let him compete.
This doesn't matter unless Barker wants to go. I expect Barker to stay. He will be the front runner to start in 2018, and also the 1st alternative in 2017 if SJ gets hurt or underperforms. People are happy to overlook SJ's limitations because he has shown an ability to win competitive games. Barker has more talent, but has not yet shown an ability to win games in a more limited number of opportunities. We now know Barker was hurt all of last summer. We still don't know when his 1st injury occurred. But I doubt Barker is scared of competition.

It is going to be a hard decision. Their is an old saying - you don't lose you spot because of an injury. Also, everyone needs to remember that Drew Barker had a fantastic first half against Southern Miss. I don't think most people remember, but the injury that really took Barker out occurred in the second half of that game! Several of us talked about it during that game. I believe it occurred on the second series of the second half - could have been the first. Barker tried to play on and injury got worse. Remember, Barker was a four star quarterback rated almost as highly as Jarren Williams!

Steve Spurrier felt his downfall at South Carolina started with the loss of Drew Barker - if anyone remembers Barker was all in with South Carolina until Stoops got here! A lot of things to consider - Stephen Johnson did a great job - but you can't write off Barker. I would not be surprised by whomever starts, nor would I be surprised if all three QB's play this year at some point based on what we have heard and read about Gunner Hoak.

Go Big Blue

I cannot remember when UK had this many quality QBs either already on the team or committed to coming. A very nice problem to have.

It is going to be a hard decision. Their is an old saying - you don't lose you spot because of an injury. Also, everyone needs to remember that Drew Barker had a fantastic first half against Southern Miss. I don't think most people remember, but the injury that really took Barker out occurred in the second half of that game! Several of us talked about it during that game. I believe it occurred on the second series of the second half - could have been the first. Barker tried to play on and injury got worse. Remember, Barker was a four star quarterback rated almost as highly as Jarren Williams!

Steve Spurrier felt his downfall at South Carolina started with the loss of Drew Barker - if anyone remembers Barker was all in with South Carolina until Stoops got here! A lot of things to consider - Stephen Johnson did a great job - but you can't write off Barker. I would not be surprised by whomever starts, nor would I be surprised if all three QB's play this year at some point based on what we have heard and read about Gunner Hoak.

Go Big Blue

Nice post, I liked it but:

"Remember, Barker was a four star quarterback rated almost as highly as Jarren Williams!"

is incorrect, at least at the present time Barker has the higher rating. Williams just recently made four star, a 5.8, but Barker was a 5.9 pretty early on, and probably could have been rated higher if he had flirted with more teams and gotten more offers.

On the other hand Jarren has the possibility of rising a lot more, with the Elite 11 camp coming up and all the offers he already has, small possibility of even being a five star if he keeps climbing.

And, as I keep pushing, there is a difference in a 5.8 and a 5.9 in general, although we have just one of hundreds of examples at UK in Johnson that stars aren't everything by any means.

I don't think that Barker has graduated and if Johnson gets his short throws down he's a shoo in starter.

Here is what it comes down to. SJ is our least talented QB, however, he is a winner, and the locker room loves him, the team plays hardest for him.

Here is what it comes down to. SJ is our least talented QB, however, he is a winner, and the locker room loves him, the team plays hardest for him.
Pretty much agree, but I'm pretty sure he's more talented than at least Luke Wright.

They rotate the OL a lot why not add the QB that the OL group practices with more. Could Barker not enroll in the fall Semester and grey shirt and still have 2 years?

Agree about the importance of players playing hard and love in the locker room, however, I'm not so sure that same love didn't/doesn't exist for Barker as well. Again, remember what Barker was doing and how the team was moving before the injury. Players also understand the "injury" situation and that will not hurt Drew with this team IMO. The team seemed "fired" up under a healthy Drew Barker. The coaches have a very difficult, yet positive problem IMO, I fully believe we have 3 QB's who can lead this team now.

Team chemistry is a BIG deal, so it is interesting to see how this plays out. I think it will/should come down to Johnson and Barker battling it out for the job. I also believe that Gunner will be in an interesting position. He will still have three years of eligibility left after this year - but how will he feel if Barker takes over again about his playing time? From what I have read and heard, Gunner seems like a great young man and has excellent potential to lead the team.

It is also interesting to see what happens with Drew in the future. I didn't think about him becoming a graduate transfer and being immediately eligible for another school next year, as well as the possibility he might get two more years if the medical exception is approved. If I understand the rules correctly, if he is granted a medical redshirt exclusion - he could have two additional years as well?

Go Big Blue!

Reactions: Jbapp1978
The season will start with Johnson as QB until he proves he can't do the job. I expect him to have a banner senior year. As for number 2, I look for fierce competition between Hoak and Barker. I am not sold on Barker with the 2nd half of the Southern Miss game being the culprit. I question whether someone from Connor High School can compete in the SEC.That remains to be seen. With Johnson handling the ball so much in this run oriented offense, the number2 guy must get game reps in case of number 1 going down.

Reactions: EH4UK
As I stated above I think Johnson will be your starter at QB, maybe not the biggest arm or biggest guy, but he wins games. I think Barker and Hoak fight it out for his backup. Spring will be when the qb competion will be wide open with Barker, Hoak and WIlliams if he EE.. The best thing for the program is Barker wins, Hoak backs him us and Williams RSs. The worst thing is Williams wins, Barker and Hoak transfer. So don't expect a starting qb to be announced until fall practice is well underway. Kids want to play, getting passed by younger guys means that isn't likely to happen. Ramsey was going to transfer because he was passed by 2 younger guys leaving us with 2 qbs, but decided weekends in Athens were not too bad for a single young man and is staying.

I know that isn't idea, but its what happens when you improve your recruiting every year, you get better players who pass older guys on the depth chart.

Reactions: cat888
Johnson took the job after the UL game.
Yep, and then fumbled away the firm grip on it in the bowl game. Clear and deserved #1 into spring/summer but will be in a battle to hold onto it. Needs to perform well in the 1st couple games to avoid questions.

Reactions: Levibooty
As I stated above I think Johnson will be your starter at QB, maybe not the biggest arm or biggest guy, but he wins games. I think Barker and Hoak fight it out for his backup. Spring will be when the qb competion will be wide open with Barker, Hoak and WIlliams if he EE.. The best thing for the program is Barker wins, Hoak backs him us and Williams RSs. The worst thing is Williams wins, Barker and Hoak transfer. So don't expect a starting qb to be announced until fall practice is well underway. Kids want to play, getting passed by younger guys means that isn't likely to happen. Ramsey was going to transfer because he was passed by 2 younger guys leaving us with 2 qbs, but decided weekends in Athens were not too bad for a single young man and is staying.

I know that isn't idea, but its what happens when you improve your recruiting every year, you get better players who pass older guys on the depth chart.

If Hoak were to beat out Barker, that would be a real positive. We know Barker has real passing skills when he is healthy. If Hoak can beat out Barker, UK will likely have an outstanding QB. If Barker transferred as a result, that would be a shame, but something that is expected in the world of QBs. If Williams beat out both Barker and Hoak, that would be an amazing feat and we should be prepared for greatness. As fans, we want the best QB leading the team. How that impacts transfers is secondary.

From LHL article:

“That’s the plan for sure, just stay here all summer, get ready and start the competition back up for fall camp,” said Barker, who is on pace to graduate in August and plans to enter the MBA program at Kentucky after that.

If Hoak were to beat out Barker, that would be a real positive. We know Barker has real passing skills when he is healthy. If Hoak can beat out Barker, UK will likely have an outstanding QB. If Barker transferred as a result, that would be a shame, but something that is expected in the world of QBs. If Williams beat out both Barker and Hoak, that would be an amazing feat and we should be prepared for greatness. As fans, we want the best QB leading the team. How that impacts transfers is secondary.

Of course Williams winning the battle would mean you would have great qb play, but if Hoak or Barker want to play instead of staying and being a younger player's understudy that creates depth issues at qb. But you are correct, if Williams wins it UK would have extremely good qb play, but would also create a scarey situation everytime he got hit if the other 2 transferred. They could both or one stay, but they could also go if they want to play. Barker would likely stay I think because UK stuck by him, Hoak would still have 2 years and he would ware FCS out and get a shot at the league. Truthfully that isn't very likely to happen, I think Hoak will be your next qb, he looked very good in the spring game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT