ADVERTISEMENT

So the real question now is...

rockout1

Sophomore
Oct 21, 2012
If you have a 100% healthy Sawyer Smith do you play him the majority of the snaps or go with Lynn Bowden at QB going forward?

I think you have to go with SS. Lynn's future in the NFL is WR. That's where he needs to be.

That being said, last night was the first night all season we finally made a concerted effort to run the ball and do it creatively. Ive been screaming for it all season. SS' decision making has been an issue even when healthy.

Draw up a creative run plan, milk the hell out of it like we did, draw up a few passing plays to loosen the defense like we did using Sawyer who can thread it to Lynn Ahmad or Josh.

And dont be scared to hit a TE in the middle every now and then! [laughing]

Bowden from here on out. Smith even when healthy is questionable at reading coverages and very well could have had at least 3 more INT'S had they not been dropped. Bowden didn't force anything last night which was even more impressive. Going to be a real problem if he continues to sprinkle in a few passes.

Bowden from here on out. Smith even when healthy is questionable at reading coverages and very well could have had at least 3 more INT'S had they not been dropped. Bowden didn't force anything last night which was even more impressive. Going to be a real problem if he continues to sprinkle in a few passes.
The only problem with your thinking is Arkansas' defense was pretty dreadful. They ranked 97th in defense efficiency and gave up 31 points in a loss to San Jose State. Not taking anything away from Bowden because he was sensational, but against better defenses (and better coaches) I think they'll take away some of the things he was able to do last night.

The only problem with your thinking is Arkansas' defense was pretty dreadful. They ranked 97th in defense efficiency and gave up 31 points in a loss to San Jose State. Not taking anything away from Bowden because he was sensational, but against better defenses (and better coaches) I think they'll take away some of the things he was able to do last night.

Yep

Precisely. Anthony White was just discussing this on the morning show. Other defenses will have tape and know hes the QB for certain. Run spy in the middle and contain on the outside, gonna be a hell of lot harder for Lynn to find yards against those defenses.

Fair and valid point but considering he had about 10 days to prepare , Bowden's decision making was superb. The kid has football instincts which you can't teach. As the game went on he got more and more comfortable

A very exciting game, loved Bowden! Has to be one of the most exciting players in the country.

When we were penned on our goal line late, is there a reason we didn't try some runs around the ends? Inquiring minds want to know.

With a healthy SS, who starts? Does it matter? Maybe it was the competition that LB looked so good? We'll find out against UGA, if Lynn plays QB. But please, no more Wildcat.

I'll go along with what the coach with a National title said (Chizik) after the game. You start SS at QB.

Reactions: ukgrad2004
I think SS, if healthy, is the better choice. I can't see LB being able to outrun other SEC defenders with more time to prepare. What I'd like to see is mixing it up with LB playing QB on a few plays, SS throwing short, controlled passes, the same or more creativity in the passing game. Short yardage plays are not working consistently. I'd like to see CRod or Smoke instead of AJ in those situations. With a package for LB and another for SS, defenses would have a lot to get ready for.

It's a conundrum. That was a fantastic win, very memorable but that offense is unsustainable going forward. It's now on film for opponent study.

I’m a little torn as well but I like the look of the offense with Lynn at QB and 3 or 4 WR’s split out to give him room to operate. Like everyone else I’m not a fan of the wildcat.
Right. Jordan Rogers make some good comments about that as well...basically, spread the field and give Lynn some lanes to run, versus "condensing the formation" and jamming everything up

If you want to reduce your chances of winning, and take the air out of this team's momentum, you go with SS.

LB is our offensive stud. You feed the stud. The object of the game is to win. Period. Going with SS, reduces LB's touches by what 80%? 90%?.....LOL!!! Sounds like a great idea..........if you are an idiot.

I think you have to go with SS. Lynn's future in the NFL is WR. That's where he needs to be.

That being said, last night was the first night all season we finally made a concerted effort to run the ball and do it creatively. Ive been screaming for it all season. SS' decision making has been an issue even when healthy.

Draw up a creative run plan, milk the hell out of it like we did, draw up a few passing plays to loosen the defense like we did using Sawyer who can thread it to Lynn Ahmad or Josh.

I think that LB hit TE in the middle better than TW I agree with you though we need a healthy Smith and throw LB back there and do some of the things we did against the Hogs

I think if Smith is healthy then you go with him. Still, he could have a short leash. If he makes mistakes and turns the ball over then it becomes Lynn's game. You can also mix things up more with the Wildcat and actually show that Lynn is a threat to do anything in there.

The issue is that if we are forced to pass, can Lynn do it regularly? We saw that he could at least do it fairly adequately against Arkansas, but they are also a terrible defense. With tighter windows and faster defenses will he be as effective overall? Very hard to say. I wouldn't be mad about the decision the coaches make either way. Just don't get stuck with Smith if he is ineffective.

I think if Smith is healthy then you go with him. Still, he could have a short leash. If he makes mistakes and turns the ball over then it becomes Lynn's game. You can also mix things up more with the Wildcat and actually show that Lynn is a threat to do anything in there.

The issue is that if we are forced to pass, can Lynn do it regularly? We saw that he could at least do it fairly adequately against Arkansas, but they are also a terrible defense. With tighter windows and faster defenses will he be as effective overall? Very hard to say. I wouldn't be mad about the decision the coaches make either way. Just don't get stuck with Smith if he is ineffective.

Lynn Bowden is a better passer than TW right now. He hit the guys in stride, lol.....and he's had a couple weeks to work on it. Could he improve on his passing next week? I think so ; )

How do you all think pulling LB from the QB position after this win will impact the team's psyche?............or do you think????

Lynn Bowden is a better passer than TW right now. He hit the guys in stride, lol.....and he's had a couple weeks to work on it. Could he improve on his passing next week? I think so ; )

How do you all think pulling LB from the QB position after this win will impact the team's psyche?............or do you think????

Right. You're the genius and all the experts that have coached and played college football are the idiots. Got it. [eyeroll]

Last edited:
Bowden.

He opens things up for Rose and Smoke so much more than Smith does and, frankly, there's not an appreciable dropoff on passing plays (only argument to play Smith).

Sure, you lose out on him catching the ball but give me his QB scrambles over the 4 catches he gets out in the flat as a WR.

Just gotta make sure Ali is comfortable back there catching punts.

Thank you. Glad you finally came around. Little bit over the top, but there is more truth there than you would think.

Bowden threw the ball 11 times. A good chunk of those 11, at least about 4 or 5, were actually forward pitches to a sweeping WR, which count as a pass. So, a good portion of his stats were from that. We have a very small sample size of what he can do throwing the ball down the field. Some of them were very good, such as the TD throw and a few of the RPOs to the TE. However, he also missed several, such as the deep throw from the endzone where he threw it 5 yards out of bounds and the wheel route to C-Rod. The run game opens up more with him and that is the biggest reason to keep him at QB, but the issue still becomes whether or not he can throw it enough down the field to keep defenses honest, especially when we play a defense ranked higher than 97th in the country.

At this point we certainly cannot say with confidence that he is able to make all the throws that might be necessary against a better defense. If the coaches feel confident that he can do that then that is fine and I am glad to have him back there, but I imagine that he will struggle passing against better defenses, ones that force him to pass and take away our run game.

Bowden threw the ball 11 times. A good chunk of those 11, at least about 4 or 5, were actually forward pitches to a sweeping WR, which count as a pass. So, a good portion of his stats were from that. We have a very small sample size of what he can do throwing the ball down the field. Some of them were very good, such as the TD throw and a few of the RPOs to the TE. However, he also missed several, such as the deep throw from the endzone where he threw it 5 yards out of bounds and the wheel route to C-Rod. The run game opens up more with him and that is the biggest reason to keep him at QB, but the issue still becomes whether or not he can throw it enough down the field to keep defenses honest, especially when we play a defense ranked higher than 97th in the country.

At this point we certainly cannot say with confidence that he is able to make all the throws that might be necessary against a better defense. If the coaches feel confident that he can do that then that is fine and I am glad to have him back there, but I imagine that he will struggle passing against better defenses, ones that force him to pass and take away our run game.

Man, your assessment reminds me of what we get from pencil neck Adam Schiff............The fact of the matter is, LB's limited throws have been much better than the content put forth by a previous starter - TW. Yes the out of bounds pass was out of bounds, and beyond his arm capacity...but how many of those do we try? Why did we try that one GranShaw? Poorly thoughtout for sure.....The pass to CROD was a miss....similar to a multitude of TW throws, and SS has had his fair share in his brief stint. BOTTOM LINE here: We've got NO stud passers that put LB's passing skills to shame. SS is probably a better passer, but he is not dynamic, and he NOT the leader of this offense. LB is THE leader of this offense. Hands Down. Period! End of discussion! Who runs the offense? The QB. LB IS THE QB. Get on board. Discussion is over. All that remains is for this staff to fumble the decision.....and I am sure they will waffle and likely fail. We don't have a high level offensive staff here. Many facets of offense that are wrote for other programs, are an adventure at UK. Clock management and point selection/decisions are missed here consistently, so it is not a far stretch to see this staff getting the QB decision wrong. They've done it repeatedly since arriving.

If smith is healthy and anything like we saw the first 3 quarters of Florida SS without question still while mixing in packages for Bowden that includes having him pass. If we get the banged up ineffective SS then obviously LB but still question how effective he would be against better defenses but it wouldn’t be worse than what we witnessed at Miss St and USCjr.

Staff has to be willing to go with what is working and quit trying to shove square pegs in round holes which they did last night as well despite pulling out the win. I loved watching LB drop back in normal pass mode as it opens the field completely up but yet think he only did that twice which resulted in two large QB scrambles.

Man, your assessment reminds me of what we get from pencil neck Adam Schiff............The fact of the matter is, LB's limited throws have been much better than the content put forth by a previous starter - TW. Yes the out of bounds pass was out of bounds, and beyond his arm capacity...but how many of those do we try? Why did we try that one GranShaw? Poorly thoughtout for sure.....The pass to CROD was a miss....similar to a multitude of TW throws, and SS has had his fair share in his brief stint. BOTTOM LINE here: We've got NO stud passers that put LB's passing skills to shame. SS is probably a better passer, but he is not dynamic, and he NOT the leader of this offense. LB is THE leader of this offense. Hands Down. Period! End of discussion! Who runs the offense? The QB. LB IS THE QB. Get on board. Discussion is over. All that remains is for this staff to fumble the decision.....and I am sure they will waffle and likely fail. We don't have a high level offensive staff here. Many facets of offense that are wrote for other programs, are an adventure at UK. Clock management and point selection/decisions are missed here consistently, so it is not a far stretch to see this staff getting the QB decision wrong. They've done it repeatedly since arriving.

How many down field passes did Bowden throw in the game?

Bowden's here to help UK win football games first and foremost, if the NFL happens for him...good.

Smith will probably get the call and after mistakes will still be considered by some here as the best option.

How many down field passes did Bowden throw in the game?

Don't keep stats during the game. Hit several to TE's, TD to Clevan, etc. Could easily double his attempts this next week. Since he's been playing WR for a few years now, he should probably improve with each new outing, don't you think......................or we can yank the frickin' ball from his hands and put it back to SS, thus cutting LB's involvement by what, 90+%??????? LMAO! Yeah, sure ; )

Don't keep stats during the game. Hit several to TE's, TD to Clevan, etc. Could easily double his attempts this next week. Since he's been playing WR for a few years now, he should probably improve with each new outing, don't you think......................or we can yank the frickin' ball from his hands and put it back to SS, thus cutting LB's involvement by what, 90+%??????? LMAO! Yeah, sure ; )

So, since you cannot even answer the question, then it is obvious that the sample size that we are looking at (which is probably nothing more than 6 or 7 throws) is much too small to make a judgement on whether or not Bowden is now a better passer than our Day 1 starter.

I am perfectly fine with the staff starting Bowden next week. I agree that his legs are something that are invaluable. Still, I am also not just ready to claim that he is without a doubt our best option when we will face much better defenses that will take away the run.

Reactions: mrschwump
I’ve said for 3 years we should have run an offense that looked like the Steve Slaton WVU teams. Last night we saw it. If you play that you Def play a mobile QB. If you’re going to go traditional you play SS.

Reactions: BigTyrone
I know Arkansas isn’t a world beater but they are improving. They gave aTm all they could handle. Our win was a good one in that it gives us a boost of confidence. Just hoping the Georgia that played SC yesterday shows up and not the one that played Notre Dame.

Reactions: The-Hack
If smith is healthy and anything like we saw the first 3 quarters of Florida SS without question still while mixing in packages for Bowden that includes having him pass. If we get the banged up ineffective SS then obviously LB but still question how effective he would be against better defenses but it wouldn’t be worse than what we witnessed at Miss St and USCjr.

Staff has to be willing to go with what is working and quit trying to shove square pegs in round holes which they did last night as well despite pulling out the win. I loved watching LB drop back in normal pass mode as it opens the field completely up but yet think he only did that twice which resulted in two large QB scrambles.
I’m thinking a couple of those “scrambles” were actually designed runs with some deception thrown in to spread out the defenders and get them turned around expecting pass.

Precisely. Anthony White was just discussing this on the morning show. Other defenses will have tape and know hes the QB for certain. Run spy in the middle and contain on the outside, gonna be a hell of lot harder for Lynn to find yards against those defenses.

Hard to have a spy if we run 4 wide. If Bowden can complete around 55% of downfield passes, we will stay at an advantage with the rpo

I’m thinking a couple of those “scrambles” were actually designed runs with some deception thrown in to spread out the defenders and get them turned around expecting pass.

Regardless it worked better than the designed QB draws that Gran loves to call upon

If you have a 100% healthy Sawyer Smith do you play him the majority of the snaps or go with Lynn Bowden at QB going forward?
The Arky game was a small sample against an unimpressive SEC defense. I knew Arky wasn't very good, but I was kind of surprised how slow their defense is on the back end.

Lynn Bowden is a very good football player. Bowden is one of the better receivers in the SEC, and he is a good enough athlete to make this transition over the bye week and beat one of the worst defenses in the SEC at home. Presumably, he would grow in the role with more reps and more experience. It's a question of what role suits the team's interests best in the long term. I have no doubt that Bowden will be a receiver in 2020. But what happens between now and December is hard to predict, especially since we still don't know how badly SS is injured.

SS played poorly against MS St and SC after he was injured. Before he was injured, he flashed some skills against FL. He, too, can get better with more reps and a return to better health. But we don't know the time frame for SS to get healthy. That could take some time.

So the answer is that our coaching staff has some decisions to make, and they will make these decisions based on what they see in practices. After last night, I believe the temptation to continue down this new path with Bowden at QB will be too great to turn off after the win. But GA's defense is a different animal. So it may take a couple of weeks for all of this to play out.

Bowden's here to help UK win football games first and foremost, if the NFL happens for him...good.

Smith will probably get the call and after mistakes will still be considered by some here as the best option.
Agree with the first part. Wish our fans had that same attitude about the basketball team.

Disagree with the second. Arkansas is terrible. Tag me after Georgia if he looks as good or better. Odds are its going to be a long day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT