ADVERTISEMENT

So the real question now is...

That just isnt going to happen with Lynn at QB. Lets be realistic.

Maybe, maybe not. But I know when he dropped back 3-5 steps last night, the field opened up. I think you have to play both at this point. If ss is 100%.

Bowden had 196 yards rushing last night. 196. Rushing.

Even if SS is a much better thrower (up for debate IMO) and 100% healthy (not knowable), you have your work cut out to convince me taking the ball out of the hands of a guy who ran for 200 against anybody is a good idea.

I think people are too worried about the idea that you have to start a guy with "QB" by his name in the program at QB. Play the guy that gives you the best chance to win.

Is UGa a tougher test? Of course. Ask yourself this, though--when their D line gets into our backfield on passing plays, who would you rather be back there holding the ball?

Tim Couch and Bowden are the 2 most talented offensive players in my lifetime at UK....

I want the ball in Bowden's hands as much as possible. Keep him at QB.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
Precisely. Anthony White was just discussing this on the morning show. Other defenses will have tape and know hes the QB for certain. Run spy in the middle and contain on the outside, gonna be a hell of lot harder for Lynn to find yards against those defenses.
Easier said Than done........ LB has escape skills, and can pass !

Tim Couch and Bowden are the 2 most talented offensive players in my lifetime at UK.

Well, you forgot several.

Jared Lorenzen- most prolific passer in UK history
Andre Woodson- second-most prolific UK passer
Jacob Tamme- All American, long NFL career
Randall Cobb- All American, long NFL career
Benny Snell- most prolific rusher in UK history

Well, you forgot several.

Jared Lorenzen- most prolific passer in UK history
Andre Woodson- second-most prolific UK passer
Jacob Tamme- All American, long NFL career
Randall Cobb- All American, long NFL career
Benny Snell- most prolific rusher in UK history

Wasn't referring to "accomplished"...

I'm referring to "talent".....

I stand by my comment.

The only problem with your thinking is Arkansas' defense was pretty dreadful. They ranked 97th in defense efficiency and gave up 31 points in a loss to San Jose State. Not taking anything away from Bowden because he was sensational, but against better defenses (and better coaches) I think they'll take away some of the things he was able to do last night.

And they gave up 31 to TEXAS A&M.

Depending on how healthy Smith is I would use him 70% of the time if 100% maybe 30% if less than 100%. In any event I LOVE the new found tool they now have in their tool box in the name of Lynn Bowden at QB. They can continue to use that situationally or simply to change things up and keep defensed constantly subbing in and out and scratching their heads on what's coming at them next. Florida does similar things with Emroy Jones who has a similar skill set as LB.

I would submit to you there was no more overrated team in the SEC than A&M at the beginning of the season.

Sorry but there is an excuse for everything on here, my advice is if you can’t enjoy a victory, don’t watch. But don’t ruin it for the rest of us. :)

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
Bowden had 196 yards rushing last night. 196. Rushing.

Even if SS is a much better thrower (up for debate IMO) and 100% healthy (not knowable), you have your work cut out to convince me taking the ball out of the hands of a guy who ran for 200 against anybody is a good idea.

I think people are too worried about the idea that you have to start a guy with "QB" by his name in the program at QB. Play the guy that gives you the best chance to win.

Is UGa a tougher test? Of course. Ask yourself this, though--when their D line gets into our backfield on passing plays, who would you rather be back there holding the ball?
Yes, yes, yes!!!!

Reactions: dmill4444
I’m kind of surprised this is even a question right now. Sawyer is a turnover machine and we looked terrible with him at QB against two really bad teams. And don’t give me injuries. Those injuries have nothing to do with his turnovers. It’s bad decision making. Now we finally win a game (where we don’t get blown out) and look like we actually have an offense that can score a few points, run the clock while also being explosive without turning it over every other drive and we want to bring him back in? Please, please tell me what I’m missing here. I really can’t understand the love affair with Sawyer, I’ve got to be honest with you. Love the kid but there’s a reason the dude was a backup at Troy. Stoops/Gran win with a run based offense. Lynn offers that. We don’t win slinging it all over the place. Not with an erratic, inaccurate QB that puts us in predictable run situations. This spread, read-option offense gives us a chance to actually score a few points. For a guy that hadn’t started a game at QB since HS Lynn looked damn good if you ask me.

Go ask Kirby Smart who he’d rather face at QB this week. I promise you it won’t be Lynn Bowden. Kirby basically spent half his press conference today talking about how hard Lynn is to defend and the strain he puts on defenses.

Last edited:
I have no idea what the best answer is, but the best argument against playing him at WR bc that is what he will play in the league: Derrick Ramsey.

I’m kind of surprised this is even a question right now. Sawyer is a turnover machine and we looked terrible with him at QB against two really bad teams. And don’t give me injuries. Those injuries have nothing to do with his turnovers. It’s bad decision making. Now we finally win a game and look like we actually have an offense that can score a few points without turning it over every other drive and we want to bring him back in? Please tell me what I’m missing here. I really can’t understand the love affair with Sawyer, I’ve got to be honest with you.

Injuries do matter no matter what you say. Is Smith going to be the returning Savior no. Pass protection hasn’t been good enough for a whole game before he gets killed. But he and Bowden could be used enough in the game for it to work with both playing QB. Play one until the offense stalls and then play the other. SEC defensive coaches are just too good when it comes to watching film on opponents. I just hope Stoops and Gran can see when a change needs to be done during the game.

Reactions: The-Hack
I went back and watched the game again and really focused on Lynn’s performance and decision making. I see both sides of the two options but if it were my call I’m going with Lynn even if Sawyer is healthy. The guy has elite vision and can turn on a dime. Something to be said for having your best player with the ball in his hands every play.

Last edited:
Reactions: sluggercatfan
I went back and watched the game again and really focused on Lynn’s performance and decision making. I see both sides of the two options but if it were by call I’m going with Lynn even if Sawyer is healthy. The guy has elite vision and can turn on a dime. Something to be said for having your best player with the ball in his hands every play.

Sawyer went 11 for 32 and 90 yards against a mediocre South Carolina team. 11 of 32. Let that sink in. Injured or not, I’ve never seen seen a stat line that bad. Never. The fact that people on this board are even still debating who should be QB at this point is beyond me.

Reactions: jnewc2
Injuries do matter no matter what you say. Is Smith going to be the returning Savior no. Pass protection hasn’t been good enough for a whole game before he gets killed. But he and Bowden could be used enough in the game for it to work with both playing QB. Play one until the offense stalls and then play the other. SEC defensive coaches are just too good when it comes to watching film on opponents. I just hope Stoops and Gran can see when a change needs to be done during the game.

I mean injuries matter but not when it comes to decision making. If a guy is healthy enough to throw 32 passes against South Carolina he’s healthy enough to go better than 11-of-32 for 90 yards. That decision making and accuracy related which we saw even when he was healthy. Lynn gives us the best chance to win. We’ve got to roll with him and I’d bet a good amount of money our coaches (who see both everyday and know a lot more about football than us) will have Lynn at QB this weekend, even with a “healthy” Sawyer available. They’re not stupid. Go listen to Kirby Smart gush over Lynn Bowden at his press conference today. I have a hard time believing he would be doing the same for Sawyer who went 11 of 32 for 90 yards against mediocre South Carolina.

I think some people are holding on to what Sawyer did in that Florida game and need to look at a bigger sample size. His problem is accuracy and decision making. That’s not injury related. Not to the point where you go 11 of 32 for 90 yards.

Lynn absolutely gives us the better chance to win. We can run the ball while also being explosive. We don’t turn the ball over. We can mix in some pass to keep the defense honest and we don’t get in the predictable run and pass situations that Sawyers brings where defenses can just tee off on us (see Mississippi State and South Carolina).

Last edited:
Sawyer went 11 for 32 and 90 yards against a mediocre South Carolina team. 11 of 32. Let that sink in. Injured or not, I’ve never seen seen a stat line that bad. Never. The fact that people on this board are even still debating who should be QB at this point is beyond me.

Bowden did a fab job Saturday but your statement is beyond belief with how unhealthy Smith was at SC. That is on the coaches no matter how Smith said he felt. You better hope that the rest of the team helps this Saturday and that Bowden doesn’t get hurt. We saw how worn down Cobb used to get in some games where he had to do it all and that’s when bad things happen when you’re tired.

I mean injuries matter but not when it comes to decision making. If a guy is healthy enough to throw 32 passes against South Carolina he’s healthy enough to go better than 11-of-32 for 90 yards. That decision making and accuracy related which we saw even when he was healthy. Lynn gives us the best chance to win. We’ve got to roll with him and I’d bet a good amount of money our coaches (who see both everyday and know a lot more about football than us) will have Lynn at QB this weekend, even with a “healthy” Sawyer available. They’re not stupid. Go listen to Kirby Smart gush over Lynn Bowden at his press conference today. I have a hard time believing he would be doing the same for Sawyer who went 11 of 32 for 90 yards against mediocre South Carolina.

I think some people are holding on to what Sawyer did in that Florida game and need to look at a bigger sample size. His problem is accuracy and decision making. That’s not injury related. Not to the point where you go 11 of 32 for 90 yards.

Lynn absolutely gives us the better chance to win. We can run the ball while also being explosive. We don’t turn the ball over. We can mix in some pass to keep the defense honest and we don’t get in the predictable run and pass situations that Sawyers brings where defenses can just tee off on us (see Mississippi State and South Carolina).

Just stop bashing the kid, and yes injuries can affect your decisions. If you’re hurting and you’re wondering if you can make the throw or not it affects your reaction time. Bowden is a great player but get the heck off Smith’s back it makes you look small.

Last edited:
Wish everyone in this thread who seems to think this is an easy call - either way - would reconsider. Face it, when it comes to the quarterback position, we’re between the rock and the hardplace. I’m in the crowd that thinks, despite Bowden’s obvious crazy physical gifts, now that there’s film on him AND the quality of defense is about to get markedly better, he’s going to be hard pressed to find those creases going forward. Of course, even though that’s fairly predictable, when it happens there will be much bellyaching here about how stupid Gran is. But like I said, it’s not an easy choice to go with Smith. As promising as he looked the only half we’ve seen him healthy.... there’s a chance that I) his propensity for the risky play can’t be coached out of him or II) he’s just brittle/easily injured. As they say, staying healthy is a talent.

Lynn will start - he wants to play QB now and he runs the team. They ain't making him unhappy
SS is dead meat back there

Wish everyone in this thread who seems to think this is an easy call - either way - would reconsider. Face it, when it comes to the quarterback position, we’re between the rock and the hardplace. I’m in the crowd that thinks, despite Bowden’s obvious crazy physical gifts, now that there’s film on him AND the quality of defense is about to get markedly better, he’s going to be hard pressed to find those creases going forward. Of course, even though that’s fairly predictable, when it happens there will be much bellyaching here about how stupid Gran is. But like I said, it’s not an easy choice to go with Smith. As promising as he looked the only half we’ve seen him healthy.... there’s a chance that I) his propensity for the risky play can’t be coached out of him or II) he’s just brittle/easily injured. As they say, staying healthy is a talent.

This argument that people are getting “film” on him so he won’t be able to get creases just doesn’t hold water. He got “creases” last game because the defense was off balance, not because they didn’t have “film” on him. I promise you Arkansas was ready for a running QB last week.

Plus that’s not even taking it consideration that (gasp) Lynn might get slightly better and more comfortable (like Stoops mentioned on his call in show tonight) after making his first start at QB since HS. It’s just an illogical argument all the way around.

I feel like people are really reaching for reasons to play Sawyer at this point. I guess it was that Florida game who knows. They point to Arkansas being bad and conveniently forget that MSU and South Carolina are pretty bad/mediocre themselves and we got blown out by both with Sawyer at QB. Not to mention Sawyer going 11 of 32 for a whopping 90 yards against mighty South Carolina. Injured or not I’ve never seen a stat line that bad.

Last edited:

Brittle? Anyone trying to be a passer in this program since Stoops has been here had been beat to death with poor pass protection.

This argument that people are getting “film” on him so he won’t be able to get creases just doesn’t hold water. He got “creases” last game because the defense was off balance, not because they didn’t have “film” on him. I promise you Arkansas was ready for a running QB last week.

Plus that’s not even taking it consideration that (gasp) Lynn might get slightly better and more comfortable after making his first start at QB since HS. It’s just an illogical argument all the way around.

If you’re right and we win, we have the best running QB since Cobb. If others are right let’s hope Bowden does not get hurt if he gets no help.

Soo, let me get this straight..

The argument against Lynn playing QB at this point is as follows:

-He moved the ball because Arky didn’t have “film” on him, not because the defense was off balance (like Kirby Smart and Stoops mentioned in their press conferences today).

-he’s going to play WR in the NFL so we should play Sawyer Smith so Lynn goes higher in the draft.

Seems legit...

Brittle? Anyone trying to be a passer in this program since Stoops has been here had been beat to death with poor pass protection.

Right. And maybe that’s the answer - just a combination of bad luck and poor line play. But what I’m saying is you also have to allow for the other possibility - which is maybe he’s just one of those kids who are injury prone.

Right. And maybe that’s the answer - just a combination of bad luck and poor line play. But what I’m saying is you also have to allow for the other possibility - which is maybe he’s just one of those kids who are injury prone.

So was Drew, Stephen, and Terry all injury prone or did the onslaught of defensive players on them constantly cause those injuries. Side note, Stephen’s 3 surgeries that he needed after the season was over is noreworthy.

I have seen many stat lines that bad. Including NFL stat lines.

Here's a stat line worse that Smith's. 5 for 20, 35 yards. Four picks.

Peyton Manning once sported that line. He was playing hurt when it occurred.

Reactions: Poetax
If Sawyer is healthy you play him. He is the better QB. LB was amazing but we will face only 1 or 2 defenses that are worse than Arkansas the rest of the way.

By playing LB you put yourself at a deficit at 2 positions not just 1. If LB is playing QB then he robs himself of this teams best WR, thus making him the worse option at QB even if him and Sawyer were exactly even in every other category.

I love what he brings to the table as a secret weapon and gimmicks but I would rather have him be at WR.

ADVERTISEMENT