ADVERTISEMENT

Smoker/ Grilling

55wildcat

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
First and foremost, this thread is not to mock anybody on their equipment or their methods of how they smoke or grill ( with all this new millennial shit, who knows anymore )....Now, I myself am a believer in Weber products. They are really not that expensive and really hold up to their reputation.. I have a Weber gas grill, plus a smokey mountain smoker and a Weber 22.5 charcoal elite grill..All are reasonably priced, well made, and accurate on their temps. I just recently bought a traeger pellet smoker/grill..Tonight I smoked a pork loin, not tenderloin but pork loin, there is a difference. The traeger held temp + or - 2 degrees. The only downside to a pellet smoker is the "smoke setting" ( traeger) is only 175 to 200 temp, anything above that you are simply cooking with wood pellet flavor. However there is a product ( amazen) smoker tubes/trays that is a available. I bought the 6, 12 inch and long smoke tray.. It allows you to smoke ( with their product ) at higher temps..IE I like to smoke shoulder or loin at 250- 275 degrees. This traeger and amazen tube does just what I want, smoke with a little higher temp and it holds temp within 2 + or - degree's. This basically is a review on the traeger 34 series pellet smoker, other than buying the smoker tubes and tray to smoke at higher temp this is a 5 star smoker grill. and I fully recommend it.. the cost of this pellet grill with front shelf and cover was right at 1100.00 but could easily be the last grill / smoker you ever buy. JMO

Last edited:
First and foremost, this thread is not to mock anybody on their equipment or their methods of how they smoke or grill ( with all this new millennial shit, who knows anymore )....Now, I myself am a believer in Weber products. They are really not that expensive and really hold up to their reputation.. I have a Weber gas grill, plus a smokey mountain smoker and a Weber 22.5 charcoal elite grill..All are reasonably priced, well made, and accurate on their temps. I just recently bought a traeger pellet smoker/grill..Tonight I smoked a pork loin, not tenderloin but pork loin, there is a difference. The traeger held temp + or - 2 degrees. The only downside to a pellet smoker is the "smoke setting" ( traeger) is only 175 to 200 temp, anything above that you are simply cooking with wood pellet flavor. However there is a product ( amazen) smoker tubes/trays that is a available. I bought the 6, 12 inch and long smoke tray.. It allows you to smoke ( with their product ) at higher temps..IE I like to smoke shoulder or loin at 250- 275 degrees. This traeger and amazen tube does just what I want, smoke with a little higher temp and it holds temp within 2 + or - degree's. This basically is a review on the traeger 34 series pellet smoker, other than buying the smoker tubes and tray to smoke at higher temp this is a 5 star smoker grill. and I fully recommend it.. the cost of this pellet grill with front shelf and cover was right at 1100.00 but could easily be the last grill / smoker you ever buy. JMO
Big Green Egg,

Big Green Egg,

To me the down side of an egg as well as my weber 22.5 is grill space. Yes you can zig zag several racks of ribs in a upright holder, but it seems to me you get a much better product with them laying flat, now on the weber you can place two racks on the upper shelve then two on the bottom laying flat but the top drips onto the bottom and you have to remove the top to spritz or wrap the bottom.. Another plus IMO for a smoker that will hold four - six racks of ribs on a single grate laying flat.. I reckon it simply comes down to preference..

Reactions: awf and wildcatdonf
I was going to get a traeger until I did some research. Ended up with a Camp Chef Lux36 with a sear box attachment. Love it. I've done pork roast, thick strip steaks, wings, couple of butts, and hamburgers so far. Got a tri-tip and some salmon to try this week. I love you. Get you a good thermometer. I got the 2 probe ThermoPro, next time I'll get a better one.
Smoked the strips and reserved seared on the sear box was excellent! Some of the best steaks I've had period.

Reactions: 55wildcat
Pellet grills are a great option for most people. As stated the biggest knock is the smoke but the smoke tubes for a fantastic job. The big thing with pellets is the ease of use. You simply set it and you can go low and slow or you can turn it up and cook burgers or steaks. I sell Green Mountain Grills at my hardware store and would say they are very comparable to Treager, Camp Chef etc. Higher end brands are Yoder, Fast Eddy, Rec-Tec, Memphis etc..Those are all a step or two above but the price reflects it.

Eggs are terrific as well. My first real smoker was a Big Steel Keg, which is similar to an egg but made with insulated steel rather than ceramic. I live the fact that I can go low and slow or go 700 degrees and seer a steak. I still have it to this day.

Webber's are great products that have stood the test of time. I honestly don't have a lot of experience with them but still see a lot of them out there. Drums have really gotten popular the past few years. From ugly drum kits from Big Poppa Smokers to Gateway and Hunsaker drums.

Personally I have a Deep South Gravity feed as my primary smoker. It uses the same fuel source as an egg with the lump coal and is insulated. The lump is poured in a shoot and lit from the bottom and the lump feeds down as it burns. I use a BBQ Guru controller to keep a precise temperature. These cookers are pricey and probably over kill for the average Joe cooking for the family. We do competition KCBS BBQ and a little catering on the side so it serves our purpose well. I also gave a pull behind reverse flow and a water cooker.

Bottom line is every smoker will have pluses and minuses. The key is finding hot spots etc. and enjoy cooking on what you have. I could talk BBQ for days with a beginner or a BBQ Pitmaster, it really doesn't matter to me. It's my release from my real jobs and fun for our family.

Smoke on and have fun.

Whoa, wait, what? There have been several of these threads over the years and I don't recall seeing you post in any of them. Don't big time us bud, we're the Paddock.

Here's my setup...

Have a Weber kettle and a Pit Barrel Cooker and both do a great job for just about anything you could want to smoke. The PBC allows for great capacity and it's just fun seeing the meat hanging inside the barrel. Both options are about as inexpensive as you can get and still gets the job done really well.

Last edited:
I have had some good results with Weber. I use the stainless steel mostly for seafood and can get a lot of oysters on it. With September soon to be here oyster season will be here so it is going to get a lot of use. The blue stainless steel is for steaks, chops etc. It makes great ribs.

enhance

Whoa, wait, what? There have been several of these threads over the years and I don't recall seeing you post in any of them. Don't big time us bud, we're the Paddock.

Here's my setup...

That's a nice set up. Not trying to big time anyone. I honestly very seldom check over here. I stay on the HOB mostly and never post there either. I own a small grain farm, a hardware store and have a 5 year old and a 10 month old. Time for message boards isn't something I have a chance to do a lot. I do love talking UK sports and BBQ though.

Check us out on Facebook, our team name is Local Yokels BBQ. We will be competing in Owensboro in September at Diamond Lake Resort if any of you are in the area. We also qualified for the American Royal next month and the Jack Daniels World Chsmpionship in Lynchburg, Tn October 25-26.

This is our 3rd yes on the pro side and we have been very fortunate to have some good finished. Doesn't mean we are any better Cooks than any of you guys at cooking BBQ. It probably means we are better at cooking competition BBQ but that's an entity unto itself. It also means I'm dumb enough to spend a lot of money for a hobby that won't ever pay out but we enjoy it.

I'll try to figure a way to post my set up for competition later. Smoke on.

Always love seeing people's grilling set up...we're looking to add a fridge and water next year.

2iuQCr.jpg

Don't you have a pizza oven out there as well? I'm building a bar to go out there too. It will be the same style and wood as the cook table. I would like to build a pizza oven but it's too late in the year for me start that.

That's a nice set up. Not trying to big time anyone. I honestly very seldom check over here. I stay on the HOB mostly and never post there either. I own a small grain farm, a hardware store and have a 5 year old and a 10 month old. Time for message boards isn't something I have a chance to do a lot. I do love talking UK sports and BBQ though.

Check us out on Facebook, our team name is Local Yokels BBQ. We will be competing in Owensboro in September at Diamond Lake Resort if any of you are in the area. We also qualified for the American Royal next month and the Jack Daniels World Chsmpionship in Lynchburg, Tn October 25-26.

This is our 3rd yes on the pro side and we have been very fortunate to have some good finished. Doesn't mean we are any better Cooks than any of you guys at cooking BBQ. It probably means we are better at cooking competition BBQ but that's an entity unto itself. It also means I'm dumb enough to spend a lot of money for a hobby that won't ever pay out but we enjoy it.

I'll try to figure a way to post my set up for competition later. Smoke on.

Sounds like fun! Feel free to drop any of your super secret competition recipes anytime you want.

Don't you have a pizza oven out there as well? I'm building a bar to go out there too. It will be the same style and wood as the cook table. I would like to build a pizza oven but it's too late in the year for me start that.

Yeah...too late in the year to add anything else at this point. We put in a large, inground pool this spring, right behind the grills. Kind of tapped out mentally to build anything else. I have to get an updated picture.

A few things. The Big Joe has a pizza oven bolt on for the times we want to make outdoor pizzas. Investing in a permanent pizza over structure seems a bit excessive to us for the handful of times we want to do pizzas outside.

Was thinking of building an outdoor fireplace as well, but I think we are going to just build a fire pit and look at buying an insert to limit the amount of smoke from the fire pit - essentially all fire and zero smoke.

Once we add the fridge and sink, we plan on tiling the top so it will look more seamless as I don't want to pull up the current concrete counter top. A nice Spanish or Greek tile pattern for the counter top.

Always wanted a nice outdoor space and happy to be finally building all these things....seeing other people's set up give me ideas.

Reactions: Mossip and ymmot31

Sounds like fun! Feel free to drop any of your super secret competition recipes anytime you want.

I'll be perfectly honest, I don't have any super secret recipes that I would call recipes. I've got a lot of recipes where I use other people's products mixed together to make some great competition BBQ. I get asked all the time if we make our own sauce or rubs and the answer is nope. Blues Hog is used in some form or fashion in every category we cook. It's always mixed with other sauces, glazes or juices but you better have a little of that Blues Hog flavor in there for those judges. Rubs? You'll see a healthy dose of Smoking Guns Hot, Cimmaron Docs Sweet Rib Rub and others in every competition Cooks pantry.

I've got a brisket recipe I'll share but I don't use it for competition anymore. I use an injection and a wrap recipe when I cook for others or cater.

Put 2 quarts of water in s large pot. Add 1/4 cup of Meat Revival Brisket Injection, Big Poppa Smokers Cattle Prod it any other brisket injection powder you like like Kosmos, Butchers etc.. stir over low heat.

In another smaller pan add 1/2 cup of water and put on low heat. Get better than bouillion beef base and aujus base. Add 3 tbsp of each to the small pan and stir with a wooden spoon until it's not gritty anymore. After you do this add it to the large pan of injection and water. Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes or so stirring occasionally.

It should taste really beefy and a little salty. You could get some crackers and eat the stuff as a soup.

Inject about 16 ounces or so into your brisket. Once you inject wipe with paper towel. I put in fridge or cooler about 6 hours. Add a layer of garlic salt and a layer of lemon pepper. I like fiesta brand spices. Then give a medium coat of Smoking Guns Hot. Let it sweat about 2-3 hours.

Put on smoker at whatever temp you like. I've cooked at 225 and I've started at 450 and went back down after the brisket plumped up. It really doesn't matter. Cook until the internal temp is around 160. I put 2 sheets of foil in a full size hotel pan and place the brisket in it. Add about 1-2 cups of the beef base you made, add about 4 patts of salted butter to the top and wrap tightly. Put back on until it's probe tender. You want the probe to go in like warm butter. If it's a choice brisket I start probing at 203, if it's an A9 Wagyu for competition I start probing at 208. There is no magic number, every brisket is different.
Rest for 2-3 hours and then cube the point and slice against the grain the flat. Personally I seperate them before I even cook them but that's just for competition. Honestly a Texas brisket won't be injected and will just need SPG but once you've enhanced the flavor it's hard to go back.

If you want to sauce it use something like Blues Hog Smokey Mountain Sauce.

Vision kamado
Old Country wrangler offset stick burner

now have added a small traeger pellet

Last edited:
Large Egg and small egg....gonna do a Butterball Turkey Breast Roast ( Aaron Franklin recipe) and some some prime babybacks tomorrow to take to my brother in Tn. Thursday. Also gonna take some Western Ky burgoo. Not sure people in Tn. get good food like this.

Reactions: Mossip
I've had a cheap charcoal smoker. I now have a cheap electric smoker. To be honest, my kids and I find the meat we smoke to be the best we've eaten (we eat barbecue whenever we go south).
IMO, the keys are:
1. Enough smoke. For us, nothing you buy at any barbecue restaurant is nearly smokey enough. Granted, we like a very strong smoke taste.
2. Using a good meat thermometer.
3. Letting the meat rest several hours before eating. We sometimes cover the meat and finish it in the oven. Seems to help tenderize some cuts.

I like the electric smoker because it is more convenient and has more consistent heat.

For smoking I have a Masterbuilt safe style smoker, a 14 inch Weber SM and an 18 inch Weber SM. I grill either on a gas grill if I am wanting it to be quick an easy, or I use charcoal on the Weber Kettle if I have more time.

Resurrecting this old thread, because I know how to use the search function, and we have a few newcomers that like starting 2 or 3 threads a day. Most of the new threads fit into the political thread, the corona-virus thread, or one of the 3 random discussion threads.

I really, really digress....

I just ordered a Weber Performer Deluxe, and I'm super pumped to get back into grilling this summer. I know I overpaid for some metal shelving and a propane ignition, but eff it. New rig...

15502001AB_1800x1800.png

For anyone looking for a budget grill, I couldn't suggest my old set-up more: the "Old Smokey". Made here in the good ole' U.S.[of] A. and it is a helluva workhorse. It looks goofy but the thing holds temp like you wouldn't believe. I loved the thing.

19%2522+Built-In+Portable+Charcoal+Grill.jpg

Anyway...what are the paddock developments in the grilling world? I'm sure the BGE is still the overwhelming favorite, and I realize I'm edging close to that price point. I'd also really like to hear any good youtube channels for grilling recipes, as most of them are pretty gimmicky (ahem...bbq pitboys...ahem).

Resurrecting this old thread, because I know how to use the search function, and we have a few newcomers that like starting 2 or 3 threads a day. Most of the new threads fit into the political thread, the corona-virus thread, or one of the 3 random discussion threads.

I just ordered a Weber Performer Deluxe, and I'm super pumped to get back into grilling this summer. I know I overpaid for some metal shelving and a propane ignition, but eff it. New rig...

15502001AB_1800x1800.png

For anyone looking for a budget grill, I couldn't suggest my old set-up more: the "Old Smokey". Made here in the good ole' U.S.[of] A. and it is a helluva workhorse. It looks goofy but the thing holds temp like you wouldn't believe. I loved the thing.

Anyway...what are the paddock developments in the grilling world? I'm sure the BGE is still the overwhelming favorite, and I realize I'm edging close to that price point. I'd also really like to hear any good youtube channels for grilling recipes, as most of them are pretty gimmicky (ahem...bbq pitboys...ahem).

Last summer I sold my weber performer ( it was KY blue)..A guy from bowling green drove here to buy it cause he wanted a blue one, only for me to miss that good ol real charcoal taste..
So I bought this weber.. It's the same grill size but smaller in general..So now I have this weber, a gas weber, Traeger pellet smoker, and blackstone flat top. Trying real hard to talk myself out of buying the blue gateway drum..Im currently automobile poor, lawn equipment poor, and now grill gear poor......smh
master:WEB233.jpg

Reactions: ymmot31

15502001AB_1800x1800.png

you can also use your new weber as a smoker for when you wanna do something smaller. I bought this smokenator for my weber kettle.. works great

Smokenator-1000.jpg

Reactions: Mossip and ymmot31

15502001AB_1800x1800.png

I've had Performers for the last 20 years (2) gave one away...
Gas start is very nice/PDQ.... Best, all around,charcoal OMO... Enjoy!

Been trying my hand at Weber Charcoal grilling. Definitely an art-form as opposed to propane grilling. The first two times I used it, I could not get the thing past 325 degrees. Come to find out I didn't leave the chimney lit long enough lmfao.

15502001AB_1800x1800.png

My biggest issue right now is NOT having some good counter space to prep everything. I live in a 2nd story apartment that has a back deck. I have to walk from the kitchen, down the hall way, through an office, and through an enclosed patio just to get there. It's a real pain going back and forth to begin with.

If I didn't already have the Weber 22in, that thing above would certainly be worth it. Instead, I have to go buy some sort of grill cart (suggestions?) and a garbage can.

Back in the day, that is what the ladies called me "Big Smoke". Most did not like the 12 inch tube. LOL, just kidding.

I mostly just use a plan ole Charcoal grill, nothing fancy. If you can cook, you can cook. Hell I grilled some spare ribs on my father in laws "Aussie" grill ($49.95 from Kroger) and the ribs where absolutely great. I do have a big barrell smoker for larger cooks of 10 or more people.
Has anyone ever went to amazingribs.com ? I got a recipe for a rub years ago "Meatheads Memphis Dust" off there, been using it ever since then. It is really good for ribs, shoulders, loin. Been following their rec for internal temp of 204 degrees for pork shoulder / butt and it has not failed me yet. They did some kind of study where 204-205 is when the juices rise from the butt and then settles back on top of it to form the bark. They actually call it a science for grilling. But damn you think you are almost there when it hits 195, but the last 10 degrees takes a couple of hours.

What is everyone's favorite recipe for burgers ? I like to use 3lbs of store mixed 80/20 and mix with almost 1 pound of original sausage ( i prefer Tn. Pride), mix in a large bowl and add by eye, Country Bob sauce, pepper and garlic. Mash up saltine crackers and mix it all together. Roll the mixture out evenly in balls so that each burger are the same size. I usually get about 8-10 thick, larger patties from that. I will grill them on very high heat for about 4 minutes per side, then shut off the air flow and let them slow cook for about 15 minutes.

Very juicy, flavored burgers is the end result.

Those burgers sound good. One of my favorite things to eat is a good grilled burger.

Back in the day, that is what the ladies called me "Big Smoke". Most did not like the 12 inch tube. LOL, just kidding.

I mostly just use a plan ole Charcoal grill, nothing fancy. If you can cook, you can cook. Hell I grilled some spare ribs on my father in laws "Aussie" grill ($49.95 from Kroger) and the ribs where absolutely great. I do have a big barrell smoker for larger cooks of 10 or more people.
Has anyone ever went to amazingribs.com ? I got a recipe for a rub years ago "Meatheads Memphis Dust" off there, been using it ever since then. It is really good for ribs, shoulders, loin. Been following their rec for internal temp of 204 degrees for pork shoulder / butt and it has not failed me yet. They did some kind of study where 204-205 is when the juices rise from the butt and then settles back on top of it to form the bark. They actually call it a science for grilling. But damn you think you are almost there when it hits 195, but the last 10 degrees takes a couple of hours.

What is everyone's favorite recipe for burgers ? I like to use 3lbs of store mixed 80/20 and mix with almost 1 pound of original sausage ( i prefer Tn. Pride), mix in a large bowl and add by eye, Country Bob sauce, pepper and garlic. Mash up saltine crackers and mix it all together. Roll the mixture out evenly in balls so that each burger are the same size. I usually get about 8-10 thick, larger patties from that. I will grill them on very high heat for about 4 minutes per side, then shut off the air flow and let them slow cook for about 15 minutes.

Very juicy, flavored burgers is the end result.

ADVERTISEMENT