ADVERTISEMENT

So before the Wisconsin game Cals record was 42-13 against ranked teams ..

Zion said he decided on Duke in October. This for the poster that said we led for him until it became clear that PJ and maybe JV would be returning.

The ranking of the four 1-seeds in the 2015 tournament were

1. Kentucky
2. Villanova
3. Duke
4. Wisconsin

Wisconsin didn't even get to the 1-seed line until Gonzaga lost late in the season. The selection committee got the brackets right.

The brackets are more than about the 1 seeds. By far the best teams were on the UK side of the bracket. Go back and look. And that Nova team was overrated as a 1 even tho by record they deserved it.

soooooooo, duke wasn't fatigued?
Really?! This is a joke, right?! I watched the Duke telecast during that Duke-Michigan State game and even the Duke guys were saying how they would have the advantage over the winner of the UK-Wisconsin game. Said that game was gonna be a flat out war and that Duke had a much easier opponent in Michigan State. Duke ended up blowing 7 seeded Michigan State's doors off. State just wasn't all that good of a team that year. They were very weak in the middle. Meanwhile, Wisconsin had to beat the overall number one seed and undefeated UK team. Duke had much more left in the tank than either Wisconsin or UK possibly could have. Hell, Wisconsin missed SIX free throws in the first half alone, against Duke in the title game. I bet they didn't miss six free throws in any FULL game that entire season. They were a phenomenal free throw shooting team. Sure sign of fatigue. Also, Dekker went 0-6 on 3s in the title game, IIRC. Dude was spent. UK and Wisconsin had an absolute battle, while Duke had their typical cupcake.

Last edited:
I would like to add that the NCAA selection committee gave Duke the path we should have had .
THANK YOU, We had both Arizona and Wisconsin on our side of the bracket, we had to earn the title. Wonder why Duke never gets the hard draw? I love when people say if your the best, you should have to beat the best for the title.However, when I ask if that applies to Duke, normally all I hear are crickets chirping. How many times have we played Louisville or Wichita State in the tournament recently, this bullsh@t doesn't just happen by chance. In the old days we were constantly running into Marquette and Al McGuire. Kentucky has always been treated differently in the tournament seeding than Duke or for that matter North Carolina.

Cal himself has said the platoon system hurt us recruiting

Losing Antiqua was monumental in recruiting. Barbee has to go. Justus May. We have to get monster recruiter in ASAP

Really?! This is a joke, right?! I watched the Duke telecast during that Duke-Michigan State game and even the Duke guys were saying how they would have the advantage over the winner of the UK-Wisconsin game. Said that game was gonna be a flat out war and that Duke had a much easier opponent in Michigan State. Duke ended up blowing 7 seeded Michigan State's doors off. State just wasn't all that good of a team that year. They were very weak in the middle. Meanwhile, Wisconsin had to beat the overall number one seed and undefeated UK team. Duke had much more left in the tank than either Wisconsin or UK possibly could have. Hell, Wisconsin missed SIX free throws in the first half alone, against Duke in the title game. I bet they didn't miss six free throws in any FULL game that entire season. They were a phenomenal free throw shooting team. Sure sign of fatigue. Also, Dekker went 0-6 on 3s in the title game, IIRC. Dude was spent. UK and Wisconsin had an absolute battle, while Duke had their typical cupcake.

umm....they weren't fatigued when duke beat them AT wisconsin earlier in the season.....they weren't beating duke, tired or not........

Interested in your response to my post given that you used the Wisconsin game to not only discredit Cal, but to say it cost us a title, a perfect season, caused other future recruits to not come here or to not play as hard as they should when they come here, and it was all based entirely on a premise that isn't true.

Oh, didn’t know your post was a response to my post. Please go back and read my post again as you obviously read things that I did not say. I did not say Cal showed favoritism to the twins. I did not discredit Cal, I said other coaches are using what happened in that game and the platoon system to convince top tier recruits not to risk playing for Cal and sitting behind players with lesser talent. A blind man could see that Ulis and Booker were more talented than the twins. The twins DID NOT SHOOT 50% for the game. Fact check. And as far as Booker playing a horrible game, he DID SHOOT 50% for the game as did Ulis. Getting beat constantly on the pick and roll was more about bad coaching than poor defensive play. The definition of insanity......never mind.
Oh, the loss did cost us a perfect season. Fact
That loss cost us a National Championship. Fact
Cal abandoned the platoon system. The twins played 36 and 37 minutes each. Booker and Ulis less than 20 minutes each. Fact.
If Andrew was unable to get the ball into KAT, and he either couldn’t or wouldn’t, either way Cal should have put Ulis in and given him an opportunity to get it done. If you can’t get the call inside, then the defense was obviously collapsing on KAT and Booker should have been the option as another outside shooter.
And last of all even you posted that recruiting has fallen off since 2015 and that platooning was part of the reason.

If we're going to rehash the Wisconsin game for the billionth time, can we at least keep it within the realm of what actually happened?

People say over and over that Cal is too loyal and he played the twins because they're his favorites and cost us the game. It isn't true.

Devin Booker was beaten like he stole something all night long by Sam Dekker. I mean embarrassed as badly as I've ever seen a good player be embarrassed at this level.

The only person nearly as bad as Booker was Lyles in the exact same way. Neither guy stopped him, and Lyles watched about 7 offensive rebounds be gobbled up by Wisconsin.

Between them, they had 2 rebounds, 1 assist, no steals and no blocks.

The twins shot 50% from the floor, both scored in double figures, and had 1 turnover between them.

Willie was also a total space cadet and was destroyed by Kaminski while also not rebounding or being engaged. But people blame the twins.
Yeah Willie laying an egg and allowing Kaminsky to go wild still haunts me. People mention the Twins but I actually think not playing Dakari more hurt us.

Reactions: susan2361
I am going to get scalded for saying this, but the Wisconsin game may prove to be Cal’s Waterloo. Cal lost a lot of credibility for the way he handled the last 20 minutes of that game. Cal is loyal to his players to the detriment of team success, which not only impacts wins/losses but also impacts other players morale/goals/ambitions and desire to give it all for the team.
In an effort to empower the twins to hopefully enable them to secure a spot in the draft(as I feel sure Cal made that commitment to them and their parents) Cal chose to play them ahead of Booker and Ulis which was total nonsense. Cal’s stubbornness (ego) or loyalty to the twins cost Cal a perfect season, cost UK a national championship, but worst of all it cost Cal coaching credibility with recruits and their parents which other coaches are using against Cal to siphon off some of the top recruits who do not want to risk sitting behind the previous year recruits that failed to get drafted.
The platoon system also worked against Cal because he abandoned it just when he needed to stick with it the most (last half of Wisconsin game.) Cal will never admit it, but that decision to play the twins over more talented players changed everything for his system that he was trying to sustain at KY.
Easy to sell top recruits on why it is risky signing with Cal, you may end up riding the bench behind a lesser talented one and done that wasn’t one and done.
Fire away. JMO

I get what you’re saying but Booker got destroyed that game. Decker ate him up.

I get what you’re saying but Booker got destroyed that game. Decker ate him up.
Did Duke play a switching man defense when they beat Wisky? NOPE. They played a zone, something our hard headed coach refuses to play, till this year. Blame the twins, blame WCS, blame Booker, blame Ulis, but the fact remains that Cal was in charge of all them. Cal refusing to change up defenses after repeatedly being killed with switches is why we lost that game.

I actually think not playing Dakari more hurt us.

Both Dakari and Dom had a good game in a winning effort vs Wisconsin in 2014. I know our team was loaded with stars in 2015, but I do think if they had played just a little more it might have made a difference. They had been there before—and won. I do believe experience matters.

When I rewatched the final few minutes, it became abundantly clear, though, that with 2 whistles blatantly against Cal and our team, someone did not want UK to win the title that year.

Duke completely lucked out that the rule of displacing a defender didn't happen until a couple seasons later. Jokafor shoved his defender under the basket on damn near every single possession, all season long.

And I would like to remind everyone that Wisconsin shot 22 free throws and we shot 10 even though we were the team trying to drive the ball to the basket almost every possession down the stretch. But that would sound like I was trying to blame the refs. LOL!
Also, please understand that I am definitely not blaming the twins for this loss. Even Cal would tell you that loss fell squarely on him. The twins were “enabled” by Cal by keeping them in the game too long and at a critical time when at least one of them should have been on the bench.

I think we can all agree neither Cal nor recruiting have been the same since that epic loss.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Counting the Wisconsin game after today he is 10 -12 against ranked teams . Did that game take something out him like it did me ? Did platooning hurt our recruiting that much ? Is that the first year Duke embraced the one&done? Is that the year Antigua and Strickland left ? Is it a combination?
So he is 52-25? I’ll take it.

ahh.....the "refs"......well, as i posted upstream, if the refs hate uk so much, and love duke, there wouldn't be any "smashing of duke"....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT