ADVERTISEMENT

So...is UK Football turning the corner next season?

Depends on the definition of "turning the corner."

-Do you think UK will go 10-2 next yr and win the East? Technically, it's possible but it's not very likely.

-Do you think UK can get anywhere from 7-9 wins......possibly be ranked in the top 25 for a short period during the yr? This is likely scenario.

-Do you think UK will go 10-2 next yr and win the East? Technically, it's possible but it's not very likely.

-Do you think UK can get anywhere from 7-9 wins......possibly be ranked in the top 25 for a short period during the yr? This is likely scenario.

The former I consider to be a pipe dream for next season. The later is what I would consider "turning the corner".

For next season I would be happy with turning the corner. Anything less at this point I would consider a major disappointment. Anything more would be outstanding. I'm just curious what the consensus is amongst the Lair regs.

Last yr, the vast majority of fans were thinking 6-8 wins. So, I think most would think 7-9 for this coming season.

Though, keep in mind that the loudest portion of any fanbase are the extremists. There will be a few who will shout <5 wins or >10 wins....and they'll shout loud enough to make you think that they are greater in population.

Last year they had the talent but didn't start to develop a winning mentality until they played Alabama.

2017's team has the talent and the mentality to come out and shock the country.

I think we turned the corner this past year. Now, we let the good times roll. Based on returning starters, depth, experience and the most important thing - schedule - this team should expect to contend for the East. It will begin and end with Florida. A win over Florida and the sky could be the limit - another loss and this team will probably have a good year by UK's standards - 7 wins. Probably the biggest issue is still going to be what happens at Quarterback. Steve Johnson did a great job last year - but he also may have played as well as is possible for him - is that good enough to get to the next tier? Or maybe a healthy Drew Barker wins his job back.

Since we have the same OC's back, I expect this team to be really dangerous!

Go Big Blue!

Reactions: DCFseattle
I think we turn "the corner" as others have said with 7-9 wins, and a very good bowl game, a continuing climb in the SEC and another strong recruiting class, in '18.

While I GREATLY hope we end the Florida streak, and add one to our "streak" against Louisville, I can't equate, specifically, one or two wins as having turned the corner. We turned an important corner by bowling in '16, yet we lost at home to So. Miss. Should we lose to Florida, Louisville and Tennessee, and otherwise win out, that 9-3 record would be our best in 40 years, put us in a New Year's Day Bowl, and make us the talk of college football, shy of the Final Four talk.

8+ win season is what I'm looking forward to and I think that is turning the corner for UK football. Then we start building on that kind of success and try maintaining it on a consistent basis. That would be a major accomplishment and turning the corner for a program that has been bad to mediocre for so many decades.

The former I consider to be a pipe dream for next season. The later is what I would consider "turning the corner".

For next season I would be happy with turning the corner. Anything less at this point I would consider a major disappointment. Anything more would be outstanding. I'm just curious what the consensus is amongst the Lair regs.
Lair >>>>>>>>>>> Raftards

You gotta start somewhere. But I have long believed that when you have minimal football tradition or history that elusive "corner" is really a big, wide sweeping turn in the road that takes years to "turn". JMO. [winking]

Peace

When UF is a must win game then I would say UK is turning the corner. Can't ever remember when I actually felt KY may have the better team and should win that game.

I predicted 7 wins last season. I think 8 wins is very doable. 9 wins is very possible. The schedule sets up for it but KY has got to beat UF to have any chance of making it happen.

Just like Louisville
Exactly like Louisville. And you can include just about any team without a strong football history that is enjoying some degree of success.

Louisville started to "turn the corner" in 1985 when they hired Schnellenberger or maybe 1990 (if you want to count from his first "good" team). It is a good discussion as to whether or not they have yet "completed the turn" (EDIT).

Regardless, the point is, "turning the corner" takes more than a few "good" seasons. At one time or another it looked like Curci, Claiborne, Mumme and Brooks had turned the corner. JMO

Peace

Last edited:
Reactions: ukdesi
I agree with Wildcard. I'll even go as far as to say that we started the turn with Brooks and are still into the turn. In this case we will turn the corner when:

-recruits don't view us as a 4-8 program yr in/out who is having a good run of luck
-opponent coaches and fans don't see us as a program that only makes a bowl game every 7-9 yrs.
-Cat fans aren't biting their nails praying that we don't fall off a cliff and end up being a 4-8 program again for the next 60 yrs.

I agree with Wildcard. I'll even go as far as to say that we started the turn with Brooks and are still into the turn. In this case we will turn the corner when:

-recruits don't view us as a 4-8 program yr in/out who is having a good run of luck
-opponent coaches and fans don't see us as a program that only makes a bowl game every 7-9 yrs.
-Cat fans aren't biting their nails praying that we don't fall off a cliff and end up being a 4-8 program again for the next 60 yrs.
We will be better this year. Does that translate to "turning the corner" is a loaded question. We should improve over last season and take another step forward as a program. Where that leads, no one knows.

We've turned corners every year Stoops has been here in the way of recruiting, facilities and wins. I would prefer to say we should take another step up the ladder of progress. We have everything in place for a great season this year - talent experience, coaches, facilities, schedule and fans. You couldn't set it up any better IMO.

We've turned corners every year Stoops has been here in the way of recruiting, facilities and wins. I would prefer to say we should take another step up the ladder of progress. We have everything in place for a great season this year - talent experience, coaches, facilities, schedule and fans. You couldn't set it up any better IMO.
I agree plus most recruits remember whose good in a 5 year span. If UK is good the next 3 years recruits will see a trend.

Reactions: SanAntonioCat
I agree plus most recruits remember whose good in a 5 year span. If UK is good the next 3 years recruits will see a trend.

I believe UK will be better next year, but they aren't the only team in the East who is going to be better, we will be quite a bit better, USC will be a good bit better, that frosh qb they pulled the rs off is a difference maker, alot like Connor Shaw was, better passer but not quite the runner, Missouri will be better. I see UT dropping off a good bit, UF some, don't really know about Vandy, Webb is back so they could have a pretty good running game and will be good defensively. MSST will be better, and while dropping Bama is a plus, adding OM isn't exactly an easy game, while they are likely to be under some serious sanctions and their frosh class wasn't very good, they still have 3 classes that were the best they could buy. So without mass transfers after the sanctions and bowl bans, they won't be a cakewalk, if Freeze can get the team back. He lost them last year, maybe because of the investigation, maybe losing Kelly, maybe assistants looking to get out as soon as possible or a combinations. But the frosh QB is very good, very mobile and very good passer. If Freeze regains control and they don't have massive transfers, they could be one of the West's top 3 teams.

I am still pessimistic about our chances. Will we beat Southern Miss at their place when we couldn't at ours? How about beating UL 2 years in a row? Some of the wins in the SEC were over teams that have been down and are improving and we will have to play them on the road (SC and Vandy). It took a last second FG to beat MSU at home and we have them on the road this year.

We couldn't get the job done with Georgia at our place and the odds aren't good to win at their place. Then you have our 2 biggest problem teams that we almost never beat in Florida and Tennessee. About the only big positive is replacing Alabama with a team that is getting hit with penalties from the NCAA in Ole Miss.

I've been burned over the years expecting better and I am just going to start staying in a wait and see mode until we prove we can do more than beat the worst teams in the conference, a couple of mid majors, and occasionally UL. We might win 7 or 8, but it isn't out of the realm of possibilities that we only win 5 or 6.

We will take another step forward. Whether that step will look like "turning the corner" will depend on one's expectations. I am optimistic on our chances of putting together an 8 or 9 win regular season and getting another monkey off our back.

Last edited:
Honestly this year I would like us to define what kind of offense and defense we will be noted as. This helps recruiting and allow new recruits to see what to expect. Wins, anything 7 and above, and the only reason is because I think this year coaches will be putting their brand of football out there for the players to swallow, and sometimes that takes time. Gran had to change to fit the personnel, and Stoops had to step in and help the defense, hopefully this year both get to see the vision that they want to play.

I think this is accurate and fair,the definition of such a non specific term as "turning the corner" is more difficult to pin down than the term itself.

If we are in every game in the 4th quarter(not getting blown out) , match or exceed our win total of this year and show improvement in our areas of weakness from last year then I think we have turned a corner. In addition,I will say,if not this year then when,we have enough pieces,the staff either can put them together or they can't.

We passed the test last year(after an awful start) the bar is a little higher this year but we must pass the test again if the corner is to be turned.

Reactions: Poetax
Gimme nine wins and I'll think we won the NC

Normally I would say the same. But with next season's schedule…I don't know man...it really is set up great for UK. We should get 8 wins. And 9 wouldn't be crazy…like it usually would with the tough schedule that we normally have every season.

But i have been a UK football fan for 40+ years. Which means my hopes have been high before…only to be crushed. So i am tempering my enthusiasm. I suggest everyone do the same.

I stand firm on 4 wins. 3 cupcakes and mizzou. We have only won I THINK 2 AWAY SEC games since who knows how long. We barely beat vandy, uscar at home. We're not touching Ole miss, UF, UT, miss st, Georgia or UL. 4-8. YES I'm a fan, no I'm not a Tard fan, no I won't go root for somebody else.

I stand firm on 4 wins. 3 cupcakes and mizzou. We have only won I THINK 2 AWAY SEC games since who knows how long. We barely beat vandy, uscar at home. We're not touching Ole miss, UF, UT, miss st, Georgia or UL. 4-8. YES I'm a fan, no I'm not a Tard fan, no I won't go root for somebody else.

Yeah well, if that happens then we will have definitely turned the opposite corner…headed the wrong way down a one way street.

Yeah well, if that happens then we will have definitely turned the opposite corner…headed the wrong way down a one way street.
Don't see that happening at all,stranger things have happened and we are talking UK football but I think he is overstating the case for Ole Miss,Miss St and probably UL as well

Don't worry about it, you're not the only person who is lousy at predicting how teams will do, there are many.

Reactions: KingsportKat
ADVERTISEMENT