ADVERTISEMENT

Since Cal Works for/ Reports To Barnhart Why Can’t Barnhart Demand Coach Cal Be More Respectful In The Way Coach Cal Address’s The UK Fanbase

It could, but I don’t recall the fans ever winning us a championship or taking us to 1 F4, let alone 4. I don't know of many fans that have done for the state and it's citizens what Cal has done. Seems like the scales certainly tip more in 1 sides favor. 🤔
None of them would have a job without the fans that spend money to watch and buy merchandise.

There's plenty of coaches around the country at schools without a ton of fan support. They still survive.
What schools are those? Any of them blue blood programs?

I have news for you, most programs don't care all the much about basketball. More importantly than that, UK cares more about basketball than any other program and it's not close. You are trying to compare schools like Arizona State snd New Hampshire Tech to UK, but nice try.

Don't sit there and act like the state of the program is fine and Cal is doing a good job.

They don't make $9 million a year either. Some probably have to do more than just coach to make a living.
They are also fans by choice. None of this is forced on them. Respect is a 2 way street. If they aren't going to show it towards him, why should he towards them?

I'm not saying people can't be critical, but calling for people to picket him, make his life miserable, getting him fired, creating weird nicknames and being asses in general isn't going to go over well. He's only going to reciprocate that at a certain point, as most of us would.

What schools are those? Any of them blue blood programs?

I have news for you, most programs don't care all the much about basketball. More importantly than that, UK cares more about basketball than any other program and it's not close. You are trying to compare schools like Arizona State snd New Hampshire Tech to UK, but nice try.

Don't sit there and act like the state of the program is fine and Cal is doing a good job.
Baylor would be one. And they just won a NC not too long ago. Hell, they don't even pay Drew that well after the fact.

UCLA fans could not care less about basketball.

Lol, what's wrong with the state of the program other than us not winning as many games as you think we should have? You should definitely tell recruits about this bad state of the program. They seem to be committing like things are fine. 🤣

They are also fans by choice. None of this is forced on them. Respect is a 2 way street. If they aren't going to show it towards him, why should he towards them?

I'm not saying people can't be critical, but calling for people to picket him, make his life miserable, getting him fired, creating weird nicknames and being asses in general isn't going to go over well. He's only going to reciprocate that at a certain point, as most of us would.
Why do you think UK is able to pay Cal 9 million a year?

Why are Mark Few, Tony Bennett and Scott Drew making so much less than Cal, even though they have had far more recent success and their schools would greatly suffer if they left?

Was Cal treated like a God for most of his time here, or not?

Are you going to deny that Cal has been talking down to and negatively about the BBN, WHILE, he has been greatly underperforming?

Don’t put this on the fans. You can't be proud of the passion the BBN has, then act shocked when the fanbase gets pissed when Cal drives the program off the cliff and shits on the fans in the process, all because his priorities are not where they should be.

You can't expect the most passionate fans in cbb to just sit quietly and turn off their passion so we don't hurt Cal's feelings. The job Cal has done these last few years, is not okay.

I may be different. But I don’t give a crap how any Coach addresses me as a fan. This isn’t me taking up for cal. I feel the same about all coaches. They don’t owe me anything except a winning product. Just win. Nothing else matters

This. Those that do worry about it are the segment of the fanbase that needs to get a life.

Baylor would be one. And they just won a NC not too long ago. Hell, they don't even pay Drew that well after the fact.

UCLA fans could not care less about basketball.

Lol, what's wrong with the state of the program other than us not winning as many games as you think we should have? You should definitely tell recruits about this bad state of the program. They seem to be committing like things are fine. 🤣
You just proved my point. You literally just agreed with what I said and agreed that the BBN is the reason Cal is making so much money.

And if you think the state of the program is fine, then this conversation is over. You’re either a troll, or you are a casual fan.

If you actually are a UK fan, I can't stand fans like you, you guys come around once a while after you took the time to watch a couple games and you really don't care that much about UK basketball. I literally don't respect anything you have to say here, because you simply don't think UK BB is important at all.

• Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086
If Barney had a set of nuts, which he doesn't, he'd immediately suspend Cal for poor performance. Pay his worthless ass, just don't let him near the team. He'd leave in a matter of weeks. F him, worthless prick.
That would probably be in violation of the contract. Cal is the head basketball coach. You can't just suspend him and put someone else in charge because we are not performing well. I wish coaches contracts were constructed like that, but I am not aware of any that are.

Why do you think UK is able to pay Cal 9 million a year?

Why are Mark Few, Tony Bennett and Scott Drew making so much less than Cal, even though they have had far more recent success and their schools would greatly suffer if they left?

Was Cal treated like a God for most of his time here, or not?

Are you going to deny that Cal has been talking down to and negatively about the BBN, WHILE, he has been greatly underperforming?

Don’t put this on the fans. You can't be proud of the passion the BBN has, then act shocked when the fanbase gets pissed when Cal drives the program off the cliff and shits on the fans in the process, all because his priorities are not where they should be.

You can't expect the most passionate fans in cbb to just sit quietly and turn off their passion so we don't hurt Cal's feelings. The job Cal has done these last few years, is not okay.
The answer to your first 2 questions:

H6BecfZ9_400x400.jpg

He was treated like a God until he lost. Even as far back as Cal's first year, people were melting down after each loss or close game.

I have never actually heard Cal talk negatively about the fans. He has referenced the basketball bennies, but that isn't exactly bad. It's pretty true. Most every UK fan thinks they know more than they actually do about coaching and playing basketball.

I do put much of it on the fans. Fans can be passionate, critical, and angry while still being respectful. Far too many of our fans struggle with that realization.
You just proved my point. You literally just agreed with what I said and agreed that the BBN is the reason Cal is making so much money.

And if you think the state of the program is fine, then this conversation is over. You’re either a troll, or you are a casual fan.

If you actually are a UK fan, I can't stand fans like you, you guys come around once a while after you took the time to watch a couple games and you really don't care that much about UK basketball. I literally don't respect anything you have to say here, because you simply don't think UK BB is important at all.

No, I didn't. I pointed to Mitch as the reason. We could have done much better negotiating.

So you can't point to anything of why the program is bad other than not winning as much as you would prefer?

Lol, okay, if you say so, bud!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: kyjeff1
There's plenty of coaches around the country at schools without a ton of fan support. They still survive.
I don't think most D1 HC coaches are making less than 6 figures or working 2 jobs. Most of them aren't at schools with revenue-generating sports, let alone with major fan support. So something tells me it is more common than you think. Ever been to an NKU, EKU, WKU, or Murray St. game outside of the big-name opponents? Yet, they all still survive and make a good living with little to no fan support. All of them are even pretty successful for the size and level of programs that they are.

• Haha
The answer to your first 2 questions:

H6BecfZ9_400x400.jpg

He was treated like a God until he lost. Even as far back as Cal's first year, people were melting down after each loss or close game.

I have never actually heard Cal talk negatively about the fans. He has referenced the basketball bennies, but that isn't exactly bad. It's pretty true. Most every UK fan thinks they know more than they actually do about coaching and playing basketball.

I do put much of it on the fans. Fans can be passionate, critical, and angry while still being respectful. Far too many of our fans struggle with that realization.

No, I didn't. I pointed to Mitch as the reason. We could have done much better negotiating.

So you can't point to anything of why the program is bad other than not winning as much as you would prefer?

Lol, okay, if you say so, bud!
You are so wrong about everything, it's not even worth my time to debate it. You’re obviously a casual fan and pretty freaking oblivious too.

It's hilarious to me that you think Barnhart supplies the money that Cal makes.

Without the massive UK fanbase, Cal wouldn’t make the money he makes and our players wouldn’t be making the NIL money they are making. Those are facts.

I think one of the things that has really irritated the UK Fan Base is the lack of respect Coach Cal shows the UK fan base by the way he talks down to us like we know nothing about basketball. Maybe Barnhart can’t fire Cal because of the ridiculous lifetime contract 😩Barnhart gave Cal but I would think Barnfart could insist that Cal try to mend the bridges and the divide Cal has caused by talking down to the BBN. Should Cal choose not to take this direct edict from his boss Barnhart and be more respectful to the UK BBN fanbase than fire Cal on grounds of insubordination. Cal has got to understand that in no way is he singularly bigger than BBN as a whole. Eat some humble pie Coach Cal or get the hell out of dodge!
You think MB is respectful? 😂

It could, but I don’t recall the fans ever winning us a championship or taking us to 1 F4, let alone 4. I don't know of many fans that have done for the state and it's citizens what Cal has done. Seems like the scales certainly tip more in 1 sides favor. 🤔
Except maintain the program that Rupp built you mean? Cal wouldn’t have a home if not for fans. Of course you know that Baller. How did you go from Baller to Praetorian Cat? Fall off the “rails” again? Yeah, you did. Slope is a lot slippery these days man. How many usernames you got lined up? I’m gonna spot every one and call you out.

I'm sensing a deal could be struck...we need to sell Cal on everything Iowa City has to offer. Are you guys cool with being a G league farm team? Do you have a few million you could throw his way towards his buyout? Have your people call our people

PS: no take-backs

Offer him his own private table at the Machine Shed, and a statue at Scheel’s.

Matt Jones stated last week that Cal and Barnhart don't talk.

I don’t know how many times this must be said. I’ve said it for over 10 years and this came from a man that was involved in the hiring process straight to my uncle who was one of his best friend in college and beyond.

Barnhart did not want Calipari to begin with and was forced to make the hire. He then said if he must hire Calipari his hands are washed of it, and Calipari and Barnhart have NEVER had a relationship at all. Calipari wanted the job in 2006 and Barnhart said no, after Gillispie the hire was taken away from him. Any report from the president or anyone after that was just a way to make Barnhart look better. It was fluff lies intended to calm the situation.

This is why Peevy was given the reigns over the basketball program.

Barnhart is essentially laughing right now because he thinks he was right to begin with and Calipari was a con all along. He thinks he’s being vindicated. He’s not gonna budge.

There’s a lot more to that relationship that this board never would accept and for whatever reason still doesn’t.

I don’t care if all of this is “allegedly”, I believe it to be 100% and it all lines up to anyone who was paying close attention. I also have a good friend who’s father is very influential at Memphis that said this is what friends of Calipari know back in Mtown. Calipari and Barnhart are antithetical in lifestyle and mission and it’s never been a match from the beginning.

• Love
Reactions: kywildcat41086
I don't think most D1 HC coaches are making less than 6 figures or working 2 jobs. Most of them aren't at schools with revenue-generating sports, let alone with major fan support. So something tells me it is more common than you think. Ever been to an NKU, EKU, WKU, or Murray St. game outside of the big-name opponents? Yet, they all still survive and make a good living with little to no fan support. All of them are even pretty successful for the size and level of programs that they are.
Actually Murray state supports their team very well, big game or not.

Reactions: Gromcat
My concern about Barnhart is these ridiculous contracts he continues to hand out. Why start paying Stoops $9,000,000 as of 2/1/23. He will be the third highest paid coach in the SEC. What other school was coming after Stoops to warrant bumping his salary from $6,000,000 to $9,000,000?
Also, way extend Women’s basketball coach Kyra Ezry and give a hefty pay raise after a so, so season last year. I have met her and she is absolutely one of the most delightful and lovely young ladies I have ever met. However on on on court results last year were not worthy of a pay raise and contract extension. Quite simply Barnfart needs to be shown the door as soon as possible.

Damn, I was hoping maybe a trade of coaches and maybe some future recruits we could throw in too.
Don't think you could throw in the recruits, I think most would be gone anyway. But if they follow the posts on here they may be leaving anyway.

Last edited:
Try approaching it from a different angle. If the 5 star recruits stop committing to UK, then either Cal would have no choice but to leave or the admin would have to dump the chump.
Right, who needs five star recruits, two stars are easier to manage.

You guys know that Barnhart hates cal and never wanted to hire him in the first place? They have never talked to begin with and go through middle men.

Imagine youre an AD and cant even talk to your programs 10M a year coach. Barnhart needs to be fired so quick, his last pick as Bball coach was Billy G and were somehow below that rn bc of his contract.

Reactions: Gromcat

Yeah they tilt more in that 10 mil a year he robbed Mitch Barnhart, UK and others for TV and radio shows etc. with somewhere down the line which whom come from UK fans and alumni who pay for tickets and go listen to him talk about Gold Standards and he forgets to tell em its Gold Plated Standards. Hell, with the Gold. Unless we getting gold rings for getting to the FF or something. I'm a basketball Bennie and I'm asking coach Dumbass Dennie "Vinny" will he have his boys to put that orange ball through that orange hoop next game please!! Well I doubt he can but he knows Toppin can jump 40 feet inch verticals and that's hell of a stat to keep. How many ballgames has that won for us this yr??? How many Gold Plated rings will that win us at a bball game. Let him go run track and wit that Leap.. too bad he didn't show it to Nate Oats today... Eewwww scary....

🎼Johnny's daddy was taking him fishing when he was 8 yrs old. Same ole boy same sweet girl 65 yrs down the road. Oh God please don't take the girl!! 🤔🤔😳 ⚖️🎼

Why can't somenody come and get Johnny and take him to Lake Cumberland fishing.

Jeff I think this guy is Brad. I don’t think He has been around too long. . Cal will have his whole family posting here before too long.

Jeff I think this guy is Brad. I don’t think He has been around too long. . Cal will have his whole family posting here before too long.
I imagine his family doesn't post on twitter very much anymore, because even they know they can't defend Cal.

Here is the issue plain and simple.....you can do what you want without worrying about the fans when you have a STUPID lifetime contract with $$$$ million buyout.

I think one of the things that has really irritated the UK Fan Base is the lack of respect Coach Cal shows the UK fan base by the way he talks down to us like we know nothing about basketball. Maybe Barnhart can’t fire Cal because of the ridiculous lifetime contract 😩Barnhart gave Cal but I would think Barnfart could insist that Cal try to mend the bridges and the divide Cal has caused by talking down to the BBN. Should Cal choose not to take this direct edict from his boss Barnhart and be more respectful to the UK BBN fanbase than fire Cal on grounds of insubordination. Cal has got to understand that in no way is he singularly bigger than BBN as a whole. Eat some humble pie Coach Cal or get the hell out of dodge!
Cause Cal is deBOSS

I’ve read many times on here that a coaches job is to win games. Stroking the fans are not part of the job. Isn’t that what you guys say?

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
My need for Cal to be respectful to me as a fan is literally the least important thing on the list. Sure it would be nice, all I want is for him to be the basketball coach he's paid to be.

Never happen. Barnhart is too political to do his job as an AD. At this point, Cal doesn't work for Barnhart because Barnhart hasn't made that perfectly clear to Cal. Remember after the Tennessee game in Knoxville when Cal wanted everyone to know the Capitulo attended the game, which was strange. I "assume" Barnhart did not attend for whatever reason, but Cal has always been one to drive wedges. Calipari is no one's friend, including BBN. You cannot be friends with someone who expects to have their ass kissed 24/7. If you don't love Cal, just know that he hates you. Barnhart doesn't have the constitution to stand up the public persona of Calipari and Cal knows it ... and that's a problem. Calipari has completely gone rogue and will not be reined in by Barnhart. JMO.

Not the fan base. Some thin skinned people in the fan base.

It doesn’t bother me how Cal talks. Pitino was far more irritating. But he didn’t concern me either.

Tubby needed an interpreter. So what?

People cried about the “Texas Tuff”.

I’ve heard old interviews with Rupp. Oh my!! What would the PC crowd do with Rupp?

I’m still trying to find proof that Cal called anyone a basketball Bennie.

That does seem to cause quite a bit of butthurt if he did.

If you don’t like to listen to Cal then don’t listen. That will get the sponsor’s attention.

They will tell Cal to be nice and play pattycakes.

Barnfart doesn't even talk to Calipari anymore much less crack the whip and tell him to get in line with the fans.
MB is too busy working on new talking points about how selling alcohol to the big $$$ boosters at football games is OK but, we can't let the Average Joe fans in on the fun.
That idiot equated the entire UK fanbase to a "microwave society" because we wanted Joker gone. The result was a empty Commonwealth Stadium and a 40-0 beatdown by Vandy.
Basketball is headed the same direction.

ADVERTISEMENT