ADVERTISEMENT

Smoker/ Grilling

I've got a propane smoker. Love it. Easy to keep the temp where you want it and overall operating cost would be a lot less than electric (had an electric grill years ago and you see the meter spinning while it was on).
Don't know the smoker's brand, but it's the kind that looks like a small fridge with a door. Has 3 shelves in it, smoke box for chips, water tray, and vent on top for smoke. Has a temp gauge in the door but it's way off so it's useless.
Have had this same smoker for at least 15 years. Have smoked more shoulders, ribs, and chicken than I can remember. This thing is idiot proof and nobody’s ever said “not as good as (insert smoker snob product). I’ve also smoked deer, meatloaf, rabbit, dove, and quail and probably other stuff I can’t remember. If this thing fails I’ll be getting another one.

The WSM looks to be a nice unit for a beginner, don't think I want to deal with charcoal for hours to smoke a pork butt though. Looking into a propane smoker also, probably go electric though.

Harry Soo wins competition bbq on a WSM.

I’ve had one for ten years now. I don’t fool with charcoal throughout a cook. I set it up before the food goes on and it can stay at temperature for 15 hours or so. I’ve only had to add more coals in the winter and that was after it going all night when it is cold outside.

I have the 18.5” and have done a full packer brisket on top with two butts under it. It can do four butts. I love the thing.

I've got a propane smoker. Love it. Easy to keep the temp where you want it and overall operating cost would be a lot less than electric (had an electric grill years ago and you see the meter spinning while it was on).
Don't know the smoker's brand, but it's the kind that looks like a small fridge with a door. Has 3 shelves in it, smoke box for chips, water tray, and vent on top for smoke. Has a temp gauge in the door but it's way off so it's useless.

About how many hours will the grill size tank last on your smoker? Do you guys use one of the meat thermometers that you leave in the pork shoulder while you're smoking it to monitor the internal temp?

Not sure on the number of hours, but I imagine it lasts for several smokings. A full tank will easily do an 8 hour smoking of say pulled pork. I've never run out of propane while smoking.
Sometimes I use the meat thermometer in the meat and sometimes not. Of course if you're smoking something that will take a number of hours you won't leave it in the meat until you're within an hour or two of where you want the temp to be. One of my meat thermometers is the digital type where you can set the high temp limit and when it hits that it starts to beep. Comes in handy.

Reactions: awf and ekywildcat
We put an outdoor kitchen in a few years ago. We spent too much on a Bull stainless grill that’s plumbed into our natural gas line. I bought a big green egg about three years ago and the only thing I use that stainless grill for is to support the egg. Cleaning the grate, lighting additional charcoal, etc.

I recently bought a souis vide has completely changed the game. It is so much easier and the final product is so much better. I still use the egg to reverse sear. It is nice to get it to 700° for searing but if you don’t want to spend a lot of money on a grill the sous vide is absolutely the way to go.

I still love smoking on the egg and I’ve always loved using it as a grill as well. But using this souis vide combined with the cast-iron skillet on the egg is ridiculous.

I bought a sou vide appliance on clearance at Walmart a couple of years ago. I have only used it 1 time on some steaks. I wasn't all that impressed but I admit that i need to get it out and give it another try.

About how many hours will the grill size tank last on your smoker? Do you guys use one of the meat thermometers that you leave in the pork shoulder while you're smoking it to monitor the internal temp?
Full tank probably lasts 8-10 10 hour smokes cause it’s set so low. Yes I will put in a meat thermometer and leave it the whole time so you can get pissed when it stalls!

Reactions: ekywildcat
May give that WSM another look. Everyone seems to like them.

You can even go a 'cheap,' option and just use a Weber Kettle. It probably isn't best for longer smokes, but it will work. Then it doubles as both a grill and as a smoker. Then if you enjoy that and want to invest further you can either get the WSM, or get the electric/propane or whatever you think you might be more comfortable with.

Reactions: ekywildcat
Have a Weber kettle and a Pit Barrel Cooker and both do a great job for just about anything you could want to smoke. The PBC allows for great capacity and it's just fun seeing the meat hanging inside the barrel. Both options are about as inexpensive as you can get and still gets the job done really well.
I second the Pit Barrel Cooker. Made in Kentucky, owned by a veteran. And it really is fool-proof. I've got a Char-Broil Kettleman grill that I've even smoked on. But, that's a fantastic grill, especially for the money.

You can even go a 'cheap,' option and just use a Weber Kettle. It probably isn't best for longer smokes, but it will work. Then it doubles as both a grill and as a smoker. Then if you enjoy that and want to invest further you can either get the WSM, or get the electric/propane or whatever you think you might be more comfortable with.

Until this week, using both the WSM and the Weber Kettle was my set up. They are very different, and you can't do the smoking on the kettle that you can on the WSM. They work well as a tandem.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Until this week, using both the WSM and the Weber Kettle was my set up. They are very different, and you can't do the smoking on the kettle that you can on the WSM. They work well as a tandem.

I agree. I prefer the WSM, but the kettle has worked for me to smoke on in a pinch. Still, I can get a pretty good smoke out of a kettle, but it requires more nursing, and I am usually only doing it on shorter smokes.

Reactions: Wildcat Willy
I second the Pit Barrel Cooker. Made in Kentucky, owned by a veteran. And it really is fool-proof. I've got a Char-Broil Kettleman grill that I've even smoked on. But, that's a fantastic grill, especially for the money.
There's a guy with a YouTube channel...from Oklahoma...cooks a lot like the old cowboy days, chuck wagon syle. Name is Kent Rollins. He was smoking something on one of the videos I watched and it looked like he used the Pit Barrel. Don't think he said what it was, just that a mfg had sent it to him to test it out. He seemed to like it. So @ekywildcat can dial up his channel and find the video and see what he thinks.

I've found that, when cool enough, wrap the chub tightly with foil and refrigerate at least overnight to let the smoke flavor meld in it for evenness in the taste.

I am serving it tomorrow, so I'll try to wrap them. Did you do big slices or cubes or what?

I got 3 of them. Slices were in my head but might do some of each.
Go for it! I smoked 18, 3#lb "coronavirus" chubs for delivery to family and friends. So many ways to enjoy it and virtually everyone loves it...makes a good change of pace. Long shelf life and freezable as well. ENJOY!

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Spatchcocked a chicken over the weekend served on a bed of zucchini pasta with asparagus and parm. First time using this method on chicken, and I'll never do it any other way -- it's fool proof and delicious. I've tried everything with chicken -- sous vide, beer can, rotisserie, etc., and none of those styles come close for doing an entire chicken.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
I have old country wrangler stick burner, a vision kamado, and a traeger pellet. I just don’t get the pellet love other than the ease because it’s not the taste.

I have an older maverick and I'm a huge fan of it.

https://www.maverickthermometers.com/thermometers/

There may be better options now, but it's served me well for 5+ years and I haven't really treated it all that kindly.

Nice, I like the look of the top one, even though it's the cheaper model.

I just have a Javelin now, but as everyone here knows.. you can't BBQ/Smoke with that, just sear and basic grill.

I want to do some Pork Shoulder in the spring, just to get my feet wet.. So I need something with can do internal AND external temp, and something that can notify me as well.

Nice, I like the look of the top one, even though it's the cheaper model.

I just have a Javelin now, but as everyone here knows.. you can't BBQ/Smoke with that, just sear and basic grill.

I want to do some Pork Shoulder in the spring, just to get my feet wet.. So I need something with can do internal AND external temp, and something that can notify me as well.

That one should do the trick. The one I have is an older model. It has 2 probes and you can set one or both to a temperature range or a meat/temperature. The receiver beeps if you hit the target temp on the meat, or if you get outside the temp range you set. I imagine the newer models are somewhat similar, and better.

This is the actual model I have: Amazon product ASIN B00FOCR4UI

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Between all of turkey and ham for the holidays...smoked bologna FTW. Smoke low & slow until desired color, wrap and refrigerate over night. Easy cold weather cook. Eat as sandwich, or on crackers with favorite cheese. Great change from holiday food and leftovers.

I bought a sou vide appliance on clearance at Walmart a couple of years ago. I have only used it 1 time on some steaks. I wasn't all that impressed but I admit that i need to get it out and give it another try.

I actually hate sous vide. I went all in one time because the allure is awesome -- cook it to the exact temperature you want and then sear! Perfect every time!

But in my experience it just came out rubbery no matter how much I tried to perfect it.

I will say that sous vide carrots in butter and honey is one of life's great pleasures.

my experience it just came out rubbery no matter how much I tried to perfect it.

I've found it to be pretty foolproof, although I think Sous Vide for steaks is very overrated. The reverse sear method in the oven and on the stove requires less prep and gets the same result.

Like you said, carrots are great sous vide. I think it's a great way to cook chicken and fish, and just batch cooking/weekly meal prep. A little more effort than a crock pot, but still very much has that set it and forget it convenience -- plus crock pots turn everything into mush and are basically "pot roast" machines. Hate em'.

The method below with chicken thighs is :fire::fire:

It's a total niche item for sure; I wouldn't recommend investing in sous vide tools unless you really geek out in the kitchen.

Sous vide chicken thighs

Reactions: Hankshaker
I've found it to be pretty foolproof, although I think Sous Vide for steaks is very overrated. The reverse sear method in the oven and on the stove requires less prep and gets the same result.

Like you said, carrots are great sous vide. I think it's a great way to cook chicken and fish, and just batch cooking/weekly meal prep. A little more effort than a crock pot, but still very much has that set it and forget it convenience -- plus crock pots turn everything into mush and are basically "pot roast" machines. Hate em'.

It's a total niche item for sure; I wouldn't recommend investing in sous vide tools unless you really geek out in the kitchen.

Sous vide chicken thighs

I've never done the reverse sear.. I've found that even with like 1.5 inch steaks... ribeye, strip, etc... I can do it all on the stove top in a super hot cast iron.

but.. it leaves the kitchen super smokey sometimes, and the house kinda smells like a fast food restaurant for a day after lol.

Reactions: Mossip
If you have a chimney starter and a small grate, try that outside. I love the border to border sear on cast iron, but you're right, that smoke and smell are a pain in the ass. Hell, I've never tried it, but I bet a small skillet on the chimney starter would get piping hot too...

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
If you have a chimney starter and a small grate, try that outside. I love the border to border sear on cast iron, but you're right, that smoke and smell are a pain in the ass. Hell, I've never tried it, but I bet a small skillet on the chimney starter would get piping hot too...

Damn, might have to wait until spring. Grill is already put away for the winter. Up in the Adirondacks, Been snowing the last few days and sun is set by like 4:30..

From here on out, it's crockpot meals hahaha.

Sous vide chicken thighs

I mean you're right. I just found the results underwhelming because you still have to grill it or sear the stuff anyway and my wife hates sous vide stuff because "It smells funny" or something -- so it just wasn't worth the trouble for me, no matter how awesome it looks on paper.

Reactions: Mossip
I bet a small skillet on the chimney starter would get piping hot too...
This is genius. I will be trying this.
I have a wood stove in my workshop that I put cast iron on every deer season and deer loins come out of deer straight into pan. Wonderful

I posted this last year. Still using the same grill but I do kinda miss a gas grill for the speed of heating and being ready to cook.
I got a Blackstone and a weber for the best of both worlds. Get a gas grill too, brother.

ADVERTISEMENT