ADVERTISEMENT

Snell and Allen contemplating not playing in bowl game.

Can't say I really blame them. That being said, the article really didn't say much. Lots of speculation.

Allen, I don’t really blame. He is a top 10 pick

Benny, is looking at rounds 2-4 and should play imo.

Even though Allen is who we would miss more out of the 2.

Reactions: EastLansingCat
I think if a player has one outstanding game he should just sit out the rest of the season and wait for the draft. The Alabama QB put up 50 on the Ville at the start of the season and has nothing left to prove. He should sit down and wait a few years. Can't risk injury like the poor UCF QB.

Last edited:
I have been saying this for weeks, esp for Allen and people got upset for even suggesting. Slipping even one round is huge money. Per USA Today on Jaylin Smith.

The injury was brutal: his ACL and LCL were torn, and he had nerve damage. He ended up being drafted in the second round by the Cowboys — but likely, even with an insurance policy, lost a large amount of money and was placed on injured reserved by the Cowboys this week. Should he have gone in the top five, as projected by some draft experts, his contract would be in the $20 million range. Instead, he got $4.42 million guaranteed.

I don't blame Allen. Benny could help his stock though . I'm not sure that he isnt trending down right now . Looks like a beat up back. A month to get healthy might help him.

Reactions: Pike 96
I understand these guys are on the verge of making a dream come true and football is a dangerous sport with a high risk of injury. But as a fan who has supported them 3-5 years it's tough to take. Benny plays a high risk position, he has alot of touches for the year, I do understand him wanting to cut down on the risk of injury, even getting speed coach to help him with his testing which could mean being drafted in the second round or being an UDFA. Allen plays a somewhat safer position, but he is almost assured of being a top 5 pick unless teams go QB crazy, and an injury could result in the loss of a fortune./

But whatever their decision, they have given their all for UK, and have given the UK fans a couple of legends to talk about for years.

Just another reason more and more people are becoming disinterested in sports.
Thank you kev69. You always have the right words in times like these. UK will get a nice bowl game but if our star players are afraid of playing why should I as a fan put down hundreds of dollars and support the team? I want to support the team 100% and I do. I have season tickets and live 800 miles from Lexington. But for that support I expect our entire team to be focused and anxious to play their best in the bowl game. Life has bad breaks but you can not live in fear.

The team's living in fear raises it's ugly head every year when we play Tennessee. Can' they set fear aside and play the damn bowl game for the fans? We have waited decades for a team like this.

Having said that I expect to be in Orlando or Tampa if that is where we go.

The bowl games, besides the playoff, has really turned into an exhibition game. The main part is we get another month of practice to get reps with the younger guys. I know I don't want to get blown out in a bowl game. I also get players not waning to play when they get parents and agents in their head and I know they spew out the Smith kid from Notre Dame as their example, it's a tough call. But, from a fan's perspective and school perspective, they worked with these kids, spent thousands of dollars on advertising them in Time Square, fans show up to support them, Tough call. My question is, When they put up the NFL players on the video board next year, do you feel differently if they bailed on the bowl game? Do you think their legacy at UK changes? I think Benny and Josh have a brand in Lexington that is pretty strong for the rest of their lives, does it change a little if they don't play?

Every upset fan, if a future NFL draft pick, would be considering the same thing. Risk losing millions for a bowl which has very little significance. Both CJ and Snell had frustrating injuries last night. I could see CJ’s angst when he limped off the field. I know he was loving his role and the way he was abusing his opponent, but getting an injury in a blowout win at the end of the season would really suck. It would also suck as a fan to see one of these guys go down.

The most important thing about this bowl is preparing our young replacements. They NEED these practices. I think both Smoke and CRod can play in the bowl and retain their RSs. Can Kengera?

Both have given their bodies and have miraculously made it to the end still healthy. Don’t ruin it now in a glorified scrimmage. Might as well get a jump on next season without them and evaluate others in good competition conditions.

These guys received scholarships to play FB.

So play FB!
If a business comes to you and says we will give you a contract for 10 million dollars to work for us. You start next week, but if you get hurt at your current job you only get 100 thousand. You still gonna go to work tomorrow? Have to look at it from these guys perspective. For us it’s a game. For them it’s their lives.

One of the five biggest games in UK history, a rushing title on the line and possible sack record and UK is going to get steam rolled because 3 of our best players sit out?
Something is inherantly wrong with that.
Where is the loyalty to the University and their fans that made you what you are today?

If they sit I wont watch.

Hope they let us know before we decide to buy plane tickets, hotel rooms and tickets to the bowl game. Sorry, but fans and coaches (whose jobs depend on Ws and Ls) should get some consideration too, I don't want to go see UK's 2nd stringers play against Penn State's second stringers

The one thing I do want to add is they can skip the bowl but Stoops needs to stop them from talking about it until we get the invite. Between now and then the position is they are playing. Having superstars like Benny and Josh are a major draw for these bowls. Knowing they won't play might make us less attractive. So they do need to not say that until the invite comes in.

I selfishly want them both to play but I understand why they wouldn't. Josh could be the best draft pick we've produced since Couch and Benny is the best running back we've had in... maybe ever.

Protect that money. They were given scholarships but they can give back to the university with those NFL numbers and help recruiting if they keep those draft numbers.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Thank you kev69. You always have the right words in times like these. UK will get a nice bowl game but if our star players are afraid of playing why should I as a fan put down hundreds of dollars and support the team? I want to support the team 100% and I do. I have season tickets and live 800 miles from Lexington. But for that support I expect our entire team to be focused and anxious to play their best in the bowl game. Life has bad breaks but you can not live in fear.

The team's living in fear raises it's ugly head every year when we play Tennessee. Can' they set fear aside and play the damn bowl game for the fans? We have waited decades for a team like this.

Having said that I expect to be in Orlando or Tampa if that is where we go.
Perfectly said SC.

Benny and Josh are two UK legends and all time fan favorites. Skipping out on your teammates and the fans that have supported you, because you MIGHT get hurt, is pretty weak IMO.

This isn’t some bad bowl game in Shreveport or Memphis where the team is 6-6 and no one cares. This is a chance for a 10 win season and a really good bowl win. I guess it won’t be long when guys will quit halfway thru the season to protect themselves from possibly getting hurt.

CBB is headed down the tubes, but I thought CFB was on solid footing. Perhaps it’s going to start slipping also.

They’ll still be loved, but it’s a bad look for them.

I’m hoping this is just speculation and they both play in the Bowl game.

Last edited:
Benny will play and we will have to cater to him to get record instead of doing what we did last night. Allen is not goingbtomplay imo has much more to lose

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
ADVERTISEMENT