ADVERTISEMENT

Skal eligible

Do you think Skal Labissiere will be cleared to play this year

• Total voters

melvinm

Blue Chip Prospect
Dec 28, 2002
I think he'll have to sit out a few games. Not because they will find anything wrong, just that the NCAA won't be in any hurry to clear him.

I really believe that Coach Cal and our Compliance dept with Sandy Bell has thoroughly checked out the Skal Labissiere case and made sure no issues would come up. There has been talk about his Handler and some that don't trust him but he did say what he asked and inquired to an individual about pay but there was NO money involved. This was similar to the Noel case and the questions that the NCAA had for them. I believe that it being now in October and practice in full swing and games being a month away that there is no issues with Labissiere with the NCAA. If we remember as soon as the DIALLO issues were out there it was announced by the NCAA to the Kansas Jayhawks and everyone knew about the Diallo issues. There hasn't been anything said about the Labissiere case by the NCAA and if there were issues you would have thought everyone including the Experts, Sports Writers, and fans would be writing all sorts of articles about Labissiere have eligibility issues being cleared by the NCAA just like Diallo with Kansas right now.

I really believe that Coach Cal and our Compliance dept with Sandy Bell has thoroughly checked out the Skal Labissiere case and made sure no issues would come up. There has been talk about his Handler and some that don't trust him but he did say what he asked and inquired to an individual about pay but there was NO money involved. This was similar to the Noel case and the questions that the NCAA had for them. I believe that it being now in October and practice in full swing and games being a month away that there is no issues with Labissiere with the NCAA. If we remember as soon as the DIALLO issues were out there it was announced by the NCAA to the Kansas Jayhawks and everyone knew about the Diallo issues. There hasn't been anything said about the Labissiere case by the NCAA and if there were issues you would have thought everyone including the Experts, Sports Writers, and fans would be writing all sorts of articles about Labissiere have eligibility issues being cleared by the NCAA just like Diallo with Kansas right now.
That's what I thought about Enes Kanter too.

I really believe that too many people are still too paranoid over the Kanter case. The NCAA declared him permanently ineligible as a collegiate athlete because he received approximately $33,000 from Fenerbahçe Ülker in excess benefits. The NCAA ruled that this amount was above and beyond what was considered acceptable so Kanter received approx. $67,000. total from Ulker.That is what hurt Kanter and his eligibility with Kentucky. With labissiere there is No Academic Issues and there is No Money Trail like there was with the Kanter case receiving approx. $67,000 from Fenerbahce Ulker which was $33,000 over NCAA acceptable amount.

Glass is half empty with me.. If he is not cleared by Halloween I think he sits out games or becomes another Kanter.

I can't believe this question is even being asked. Sandy Bell and Cal had to know everything was alrigh

Dont compare Skal to Enes.

If you want to compare Skal's situation to anyone, it's more like Cam Newton, with a lot less damning evidence.

If we are comparing Skal to Cam then I really don't feel comfortable with the outcome. Never thought Cam should of played. Not arguing with you but if Cal and Sandy can take chances on recruits without getting in trouble with the NCAA after being found ineligible then why not try ? Will be shocked if he has to sit out. Hope all gets cleared up

Kanter totally diff. situation. We all knew he would be iffy because he did play on a professional team, we just didn't think the corrupt NCAA would rule him ineligible for the whole freaking year. With Skal, his handler made up a Prep (Home School) school so he could play basketball his Sr. yr because he couldn't play for other High School teams. We all heard his handler allegedly wanted money so Skal could play somewhere, so he take advantage of Skal because he took him in. With this guy doing all of this stuff to get him eligible to play High School, the dude is shady enough to get money so he could be ineligible to play college so he could maybe go overseas and make money NOW and not wait. I know I just made up a big conspiracy theory, but it sounds good..lol

If there's no money trail on what grounds could he be ruled ineligible? I think he plays and doesn't even miss an exhibition game but then again, this is the NCAA we're dealing with.

Hopefully like Coach Self at Kansas he has addressed the problems with Diallo a couple of times to the public and the fans. I am hoping we hear something from Coach Cal like Coach Self at KU and we can get a better understanding. I know Coach Cal was asked before back in May or June 2015 and he said back then everything would be fine with Labissiere with his Eligibility and should play from day 1. I hope he makes another statement here soon about Skal Labissiere so like with Kanter we knew he had played professionally with Fenerbahçe Ülker and paid $67,000, which was $33,000 in excess benefits from Fenerbahce Ulker. It would be nice to hear in detail about Skal Labissiere and his Handler and what actually happened in Memphis and what if any are the issues the NCAA might be looking at for his Eligibility at UK. Hopefully, we hear more from Coach Cal on this and where it might stand today like Self has done with DIALLO.

I really believe that too many people are still too paranoid over the Kanter case. The NCAA declared him permanently ineligible as a collegiate athlete because he received approximately $33,000 from Fenerbahçe Ülker in excess benefits. The NCAA ruled that this amount was above and beyond what was considered acceptable so Kanter received approx. $67,000. total from Ulker.That is what hurt Kanter and his eligibility with Kentucky. With labissiere there is No Academic Issues and there is No Money Trail like there was with the Kanter case receiving approx. $67,000 from Fenerbahce Ulker which was $33,000 over NCAA acceptable amount.

You had to google that, admit it. Ha

isn't it fairly common for any incoming freshman to not yet be cleared at this point, mostly because the ncaa moves so slowly? i'd like to know if skal is the only uk player who hasn't been as yet.

The world hates us. The NCAA is out to get us. They sit around for hours thinking of how to take down Kentucky, usually while diabolically stroking a cat in their laps. You can't tell me any different. They'll probably suspend Ulis for only being 5'8" and suspend Mulder for having two of the same initials.

Hopefully like Coach Self at Kansas he has addressed the problems with Diallo a couple of times to the public and the fans. I am hoping we hear something from Coach Cal like Coach Self at KU and we can get a better understanding. I know Coach Cal was asked before back in May or June 2015 and he said back then everything would be fine with Labissiere with his Eligibility and should play from day 1. I hope he makes another statement here soon about Skal Labissiere so like with Kanter we knew he had played professionally with Fenerbahçe Ülker and paid $67,000, which was $33,000 in excess benefits from Fenerbahce Ulker. It would be nice to hear in detail about Skal Labissiere and his Handler and what actually happened in Memphis and what if any are the issues the NCAA might be looking at for his Eligibility at UK. Hopefully, we hear more from Coach Cal on this and where it might stand today like Self has done with DIALLO.

Respectfully, I don't want Coach Cal to do ANYTHING like Coach Self.

Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats 22h22 hours ago

One note on Skal eligibility story: Getting cleared by NCAA was always going to be a last-minute thing. UK has been confident it'll happen.

I think he'll have to sit out a few games. Not because they will find anything wrong, just that the NCAA won't be in any hurry to clear him.
Hasn't it already been posted that the ncaa doesn't have to clear him? He's already eligible and will play, unless the ncaa comes in to rule otherwise.

You don't know the specifics to say one way or another. If he or his handler accepted monetary benefits then it's a question of how much? John Wall and Josh Selby sat out a few games for small amounts. If this is like $50K then it's a different story.

Those saying you can't compare to Kanter are looking at it in hind sight. We didn't know the true reason until late in the process, this early on most thought he would be cleared. So we actually can compare to Kanter as both are dealing with allegations of accepting money.

You don't know the specifics to say one way or another. If he or his handler accepted monetary benefits then it's a question of how much? John Wall and Josh Selby sat out a few games for small amounts. If this is like $50K then it's a different story.

Those saying you can't compare to Kanter are looking at it in hind sight. We didn't know the true reason until late in the process, this early on most thought he would be cleared. So we actually can compare to Kanter as both are dealing with allegations of accepting money.

We knew the true reason as the Kanter's had the money available to return. It seemed to be all a question of the amount. (As I remember it.) No money involved as far as playing in this incident. No amateur/ professional issue either. Not hind-sight at all.

Reactions: brianpoe
We knew the true reason as the Kanter's had the money available to return. It seemed to be all a question of the amount. (As I remember it.) No money involved in this incident. No amateur/ professional issue either. Not hind-sight at all.

You have no idea what is involved in this case.

We had no idea on Kanter until before the ruling, that's when info was leaked about what was being considered.

We had no idea on Kanter until before the ruling, that's when info was leaked about what was being considered.

I do not remember it that way. With Enes it was always about his amateur status. Always. The money played a factor as to the amounts. (I may be off a little about the money but it was his amateur status from the beginning.

Hasn't it already been posted that the ncaa doesn't have to clear him? He's already eligible and will play, unless the ncaa comes in to rule otherwise.

Innocent until proven guilty? No that isn't how the NCAA works. All incoming freshmen in every sport must register with the NCAA Eligibility Center. They must be 'cleared' before they can play. The NCAA clears Fall Sports participants first and then Winter Sports. It is not uncommon for basketball players to be cleared in September and October. Skal's background of multiple high schools, unusual high school playing career and being a high profile recruit would focus more attention.

I think that is difference in the Diallo case vs. Labissiere right now. The NCAA had done an investigation on Diallo and the top players always receive a more thorough investigation. Once they were completed with their Investigation they had sent Kansas and Bill Self what they had found and that is why Kansas and Diallo are now sending more information back to the NCAA that hopefully will help in the Diallo Eligibility at Kansas. With Labissiere as it was said earlier this week that Labissiere is on the roster and has been practicing since Day One. If more information was needed just like in the Diallo case then we would have heard what was happening with the investigation and if Kentucky would have to send in more paperwork that would help Labissiere case just like they are doing for Diallo right now at Kansas. Even with the Kanter case we all knew there might be a problem with Kanter playing professional ball in the EuroLeague and had received money and benefits. The NCAA at that time was looking into the international players and looking at trying to make it easier for them to become eligible and play in the NCAA. Before, Kanter would have been ruled immediately that he was eligible to play at all Kentucky because he received in excess of benefits $33,000 from Fenerbahçe Ülker in the EuroLeague and they sent to the NCAA how much was paid to the Kanters which was approx. $67,000 which was $33,000 in excess benefits paid to the Kanters. So, that is the huge difference in the Kanter case vs. the Labissiere Case.

Dont compare Skal to Enes.

If you want to compare Skal's situation to anyone, it's more like Cam Newton, with a lot less damning evidence.
There is no comparison whatsoever between Skal Labissiere and Cam Newton, other than that Labissiere will play.

You are the one that was and is clueless. We knew Kanter had taken money, we also knew that Emmert knew when he was at Washington. When asked about Kanter's eligibility after receiving expense money from a pro team, Emmert said they anticipated no problem.

His parents went out of their way to ensure his eligibility remained intact for college ball in America. That was their plan all along. The extra money was kept in a separate account so it could be returned if necessary.

You voted NO because that's the type of person you are. Spineless. You hope to hedge your bet in case he is ruled ineligible for some bogus reason. Then you can come here and gloat. I think you suck. Vote on that.

This s not a story, why are we making it a story! Dozens and dozens of kids haven't been cleared yet, this is not unusual

Interesting group of no votes, not casting any negatives on UK fans that have this opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT